Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

musclecoder posted:

I really have no idea what I would do if some big company came knocking with a boatload of money.
You'll think of something! :bubblewoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Gnack posted:

On a semi-unrelated note, anyone know of anything like Stripe that is available in Australia? Some way down the track I'll be needing to accept payments from people through my project and I'm not sure where to start - would appreciate some first-hand impressions if anyone has anything to offer?

There isn't one, but Pin looks promising.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Nothing special yet, but it's merely the first step...

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

UraniumAnchor posted:

Nothing special yet, but it's merely the first step...
I just loves me some 6502. :3:

It looks like you've got everything sorted out, but maybe this might help? Here are the macros from my C code for my quickie 6502 disassembler:

code:
#define IMMEDIATE(op) { printf("%04x: %02x %02x -- %s $%02x\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1)), op, (*(code+currentIP+1))); currentIP += 2; break; }
#define ZEROPAGE(op) { printf("%04x: %02x %02x -- %s $00%02x\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1)), op, (*(code+currentIP+1))); currentIP += 2; break; }
#define ZEROPAGE_X(op) { printf("%04x: %02x %02x -- %s $00%02x, X\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1)), op, (*(code+currentIP+1))); currentIP += 2; break; }
#define ZEROPAGE_Y(op) { printf("%04x: %02x %02x -- %s $00%02x, Y\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1)), op, (*(code+currentIP+1))); currentIP += 2; break; }
#define ABSOLUTE(op) { printf("%04x: %02x %02x %02x %s $%02x%02x\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1)), (*(code+currentIP+2)), op, (*(code+currentIP+2)), (*(code+currentIP+1))); currentIP += 3; break; }
#define ABSOLUTE_X(op) { printf("%04x: %02x %02x %02x %s $%02x%02x, X\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1)), (*(code+currentIP+2)), op, (*(code+currentIP+2)), (*(code+currentIP+1))); currentIP += 3; break; }
#define ABSOLUTE_Y(op) { printf("%04x: %02x %02x %02x %s $%02x%02x, Y\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1)), (*(code+currentIP+2)), op, (*(code+currentIP+2)), (*(code+currentIP+1))); currentIP += 3; break; }
#define INDIRECT(op) { printf("%04x: %02x %02x %02x %s ($%02x%02x)\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1)), (*(code+currentIP+2)), op, (*(code+currentIP+2)), (*(code+currentIP+1))); currentIP += 3; break; }
#define INDIRECT_X(op) { printf("%04x: %02x %02x -- %s ($%02x, X)\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1)), op, (*(code+currentIP+1))); currentIP += 2; break; }
#define INDIRECT_Y(op) { printf("%04x: %02x %02x -- %s ($%02x), Y\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1)), op, (*(code+currentIP+1))); currentIP += 2; break; }
#define ACCUMULATOR(op) { printf("%04x: %02x -- -- %s A\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), op); currentIP++; break; }
#define RELATIVE(op) { printf("%04x: %02x %02x -- %s $%02x\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1)), op, (*(code+currentIP+1))); currentIP += 2; break; }
#define IMPLIED(op) { printf("%04x: %02x -- -- %s\n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), op); currentIP++; break; }
#define INVALID { printf("%04x: %02x -- -- INVALID \n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP)); currentIP++; break; }
#define INVALID_TWO { printf("%04x: %02x %02x -- INVALID \n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1))); currentIP += 2; break; }
#define INVALID_THREE { printf("%04x: %02x %02x %02x INVALID \n", (currentIP + 0x8000), *(code+currentIP), (*(code+currentIP+1)),(*(code+currentIP+2))); currentIP += 3; break; }
I set up a large case statement to use them like this:

code:
    switch (*(code+currentIP))
    {
      /**** ADC ****/
      case 0x69: IMMEDIATE("ADC")
      case 0x65: ZEROPAGE("ADC")
      case 0x75: ZEROPAGE_X("ADC")
      case 0x6D: ABSOLUTE("ADC")
      case 0x7D: ABSOLUTE_X("ADC")
      case 0x79: ABSOLUTE_Y("ADC")
      case 0x61: INDIRECT_X("ADC")
      case 0x71: INDIRECT_Y("ADC")
      /**** AND ****/
Set up the switch for whatever opcodes are supported by your hardware and you are good to go. I use a base address of $8000 because of the hardware I am working with, but you can use whatever for your project. The only gotcha is if there is a large data block in the middle of a binary dump, you can interpret some of the data as instructions, get one or two bytes off, and then get garbage after that point in your disassembly. You get output like:

code:
8000: 78 -- -- SEI
8001: d8 -- -- CLD
8002: a9 10 -- LDA $10
8004: 8d 00 20 STA $2000
8007: a2 ff -- LDX $ff
8009: 9a -- -- TXS
800a: ad 02 20 LDA $2002

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

This is going to be very useful.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

UraniumAnchor posted:

I have been playing too much eve-online. I thought this was a system jump map.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

Is there any software that can generate documents like this in which I can provide a series of functions/methods to help organize a loving massive OO project I'm working on? I'm thinking something that will draw boxes for me, the box will be labeled with the method name, then it has input arrows/output arrows for the values in and out. It would really help me collaborate with a small team because we would be able to be responsible for different parts of the application, and so long as everyone follows their input guidelines and provide correct output based on the document, I can modularize dev work with a small team.

I am a programming tinkerer and mostly do system admin stuff, so I've never had the opportunity to see what kinds of tools are used for something like this.

e: VVV Thanks! Giving it a try now.

e2: I was skeptical for a moment not having a wyswyg UI for it, but this is pretty badass. Thanks!

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 27, 2012

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Is there any software that can generate documents like this in which I can provide a series of functions/methods to help organize a loving massive OO project I'm working on? I'm thinking something that will draw boxes for me, the box will be labeled with the method name, then it has input arrows/output arrows for the values in and out. It would really help me collaborate with a small team because we would be able to be responsible for different parts of the application, and so long as everyone follows their input guidelines and provide correct output based on the document, I can modularize dev work with a small team.

I am a programming tinkerer and mostly do system admin stuff, so I've never had the opportunity to see what kinds of tools are used for something like this.

Perhaps Graphviz might help. That's where I'd start.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

hendersa posted:

Perhaps Graphviz might help. That's where I'd start.

Built on graphviz, LJV for java has helped me make sense of some massive tree structures.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Yeah, I used graphviz for that chart. Does a pretty good job. The hard part was generating the nodes and edges, and even that was fairly easy.

Terminal58
Jun 29, 2010

This is my tofu-doku. Spent about 7 hours making it today, this is some of the javascript.

code:
function checkBoard() { <!-- Paint all the errors -->
	"use strict";
	clearClassBoard();
	checkLine(true)
	checkLine(false)
	checkGrids()
}

function checkLine(horizontalbool) {
	var lineblocks = [], lineblocksname = [], tempindex, matchblock, block, r, c;
	for (r = 1; r < 10; r++) {
		lineblocks.splice(0, 10);
		lineblocksname.splice(0, 10);
		for (c = 1; c < 10; c++) {
			if (horizontalbool === true){
				block = getBlock(r, c);
			} else {
				block = getBlock(c, r); <!-- drat Im clever -->
			}

if (block.value !== '') {
				lineblocks.push(block.value);
				lineblocksname.push(block.getAttribute('name'))
			}
		}
		while (lineblocks.length > 0) {
			tempindex = lineblocks.indexOf(lineblocks[0], 1);
			if (tempindex > 0) {
				matchblock = getBlockByName(lineblocksname[tempindex]);
				block = getBlockByName(lineblocksname[0]);
				matchblock.setAttribute('class', 'error');
				block.setAttribute('class', 'error');
				lineblocks.splice(0, 1);
				lineblocks.splice(tempindex, 1);
				lineblocksname.splice(0, 1);
				lineblocksname.splice(tempindex, 1);
			} else {
				lineblocks.splice(0, 1);
				lineblocksname.splice(0, 1);
			}
		}
	}
}
Still need to make the puzzle generator, I'm kind of lost on how to generate a good puzzle.

Terminal58 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 29, 2012

Toekutr
Dec 9, 2008
I got tired of raytracing.

So I wrote a raycaster

Left just enough of my emacs window in the shot so you guys could see how fast it runs. :smuggo:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I totally re-wrote my "Bullets" system, now I can actually render projectiles for bullets as well as dealing damage for them in a much more accurate way.

The two guys at the bottom left at about to get hit by two bullets from the guys at the top right.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

I wrote an exporter for Processing ( http://processing.org ) & Hemesh ( http://hemesh.wblut.com ) to the Intel Embree raytracer.

http://creative-co.de/hemesh2embree/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Huragok posted:

There isn't one, but Pin looks promising.

Oh wow, thanks! Exactly what I need, here's hoping it works out for them - it'd be an awesome service.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Dolex posted:

I wrote an exporter for Processing ( http://processing.org ) & Hemesh ( http://hemesh.wblut.com ) to the Intel Embree raytracer.

Holy gently caress, this looks amazing! Can we work on some visuals together? Please? :ohdear:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I made some new "Line of sight" cones that can look at any pixel now thanks to googling up some basic trigonometry lessons. Here they are looking at the mouse cursor in the top left of the window (unseen).

They're stretched horizontally to match the isometric design of the game. Looking forward to actually dropping them into the game and making them work.

Toekutr
Dec 9, 2008
Floor texturing works! almost

Edit:

screw floor textures

here's some colored quads

Toekutr fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 2, 2012

Dolex
May 5, 2001

I love that I make these and I never use the mouse once. The mouse is the most non-creative tool in history.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toekutr
Dec 9, 2008
sprites!

Since the eye candy is pretty much all done (it still needs textured ceilings/floors imo), I should work on making this more than a tech demo.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Is that a swastika tile in the back? :psyduck:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Biowarfare posted:

Is that a swastika tile in the back? :psyduck:
Have you never heard of wolfenstein 3d? :psyduck:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

peepsalot posted:

Have you never heard of wolfenstein 3d? :psyduck:

Actually no, what was it? It apparently was released before I was born

edit: ah, killing nazis, WW2 game(?)

Impotence fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 3, 2012

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Biowarfare posted:

:corsair: Kids these days...

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Biowarfare posted:

Well, I'm done :suicide:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Biowarfare posted:

This has to be a troll.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Grawl posted:

This has to be a troll.

Or we're just really that old now.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

mnd posted:

Holy gently caress, this looks amazing! Can we work on some visuals together? Please? :ohdear:
I'm a real insulting dickface, and I don't work well with others. That is unless I think they are hugely better than I am. In that case I will kiss their rear end and steal their best ideas.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

prolecat posted:

Or we're just really that old now.

I remember 1992. We used to shoot those Nazis good :argh:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Well, I'm done :suicide:

Back in my day, we didn't have video games about the middle east. We rehashed a 40-year-old war over and over.

And we liked it!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
My first ExtJS application for monitoring our IT infrastructure is coming along nicely:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Misogynist posted:

My first ExtJS application for monitoring our IT infrastructure is coming along nicely:

That's cool. Why not go with something like Munin?

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Misogynist posted:

Looks really nice! I use Ext.NET and I'm a big fan of the visual style.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Dolex posted:

I'm a real insulting dickface, and I don't work well with others. That is unless I think they are hugely better than I am. In that case I will kiss their rear end and steal their best ideas.
Fair enough! Thanks for the heads up!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

my stepdads beer posted:

That's cool. Why not go with something like Munin?
There's a lot of options out there: Munin, Graphite, and OpenTSDB to name a few. Of these, Graphite seems (so far) best-poised to:

a) collect and trend completely arbitrary system metrics really easily without a ton of custom plugins (you can dump data to it with netcat)
b) integrate best into custom dashboards and view components

It's got its warts for sure, and I hope it inspires someone to come up with something much better to supplant it soon, but for now it's a pretty okay RRD storage tool. For me, Munin's biggest flaw is that it's still using rrdtool, which was okay five years ago but is woefully underqualified for the kinds of metric storage we need today. Have you ever tried to backfill historical data into rrdtool once a more recent data point has been written into the database? It's impossible -- the rrdtool format wasn't designed to do that.

We're opting for the custom dashboard route as a way to help us correlate performance charts, availability problems, trouble tickets, other system events, documentation, and a quick view into our CMDB together in one place. Having commonly-accessed reports on things like backups stuffed into there where people won't lose them is pretty nice too. Right now the whole thing is just static Javascript, except for Graphite on the backend; eventually the dynamic parts will be a Django app.

The current dashboard displays static images rendered by Graphite, but you can click on the image to replace it with a dynamic client-side chart done through Rickshaw that then lets you select/deselect certain graphs, display tooltips showing the counter value at a specific point in time, and so forth. I'm kind of excited about how easy ExtJS makes this whole process, as inflexible as it is compared to something lean like jQuery. (We end up having a jQuery UI dependency anyway on account of Rickshaw, but for an internal app over a gigabit network, I really couldn't care less.)

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 6, 2012

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I wrote some thin film interference code for simulating soap bubbles and anti-reflective coatings. Surprisingly, it worked on the first compile. I'm 99% certain the colours are not correct, but usually when I write a new light interaction, the first few versions simply fill the screen with NaNs or sprinkle black dots all over the place.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

steckles posted:

I wrote some thin film interference code for simulating soap bubbles and anti-reflective coatings.

My co-worker just asked if that was a photo when I sent it to him.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

steckles posted:

I wrote some thin film interference code for simulating soap bubbles and anti-reflective coatings. Surprisingly, it worked on the first compile. I'm 99% certain the colours are not correct, but usually when I write a new light interaction, the first few versions simply fill the screen with NaNs or sprinkle black dots all over the place.

Jesus christ! Every time you post, the renderings look more realistic. Please tell me you do this as a career. How hard is it to pick up something like this. Obviously I won't be able to pump out something like this, but I'd love to be able to better appreciate the work that goes into it.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

akadajet posted:

My co-worker just asked if that was a photo when I sent it to him.
That's always a good test of how photorealistic a rendering actually is. It's always possible to pick an image apart and find its flaws so fooling a casual observer for a few moments is about the best a renderer/artist can hope to do.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Please tell me you do this as a career.
Nope, just a part time thing I'm afraid. I'd love to do it professionally, but there aren't many job openings for "very accurate ray tracer writer" around here.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

How hard is it to pick up something like this.
Writing a simple ray tracer isn't particularly hard and it's something that I think every programmer should do at some point. There are lots of good tutorials floating around, such as this classic and a few very good books on the subject.

Once you get past the simple stuff and start diving into physically correct light transport models, it's mostly statistics, which is less fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

steckles posted:

Nope, just a part time thing I'm afraid. I'd love to do it professionally, but there aren't many job openings for "very accurate ray tracer writer" around here.
It could probably get you a job writing games middleware or software, if you were so inclined. It would make a fantastic portfolio piece.

That said, yeah, no idea if you're in one of the hubs where you'd need to be for breaking in.