Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Tirius posted:

I'd love some recommendations on thriller/horror movies where isolation is a key factor. The only horror/thrillers that really get to me are the ones where people are totally isolated from society. For example, Pandorum didn't get to me at all until that scene when they open the windows on the ship and look out on a starless void. Even though it later turned out there was a twist involved with that scene, it still is the strongest image I have of that movie.

Edit: I should probably clarify further, as isolation is actually a pretty common component of horror films. I'm looking for more than just alone in a haunted house in the woods type isolation. I mean films like Triangle, set on a boat in the middle of the ocean, or Event Horizon, a spaceship worlds away from anyone else. The kind of isolation where it's virtually impossible to make contact with civilization.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV
The Thing is a great example of what I'm looking for, and one of my favorite films. Thanks though!

I have a sneaking suspicion that you've already seen it but Sunshine fits the bill pretty well. And it's not really a thriller but you can't go wrong with Hell in the Pacific

EDIT: Make sure to watch the alternate ending of HitP on youtube afterwards. The original one is pretty abrupt.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What, if anything, is required viewing with John Waters? I mean, I really don't want to see Pink Flamingos, because of the poo poo-eating. Is any of his stuff actually worth watching because its good, and not just bizarre or gross?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

escape artist posted:

What, if anything, is required viewing with John Waters? I mean, I really don't want to see Pink Flamingos, because of the poo poo-eating. Is any of his stuff actually worth watching because its good, and not just bizarre or gross?

I like the original Hairspray, and I don't know if it's essential, but Pecker wasn't bad. Neither of them have anything as gross as your spoiler.

I'm on the Awful app, but the guy looking for isolated thrillers, Cube might fit, and there's always Hitchcock's Life Boat, which I haven't actually seen, but I understand takes place on a life boat.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Can anyone recommend me some Bourne identity'esk films.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

escape artist posted:

I'll second Pecker, also recommend Serial Mom.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Kolta posted:

Can anyone recommend me some Bourne identity'esk films.

The Hunted with Benicio Del Toro is a pretty good "Supersoldier goes off the reservation" type movie. Takes place largely in the wilderness but I would check it out. Only thing that is offsetting is Del Toro tried out his American accent in it and he ended up sounding like he got dubbed over.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Among John Waters stuff, Cry-Baby's a blast and I love the original Hairspray. I thought Pecker was really mediocre, but to each their own.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just remembered another John Waters movie I enjoyed, Cecil B. Demented.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Desperate Living is the most overlooked John Waters movie. it is definitely not classy or whatever you are looking for, but it's John Waters and I think it's a lot better thematically and subtextually than Pink Flamingoes

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

escape artist posted:

Serial Mom, Pecker, Cry-Baby, and Hairspray are all good to great. All of his earlier films that AREN'T Pink Flamingos are better than Pink Flamingos.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm in the mood for something with multiple realities/timelines of the same characters. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking like The Wizard of Oz, Dead Again, Celine and Julie Go Boating, Run Lola Run, Sliding Doors, and I've heard about The Fountain but I'm not that interested. Any other suggestions?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm in the mood for something with multiple realities/timelines of the same characters. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking like The Wizard of Oz, Dead Again, Celine and Julie Go Boating, Run Lola Run, Sliding Doors, and I've heard about The Fountain but I'm not that interested. Any other suggestions?

David Lynch does this in Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway and INLAND EMPIRE. These spoiler tags are clumsy as hell and probably pointless but oh well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

2046 is great, but works best if you've already seen In the Mood for Love.

Edit:took out the David Lynch films that are in spoilers above my post, probably unnecessary, but better safe than sorry.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 30, 2012

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

David Lynch does this in Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway and INLAND EMPIRE. These spoiler tags are clumsy as hell and probably pointless but oh well.

I swear to god I just came back here to edit those in. I can't believe I blanked on those :doh:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Power of Pecota posted:

Primer takes this to a ridiculous extent.

Edit: Also, Rashomon is an obvious suggestion.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 30, 2012

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Power of Pecota posted:

Hero would fit that bill, though I found it boring as hell myself. Nice use of colour for each alternate telling of the same tale though.

The Fountain would actually be a really nice film if it didn't have the floating tree in space bits, so if you can just overlook those then the rest of it is still of interest.

Oh, I know the film you are looking for. The Family Man with Nicholas Cage. It's basically a modern rehash of It's a Wonderful Life but I found it surprisingly endearing at the time I saw it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Power of Pecota posted:

Everything you mentioned and everything being suggested is pretty much all the important relevant films I can think of.

Basic is essentially Rashomon turned into a Hollywood action thriller. It's also not very good, though.

Certified Copy and The Double Life of Veronique both basically fit the bill but they might be more slower paced then you are looking for.

Timecrimes is a foreign movie that plays with time travel that is kinda overlooked I feel.

Frequency and The Lake House both deal with messaging people through time but they are also pretty saccharine.

Also of note but probably too obvious: Dark City, Donnie Darko, 12 Monkeys, Peggy Sue Got Married, The Butterfly Effect, Groundhog Day, Source Code, eXistenZ, Pleasantville, a little movie you might have heard of called Back To The Future.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Power of Pecota posted:

Not all great films, and some I'm sure you've already seen. Also, some of these aren't quite in the "multiple realities" category, but rather trying to figure out what the explanation behind their one reality is:

Coraline
Sucker Punch
Clue
Inception
Source Code
Brazil (make sure to watch one of the longer director/restored cuts)
Vanilla Sky (although I'm told the original spanish film Abre Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes) was far superior)
Identity
Paprika
Matrix (dur)
The Cell
Usual Suspects
Total Recall
Fight Club
Angel Heart
Return to Oz (like Wizard of Oz, it plays with the idea that Oz was imagined, but takes a darker tone by suggesting that it was mental illness rather than a dream)

In the realm of TV, there was the short-lived show Awake, where alternate realities was central to its story.

kuddles posted:

12 Monkeys,
Alternately, I think it's worth watching La Jetee. It's a 26 minute slideshow that served as the inspiration for 12 Monkeys. Fair warning though, it's very arthouse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGAMY0xZlVQ

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 30, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well, gently caress me. Chris Marker (the director of La Jetee) just died.

emminou
May 25, 2006

I just watched My Brother the Devil. Can anyone recommend films in a similar vein? I've already put La Haine on my list, but I'm not sure what else is out there.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really love nightclub scenes in movies. Can anyone recommend some more:

The Matrix trilogy
Go
Black Swan
Enter the Void
Irreversible
The Dark Knight
Blade

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Handsome Dead posted:

The Matrix trilogy
Go
Black Swan
Enter the Void
Irreversible
The Dark Knight
Blade

54 has a few. If you want an actual good movie, Boogie Nnights.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Handsome Dead posted:

The Matrix trilogy
Go
Black Swan
Enter the Void
Irreversible
The Dark Knight
Blade

Collateral
The Replacement Killers

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Handsome Dead posted:

Saturday Night Fever, obviously.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Handsome Dead posted:

The Matrix trilogy
Go
Black Swan
Enter the Void
Irreversible
The Dark Knight
Blade

Comedy option: Knocked Up

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Collateral and Saturday Night Fever are both so blatant, I can't believe I forgot to put them on my list. And thanks for the recommendations, I've got Boogie Nights on DVD somehwere so I'll have to check that out ASAP.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I never got around to watching it myself but 24 Hour Party People sounds right up your alley too.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The Social Network has a short one.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

FAQ About Time Travel is low budget, low tech, low life fun...this trailer actually gives away too much IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBV340x3GcA

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Handsome Dead posted:

The Matrix trilogy
Go
Black Swan
Enter the Void
Irreversible
The Dark Knight
Blade

Babel

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Handsome Dead posted:

Morvern Callar

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Can somebody recommence good movies that are set during or around the Russian revolution, preferably but not necessarily, from the revolutionaries' side?
I've seen Reds, Rasputin Dark Servant of Destiny, Dr Zhivago, and The Unforgettable Year 1919.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Mel Brooks' The Twelve Chairs

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

neoaxd posted:

Can somebody recommence good movies that are set during or around the Russian revolution, preferably but not necessarily, from the revolutionaries' side?
I've seen Reds, Rasputin Dark Servant of Destiny, Dr Zhivago, and The Unforgettable Year 1919.

Mother
Arsenal
The Last Command
The End of St. Petersburg
Storm Over Asia
October
A Slave of Love

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

What are some good cop movies? Buddy or no buddy.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I would love it if someone could recommend some more obscure horror-comedies, well they dont have to be obscure its just Ive probably seen a lot of the more famous ones. Films like Shaun of the Dead or Botched or Tucker and Dale, not films like Cabin Fever. Thanks

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

neoaxd posted:

It takes place about a decade before the revolution, but Battleship Potemkin seems like an obvious one, given it's themes and use as propaganda.

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I would love it if someone could recommend some more obscure horror-comedies, well they dont have to be obscure its just Ive probably seen a lot of the more famous ones. Films like Shaun of the Dead or Botched or Tucker and Dale, not films like Cabin Fever. Thanks

Severance, American Psycho, Braindead (Dead Alive), Bad Taste.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Did you see Cabin in the Woods?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Bubba Ho-Tep, Killer Condom, Feast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Ravenous. Not really obscure, but definitely under the radar.

• Locked thread