Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

There's also the whole matter of his tooth, which seems to be incredibly powerful as well.

The Protagonist posted:

Also he threw a guy through a pillar in the court.

RickoniX posted:

And he gave a fox and a wolf fantastic supernatural powers
Aw, drat, well there goes that theory out the window. :eng99:

Urban Space Cowboy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Aw, drat, well there goes that theory out the window. :eng99:
<-- Also he made this face

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Perhaps the catch is the "I". Perhaps Coyote is not an individual entity.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Pick posted:

Perhaps the catch is the "I". Perhaps Coyote is not an individual entity.

Motherfucker. This is probably exactly right.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Aren't you paying attention he's sustained by dead dudes

So Coyote's great secret... is that he's a carnivore? :confused:

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Zereth posted:

<-- Also he made this face
That goes under ideas being infinitely malleable. :haw:

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

See also - "I want you to keep in mind the real Ysengrin"?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
That'd explain the multiple eyes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

That goes under ideas being infinitely malleable. :haw:
Yes but it is an awesome face and nobody should ever forget it. :colbert:

EDIT: drat it maybe I should've gone with "Coyote why are you making such a cool face? coyote you have to tell me your secret"

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I just read everything from start to finish and it's fantastic. Holy poo poo!

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach

Kessel posted:

I just read everything from start to finish and it's fantastic. Holy poo poo!

Welcome to the fan club!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I did it, I finally did it. I watched Princess Mononoke. Probably wasn't the intention but I couldn't help laughing every time a head or limb was sent flying in the air. The scene with the forest spirit near the end was particularly hilarious.

Anyway, good film, I'll have to watch it again with the English dub. I'm posting this here since without GC I wouldn't even know it existed so thanks, Tom!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you liked that and haven't watched the others yet, you should definitely check out the other Hayao Miyazaki films. They're all really great.

(My Neighbor Totoro and Ponyo = :3:)
(Although, Spirited Away is a little bit more in style with Princess Mononoke.)

Onean fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 31, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Coyote's turn. I bet it actually answers nothing. Clever Coyote.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Dyllyn posted:

Welcome to the fan club!

The things that stand out to me, in no particular order:

- While the characters are a little more knowledgeable about the world than the reader, by and large they discover it together with you. That's a great base for telling a story about an unfamiliar world because it gives the reader some kind of anchor and allows them to connect with the characters in a story.

As someone who deals with writing for a living, proper use of this absolutely fills me with glee - mostly because I see so many examples of people NOT doing it. They write their fantastical world or whatever and all the characters are placed into it knowing everything. The reader is the only one who is completely loving lost, with nobody to relate to.

Sure, that poo poo works - but only if you're a better writer. Most people are too busy circlejerking their own world to actually tell a story worth a drat. This is a particularly egregious error in the world of webcomics.

- Knowing when to break the rules is just as important a part of the above. Siddell isn't afraid to set something up which may initially appear confusing and overwhelming (a flashback, or starting a chapter in media res) because he's good enough to flesh it out later without making you feel gipped.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where he takes this!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kessel posted:

- While the characters are a little more knowledgeable about the world than the reader, by and large they discover it together with you. That's a great base for telling a story about an unfamiliar world because it gives the reader some kind of anchor and allows them to connect with the characters in a story.

I have to say, that's why the whole bit with Annie mentioning she knows about what Jones is really irritated me. It's an exception to the rule of us solving mysteries as she does. Now there's a big element sitting there that's only unknown to the reader. It works in the case of the other things like elements of Annie's backstory or the forest, since the reader surrogate in those cases is kinda Kat, but Jones is an ongoing mystery that was started in the comic and had the main characters wondering, and having it solved for them but not us doesn't work.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 31, 2012

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

MikeJF posted:

I have to say, that's why the whole bit with Annie mentioning she knows about what Jones is really irritated me. It's an exception to the rule of us solving mysteries as she does. Now there's a big element sitting there that's only unknown to the reader. It works in the case of the other things like elements of Annie's backstory or the forest, since the reader surrogate in those cases is kinda Kat, but Jones is an ongoing mystery that was started in the comic and had the main characters wondering, and having it solved for them but not us doesn't work.

Yeah, this is reasonable - my gutcheck on why it's been done this way is that it's setting up for an active reveal (Jones shows her true capabilities/"form", if you will, that will let the characters roll with it while still having the full impact of "So -that's- what that all meant!" for the readers). This being said, yeah, I was kinda disgruntled/sad that we didn't get the explanation then, but if the payoff ends up fine I'll have no qualms here.

On that note, a potential inversion/twist of what Coyote meant - Coyote does not exist because he has given all of his original "self" away, to Ysengrin, Reynardine - and perhaps to the Court in the form of his eye.

Jones may well be Coyote's "Wandering Eye".

EDIT: This'd also fit with Coyote being multiple entities!

EDIT 2: This being said, Jones doesn't hold sides according to her. Maybe she was originally separated by Coyote to watch over the divide? Would this make her the progenitor of the Tic-Tocs? (Wandering Eye and the eye motif of the Tic-Tocs would match up well here).

Torokasi fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 31, 2012

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MikeJF posted:

I'm sure it will be explained with time, but it is pretty annoying being left wide open as is. I'm just thinking that because the comic is still ongoing that there's plenty of time left to tie off loose ends

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

MikeJF posted:

In all honesty, that's the impression I've had of Annie in general for this third year. In the first year, she was an unflappable little girl in a spooky, goofy, mysterious old school. In the second year, she had to open up and show some emotion.

But ever since she flipped out on the bridge, we've been in the dark about Annie's real feelings. She was still cheating, and we didn't know. She pulled that whole stunt with Jack. First she was cold, then she was a forest wild child, then she had bones growing out of her heart.

Despite having followed Annie for the entire story, I feel like we know less about her now than any time in the past.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

FronzelNeekburm posted:

In all honesty, that's the impression I've had of Annie in general for this third year. In the first year, she was an unflappable little girl in a spooky, goofy, mysterious old school. In the second year, she had to open up and show some emotion.

But ever since she flipped out on the bridge, we've been in the dark about Annie's real feelings. She was still cheating, and we didn't know. She pulled that whole stunt with Jack. First she was cold, then she was a forest wild child, then she had bones growing out of her heart.

Despite having followed Annie for the entire story, I feel like we know less about her now than any time in the past.
Yeah, there's definitely been a noticeable shift in perspective between years two and three. We used to see more of Annie's PoV and inner thoughts; now, it feels more like we're on the outside, looking in.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Onean posted:

If you liked that and haven't watched the others yet, you should definitely check out the other Hayao Miyazaki films. They're all really great.

(My Neighbor Totoro and Ponyo = :3:)
(Although, Spirited Away is a little bit more in style with Princess Mononoke.)

I haven't but I definitely will. Thanks for the suggestions.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

seravid posted:

I haven't but I definitely will. Thanks for the suggestions.

Make sure you check out Grave of the Fireflies. To simulate the original theater experience watch it right after My Neighbor Totoro.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't think Coyote would like Kat very much.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
O, now that's a rather sinister viewpoint Coyote holds. The ability to see things that might not be right in front of them, and to take inspiration from it is both a blessing and a curse of humanity.

Also, I love the half-skeleton coyote in the top right.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Oh poo poo, looks like Tom's read Blindsight.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Shavnir posted:

Make sure you check out Grave of the Fireflies. To simulate the original theater experience watch it right after My Neighbor Totoro.
Jesus dude, he might as well go whole hog and finish up with The Dog of Flanders.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

ATP_Power posted:

Oh poo poo, looks like Tom's read Blindsight.

I came here to say this. Jones is a space vampire!

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
That rock really does look pretty feminine. No idea why.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Fecha posted:

That rock really does look pretty feminine. No idea why.
To me it looks like a blanket wrapped around a baby minus the baby

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

pik_d posted:

To me it looks like a blanket wrapped around a baby minus the baby
You should get that checked out.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I saw a rock :-(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blindsight: Eh, intellect wasn't a disease in Blindsight. Just the opposite. Intellect was fine. Consciousness was not. Intellect without consciousness was what the aliens/vampires were.

Interesting that Coyote sees human intellect, our defining factor, as a disease and yet it's gotta be that which makes him love us so much.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So if you take this story literally, Coyote is the physical manifestation of what humanity sees as the uncontrollable aspects of nature. And it's not so much that humans can stop believing in him, because it's ingrained into what they are.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

MikeJF posted:

Blindsight: Eh, intellect wasn't a disease in Blindsight. Just the opposite. Intellect was fine. Consciousness was not. Intellect without consciousness was what the aliens/vampires were.

Interesting that Coyote sees human intellect, our defining factor, as a disease and yet it's gotta be that which makes him love us so much.

If I remember Blindsight correctly: The things that Coyote describes (seeing symbolism in things etc.) were used in the book as precursors to or symptoms of consciousness, whereas pure intellect would just perceive the world as it is. So even if he's not using the same word, it looks like more or less the same idea to me.

I guess that this page might explain why Coyote describes the Court's scientific endeavors as man's attempt to become God. They're trying to see nature for what it is, to strip away the meaning that their minds have invested in it, and in doing so to strip away or control the power of creatures like Coyote who live off of that meaning.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
"Human intellect is a disease" says the trickster God to an intellectual human.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We're getting a lot of gorgeous art this chapter.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ChairMaster posted:

I don't think Coyote would like Kat very much.

I think we're starting to see a new conflict building up here, yeah.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

We're getting a lot of gorgeous art this every chapter.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So yeah what I'm getting here is that Coyote doesn't exist in the manner that he's not a god that's always been there, but as a construct or manifestation of man's frustration at the inevitable, undefeatable, and that which he does not understand.
Remember that Gunnerkrigg Court is man's attempt at being god? This probably relates to what Coyote is talking about right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

"Human intellect is a disease"?

Maybe Gunnerkrigg will be getting an actual villain soon... And either way, that certainly explains better why the forest dislikes the court.