Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
How can you spankies that which does not exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well that wasn't what I was expecting at all.

Come to think of it I don't even know what it was I was expecting, however I can tell you it wasn't that! I love this comic.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The greatest trick Coyote ever pulled was convincing the world he does not exist.

Alternatively: If Coyote did not exist, we would have had to invent him.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Nipponophile posted:

The greatest trick Coyote ever pulled was convincing the world he does not exist.

No no, him not existing is the great secret. The trick was him convincing the world that he DOES exist. :eng101:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Coyote is Ysengrin's Tyler Durden :catstare:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Cyphoderus posted:

Coyote is Ysengrin's Tyler Durden :catstare:

That would make Ysengrin and Coyote's earlier visit to the Court pretty interesting. No wonder the Court doesn't take the forest seriously.

Someone with more photoshop skills than I should edit coyote out of some earlier chapters, Garfield minus Garfield style.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Fellis posted:

That would make Ysengrin and Coyote's earlier visit to the Court pretty interesting. No wonder the Court doesn't take the forest seriously.

Someone with more photoshop skills than I should edit coyote out of some earlier chapters, Garfield minus Garfield style.
And so a new meme was born.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Tiny detail: on the left-most skull, a single tooth is detached from the jawbone. That's the sword tooth.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Monday had better have a good explanation for this.

Junker
Mar 30, 2009
I'm confused...

So Jones is a robot?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Junker posted:

I'm confused...

So Jones is a robot?

A beginner's primer to Gunnerkrigg Court:

1) Jones is not a robot.
2) That guy is Eglamore.
3) Coyote does not exist.

I dunno, seems pretty straightfoward to me.

(:psyduck:)

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
See, now this is a cliffhanger.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shavnir posted:

Heh, people saying they were surprised that the one before Coyote revealed his secret wasn't on a Friday. Should've known the Friday would be something much more bizzare.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

One thing I do know is that I want panel 2 as my next avatar.

Edit: Coyote may not exist in the traditional sense, and is actually a manifestation created by people telling stories about him ala American Gods. He loves humans because they literally create and sustain him by telling stories about him.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 27, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ATP_Power posted:

My secret... is this...

You'll have a running theme!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Monday's strip will be a photo of Tom putting the finishing touches on today's strip. It will be the last Gunnerkrigg Court update.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Nipponophile posted:

Monday's strip will be a photo of Tom putting the finishing touches on today's strip. It will be the last Gunnerkrigg Court update.

Wait...Tom is about a month or two ahead in updates right? And he quit his job about a month or two...

It wasn't so he could work on Gunnerkrigg full time at all! It was so he would have time to go into hiding from the legions of fans out for blood!

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Zenzirouj posted:

So this page is interesting or whatever but I had a funny mental image produced by the discussion spawned by Coyote's narration. Since the whole comic is ostensibly a flashback being told by Annie, I'm gonna imagine that that part of the story was where Coyote butted in and started talking over her.

Was actually gonna mention this - Annie's early narration combined with Coyote jumping in there is why I both didn't mind Coyote's interjection and sort of an intriguing facet - who would they be telling these events to? Someone from the Court, or the Forest?

That being said, what the hell is this.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ATP_Power posted:

Edit: Coyote may not exist in the traditional sense, and is actually a manifestation created by people telling stories about him ala American Gods. He loves humans because they literally create and sustain him by telling stories about him.

I don't know... I think if belief or stories had that much power, the court would know about it and be experimenting with it and we the readers would already be aware of it.

But seriously, the gently caress?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

VanSandman posted:

I don't know... I think if belief or stories had that much power, the court would know about it and be experimenting with it and we the readers would already be aware of it.

But seriously, the gently caress?

Maybe they are. We don't know how Etheric stuff works, and there are robots that seemingly work by magic. Maybe they work because they look like robots, and people believe robots should work, so it makes them work.

Maybe Jones isn't the robot after all, maybe it's Coyote!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

Maybe they are. We don't know how Etheric stuff works, and there are robots that seemingly work by magic. Maybe they work because they look like robots, and people believe robots should work, so it makes them work.

Maybe Jones isn't the robot after all, maybe it's Coyote!

Coyote is clearly a figment of his own imagination. It's the only possible explanation :colbert:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010
I read today's update right when it went up in the early morning and I've got to say I found it genuinely creepy. The way I interpreted it, with Coyote acknowledging that he's a fictional character, it felt kind of eerie, like the comic itself was turning to face me, the reader, and saying "yes, I see you." Maybe if I read the comic in the afternoon, as I usually do, it wouldn't have affected me so much, but it definitely jolted me awake.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

I read today's update right when it went up in the early morning and I've got to say I found it genuinely creepy. The way I interpreted it, with Coyote acknowledging that he's a fictional character, it felt kind of eerie, like the comic itself was turning to face me, the reader, and saying "yes, I see you." Maybe if I read the comic in the afternoon, as I usually do, it wouldn't have affected me so much, but it definitely jolted me awake.

I imagine you don't follow a lot of comics then? Breaking the fourth wall and having characters/the comic acknowledge their own fictional nature is hardly something rare.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

ATP_Power posted:

The same, but with the confusing extraneous stuff removed:

Third panel:

Edit: I can also tool around with these if people are looking for one to be a bit different.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
This page is incredibly sad more than anything. Just, poor Coyote :smith:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So, I'm guessing that he's only referring to the physical entity of Coyote that Annie and everyone else actually interact with. That it isn't real, but just some kind of imaginary construct or manifestation of whatever "Coyote" really is.

And if I had to guess that, I'd say he's just, like, the whole universe, man.

e: More theorizing: Based on the skull imagery and Ysengrin's apprehension, this may be the last time we see Coyote in the comic. Now that his secret is revealed, he will cease to be.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 27, 2012

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Fellis posted:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Jeez Elgamore get OVER it

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Coyote is the Hobbes to humanity's Calvin.

Bocom
Apr 3, 2009

No alibi
No justice
No dream
No hope
This is the Gunnerkrigg equivalent of Garfield minus Garfield.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
They were made because someone asked for 'the Gunnerkrigg equivalent of Garfield minus Garfield' something like five posts up, dude.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Fellis posted:

Wait...Tom is about a month or two ahead in updates right? And he quit his job about a month or two...

It wasn't so he could work on Gunnerkrigg full time at all! It was so he would have time to go into hiding from the legions of fans out for blood!

Tom can't go into hiding until he releases a a forest logo shirt. :colbert:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tom should totally replace the comics in his archive with these comics, just to see the fan reaction.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
So, this opens a new big :can: for the comic. Coyote does not exist. What about the things that Coyote created? The Coyote tooth? The shadow people? Does Shadow2 exist?

Maybe even magic itself?

What about Ysengrin and Reynardine? They are magical dogs similar to Coyote, do they exist? If they are non-beings created or influenced by the perceptions of others, that could relate to their friendship with Annie; because she stopped perceiving them as hostile, they stopped being so. I am thinking a bit back on this page.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shavnir posted:

No, no it isn't.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cowcaster posted:

No, no it isn't.

Wikipedia posted:

A cliffhanger or cliffhanger ending is a plot device in fiction which features a main character in a precarious or difficult dilemma, or confronted with a shocking revelation at the end of an episode of serialized fiction.
It's not really a dilemma or problem. Yes, it's a revelation, but it's not like anyone is in any danger. Nobody is hanging off of a cliff.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

What if it doesn't matter that coyote doesn't exist because nothing exists all reality is an illusion:catdrugs:

Bocom
Apr 3, 2009

No alibi
No justice
No dream
No hope

flatluigi posted:

They were made because someone asked for 'the Gunnerkrigg equivalent of Garfield minus Garfield' something like five posts up, dude.

Apparently I missed those exact words in that post. That's what I get for skimming the thread. :shobon:

Elysiume posted:

It's not really a dilemma or problem. Yes, it's a revelation, but it's not like anyone is in any danger. Nobody is hanging off of a cliff.

It's a shocking revelation at the end of the week! It's a (kinda tenuous) cliffhanger in that sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Elysiume posted:

More importantly, the plot itself is not being left hanging. If there were an antimony symbol at the bottom left corner of the page, and then on Monday we started up a new chapter about Kat fighting aliens from space, then it would be a cliffhanger because everything about the revelation would be put on hold completely unresolved. As it is there's no reason not to expect literally the next page to keep moving the plot forward.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 28, 2012