Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

User0015 posted:

Quick technical question if anyone is familiar with this: I started up a server and connected to it with a friend. After about 30 minutes, he started experiencing 10-second lag and had to disconnect. After reconnecting, he was usually fine for another 30 minutes. I had no lag at any point.

Is this a common issue? RAM related?

I'd see if a third person connecting to the server has the same issue. If they do, it's a server problem; if they don't, it's a problem on your friend's end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Ed Mungo posted:

I like using Unmined to find stuff: http://unmined.intro.hu/

Well this is the most amazing little thing I've seen for minecraft so far. YES! It also confirms that this world I spawned is INSANE with cave systems. It's just an absolute tangled mess of cave systems.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Absolutely every world is infested with caves. They seem to be so much more common post 1.0. I remember caves being so much more difficult to find back in 1.6 (or maybe I just got better at the game). Mines and ravines just expose so much surface area that it's easier to find materials.

I love caves, they're risky when you first start out, but as long as you have some wood, basic tools and food, you can very quickly bootstrap yourself to full iron. The risk:reward equation is that you just don't have very much to lose. I always try to mine for 33 iron bars (a full set of iron armour and tools) before I start really exploring the world. I even like to bring along a quarter stack of iron on all my mining and exploration trips, just to replace the tools that I will inevitably damage. Basically, once I've teched to iron, that's all I will ever use.

Also, what's the ETA for 1.3? I think I'll jump back in the game when it comes out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

Also, what's the ETA for 1.3? I think I'll jump back in the game when it comes out.

Two days is still the projected drop, I believe.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

It's coming out next Wednesday. You can download the prerelease now if you want, though. The prerelease is going to be equal to the official release; it only came out early to give modders time to update their stuff.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

President Ark posted:

I'd see if a third person connecting to the server has the same issue. If they do, it's a server problem; if they don't, it's a problem on your friend's end.

I'm running both a server and client off my own computer. I heard there can be issues doing that when you're administrator, and I never tweaked anything to use more ram. I thought these might be the culprit, though I couldn't think of why.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wait, 4 block-high falls no longer cause damage? Woah, that's a huge gameplay change.

Black Geezus
Jul 13, 2012

User0015 posted:

I'm running both a server and client off my own computer. I heard there can be issues doing that when you're administrator, and I never tweaked anything to use more ram. I thought these might be the culprit, though I couldn't think of why.

Yes sometimes that can cause problems. Is he connecting through a local network or over the internet?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Wait, 4 block-high falls no longer cause damage? Woah, that's a huge gameplay change.

Uhhh, this doesn't change the overall damage drop off does it? My mob farm!

Phobophilia posted:

Absolutely every world is infested with caves. They seem to be so much more common post 1.0. I remember caves being so much more difficult to find back in 1.6 (or maybe I just got better at the game). Mines and ravines just expose so much surface area that it's easier to find materials.

I opened the only other 1.2 map I had and noticed that pretty quickly. Kind of disappointing how common they are now.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Black Geezus posted:

Yes sometimes that can cause problems. Is he connecting through a local network or over the internet?

Over the interwebs. Is there an easy fix for it?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Have him check Minecraft's RAM use when it's acting up like that. I've had that exact problem for a couple days at a time on two different occasions, and it was apparently just because of memory leaks. It fixed itself eventually for inscrutable reasons. So if I had to guess, it's just some retarded poo poo on his end that happened because :notch:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I have a lot of actual work to do, and instead I just spent about 3 hours building a massive three block deep wall around my house/farm and flattening out my landscape.

Whoops...

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
What is that thing coming out of your roof

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Hobo By Design posted:

It's kinda cheaty, but this works for finding mineshafts:

You can replace glowstone with TNT, but I've found people are less inclined to jump into simple machine combining TNT and redstone.

edit: vvv It exploits a bug, if you get "suffocated" by tnt or glowstone, you see through the world (and don't suffocate.)
...this is like some kind of bizarre video game version of auto-erotic asphyxiation right here. Suffocating yourself so you can glitch the system and see through the world :stare:

quote:

I opened the only other 1.2 map I had and noticed that pretty quickly. Kind of disappointing how common they are now.
I remember going for a long, long, long time before finding Iron back when Minecraft was first being developed. I miss that a bit (But on the other hand, at least gold has a use now with powered rails compared to back then when it had no function at all)

Jblade fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 29, 2012

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Jelly posted:

What is that thing coming out of your roof

A big watch tower. The screenshot was taken from one of the balconies coming off the side of it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
You know how your house stops being a house and starts being a watchtower when it's comprised by about 80% of the latter?

Yeah.

Still like the layout.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I asked this in the other thread, but that thread moves a lot slower. Does anyone have a link for Sphax 128x 1.3 that isn't adfly? I tried to deadfly it but it gave me a file not found when I did.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jblade posted:

...this is like some kind of bizarre video game version of auto-erotic asphyxiation right here. Suffocating yourself so you can glitch the system and see through the world :stare:

Oh, is there a new Persona coming out?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Leyburn posted:

I have a lot of actual work to do, and instead I just spent about 3 hours building a massive three block deep wall around my house/farm and flattening out my landscape.

Whoops...

Thats pretty cool man. I like the way it looks. But yeah, what Duzzy said ;)

ToastyPotato posted:

I asked this in the other thread, but that thread moves a lot slower. Does anyone have a link for Sphax 128x 1.3 that isn't adfly? I tried to deadfly it but it gave me a file not found when I did.

I can send you a copy of the .zip if you like. I dont have PMs so you'll have to post your email here.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 29, 2012

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

vulturesrow posted:

I can send you a copy of the .zip if you like. I dont have PMs so you'll have to post your email here.

If you're emailing out copies of sphax, I'll take one too.

E: Got it, thanks!

corgski fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 30, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Works for me. Hit me up: My SA username at gmail.

Question: Should I hold off on enchanting stuff until I patch? Also, I've stayed within a fairly small area on this map, so I shouldn't need to start over when the patch drops correct? I'm not particularly married to the area, or the base that I've built, so I don't mind wandering off to find better, newer lands (no NPC village in sight anyway) but I'd also rather not start from scratch.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 30, 2012

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm sending it in about 5 minutes to both of you.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So anyone heard of something called Blockscape? It looks pretty fantastic for a MC clone and being in Alpha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdI0ny4l7q4

http://blockscape.com/

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It's a neat tech demo, but the dev's plans for it don't give me much faith in a good game.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

ToastyPotato posted:

Works for me. Hit me up: My SA username at gmail.

Question: Should I hold off on enchanting stuff until I patch? Also, I've stayed within a fairly small area on this map, so I shouldn't need to start over when the patch drops correct? I'm not particularly married to the area, or the base that I've built, so I don't mind wandering off to find better, newer lands (no NPC village in sight anyway) but I'd also rather not start from scratch.

If you have already built your enchantment table and bookshelves and have enough levels for what you want, go for it. The only change in the enchants themselves in 1.3 is that it is now slightly more common to get multiple enchants on a single item. If you haven't buit bookshelves yet, or want to level up faster, wait for 1.3. (or get the prerelease)

Gondus
Mar 31, 2011

Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.
Sad that Technic got rid of the town's mod. The new book mod is fun as hell though. Btw, anyone have a good tekkit server thats fun to play on? Currently playin on my vps one with my brother but it's getting kind of boring with just the both of us.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

tinaun posted:

If you have already built your enchantment table and bookshelves and have enough levels for what you want, go for it. The only change in the enchants themselves in 1.3 is that it is now slightly more common to get multiple enchants on a single item. If you haven't buit bookshelves yet, or want to level up faster, wait for 1.3. (or get the prerelease)

I have the table, but only 7 shelves. I was thinking of tearing them down and moving them to a nicer room though.

vulturesrow posted:

I'm sending it in about 5 minutes to both of you.

Thank you!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

tinaun posted:

That goes against what I read unless I read the patch notes wrong. Max level enchantment drops from 50 to 30, so waiting is beneficial as the number of levels you use for a given enchantment drops by almost half, and actual experience needed drops by more than half.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Fnoigy posted:

Sometimes, I feel like I'm not really playing Minecraft as somebody who has little engineering ability.

My co-worker has been playing straight un-modded minecraft since early Beta, and got sick of the tedium of having to manually flip switches and push buttons while going around his mine in a minecart.

So he's designed a communication system that transmits and stores his destination input (in the form of a binary station number), then transmits to the next comm station that is built just inside the edge of his render radius. So he sets his destination, hops in his cart, and, as the minecart travels the route, his comm stations are propagating his input as their chunks load and automatically switching the track. So he can travel the full length of his network and arrive at his destination without stopping. Only this week did he upgrade his design to "actually uses redstone repeaters somewhere in the circuit".

Me? I just have a poo poo load of there-and-back single minecart tracks. If I want to go somewhere and the cart I need is at the far station, I walk. Maybe someday I'll make something more extensive.

ancara22 posted:

I don't usually ever post stuff from the Minecraftforum main site, but the cannon in this thing is a thing of beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDcYnAzwV0E

Ye gods.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finally got Minecraft working on my laptop again and started a new world. Decided to make my first cobblestone shack next to the hole in the ground I was mining out of marginally cuter than the standard cobble box (it's round!):

I'm not for sure there hasn't been some weirdness in the world gen with this one, I keep running across very abrupt cliffs and squared off corners. Is there anything in particular that would cause that, and should I be concerned that it might go corrupt in the future? I'm not very attached to this world yet so I could ditch it and try again if it's possibly going to be unstable.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Ed Mungo posted:

I'm not for sure there hasn't been some weirdness in the world gen with this one, I keep running across very abrupt cliffs and squared off corners. Is there anything in particular that would cause that, and should I be concerned that it might go corrupt in the future? I'm not very attached to this world yet so I could ditch it and try again if it's possibly going to be unstable.

The only two things I know of that would cause that are a map played across multiple versions and save corruption. If you load an old map in a new version and go to the edge of the generated land, it will be generated according to the new version's terrain generation algorithm, which probably won't match very well and make a lot of steep cliffs. If it's save corruption, the damage is already done and probably won't happen any more as long as you always take the time to close down minecraft properly instead of killing the process or something.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Is diamond rarer in 1.3, or am I just having lovely luck mining?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spoggerific posted:

The only two things I know of that would cause that are a map played across multiple versions and save corruption. If you load an old map in a new version and go to the edge of the generated land, it will be generated according to the new version's terrain generation algorithm, which probably won't match very well and make a lot of steep cliffs. If it's save corruption, the damage is already done and probably won't happen any more as long as you always take the time to close down minecraft properly instead of killing the process or something.

OK that makes sense, because the game crashed once and got hung up on a black screen instead of letting me quit. I had some trouble getting all my mods to play nice so there was a LOT of crashing right at the start but its all fixed now. I was originally just using this as a test map to make sure everything was working and just stayed with it instead of starting over, so the damage was probably done then.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

Is diamond rarer in 1.3, or am I just having lovely luck mining?

I'm in 1.2 and having poo poo luck finding diamond. I was actually about to come here and ask about the rareness of diamonds in 1.2. It's kind of annoying that with the dramatic increase in caves and underground tunnels, diamonds have become so much more difficult to find. I feel like in the beta days I was finding diamonds a bit more regularly, though still requiring plenty of mining and spelunking.

Is strip mining for diamond worth the time, effort, and material cost or would it be better to just explore cave systems and look for exposed diamond?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

Is strip mining for diamond worth the time, effort, and material cost or would it be better to just explore cave systems and look for exposed diamond?
I've always found diamonds by doing two things; exploring caves and excavating lava pits.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ed Mungo posted:

OK that makes sense, because the game crashed once and got hung up on a black screen instead of letting me quit. I had some trouble getting all my mods to play nice so there was a LOT of crashing right at the start but its all fixed now. I was originally just using this as a test map to make sure everything was working and just stayed with it instead of starting over, so the damage was probably done then.

If you have a 64 bit OS, try to get the 64 bit version of Java. it really helps with those issues

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

crazylakerfan posted:

If you have a 64 bit OS, try to get the 64 bit version of Java. it really helps with those issues

This is a huge understatement. Be absolutely positive you are running 64 bit Java on a 64 bit OS.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

BitBasher posted:

This is a huge understatement. Be absolutely positive you are running 64 bit Java on a 64 bit OS.
Seriously. When I first installed Minecraft, it was having massive memory hemorrhaging and was only playable for like 2 minutes. Updated to the 64-bit version and it's been fine since.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
People have been saying that ores are more rare in new versions ever since ores were first added to the game, but I don't think they've ever actually changed rarity without a mention in the patch notes. If it's not in the notes, I doubt diamonds are any more rare than they used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I don't really have an low depth 1.3 anecdotes, but all the ravines I've found are just full of coal and iron in plain sight.