Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
What's the one that Neil Gaiman used in American Gods that's actually meant to be good and huge? The House on the Rock or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick

Nilbop posted:

What's the one that Neil Gaiman used in American Gods that's actually meant to be good and huge? The House on the Rock or something?

Yeah. House on the Rock in Wisconson, which is loving awesome. I went for a school trip in middle school and have wanted to go back ever since.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wasn't there suppose to be a new episode tonight?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
No, show is on break till August 10th.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Nope, next week.

Why? :iiam:

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

BigRed0427 posted:

Wasn't there suppose to be a new episode tonight?

Nope, next episode is set to air August 10th, but they might continue the trend of releasing the on demand version a week early for that one cable provider.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Took a bit of crunching but here it is.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So, a commercial for the next episode is out.

Spoilers, obviously.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Occupation posted:

The Mystery Spot is horribly lame, terribly overpriced, and above all tiny. Also, it has terrible parking- like atrociously terrible parking situation.

So what you're saying is, the TV show countterpart is true to life down to the last detail. :allears:

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

SynthOrange posted:

Took a bit of crunching but here it is.

Oh, this is lovely. Bless you, sir.

Anyone got any good title ideas?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
According to this, Manly Dan is Wendy's dad. I feel like I totally missed this.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pick posted:

The entire family has red hair and wears plaid.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Also, they're eating together in the diner in Dipper vs. Manliness.

Though I first suspected they were related when I saw manly dan on the boat punching the fish in the Legend of the Gobblewonker.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vaerai Archon posted:

The entire family has red hair and wears plaid.

Wearing plaid is so not a decisive characteristic in the PNW.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I notice that Pacific Northwest is the most popular girl in Gravity Falls. She might be second to Gideon in overall popularity :v:.

There won't be another break like this, will there?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

Also, they're eating together in the diner in Dipper vs. Manliness.

Though I first suspected they were related when I saw manly dan on the boat punching the fish in the Legend of the Gobblewonker.

I figured it was true once I noticed this:

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.

Pick posted:

That just makes Wendy even cooler.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pick posted:

Wearing plaid is so not a decisive characteristic in the PNW.

This is more true than anyone can possibly believe. Hell, on my way to get coffee before work this morning (this way ~6:30 on a Sunday) I saw two people wearing plaid at the local coffee shop. Portland!

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Really loving this show so far, particularly episode 5. I was a bit disappointed with episode 6 -- I don't think the plot or the gags were up to Grav Falls' usual standards, and I took issue with the "moral," that standing up for what's right is an inherently masculine thing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So is this show taking a break for the Olympics like every other network on the airwaves?

Ashcan Pete
May 29, 2011

Wildeyes posted:

Really loving this show so far, particularly episode 5. I was a bit disappointed with episode 6 -- I don't think the plot or the gags were up to Grav Falls' usual standards, and I took issue with the "moral," that standing up for what's right is an inherently masculine thing.

I took it to mean that standing up for what's right is an inherently mature thing. I saw the whole episode as Dipper trying to grow up and prove himself (something that's already a theme so far this season) and finding out that the Manotaurs' expressive machismo isn't the same as being mature. But that's just me, maybe I'm projecting my interpretation onto things.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

So is this show taking a break for the Olympics like every other network on the airwaves?

Yes. It's back on the 10th.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The real Grunkle (Grandpa) Stan!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I just watched every episode of this show and I am hooked. It just has so much CHARM.

Really looking forward to seeing more.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Man, I had no idea this show existed. I'm not sure if Tina and Jimmy Jr could survive if faced with an Onwards Aoshima avatar...

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Wildeyes posted:

That wasn't the moral. The moral is more along the lines of what C.S Lewis actually wrote about the difference between adults and kids. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 1, 2012

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Exactly, the moral is that masculinity =/= adulthood. It was pointing out the difference between being a MAN(three y chromosomes, two adam's apples, and nipples are fists), and a man(an adult).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I really liked the message of Dipper Vs. Manliness, myself. Along with the whole inversion of the "friend zone" trope in the Gideon episode, this is a suprisingly subversive little show the Disney Channel has got going on here.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Aerox posted:

I figured it was true once I noticed this:

Noticed what?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nilbop posted:

Noticed what?

"DAN"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

What do you ... oh, ohhhh. Ho ho ho!

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Stormageddon posted:

Exactly, the moral is that masculinity =/= adulthood. It was pointing out the difference between being a MAN(three y chromosomes, two adam's apples, and nipples are fists), and a man(an adult).

Except Grunkle Stan was the one who determined that Dipper had done something manly, and earlier in the episode he had defined "manly" as doing stereotypically masculine things.

Sorry, I tried to rationalize it too. It just doesn't work.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Winklebottom posted:

The real Grunkle (Grandpa) Stan!

Stan sure has nice taste in gold chains.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Kibibit posted:

Stan sure has nice taste in gold chains.

Well he does have a subscription to "Gold Chains For Old Men" magazine.

chiefnewo fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 2, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wildeyes posted:

Except Grunkle Stan was the one who determined that Dipper had done something manly, and earlier in the episode he had defined "manly" as doing stereotypically masculine things.

Well, if you look at it, Dipper actually succeeded all the manotaurs' macho manliness tests in that episode. He did vanquish the multi-bear, just decided to spare him. And standing tall and telling a fire-breathing monster that looks like it's a thousand times your mass that he's a big jerk and won't boss you around is actually pretty macho. He doesn't let himself be intimidated into obedience, doesn't run away, and doesn't cower.

Heck, if the manotaurs weren't meant to be a bunch of dim-witted brutes, defying Leaderar's orders in this way would have been a successful way to complete the trial.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008

Wildeyes posted:

Because Gruncle Stan has never been shown to have any sort of duality.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
If you constantly are hunting for "sexist" examples of gender in media. You will find them. Whether your complaint is valid or not.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

In an episode about "masculinity", no less.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

We're heading into Tumblr territory, people.

Enjoy this 19th century Gravity Falls instead. The picture of Vlad the Impaler in the background is a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

Nilbop posted:

In an episode about "masculinity", no less.

Confirmation bias is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs, such as gender in society. If a person, or set of people have personal issues with gender, then they will find issues to squawk about. Because they examine things from the mind set of things being guilty until proven innocent of the crime of sexism. I'm just saying that at some point the examination of gender roles in children's cartoons becomes a witch hunt.

Also, and I hate to say this, but this is a Disney show. At what point in their long history of helpless princesses, and witchy old women were you expecting an episode about "masculinity" to go any different than it did? Hell I think as far as Disney stuff goes this might of been the most progressive set of gender norms I've ever seen put forth.

Can anyone tell me when this site became forums.somethingequality.hugbox?

Both of the kids seem to have been given episodes that show them able to stand up for themselves and what they believe in under pressure. Why isn't that enough?

• Locked thread