Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Skeezy posted:

I'd assume this Kingdom Key would be inside City Hall at the MK or Cinderella's Castle. I know for certain it's not in any of the Frontierland shops since I worked there.

I was thinking maybe City Hall, or near Cinderella Castle, yeah. The Wife™ was thinking The Emporium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012

randombattle posted:

The whole keyblade thing itself originates from the key to Disney land which is a real life big rear end key that every Disney park has and uses like a key to the city for events. The Tampa Disney World has their key in the gift shop which I think is the only one to display theirs all the time.

Is this the one you mean?

http://forums.khinsider.com/kingdom-hearts-series/161367-disney-store-keyblade.html#post5529997

TheWorstAtWords fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 30, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Behonkiss posted:

Finally buckled down and completely wrapped up Birth By Sleep today in anticipation of Tuesday. Great game, interesting ending, and while I know coherency isn't the series' strong suit, is there any explanation out there for what the hell that light was that saved Aqua from the giant Heartless at the very end?

FRIENDSHIP. Obviously.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kheldarn posted:

And yes, Disney Quest, at Downtown Disney, is just as awesome as a 5 story indoor arcade sounds. Maybe more awesome.

Disney Quest is awesome, but it's not a place I could go to all the time like I can Magic Kingdom. I could literally go to Magic Kingdom every day and never get tired of it.

That being said, Disney Quest is still a lot of fun, and the pirate game is fun as hell. The Buzz Lightyear game is really fun. I will say that 4 is definitely the perfect number to go there though. You shouldn't go with an odd number, mostly because of the buzz lightyear ride. But the pirate ride is perfect with four people, so you have one person navigating, one person on the right cannons, one person on the left, and one person on the center. If you can't rapidfire those cannons, you ain't poo poo

That is awesome :allears:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Behonkiss posted:

Finally buckled down and completely wrapped up Birth By Sleep today in anticipation of Tuesday. Great game, interesting ending, and while I know coherency isn't the series' strong suit, is there any explanation out there for what the hell that light was that saved Aqua from the giant Heartless at the very end?

ImpAtom is right, basically it's FRIENDSHIP. But did you get the most important part about Sora and Ventus's hearts being linked? It's kind of a dick move, but the very first scene in the game is incredibly important. This also explains why Sora has the Keyblade.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yup all the Disney parks have a big park key. Pretty sure none of them look like the Kingdom Key though.

And yes I meant Orlando and not Tampa but whatevs it's not like there's 2 Disney worlds in the area.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

randombattle posted:

And yes I meant Orlando and not Tampa but whatevs it's not like there's 2 Disney Worlds in the area on planet Earth.

:D

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Macaluso posted:

Disney Quest is awesome, but it's not a place I could go to all the time like I can Magic Kingdom. I could literally go to Magic Kingdom every day and never get tired of it.

That being said, Disney Quest is still a lot of fun, and the pirate game is fun as hell. The Buzz Lightyear game is really fun. I will say that 4 is definitely the perfect number to go there though. You shouldn't go with an odd number, mostly because of the buzz lightyear ride. But the pirate ride is perfect with four people, so you have one person navigating, one person on the right cannons, one person on the left, and one person on the center. If you can't rapidfire those cannons, you ain't poo poo

Disney Quest is loving great. I've only been there twice, back when I was a kid and the Pirate game was actually a Hercules game and later when it was the Pirate game. Going there recently I played a shitload of the fighting and railshooter games and remembered how terrible I was at the Aladdin game... oh god, the Aladdin game.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
God drat it stop talking about Disney theme parks because I'm jealous that the nearest one to me is Disneyland Paris and that one's all French.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Kissing Dad posted:

Never played a KH game but I figured some of you folks might enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DAhZJ3BL9o Kingdom of Hearts on the guitar done metal style

Just want to thank you for this awesomeness. I streamed the youtube from my android phone on the way to Safeway today, blasting it with the windows rolled down. A bunch of bros stared at me when I pulled into the parking lot haha.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

What do ranks do and how do you get higher ones? All of mine are D/E.

All ranks do is make your Dream Eaters come with better Strength, Magic, and Defense... to a ridiculous degree! I remember my * rank Lv. 40 something Skelterwild having better Str, Mag, and Def, when I made it, than my E rank Lv. 60+ Skelterwild ever had, and right now, my Lv. 70+ * rank Skelterwild has a Strength stat over 100.

A high rank Dream Eater may also affect the duration of your Link Attack or Link Style, but I haven't confirmed this one, so that may be a lot of bull.

As for how you make them, you probably shouldn't use recipes. You have to experiment with better materials (like Prickly Fantasy, Wild Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, Brilliant Fantasy, etc.), and use more than the required components. Melding a Dream Eater in a world where "Risky Winds" (aka increased Drop speed, Dream Eater battle level, and general odds against you) is the current forecast is also much preferred, because that gives you an automatic free rank up (so D becomes C, B becomes A, A becomes *, and so on), and a bigger chance for getting a rare Dream Eater if your melding allows for it. Experimenting without a recipe is also the way to obtain the AR Dream Eaters (all of them, King Meow, Ursa Circus, Sudo Neku, Frootz Cat, Kab Cannon, and R & R Seal) without using AR Cards, and can be used to get higher ranked Dream Eaters that way.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 30, 2012

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
What does that heart gauge mean in the Dream Eaters profiles? The one below the level. I finished this game twice and I still haven't figured it out.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Good lord, how do I beat the final boss of Tera's story in BBS (I'm assuming it's the final one anyway, you fight him in Tera's armor)? I can get him down to about half health by staying away and playing conservatively, but then he just starts healing constantly. If I get up close he does a bunch of combos that can't be interrupted and my block doesn't last through the entirety of. 90% of the time when I initiate an attack he just blocks and counters it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Basically be better at the game. He is a giant dick and a huge difficulty spike. Be better at timing your dodges and blocks, watch carefully for opportunities to attack, etc. Surge commands will probably help because they deal damage quickly (or really, most commands) while you will probably never have time for a full melee combo, let alone command styles.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

The Moon Monster posted:

Good lord, how do I beat the final boss of Tera's story in BBS (I'm assuming it's the final one anyway, you fight him in Tera's armor)? I can get him down to about half health by staying away and playing conservatively, but then he just starts healing constantly. If I get up close he does a bunch of combos that can't be interrupted and my block doesn't last through the entirety of. 90% of the time when I initiate an attack he just blocks and counters it.

Equip the Counter Hammer skill and abuse it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Any KH 3DS impressions? The story looks dumb as hell but the demo was fun once I got the movement stuff down. Dashing around was cool but I don't think I liked the fighting as much as BBS - maybe it was just the demo.

Edit: I read the impressions earlier but I kind of meant directly compared to BBS.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 30, 2012

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

ImpAtom is right, basically it's FRIENDSHIP. But did you get the most important part about Sora and Ventus's hearts being linked? It's kind of a dick move, but the very first scene in the game is incredibly important. This also explains why Sora has the Keyblade.

Do you mean the scene with Xehanort dropping Ventus off on Destiny Islands? I still don't know what the significance of that was. According to the KH Wikia, which is a godsend for a series as crazy as this, the answer to my earlier question is that the light that saved Aqua was actually Terra and Ven's Keyblades together. Guess they had to go somewhere after being swallowed up.

I'm also shocked to find out that BBS's secret ending is apparently something of actual story significance, and not another pre-rendered proof-of-concept teaser. I'm never going to 100% the game on Normal, so it's off to YouTube.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Behonkiss posted:

Do you mean the scene with Xehanort dropping Ventus off on Destiny Islands? I still don't know what the significance of that was.

When Xehanort removed all the Darkness from Ven's heart, he had an incomplete heart and became comatose. Xehanort was about to drop him off at Destiny Island to die, but Sora just so happened to be being born at the moment, and his new heart being born leant its power to Ven and completed his heart. Which is why they are linked, and why Ven's heart migrates into Sora's heart when it is lost.

Yes, it is very stupid.

EDIT: replaying re:coded is awesome, now that I am actually good at the command system I already have the second level spells by the end of Destiny Island :getin: goddamn it this is a good game, except for the system sector music.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 30, 2012

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Any KH 3DS impressions? The story looks dumb as hell but the demo was fun once I got the movement stuff down. Dashing around was cool but I don't think I liked the fighting as much as BBS - maybe it was just the demo.

Edit: I read the impressions earlier but I kind of meant directly compared to BBS.

Long Version: Directly compared to BBS... Well, the story is obviously worse. That said, I didn't think the story was bad. Just not up to par with BBS. It also references all the previous games (though you probably only need to have played KHII, BBS, and read summaries for the others).

Almost everything else is improved however!

Worlds are huge this time! For both characters! Unlike BBS's small corridor-like areas (most of the time), the areas are huge and pretty varied, so exploring them tend to be quite enjoyable. Sora and Riku tend to visit different areas usually, but the worlds don't suffer because of it. Getting around quickly through these huge areas is easy though, once you get good at Flowmotion. Thanks to Flowmotion, you can also get all the chests in a world on your first visit, mostly. Only The Grid to my experience forces you to go back to the world to pick up chests you've missed.

Areas that are visited by both Sora and Riku tend to have Treasure Chests in the exact same places as the others, unlike BBS where Treasure Chests were often in different places.

The Dream Eaters were one of the most enjoyable things in 3D. Not only are most of them cute or badass-looking, all of them are fairly competent fighters. Each Dream Eater has a Rank from F to *, depending on what, and how much of, materials that they were created from, and if the world that you created them in has a Risky Winds forecast. F to D are usable, but * Rank Dream Eaters have ridiculously good stats. Also, all the AR Spirit-only Dream Eaters can be created through materials found. All of them. Once you beat the main story, you get to transfer the Dream Eaters you created to a new game because you've most likely gotten attached to a couple of them, and probably spent time playing with them and improving their stats with stat-boosting food.

Combat is super fun, and much improved over BBS, this time around! We have the normal Deck Command system, which will be useful against the Dream Eaters. Your Dream Eater party members are also competent enough to hold their ground against the swarms of Nightmares you'll encounter, and that's good because the Nightmares are also just as competent as their Spirit counterparts! They're also more competent than any other type of enemy that you've battled thus far, a fair amount of them can dodge your attacks, consecutively, and they will use spells and status effects against you. Flowmotion attaks are fairly decent damage dealers, but the best way to fight the Dream Eaters is to use a variety of attacks. Normal combos, commands, and flowmotion attacks, plus Link Attacks or Link Styles against the really bad ones (which are also a fair amount). There's also world-specific attacks that are called Reality Shifts, which use the touchscreen in a variety of ways. They're also pretty cool to use as well.

Abilities and Commands are shared between Sora and Riku now, so you can equip the same command to both, even if you only have one of it. That said, certain commands are exclusive to either Sora or Riku, likely so that they are diversified. Once you unlock a Support or Spirit Ability on one character, the other character also gets to benefit from it. (AKA if you unlock Second Chance while playing as Sora, Riku immediately gets to benefit from it.) Also, if you're currently playing as Sora, you can edit the Command Decks belonging to Riku and vice versa. Dream Eater party members must be edited while playing as the character whose party you want to edit though.

Difficulty balance is a lot better than BBS in my opinion. Because you get your commands and abilities from your Dream Eaters, you are pretty much locked away from getting all-powerful commands early, unlike BBS. Same goes for top tier abilities like Once More and Second Chance, you can get Second Chance early if you know what you're doing, but you will very likely not get Once More before endgame. This way of locking away the useful abilities seems to have let the developers create bosses and groups of enemies that, along with the improved enemy A.I., manage to create encounters that, while challenging, are also fair. It also makes Standard mode actually difficult at times, so new players may actually have a reason to use Beginner mode. You tend to have easy encounters at first, but once you begin on your second world, the encounters begin to get more difficult from there, necessiating use of your Dream Eaters to get you through.

Bosses, thanks to the combo of Once More and Second Chance being mostly absent through most of the main story, now range from fairly challenging to actually difficult, from Hockomonkey to Spellican to Young Xehanort. Most of them are also difficult in a fair way, not like BBS's bosses where the majority were pretty much your normal enemy with more health bars, and most of the rest being ungodly difficult for all the wrong reasons, with a couple of fairly challenging and fun bosses thrown in. In fact, almost all of the boss battles in 3D were enjoyable. Even bonus boss Julius were fun to fight, and difficult for all the right reasons. Once you beat the main story, you even get to rematch most of the bosses, and every boss is now at least as powerful as the last bosses, maybe even more!

The Drop Gauge took some time getting used to, but after a while, I've gotten used to it. This is probably the only negative gameplay thing about the game, but I think the rest of the improvements more than make up for this.

The keyblades aren't flat-looking like in BBS, in my opinion! They have real models now!

3D's tutorials aren't very long, and they're skippable! This is a very good thing!

I also think that 3D's OST is better than BBS's OST.

tl;dr Version: I find most of 3D to be a more enjoyable experience than BBS. It's improved in all the right areas, and while obviously flawed, the good points greatly outshine the weak ones, in my opinion.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Hopefully not an odd question but are there anything like Drives from KH2 in this game? I always love mechanics that change your basic combat gameplay. When done well anyway. Is that what link styles are?

Very good write up by the way.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
After 97 tries, I FINALLY DEFEATED LINGERING SENTIMENT.

Now I have a stylish gold crown.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

JackDarko posted:

Hopefully not an odd question but are there anything like Drives from KH2 in this game? I always love mechanics that change your basic combat gameplay. When done well anyway. Is that what link styles are?

Very good write up by the way.

You mean like changing your basic combo and how you fight? Link Styles are kinda like that, but I think they have more in common with the Command Styles from BBS, rather than KHII's Drives. They are also exclusive to Riku only.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I sorta wish that drives would come back in a later game. They were really fun to use and made you feel badass.

Antiform rules by the way, gently caress the haters.:colbert: It was amazing just ripping poo poo to shreds like an animal for no real reason.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was cool when that happened against regular enemies, but not when I'm fighting Xaldin and trying not to get killed by his loving Dragon Beam.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Folt The Bolt posted:

Worlds are huge this time! For both characters!

Oh thank goodness. Now if only they'd make worlds that were actually populated with life instead of really awkward ones like Cinderella's grand ball whose attendance consisted of literally 5 people.

Question: Can we still ravage enemies with Magnega? And is the Magnet set of spells as easy to get as it was in BBS?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Oh thank goodness. Now if only they'd make worlds that were actually populated with life instead of really awkward ones like Cinderella's grand ball whose attendance consisted of literally 5 people.

Question: Can we still ravage enemies with Magnega? And is the Magnet set of spells as easy to get as it was in BBS?

Don't forget the Olympus Coliseum games in KH1 which were viewed by no one. The same problem exists in this game; when Esmeralda is being burned at the stake the only people who show up are Frollo, Quasimodo and Sora.

Also, I haven't come across any magnet spells so far (except Collision Magnet) so it's quite possible they were taken out.

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 31, 2012

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Also, I haven't come across any magnet spells so far (except Collision Magnet) so it's quite possible they were taken out.

:negative: Gravity-like spells are always the coolest sort of spells in RPGs. Don't do this to me now KH.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Terper posted:

:negative: Gravity-like spells are always the coolest sort of spells in RPGs. Don't do this to me now KH.

Magnet spells were sadly taken out of this game. Collision Magnet and Magnet Spiral is still in I believe. That said, we do get the Zero Gravity line of spells, excluding Transcendence, but with a fourth tier spell called Zero Graviza.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Argue posted:

Quasimodo: I've been crowned the king of fools!

Uhh, by who? There are literally four people in the whole city. If anything I felt like the worlds were too big in 3D. I liked the more linear worlds in BBS as it wasn't so easy to get lost and it didn't turn into bloody hide-and-seek with chests. Plus the worlds are a LOT more vertical in this one. Probably some more tall than wide, which loving sucks when you have no 'camera up/down' button or first person view.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Quasimodo: I've been crowned the king of fools!

Uhh, by who? There are literally four people in the whole city. If anything I felt like the worlds were too big in 3D. I liked the more linear worlds in BBS as it wasn't so easy to get lost and it didn't turn into bloody hide-and-seek with chests. Plus the worlds are a LOT more vertical in this one. Probably some more tall than wide, which loving sucks when you have no 'camera up/down' button or first person view.

Press and hold down L and R, and then you can use the circle pad to look around. Alternatively, the CPP can help.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Haquer posted:

Press and hold down L and R, and then you can use the circle pad to look around. Alternatively, the CPP can help.

Well blow me down I didn't know this. Also I'm not sure the CPP has even been released in this country. I've not seen one for sale anywhere. It's also loving ridiculous and I refuse to own one. :colbert:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Well blow me down I didn't know this. Also I'm not sure the CPP has even been released in this country. I've not seen one for sale anywhere. It's also loving ridiculous and I refuse to own one. :colbert:

I got one just to try it out and I'm actually pleasantly surprised with it. Useful as hell in MGS3D and I'll be able to review how it works on KH3D when my copy gets in today (seriously, why did the US get the last release date :negative: )

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Is it even possible to still press the face buttons with your thumb with that monstrosity in the way?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Is it even possible to still press the face buttons with your thumb with that monstrosity in the way?

Yeah it's fine, although admittedly I do have massive hands. Funnily enough it caused no end of hand cramping for me in Resident Evil: Revelations but I've been fine and dandy with it so far in Kingdom Hearts.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

The GIG posted:

I sorta wish that drives would come back in a later game. They were really fun to use and made you feel badass.

Antiform rules by the way, gently caress the haters.:colbert: It was amazing just ripping poo poo to shreds like an animal for no real reason.

I'd be cool if they gave you a Nobody Form in the next game where you literally just play as a powered up Roxas.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I have small hands and I have 0 problems with it. It's not as big as it looks, honestly.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
How does Frollo sound? Did they get a good replacement for Tony Jay? Well I know it's trying to replace Tony Jay of all people...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pesky Splinter posted:

How does Frollo sound? Did they get a good replacement for Tony Jay? Well I know it's trying to replace Tony Jay of all people...

It appears to be this guy:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0123553/

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Folt The Bolt posted:

Long Version: Directly compared to BBS... Well, the story is obviously worse. That said, I didn't think the story was bad. Just not up to par with BBS. It also references all the previous games (though you probably only need to have played KHII, BBS, and read summaries for the others).

Almost everything else is improved however!

Combat is super fun, and much improved over BBS, this time around!,
Well that sounds like enough honestly, the combat in BBS was quite fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I read the impressions earlier but I kind of meant directly compared to BBS.

blah blah the story is satan yeah whatever

The drop system is a piece of poo poo, the levels didn't really impress me besides seeing traverse town again (they feel kinda empty), flowmotion is waayyy to strong, there are way less commands and you can't meld anymore (because of this sora and riku feel more similar then the characters in BBS did), the bosses are almost all not-fun (something not helped by the drop gauge), and despite "beat monsters and put 'em on your party" being a mechanic of jrpgs for about 20 years they aren't really that good.