Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Your printer is only "within wired distance anyway" partially because it needs to be babysat but mostly because it has to be. It has to be because most 3D printers are where [paper] printers were 15-20 years ago: dumb devices that need to be connected to a print server to do anything.

The cool things that will come when 3D printers become wifi-connected are all the exact same awesome and freeing things that came when [paper] printers no longer needed to be connected to a "print server". Once 3D printers take that same step it's web-based configuration, uploading of jobs, etc.

The Cube printer being wifi is a step in that direction, which is what I was blowing my wad about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

Your printer is only "within wired distance anyway" partially because it needs to be babysat but mostly because it has to be. It has to be because most 3D printers are where [paper] printers were 15-20 years ago: dumb devices that need to be connected to a print server to do anything.

The cool things that will come when 3D printers become wifi-connected are all the exact same awesome and freeing things that came when [paper] printers no longer needed to be connected to a "print server". Once 3D printers take that same step it's web-based configuration, uploading of jobs, etc.

The Cube printer being wifi is a step in that direction, which is what I was blowing my wad about.

I look forward to the onset of poorly secured network-enabled printers, because some days I just NEED to print out 20 dildoes right in somebody's home.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains
I am really into the idea of dual extruder heads. Has anybody here had any success with that on a Pursa Mendel? If you have what extruders did you use and what hot ends did you use? Would you consider it a worthwhile upgrade for the cost?

The reason it is attractive to me is that I print a lot of things where support is needed, printing the support in PLA instead of ABS would probably yield better results than ABS on ABS which never breaks completely cleanly.

UberVexer fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 6, 2012

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Got a video up of my MendelMax nicely tuned, printing Prusa parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGJska4xnyw

140mm/sec perimeters, 2m/s^2 accel, 0.5mm layer height, 3mm PLA

insta fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 9, 2012

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

How much modification would be needed to make one of these print chocolate? Hehe.

A confectionery 3D printer would be awesome.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 11, 2012

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

How much modification would be needed to make one of these print chocolate? Hehe.

A confectionery 3D printer would be awesome.

Some work has been done on it.

A few links to get you started:

A video!
On the reprap wiki about some of the things you might want to know about printing chocolate
a printable nozzle and pump for pastes
a syringe based extruder for many foods

At the core of it most of the machine works fine, but there's plenty of room for improving the quality of nonplastic extrusion. Simple things can turn out nice though, if a bit odd.

There's also some work being done for molten sugar printing.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26343
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VHFlwJQIkE
(okay yes, its being demonstrated in the biological context, but sugar is sugar)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Aurium posted:

Some work has been done on it.

A few links to get you started:

A video!
On the reprap wiki about some of the things you might want to know about printing chocolate
a printable nozzle and pump for pastes
a syringe based extruder for many foods

At the core of it most of the machine works fine, but there's plenty of room for improving the quality of nonplastic extrusion. Simple things can turn out nice though, if a bit odd.

There's also some work being done for molten sugar printing.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26343
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VHFlwJQIkE
(okay yes, its being demonstrated in the biological context, but sugar is sugar)

Those are awesome, thanks!

It's amazing how this technology has a nearly infinite application, it feels like such a massive technological horizon on a consumer level, especially combined with the internet and open-source philosophy... but most people still don't even know that it exists.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Just emphasizing my irritation with the guys at solidoodle.

I sent them an inquiry as I said in the first part of June and this was the response I got:

"Our orders ship in about 6-8 weeks. We manufacture on demand, and we are working hard to get the orders out the door. Since your ordered in April, it shouldn't ship until late June."

This was followed up by them me asking about the delay and them replying with the a shortage of parts they had ordered from a manufacturer, while the couldn't say if my order had been delayed because of that they assured me my printer was otherwise being assembled.

So as bit of an update they posted in their blog (which I now check regularly) on July 10th to say that the FIRST Solidoodle has shipped. Dont think I'm going to get that late June ship date. I'm going to email them again today saying basically all of the above and see what they tell me this time.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Thats a bit disheartening. Sound like they really expect people to F5 their blog for real updates.

Still thinking of getting one once they have a decent process going but I am holding off for now. The price is just so tempting

Blackchamber posted:

Just emphasizing my irritation with the guys at solidoodle.

I sent them an inquiry as I said in the first part of June and this was the response I got:

"Our orders ship in about 6-8 weeks. We manufacture on demand, and we are working hard to get the orders out the door. Since your ordered in April, it shouldn't ship until late June."

This was followed up by them me asking about the delay and them replying with the a shortage of parts they had ordered from a manufacturer, while the couldn't say if my order had been delayed because of that they assured me my printer was otherwise being assembled.

So as bit of an update they posted in their blog (which I now check regularly) on July 10th to say that the FIRST Solidoodle has shipped. Dont think I'm going to get that late June ship date. I'm going to email them again today saying basically all of the above and see what they tell me this time.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ok so like I said, I emailed Solidoodle asking why when I asked them why they thought I'd get a shipping notification at the of June when they knew that as of mid June they hadnt even completed or shipped even the FIRST order yet, much less an order numbered above 250. As if somehow even with the initial parts delay they would still be able to crank out, test, and ship a couple hundred of them in just two weeks.

They emailed me back and said they were sorry if it 'appeared deceptive' to tell me June when they really meant they had no clue.

veril
Aug 28, 2004
Solidoodle order 143 here, and the lack of communication has been surprising. Tossed $630 their way 11 weeks ago to the day, and not a single email saying they wouldn't meet their originally scheduled 6-8 week ship time -- or really, any email communication since the receipt.

Seriously considering cancelling my order now and ordering a Cube 3D printer instead -- especially since there are suggestions that the serial number that Solidoodle did ship out was just a prototype, and they aren't actually shipping customer orders yet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

veril posted:

Solidoodle order 143 here, and the lack of communication has been surprising. Tossed $630 their way 11 weeks ago to the day, and not a single email saying they wouldn't meet their originally scheduled 6-8 week ship time -- or really, any email communication since the receipt.

Seriously considering cancelling my order now and ordering a Cube 3D printer instead -- especially since there are suggestions that the serial number that Solidoodle did ship out was just a prototype, and they aren't actually shipping customer orders yet.

I thought a company wasn't supposed to charge a card for something until it shipped.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought a company wasn't supposed to charge a card for something until it shipped.

Nothing says you can't. A lot of places don't as a matter of custom and courtesy, but you can prepay with a credit card as easily as you can prepay with anything else.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

Nothing says you can't. A lot of places don't as a matter of custom and courtesy, but you can prepay with a credit card as easily as you can prepay with anything else.

Internet claims its a Visa/Mastercard policy, though that probably is about as effective as the rules that were against no minimums purchase amount for a card.

Interestingly federal law says that a merchant must inform you by mail, phone or email if they cannot meet a shipping date. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre28.shtm

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Internet claims its a Visa/Mastercard policy, though that probably is about as effective as the rules that were against no minimums purchase amount for a card.

Pretty much, they don't monitor. And they don't do anything unless someone complains.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

The reason for the policy is that you can't dispute the charge 30 days after it has been processed and get it automatically rolled back.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
What photopolymer dlp printers are out right now? I recently saw a bank of them in a manufacturing context that was very, very unexpected and it looked slightly like the veloso's. I want to purchase one, I remember veloso was on indiegogo but these, while looking like something built by an engineer from a kit, didn't look like the velosos that I've seen photos of online.

I know there are more out there than veloso being used. Anyways the resolution was loving stunning and I basically need one.

Followup question, related.. small 3D scanners? Does anyone know about them? What kinds of small 3D scanners are there, are they all laser based or are there different types?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Not an Anthem posted:

Followup question, related.. small 3D scanners? Does anyone know about them? What kinds of small 3D scanners are there, are they all laser based or are there different types?

What are you trying to do? Most of the systems on the market right now are laser based, other than the Kinect I believe the cheapest on the market is NextEngine. Its rather slow like all laser based scanners.

Other than laser line scanners 3d scanning can be done using structured light or stereo vision. I'm not aware of any inexpensive versions of either of these types on the market right now. If you want to experiment makerbot had someone working on it a while ago, take a look at this instructables. I also work for a company that is developing a 3d structured light scanner for consumer applications though thats a little ways off.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
For prototyping/product design and other use, don't want a hobby/kit and my employer would be purchasing it. I've seen a few in fab labs and I don't know much about them so I'm trying to learn.

The machines I've seen are the size of a projector themselves, but they're scanning mostly small handheld objects. Would those be laser?

I'd like to mess around with structured light scanners as we have some nice cameras and projectors here.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Not an Anthem posted:

What photopolymer dlp printers are out right now? I recently saw a bank of them in a manufacturing context that was very, very unexpected and it looked slightly like the veloso's. I want to purchase one, I remember veloso was on indiegogo but these, while looking like something built by an engineer from a kit, didn't look like the velosos that I've seen photos of online.

I know there are more out there than veloso being used. Anyways the resolution was loving stunning and I basically need one.

Are you talking about the B9 creator?
http://www.b9creator.com
Go to the kickstarter for more info, this is pretty much veloso's except you can switch between 100 and 50 micron resolution and the resin used in the B9 is CHEAP. If you see the little Eiffel tower he made it apparently cost 10 cents in resin.

He's filling out kickstarter orders now, or early august and then will have a webstore up to accept orders for more kits. Can't wait! Also if your production prototyping ever needs metal pieces, they did full burnout tests and the resin can be cast pretty much just like wax.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Not an Anthem posted:

For prototyping/product design and other use, don't want a hobby/kit and my employer would be purchasing it. I've seen a few in fab labs and I don't know much about them so I'm trying to learn.

The machines I've seen are the size of a projector themselves, but they're scanning mostly small handheld objects. Would those be laser?

I'd like to mess around with structured light scanners as we have some nice cameras and projectors here.

They're probably laser. Creaform, artec and konica minolta all make laser based 3d scanners in the 5 figure range for industrial applications. For redesign you'll probably need a package like Rapidform (Nextengine has a slightly cheaper licensed version for use only with their scanner) to merge scans together, clean them up and create a model that can be used reasonably with a 3d printer (or a NURBS model for solidworks).

4ddyanamics has systems that consist of a DLP projector, machine vision camera and a dSLR bolted together on a tripod. And for shameless self promotion, my company does DLP based pattern projection and is faster than anything previously mentioned.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Are you talking about the B9 creator?
http://www.b9creator.com
Go to the kickstarter for more info, this is pretty much veloso's except you can switch between 100 and 50 micron resolution and the resin used in the B9 is CHEAP. If you see the little Eiffel tower he made it apparently cost 10 cents in resin.

He's filling out kickstarter orders now, or early august and then will have a webstore up to accept orders for more kits. Can't wait! Also if your production prototyping ever needs metal pieces, they did full burnout tests and the resin can be cast pretty much just like wax.

There's actually another one that's supposed to start shipping soon:

http://www.indiegogo.com/miicraft?c=home

http://www.miicraft.com/

It has the ability to automatically pump the resin in the tank back into the bottle after printing, which sounds like a useful feature.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
Didn't see this posted, but it looks pretty interesting:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/133514-the-worlds-first-3d-printed-gun

It's only the receiver at this point, but what are the chances that as 3d printing improves you will eventually be able to print the whole gun?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Lowers have already been done in plastic, even commercially (magpul?), although they break over time.

You can't print "the whole gun." You can through various means additively print metal parts but trusting that with pressures of modern ammunition is a whole different ball game.

BTW 3D printed gun parts is one of the big 3 "this may bring down 3D printing" things besides copying patented work.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

There's actually another one that's supposed to start shipping soon:

http://www.indiegogo.com/miicraft?c=home

http://www.miicraft.com/

It has the ability to automatically pump the resin in the tank back into the bottle after printing, which sounds like a useful feature.
Dear god their resin is expensive

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Not an Anthem posted:

BTW 3D printed gun parts is one of the big 3 "this may bring down 3D printing" things besides copying patented work.

What's the third?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I've started getting decent at using Autodesk 123D for making models and STL files. Has anyone here used i.materialize? You can upload a model and get a price quote fairly quick.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Not an Anthem posted:

Lowers have already been done in plastic, even commercially (magpul?), although they break over time.

Cavalry Arms makes polymer AR lowers, they are beefed up (as in thicker) at one particular stress point and they don't break over time.

The lower receiver, as mentioned, is not a shooty/'splody part. Lowers have even been made from wood just to show it can be done. (Edit: In all cases we're talking about "stripped" lowers - it's just the "frame". The hammer, pins, spring, etc -- in other words, all the worky parts -- are all then installed into it.)

It's still pretty cool; it's by no means printing a firearm, though. :ssh: don't tell the news people!

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 29, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cakefool posted:

What's the third?

Self replicating 3d printers.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Dear god their resin is expensive

Yea I noticed this too, especially compared to the B9.

Someone could always try and print an airsoft gun....i know they have springs and an electric motor but I bet you could do the rest pretty well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Someone could always try and print an airsoft gun....i know they have springs and an electric motor but I bet you could do the rest pretty well.

You need an airtight seal around the bb, so that would likely need hand fitting but sure, besides the parts you mention (which are the critical parts) it's merely a piece of plastic.

If we had some eggs, we'd have ham and eggs, if we had some ham too.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
*sigh*

Still waiting for my M2 :saddowns:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

You could probably print one of the quality you'd find in a hardware store or walmart no problem, but with a high-performance airsoft gun you'd run into a few problems. Without a soft rubber hopup bucking you wouldn't get a good airseal or backspin on your BBs. A metal barrel is pretty important for accuracy and velocity. Durability would be an issue too, even metal gearbox housings can be prone to cracking in high FPS setups.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

TerminalSaint posted:

You could probably print one of the quality you'd find in a hardware store or walmart no problem, but with a high-performance airsoft gun you'd run into a few problems. Without a soft rubber hopup bucking you wouldn't get a good airseal or backspin on your BBs. A metal barrel is pretty important for accuracy and velocity. Durability would be an issue too, even metal gearbox housings can be prone to cracking in high FPS setups.

Ah yea, I guess there is a lot more to think about than just printing the plastic parts. SILLY ME.
Until then, we can print little catapults and desktop trebuchets because we don't need no stinkin' technology to fire miniature projectiles!

I really want the B9 store to open up :( I'm all ready to purchase one! Take my money dammnit!

fartingfool
Aug 30, 2008
I'm finally in the market for purchasing a 3D Printer, but I've been following them since the first one was pieced together years ago. The main printer I've been considering is an Ultimaker and I spoke to a (machinist) friend of mine about my interest in buying one. They're big purchases, as I'm sure any of you can relate, and it'd be nice to sort-of try before you buy.

Anyways, he suggested I make a post towards the community to see if anyone would be willing to show me one, explain what they like and don't like, see the quality in person, hear how loud they are. I'm here to do that and try my luck. I'm up for seeing any of them in action, though. He was really avid about the helpfulness of the people who own them and after reading thousands of posts about the printers I couldn't agree more.

There don't seem to be any active hackerspaces locally (around Tampa, FL at least, one kinda-sorta in Orlando). I have investigated the ones on campus (I'm a Senior Mechanical Engineering student at the University of South Florida), but a lot of them seem to be old, abused, and out of commission. I can drive a bit of a ways and I'd be totally up for compensating in lunch, beer, or both.

fartingfool fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 1, 2012

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Saw a pretty cool video today on how one type of metal 3D printer works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Px6RSL9Ac

I don't think I've ever seen the bronze-infusing method from the video described before. I don't think that the small metal stuff you'd print at an on-demand service like Ponoko or Shapeways is quite so hollow.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

techknight posted:

Saw a pretty cool video today on how one type of metal 3D printer works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Px6RSL9Ac

I don't think I've ever seen the bronze-infusing method from the video described before. I don't think that the small metal stuff you'd print at an on-demand service like Ponoko or Shapeways is quite so hollow.

That's exactly the process used at Shapeways. Not sure what you mean by hollow, after the bronze infusion, the object is solid metal but it's a mixture of stainless and bronze. When Shapeways first offered the stainless material there were issues with consistency in the color. Some objects would come out very silver looking while others would look almost pure bronze and everything in between. I have a print I got done in the stainless material and it definitely has a bronze tone to it.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

kafkasgoldfish posted:

That's exactly the process used at Shapeways. Not sure what you mean by hollow, after the bronze infusion, the object is solid metal but it's a mixture of stainless and bronze. When Shapeways first offered the stainless material there were issues with consistency in the color. Some objects would come out very silver looking while others would look almost pure bronze and everything in between. I have a print I got done in the stainless material and it definitely has a bronze tone to it.

I was under the impression that the full volume of the object was printed, not just the exterior, and baked afterwards in one step. (Instead of printing the shell and being infused.)

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

techknight posted:

I was under the impression that the full volume of the object was printed, not just the exterior, and baked afterwards in one step. (Instead of printing the shell and being infused.)

Both Shapeways and that video print the full volume of the object. I didn't recall the video saying that the model was hollow but it did say something about the printed object being 40% air after the first step, is that throwing you off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Both Shapeways and that video print the full volume of the object. I didn't recall the video saying that the model was hollow but it did say something about the printed object being 40% air after the first step, is that throwing you off?

Looks like I got confused when the video was saying that the model was "very porous" and fragile. My bad!