Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Kristneder posted:

So it was Crashplan that caused all these problems. The mac also crashed if I switched from the 330M to the integrated graphics card (Open Chrome then quit Chrome caused the screen to go black with some artifacts in the upper left corner). So for now, I'll have to do without Crashplan :-/

Anyone else having problems with Crashplan after installing ML?
It's been doing fine for me. Reinstall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DropShadow posted:

This Hidden Files widget and iStat Pro are the only two widgets I keep around. iStat Pro really only for remembering how long it has been since I've restarted my machine.

TheState posted:

Ha. except you can't download it because it was hosted on MobileMe.

Sorry about that, didn't even check. That's why I keep a folder in my Dropbox account of useful stuff I always install on new machines. Here's the widget in case anyone wants it: http://ge.tt/9RI1zAL

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Upon closer inspection it seems that they are importing (they appear in my recently added playlist) but aren't showing up in my library when I click on Movies. Don't know why that would happen.

Oh, I've had that happen with songs. No idea what caused it other than library database file fuckery. It went away when I trashed the library and rebuilt it in a fit of pique. Sorry I can't be of more help.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'm trying to figure out wtf I need to give Apple for them to give me my stupid code for my rMBP I ordered online. First time I took a picture of the label on the box (horizontally flipped given I took it with the webcam) and they responded with: "Receipt was not provided"

So I got the e-mail invoice of my order, printed to a PDF, and converted that to a PNG. Now I get an e-mail (within several hours) "Receipt does not indicate product was paid for and received."

Just a word of warning for anyone else going back and forth with Apple. I normally don't need to get in touch with support, but this is just a headscratcher here.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

I have an early 2008 iMac which holds my iTunes library that I watch on my Apple TV (2nd gen) via Home Sharing. Back when I was on Snow Leopard, as long as I had "Wake on network access" enabled, my library would still show up on my Apple TV even when the iMac was asleep, but would then wake up when I tried to access it. Perfect.

After I upgraded to Lion, the iMac just stopped going to sleep if I had a network connection, but for whatever reason I just never bothered trying to fix it.

Now, after installing Mountain Lion, the problem has reversed itself. It's going to sleep after x minutes of inactivity again like it did on Snow Leopard, but my library doesn't show up on my Apple TV while the iMac is asleep anymore. Has anyone else noticed anything like this, or even better, does anybody have any idea how to make it behave like it did on Snow Leopard again?
I was having the same problem. I went into energy prefs and turned off Wake for Wi-fi LAN or whatever the setting was, then restarted the computer, then turned the setting back on.

It's working better but still not ideal. Sometimes the wake up packet doesn't wake it up quickly enough, so my attempt to connect will timeout but then I can try again and it will work. Not ideal but functional.

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 28, 2012

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Installed ML, tried out Safari 6. I feel like it is noticeably faster than Chrome now, are there benchmarks that back this up? Between that and the fact that they added the one search/url bar I think I'll switch to Safari for now.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Does anyone know how to turn Mountain Lion's "every 4th scroll gesture goes 700mph" feature off? It's driving me insane while browsing picture threads and it generally isn't very useful.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Kristneder posted:

Anyone else having problems with Crashplan after installing ML?
The only problem I had with Crashplan was that it hadn't backed up for a while an then I got an email that said that those that upgraded to ML needed to upgrade Java RTE. after doing that it started working fine again.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

modig posted:

Installed ML, tried out Safari 6. I feel like it is noticeably faster than Chrome now, are there benchmarks that back this up? Between that and the fact that they added the one search/url bar I think I'll switch to Safari for now.

The last Sunspider has Safari 6 on top, for now.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

DropShadow posted:

Sorry about that, didn't even check. That's why I keep a folder in my Dropbox account of useful stuff I always install on new machines. Here's the widget in case anyone wants it: http://ge.tt/9RI1zAL

Thanks! That's pretty useful. I had built it in as a service previously, but this is nice.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tuna posted:

Does anyone know how to turn Mountain Lion's "every 4th scroll gesture goes 700mph" feature off? It's driving me insane while browsing picture threads and it generally isn't very useful.

Not having a trackpad I don't know this for sure, but turning off smooth scroll might do it?

defaults write -g NSScrollAnimationEnabled -bool NO

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Not having a trackpad I don't know this for sure, but turning off smooth scroll might do it?

defaults write -g NSScrollAnimationEnabled -bool NO

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried this but it doesn't do it.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger

tuna posted:

And I thought it was just me or a faulty trackpad. This happens to me all the time in Safari. I hate it.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

modig posted:

Installed ML, tried out Safari 6. I feel like it is noticeably faster than Chrome now, are there benchmarks that back this up?

Yeah, it lasted about 2 days :)

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm trying to figure out wtf I need to give Apple for them to give me my stupid code for my rMBP I ordered online. First time I took a picture of the label on the box (horizontally flipped given I took it with the webcam) and they responded with: "Receipt was not provided"

So I got the e-mail invoice of my order, printed to a PDF, and converted that to a PNG. Now I get an e-mail (within several hours) "Receipt does not indicate product was paid for and received."

Just a word of warning for anyone else going back and forth with Apple. I normally don't need to get in touch with support, but this is just a headscratcher here.

What country are you in? I'm in USA and all I had to do for my rMBP was give the purchase date (June 11) and the serial number.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ptier posted:

What country are you in? I'm in USA and all I had to do for my rMBP was give the purchase date (June 11) and the serial number.

I'm in USA and also have to give a "proof of purchase" to redeem a free ML update for an rMBP. Since this is impossible I couldn't do it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What are we all doing for a Perian replacement on 10.8?

Like I really don't want to have to use some other third party VLC or mplayer when I have Quicktime :(

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Yeast posted:

The last Sunspider has Safari 6 on top, for now.

I'm realizing now that chrome gets instant search results up faster... so when I type "for" and hit enter I end up on the forums, and with Safari I end up on some stupid search page. Maybe I'll go back to chrome.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is there an iBooks program for the Macbook? Can you even read books purchased off iTunes on the macbook?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nope. Apple is really terrible at the eBooks thing.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Not really. They just want you to read on an iDevice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone know what the best practice is for importing a user password keychain from 10.7 to 10.8?

e: Aside from migration assistant I mean.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 29, 2012

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Martytoof posted:

What are we all doing for a Perian replacement on 10.8?

Like I really don't want to have to use some other third party VLC or mplayer when I have Quicktime :(

I have been using MplayerX from the app store for a long while now. I don't if someone else will take up the mantle for a codec pack of sorts but the aforementioned app works well enough.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mu Zeta posted:

Welp, I just wasted ten bucks.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I don't know if DRM-chat is kosher under the circumstances, but it's just an EPUB under the FairPlay. Some of the books aren't even protected.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I did a fresh install of ML yesterday and I am really liking what I see so far. It feels like the battery life is better then Lion as well. I've really started using the gestures as well and it's kinda amazing how natural they feel. $19.99 well spent.

Is anyone having issues with the twitter integration into the notification center though? It doesn't seem to be working quite right.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I solved my own Perian dilemma by installing...... Perian :tipshat:

Works well for now. We'll see how long I can keep using it as a crutch.

Annexed posted:

Is anyone having issues with the twitter integration into the notification center though? It doesn't seem to be working quite right.

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to be showing me, but whatever it is, it isn't. I'm generally not very impressed with notification centre just yet. I'll have to wait until more apps start to use it. If there was a Growl -> NC bridge, that would be pretty awesome.

e: http://collect3.com.au/hiss/

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 29, 2012

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Martytoof posted:

Well I solved my own Perian dilemma by installing...... Perian :tipshat:

Works well for now. We'll see how long I can keep using it as a crutch.

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to be showing me, but whatever it is, it isn't. I'm generally not very impressed with notification centre just yet. I'll have to wait until more apps start to use it. If there was a Growl -> NC bridge, that would be pretty awesome.

There is an app that does exactly that, with some caveats to it.

http://collect3.com.au/hiss/

The one catch that I've noticed so far is that all growl notifications will go under Hiss in the Notification Center. So like Colloquy and gfxCardStatus won't be separated from each other as different apps in the NC if they're both using growl.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

modig posted:

Installed ML, tried out Safari 6. I feel like it is noticeably faster than Chrome now

It's the "Swoosh" thing that it does in the URL bar. Makes it twice as fast.

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

akadajet posted:

It's the "Swoosh" thing that it does in the URL bar. Makes it twice as fast.

The scrolling is vastly superior to Chrome (dev channel or canary, with or without hardware acceleration enabled). I'll be sticking with Safari 6 until Chrome gets up to speed and integrates the cool progress bar feature for downloads.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish I could use Logitech Control Centre to manage my mouse, but let Apple manage the scroll speed. I really liked 10.8's iOS-style "drag-drag-KAPOW-ZOOM" scroll acceleration, but LCC overrides it with a more classic scroll scheme :(

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

Sonic Dude posted:

It's been doing fine for me. Reinstall?

I've tried to reinstall Crashplan 3 times, same result (crash of mac if i open chrome and close it &/ java 150% CPU) - or did you mean reinstall ML?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Huh, so I got my Up-To-Date code in the mail for a macbook air I bought a month ago, but the app store won't accept it - "not recognized as a valid code." Anyone else have this? Sorry if I've overlooked someone in the thread.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
What's the process name for Google Chrome?

I cannot Stop the process using "Google Chrome"

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

kapalama posted:

What's the process name for Google Chrome?

I cannot Stop the process using "Google Chrome"

Usually just "Google Chrome"

Though I can see "Google Chrome Renderer", "Google Chrome Worker" and "Google Chrome Helper" in my Activity Monitor too.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jt posted:

The scrolling is vastly superior to Chrome (dev channel or canary, with or without hardware acceleration enabled). I'll be sticking with Safari 6 until Chrome gets up to speed and integrates the cool progress bar feature for downloads.

Must be a trackpad thing. No difference with my standard scroll wheel mouse.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
'pkill Chrome ' works for me

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
So between iCloud and bookmarks syncing between all my Macs and iDevices, I've finally made the switch to Safari.

Except now I need to install Flash.. (?) I think?

Is there any way around this and/or an optimal way to install flash? I want Hulu back!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

dexter6 posted:

So between iCloud and bookmarks syncing between all my Macs and iDevices, I've finally made the switch to Safari.

Except now I need to install Flash.. (?) I think?

Is there any way around this and/or an optimal way to install flash? I want Hulu back!

http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

quote:

ClickToPlugin is a lightweight and highly customizable extension that prevents Safari from launching plug-ins automatically, resulting in faster browsing, reduced fan usage, and increased battery life. It replaces every plug-in object by an unobtrusive placeholder that can be clicked to load the embedded content. Further, it can replace many plug-in-based media players by Safari’s native HTML5 media player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Has Mountain Lion made any Bluetooth changes?

I use my MBP in clamshell mode, connected to a monitor with an Apple keyboard and trackpad connected via Bluetooth. With Lion I could just click the touchpad or tap the space bar to wake the laptop but since upgrading to ML I can't do that any more.

The "allow wake from sleep" option is still enabled in the prefpane and when I open the lid to wake the computer, I notice bluetooth is enabled but it has lost its connection to both the trackpad and keyboard. It regains them shortly after I wake it by opening the lid.

This is getting really annoying and if it's an intentional change by Apple then I'm going to have to downgrade to Lion.