Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Pretty sure putting "Private" in the name makes that a step sideways instead of forward. :v:

True, and the full version is called "Frost - Browser & Image Hider", which will surely raise some questions when seen by people playing with the phone, nothing more piques a persons curiosity than something "hidden". (I can hear SOs from all over the world already asking "what do you need to hide from me?")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I'm sure this has been answered but I searched hard and got nothing: What's the best way to sync your Facebook contacts' pictures to your phone/Google contacts? I tried the popular Contact-sync app but it was a bit buggy and wouldn't sync pictures to my Google account, meaning the pictures go away if I delete the app. Any better options out there?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

bvoid posted:

I'm sure this has been answered but I searched hard and got nothing: What's the best way to sync your Facebook contacts' pictures to your phone/Google contacts? I tried the popular Contact-sync app but it was a bit buggy and wouldn't sync pictures to my Google account, meaning the pictures go away if I delete the app. Any better options out there?

I've used this one for ages: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nN5bmNteXBpeCJd

Does a pretty good job of matching contacts, and stores the photos in the google contact.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

stormrider posted:

I've used this one for ages: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nN5bmNteXBpeCJd

Does a pretty good job of matching contacts, and stores the photos in the google contact.

This seemed to do the trick, thanks!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Anyone having issues with iSyncR wifi after the jellybean update? It went from working flawlessly to not copying half my playlist, and deleting everything if I have autosync turned on.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

Anyone having issues with iSyncR wifi after the jellybean update? It went from working flawlessly to not copying half my playlist, and deleting everything if I have autosync turned on.

I ran into a problem with the most recent update. I'm not running JB, but it was something similar, where it would only copy half of the files over. I ended up deleting the music folder and settings folder, and resyncing everything. Haven't really had any troubles since then.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

vonManstein posted:

True, and the full version is called "Frost - Browser & Image Hider", which will surely raise some questions when seen by people playing with the phone, nothing more piques a persons curiosity than something "hidden". (I can hear SOs from all over the world already asking "what do you need to hide from me?")

It just shows up as "Frost" once you install it.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Is there an app that will yell at me to pack an umbrella if there is rain tomorrow?

Edit, nm there is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jerrellmardis.umbrella&hl=en

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Google Fiber announcement is looking really interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uZVqPuq81c

Hoping this will integrate with my new Sony GTV soon!

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
This isn't an app, but another way to get a weather forecast without an app that I found. If you go to Weather Underground and copy the link address for "Download iCal" (the blue arrow next to the RSS icon) you can add that iCal to Google Calendar (add by URL). It'll show up on your calendar widgets, etc with no other app needed.

Google Calendar has the ability to do this natively but the forecast given isn't as detailed.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 26, 2012

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Whats the best app to read ebooks (specifically ePub format) with? I'm not sure if its the file or the app but my experience with the Nook app is really really horrible right now.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
edit: gently caress wrong thread.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 26, 2012

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

ilkhan posted:

Whats the best app to read ebooks (specifically ePub format) with? I'm not sure if its the file or the app but my experience with the Nook app is really really horrible right now.
From the last page:

DemonMage posted:

Aldiko for eBooks.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Moon+ Reader for ePub. I'm not sure anything but the Amazon app can read Mobi though.

edit: I lied, there's a few that handle Mobi. FBReader perhaps?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

ilkhan posted:

I use Aldiko pretty much everyday for this.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Aldiko is my absolute favorite because it's the only eBook reader I've found that lets me set not-enormous margins. I don't understand why everybody else thinks it's okay to waste about a quarter of the screen on whitespace.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Glimm posted:

Google Fiber announcement is looking really interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uZVqPuq81c

Hoping this will integrate with my new Sony GTV soon!

Er, what's the deal with the first few minutes just being this stupid gummy rabbit that I want to eat? I'll have to watch the whole thing when I get out of work I guess :(

e; This guys pretty entertaining to listen to, really charismatic
e2; haha, oh god. The two guys that come out to demo the difference in speeds. So cheesey.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 26, 2012

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Any recommendations for a decent spreadsheet application? Excel interoperability isn't a huge factor, though would be nice. I'd be using this mainly on a tablet.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

blugu64 posted:

Any recommendations for a decent spreadsheet application? Excel interoperability isn't a huge factor, though would be nice. I'd be using this mainly on a tablet.

Google docs?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

rotaryfun posted:

Google docs?

Google Docs was replaced by Google Drive.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Google Docs was replaced by Google Drive.

Well aren't we pedantic.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What is the deal with minimalistic text and ics? It seems to have been updated to support it, but but i see zero widgets for it despite having them enabled

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

rotaryfun posted:

Google docs?

The spreadsheet component is almost unusable IMO. I use Documents to go which works okayish but is fairly pricey.

Roundboy posted:

What is the deal with minimalistic text and ics? It seems to have been updated to support it, but but i see zero widgets for it despite having them enabled

Try rebooting the phone - occasionally things will just not show in the widget section of the app drawer after being installed/updated

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
What do you guys use for wi-fi file transfer? I've been using Kies air but it's a little unwieldy and I'm guessing there is a better 3rd party app.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Samba Filesharing, requires root though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bomblol posted:

What do you guys use for wi-fi file transfer? I've been using Kies air but it's a little unwieldy and I'm guessing there is a better 3rd party app.
Three options I'd point you to:

AirDroid - AirDroid basically allows you to use your browser to manage your phone. It's really simple to set up and use.

EStrongs File Manager - This is a file browser for your phone that also allows you to do root browsing (if you're rooted), FTP, Bluetooth, Cloud services, and network shares. This is how I move files to and from my device.

Lastly, as bomblol mentioned, is Samba Filesharing - This is only one of the options that requires root but with it you get the convenience of using your computer's native file browser to access your phone as you would a network share which is a lot easier than doing all of that in the phone's UI. Of course the downside is that you have to manually start and stop the server so you're going to be fiddling with your phone anyway which is why I've always just gone ahead and used the phone to browse the computer rather than the other way around.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

AirDroid is great. It's pretty sleek, simple, and does everything I've needed it to.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

rotaryfun posted:

Well aren't we pedantic.

Yes, because there isn't an app in the Play Store called Google Docs.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yes, because there isn't an app in the Play Store called Google Docs.

I don't think anyone is going to have a problem trying to find Google Docs any time soon.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I think renaming the app was pretty dumb, it seems like there should have been a more elegant solution. Especially as when it updated from Docs to Drive it left the shortcut on my home screen in a broken state.

Granted, pretty much anyone posting in the thread can fix that one for themselves, but they really shouldn't have to.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Is Haxsync better or worse at syncing Facebook contacts than what Friendcaster has built in? Friendcaster gets the job done, but the pictures are awful, was wondering if Haxsync was better.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I got really tired of transferring and managing folders on my Nexus via Windows as a Media Device so I installed FTPServer for Android. Fantastic program, the only thing missing is SSL but that's a minor gripe.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lutey.FTPServer&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Athenry posted:

Is Haxsync better or worse at syncing Facebook contacts than what Friendcaster has built in? Friendcaster gets the job done, but the pictures are awful, was wondering if Haxsync was better.
HaxSync pulls high quality images and also adds status updates and other stuff to their contact stream like the built-in G+ integration (this assumes you're on ICS or JB, I don't think it even works at all on older versions since it was specifically made to replace the broken official Facebook app's integration).

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
What is the best podcast app? Podcasts consume the vast majority of my listening and getting them easily is the only reason I even looked at the iPhone 4s. Manually uploading with wires is a pain, especially if there's one you want to download during the workday to listen on the drive home.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

mugrim posted:

What is the best podcast app? Podcasts consume the vast majority of my listening and getting them easily is the only reason I even looked at the iPhone 4s. Manually uploading with wires is a pain, especially if there's one you want to download during the workday to listen on the drive home.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts&hl=en

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Is that new? Seemed like I only really had BeyondPod and Doggcatcher to choose from, both around $5, when I was looking last year. (There were others, but they were terrible.) I chose Doggcatcher mostly because I preferred its aesthetics.

Also had to buy Presto separately for faster listening.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Have you used this with a large number of podcasts? If I'm going "Light" on podcast it means I have 50 - 200 at any time, but all the screen caps are for totals as low as 5. I know some music software can get serious slowdown from large libraries.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

mugrim posted:

Have you used this with a large number of podcasts? If I'm going "Light" on podcast it means I have 50 - 200 at any time, but all the screen caps are for totals as low as 5. I know some music software can get serious slowdown from large libraries.

Honestly, I don't know. I've got 8 subscribed podcasts (that I have the app download instead of stream since I have no signal at work) with about 20 episodes each because I'm always behind. I haven't noticed any type of slow down.

My only real complaint is that the widget sucks rear end. I don't really mind it though since PocketCasts uses Android 4.0+'s lockscreen controls.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

DoggCatcher and BeyondPod have free trials so I recommend checking them out at least. I definitely appreciate DoggCatcher's widget and lock-screen controls. It does seem to take longer to update feeds than it should.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

teethgrinder posted:

DoggCatcher and BeyondPod have free trials so I recommend checking them out at least. I definitely appreciate DoggCatcher's widget and lock-screen controls. It does seem to take longer to update feeds than it should.

I can't find a trial for doggcatcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Two people have sent me pictures via Go SMS Pro on ICS and I didn't get the pictures. I was able to send a picture fine. This is happening on a SGS3. I didn't have this problem with the same app on my Droid X.

Anyone know anything about this?

• Locked thread