Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

digital404 posted:

I think Byul is a new character, or at least a new name for someone. Byul seems to be a standard romanization of the korean word (for star).

Couldn't Byul be Viole? If so, it would imply she knows what happened to Baam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
A considerable lack of turtles in this chapter :(

Though I'm glad Koon is onto her, though why is he still helping her?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nasgate posted:

A considerable lack of turtles in this chapter :(

Though I'm glad Koon is onto her, though why is he still helping her?

Koon always plays the long game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

lil baby anime posted:

Digging the translation from this group much more than the other two I've seen. Having to read page by page sucks, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice to be free of that crazy fucker.

I dunno Im sorta excited to see what sort of wierdoe translation note he throws down when Androssi is mentioned.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Silver2195 posted:

Couldn't Byul be Viole? If so, it would imply she knows what happened to Baam.

Doubtful, Viole's name in Korean literally means purple. Not sure why they'd translate it as Byul.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

I dunno Im sorta excited to see what sort of wierdoe translation note he throws down when Androssi is mentioned.

Seconded.

Though in all seriousness, I do prefer The Company's scanlations. They're very high quality, and the creepy comments don't show up that often.

e: Wasn't there someone (a goon I think?) who was releasing hi quality translations on imgur? Did he (or she) stop?

And glad to see Koon's smart enough to see through Rachel's lies.

I can't wait for Mangator to be re-introduced, as then we'll eventually get to see him interact with Viole. :3:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Genocyber posted:

e: Wasn't there someone (a goon I think?) who was releasing hi quality translations on imgur? Did he (or she) stop?

Those are by a guy called northerncolors on the mangafox forums, and he posts them on image shack; we rehost his stuff on imgur as the shack can't be linked on SA.

He's not very consistent with his schedule, I think if there's a speed scanlation out he might not post anything

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Genocyber posted:

I can't wait for Mangator to be re-introduced, as then we'll eventually get to see him interact with Viole. :3:

Hopefully he sets his turtle on the right track again. A bonus would also be if he cut Viole's hair.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

TheDemon posted:

Those are by a guy called northerncolors on the mangafox forums, and he posts them on image shack; we rehost his stuff on imgur as the shack can't be linked on SA.

He's not very consistent with his schedule, I think if there's a speed scanlation out he might not post anything

I believe he's actually posted up his scan as well, I just didn't bother reuploading and linking it here since we had a scan out already. He posts them in the raw discussion thread on Mangafox for anyone wanting to look.

The only noteworthy difference is that "Byul" was translated to "Star". I guess she's referring to seeing 'the stars' as though it's an actual person. There may well be a later character that acts as an anti-Baam whose name will be Byul; it would be amusing anyway.

E: Spoilertags since it is still this week's chapter. Northerncolors link.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 24, 2012

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

Koon always plays the long game.

This chapter rocked. I knew Koon wouldn't disappoint. :allears:

Definitely needs more turtles though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Creeper translation is out, in case anyone wants to read a better* translation.

*Thank god Rachel is still ugly. :thumbsup:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well, they did translate Byul as Star so maybe Rachel really is talking about stars.

Or else she thinks she's visited by extraterrestrials, who the hell knows.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Creeper translation is out, in case anyone wants to read a better* translation.

*Thank god Rachel is still ugly. :thumbsup:

Oh, so it turns out Koon WAS talking to Ship.

I like that guy.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
TOG is out, same day release.

From the new group with the lesser translations but also fewer creepnotes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yep, Koon is the best character.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Holy poo poo Koon. :aaa:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
Some great artwork in this chapter just after Ran lays the smackdown on Novick.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
...well. Koon just shot way the hell up my "favorite characters" list. He was pretty cool before, but... drat. Just... drat. That speech.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, anyone still think that Rachel literally stabbed Baam in the back in order to save him?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No, but I do think Rachel does feel bad about doing it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So, anyone still think that Rachel literally stabbed Baam in the back in order to save him?

What did this chapter show that would make you think that? I'm still convinced she did it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

That final page does not appear to show any sign of remorse. Just a lot of crazy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mindblast posted:

That final page does not appear to show any sign of remorse. Just a lot of crazy.

Which is why it's more likely Rachel did willing betray Baam.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I thought her little monologue about how she was tired of Koon showed more of her character than ever before. Rachel is not especially kind or intelligent.

I'd like to see what her life was like before becoming a regular from her perspective, as Baam's flashbacks seem to have been incredibly biased.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I love how the chapter can be pretty much nothing but Koon talking and still be amazing.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Finally someone that makes you hate them but isn't actually the complete villain. Rachael is the new Dolores Umbridge for me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Finally someone that makes you hate them but isn't actually the complete villain. Rachael is the new Dolores Umbridge for me.

It is always kinda refreshing to encounter characters that are just plain horrible, petty people without plans for world domination or dark pasts or anything.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shugojin posted:

It is always kinda refreshing to encounter characters that are just plain horrible, petty people without plans for world domination or dark pasts or anything.

My worry is that SIU might try to give Rachel a tragic backstory later. Though what with Lurker and all, that might actually turn out good anyway.

And I also like how Rachel is being shown not as smart but as...thuggish I guess? What with the single-mindedness, and the stupidity.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!
http://www.mangareader.net/tower-of-god/105

Well reading that the latest chapter it looks like Rachel is probably more aware of what Koon is doing then previously thought. If she is aware that Koon knows she has been lying then their relationship is even more twisted up. Nice face from Rachel on the last page.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Genocyber posted:

My worry is that SIU might try to give Rachel a tragic backstory later. Though what with Lurker and all, that might actually turn out good anyway.

And I also like how Rachel is being shown not as smart but as...thuggish I guess? What with the single-mindedness, and the stupidity.

She's just trying to get the hell away from Baam but he just happens to be an immortal all powerful stalker. Dude was buried in a cave and he was perfectly fine. He instantly learns everything. He's unaffected by their psychic magic air. He's got some red skeleton magic that pops out of his chest and instantly cures his injuries. Kid's a monster and she's never going to get far enough away from him.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
A few things I've gleaned about Rachel from reading translated SUI posts:

- She's his favorite character

- She's the anti-hero of the story, whereas Baam is the hero.

- Her name is derived from the German rache, for "revenge," taken from the Sherlock Holmes story "A Study in Scarlet."

Based on some of Baam's flashbacks, whatever circumstances forced her to live with Baam may have been bad enough that she actually considers killing him to be justifiable revenge. But there is certainly more to the character than we've seen.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

http://www.mangareader.net/tower-of-god/105

Well reading that the latest chapter it looks like Rachel is probably more aware of what Koon is doing then previously thought. If she is aware that Koon knows she has been lying then their relationship is even more twisted up. Nice face from Rachel on the last page.

How do you get this conclusion out of that chapter? She doesn't seem to know at all and thinks she is getting away with tricking Koon as far as I can tell.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

How do you get this conclusion out of that chapter? She doesn't seem to know at all and thinks she is getting away with tricking Koon as far as I can tell.

I'm reading it that way too. She's really petty and doesn't seem to have much foresight.

Meanwhile Koon is evidently playing the long game to get revenge. He's also petty but he has almost nothing but foresight.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

I'm reading it that way too. She's really petty and doesn't seem to have much foresight.

Meanwhile Koon is evidently playing the long game to get revenge. He's also petty but he has almost nothing but foresight.

Koon's apology to Baam is a nice touch; he knows the Baam he knew wouldn't approve of his pursuit for vengeance but he's going to do it anyway. Man I can't wait for Koon and Viole to meet up.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hodgepodge posted:

Some great artwork in this chapter just after Ran lays the smackdown on Novick.

Novik having to wear the tiny little number 2 shirt made me smile.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Mo_Steel posted:

Because she's either randomly laughing for no reason or she's watching Koon on her own light box and laughing in response to his proclamation. I mean we still don't know how effective she is as a light bearer. That said I can buy her just laughing for no reason. She could just be a very happy person.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't buy that Rachel could possibly be more skilled than Koon, much less to a degree where he couldn't even notice this fact.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

Because she's either randomly laughing for no reason or she's watching Koon on her own light box and laughing in response to his proclamation. I mean we still don't know how effective she is as a light bearer. That said I can buy her just laughing for no reason. She could just be a very happy person.

Pretty sure that she was just laughing insanely, cause the whole situation's getting to her. That's what the art suggests, at any rate.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

I don't buy that Rachel could possibly be more skilled than Koon, much less to a degree where he couldn't even notice this fact.

Unless she's actually the irregular, and not Baam. When she arrived on Haedon's floor he told her that she wasn't the one he was waiting for, and Androssi had a strange feeling about her and decided to avoid fighting her on F2. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hietala posted:

Unless she's actually the irregular, and not Baam. When she arrived on Haedon's floor he told her that she wasn't the one he was waiting for, and Androssi had a strange feeling about her and decided to avoid fighting her on F2. :tinfoil:

I thought this was confirmed.