Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
It seems Dinnerbone is having lots of fun.

AND LITTLE BABBY ZOMBERTS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

E: nevermind

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 1, 2012

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Hosting a server is super easy guys, you really shouldn't fret about LAN play.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Played 1.3 for about a half hour and already got myself 19 diamonds. That really had nothing to do with 1.3 and everything to do with my Fortune III pickaxe and digging out a cluster of 7 diamonds from bedrock. And another 4 right after that. I might finally spring for some diamond armor and tools if this keeps up.

It's weird that you don't get experience from iron and gold though. You only get experience from mining out blocks that "give" a different item than what their current form is, but you'd think iron and gold would be worth something, even if you DO get experience for smelting them.

I also really wish they'd have fixed mob activity on the surface while you're underground. Enemies don't spawn or they disappear when you're so many blocks away horizontally, why can't they also apply that vertically? I hate being at bedrock level, and then coming up to find that endermen were busy loving up my landscape. :mad:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

It's weird that you don't get experience from iron and gold though. You only get experience from mining out blocks that "give" a different item than what their current form is, but you'd think iron and gold would be worth something, even if you DO get experience for smelting them.

It's because you can place them and mine them again and it might be abusable for XP, I suppose? And tracking placed vs natural blocks is apparently irritating.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been fooling around with this game after being pretty disgusted with it months ago, and it's definitely gotten better. The world I'm in right now has a weird shortage of cows, so it's been impossible for me to make an enchanting altar with the new recipe requiring leather (which is actually pretty cool - it adds a new dimension to a game that tends to get boring after a certain point).

I actually lucked out on the seed and got every new feature within a map's radius of my spawn point if someone wants to try it out,

Basically the new features make everything feel less pointless and brings back the way I felt about the game around release, which is a fun little zen garden to spend an hour or so in a day.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It's because you can place them and mine them again and it might be abusable for XP, I suppose? And tracking placed vs natural blocks is apparently irritating.

Then you should get XP for smelting them.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Heyyy, awesome. Minecraft just randomly shuts down now! Walking along and all of a sudden the program had closed itself. No saving, no exiting to menus, it was just gone.

Looks like I'll be rolling back to 1.2. Making it run a server is the worst thing. Those have never worked for me - they've certainly never been stable - and now it acts like one's running all the time. So the game is unplayable. Thanks, jeb!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

sector_corrector posted:

I've been fooling around with this game after being pretty disgusted with it months ago, and it's definitely gotten better. The world I'm in right now has a weird shortage of cows, so it's been impossible for me to make an enchanting altar with the new recipe requiring leather (which is actually pretty cool - it adds a new dimension to a game that tends to get boring after a certain point).

I actually lucked out on the seed and got every new feature within a map's radius of my spawn point if someone wants to try it out,

Basically the new features make everything feel less pointless and brings back the way I felt about the game around release, which is a fun little zen garden to spend an hour or so in a day.

Yeah I was watching some of the old Yogscast videos from way back when they first started doing Minecraft videos, and it was depressing to remember how shallow the game was. No food, no experience, no enchanting, boring caves, boring biomes, etc. Minecraft's always been what you make out of the experience, but at least now it takes a lot longer to "see it all".

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

ToastyPotato posted:

Doesn't seem to do anything for me. :saddowns:

Edit: I guess I have to start a LAN with cheats on. :v:

I don't know about LAN mode, but you do have to enable cheats at world creation.

pseudorandom name posted:

Then you should get XP for smelting them.

You do:
Taking smelted items out of furnaces gives experience now.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Disappointing Pie posted:

It seems Dinnerbone is having lots of fun.

I would love to be able to give Skeleton's a weapon besides a bow, or give a Zombie a shovel or sword to swing around.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Boat posted:

I don't know about LAN mode, but you do have to enable cheats at world creation.

You do:
Taking smelted items out of furnaces gives experience now.

no you dont. You can enable lan mode, and enable cheats at that time.

I've started a world as survival.. checked the box to enable lan, and enabled cheats. Then switched my world to creative, gave myself a villager spawn egg, then flipped back to survival.

This was last night using the 1.3 pre-release (NOT the 1.3.1)

^^^^^ I had a skeleton drop an iron helm too

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Roundboy posted:

no you dont. You can enable lan mode, and enable cheats at that time.

I've started a world as survival.. checked the box to enable lan, and enabled cheats. Then switched my world to creative, gave myself a villager spawn egg, then flipped back to survival.

This was last night using the 1.3 pre-release (NOT the 1.3.1)

Well that's good to know, thanks!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

ChibiSoma posted:

Heyyy, awesome. Minecraft just randomly shuts down now! Walking along and all of a sudden the program had closed itself. No saving, no exiting to menus, it was just gone.

Looks like I'll be rolling back to 1.2. Making it run a server is the worst thing. Those have never worked for me - they've certainly never been stable - and now it acts like one's running all the time. So the game is unplayable. Thanks, jeb!

Update your Java and make sure it has the same tyoe (32 or 64 bits) as your OS.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm almost done flattening the landscape in my little manor that I have walled off from the outside world. It's all looking a bit barren though.

I'm thinking about making some little patterned pathways leading to the various points of interest and maybe making a little garden/fountain area. Does anyone have any inspiration for some nice patterns I can make to jazz the place up a bit?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
how wide are you thinking for a pathway?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I gotta lot of room buddy. Probably 3 or 5 blocks wide.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I like making roads with half blocks in the middle and stairs on the side. If you want it to be 3 or 5 wide, you can either put 1 or 3 half blocks in the middle part. With all of the different flavors of stairs and half blocks available now, you could probably make some pretty nice patterns as well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Boat posted:

blackflare posted:

You're typing /help in the server console window and not inside minecraft, right?

It was a 1.2 world, so I couldn't enable cheats before. I was hitting the "/" key and typing commands there. It only works if I enable LAN in game, but once I do that, I can switch game modes and stuff like that just fine.

So I rolled the dice on some pick enchants. My diamond pick came up with Unbreaking 3 and efficiency 4! But my Iron pick got Fortune 3 on it. :saddowns: At least it also has Unbreaking...

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 1, 2012

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Spoggerific posted:

I like making roads with half blocks in the middle and stairs on the side. If you want it to be 3 or 5 wide, you can either put 1 or 3 half blocks in the middle part. With all of the different flavors of stairs and half blocks available now, you could probably make some pretty nice patterns as well.

This is a wicked idea. I'm gonna experiment with this and see what's good.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

So an easy way to get one additional player onto your 1.3 single player LAN server is to have one player start minecraft in offline mode. Then when you connect to the LAN game, one of you will be named "Player" with the actual account name. You can't get more than one player since it'll boot anyone that tries to log in with that name.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a way to make desert adjacent grass not have that sickly yellow color?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

ToastyPotato posted:

So I rolled the dice on some pick enchants. My diamond pick came up with Unbreaking 3 and efficiency 4! But my Iron pick got Fortune 3 on it. :saddowns: At least it also has Unbreaking...
Why on earth is that a bad thing? That's awesome! Just be stingy with it and only ever use it on diamonds, Redstone, Lapiz, and maybe coal or glowstone if you need it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Large Biomes in conjunction with spawning in the middle of an ocean is fantastic! :haw:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

BitBasher posted:

Why on earth is that a bad thing? That's awesome! Just be stingy with it and only ever use it on diamonds, Redstone, Lapiz, and maybe coal or glowstone if you need it.

I meant it in a way that I was really, really hoping my diamond pick had Fortune 3 on it. Basically the enchants were reversed as to what I would have preferred.

In recent news, I was almost vaporized by a massive TNT trap in my first desert temple. Four chests blew up. If I hadn't accidentally bore a massive hole through the wall with my super efficient pick, I would have surely died.

ixcthu
Oct 16, 2003

I may not be much, but I'm all I think about.
If you load a world from 1.2.5 using 1.3.1, do the new features (emerald spawn, jungle ruins, etc) get added into your existing world, or do you have to start a whole new world to get those features?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ixcthu posted:

If you load a world from 1.2.5 using 1.3.1, do the new features (emerald spawn, jungle ruins, etc) get added into your existing world, or do you have to start a whole new world to get those features?

Yes, but you have to go out to a place you haven't been to yet and generate new terrain. They won't show up anywhere you've already been, because that's already made and saved. So it may be a bit of a hike if you've already explored a lot.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

ixcthu posted:

From what I remember reading somewhere, you have to start a new world or go into new areas. Good news though is that 1.3.1 is using the same map gen as 1.2.5. As in I created a new world using my 1.2.5 map in 1.3.1 and it was the same map. Other then probably the 1.3.1 world was now spawning all the new added items. I guess I can live with that as I can go into new areas for the new stuff and not have to restart again since I put in a good deal of work in the 1.2.5 map.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

Delivery McGee posted:

Yes, but you have to go out to a place you haven't been to yet and generate new terrain. They won't show up anywhere you've already been, because that's already made and saved. So it may be a bit of a hike if you've already explored a lot.

Yeah, this is pretty much the problem with Minecraft. New patch means new world or exploring further out. I know there's no real way to retroactively add stuff. At least this time the map gen is the same and I won't have to start a new map due to ugly transitions when going into new areas.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was swapping out the ugly cobble in my village for sandstone and noticed there was a lot of wasted space in the library so I did a little redesign:

I love that the villagers went right up to the loft as soon as I put the stairs in. :3:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Delivery McGee posted:

Or you can open the map in an editor and reset some of the chunks that you have explored but have not built anything of importance on. Then as you go to those chunks they are regenerated with any of the possible changes added.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Can anyone recommend some good redstone tutorials? Preferably some that actually walk you through building some stuff as I learn best that way. I actually prefer text+pictures but YouTube stuff is fine too.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Shabadu posted:

Since I downloaded the pre-release last week, I've been working on making a Castle and a town that would fit with the naturally spawned village nearby. Having a wooden palisade was the initial idea that I started with, since you can have rotated logs now.

FidgetyRat posted:

This always seems to happen to me. Start a huge project for a few weeks, work on leveling out the terrain, building walls, redstone gates, moats, rail stations. Then completely freeze up when I think of what kind of structure to build inside it. Ugh.

Wooooah how are you guys getting these shots? What have I missed, what do I need to do that?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
For anyone looking for a cool seed for 1.3, try -4685530315315545534. It spawns you on a large mountainous pair of islands in the middle of the ocean. only 2 trees, but plenty of animals and in interesting cave system to the north.

On top of south island, looking north

and south

Map of the islands

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

FidgetyRat posted:

This always seems to happen to me. Start a huge project for a few weeks, work on leveling out the terrain, building walls, redstone gates, moats, rail stations. Then completely freeze up when I think of what kind of structure to build inside it. Ugh.

I too had this problem. So I looked up a bunch of ideas and made a list. Some of them overlap in different ideas and/or can be combined into one. It's mainly a medieval type list and a "work with what's in the game list". People have listed stuff like airports, garages, car shops and what not. The only thing that I might bother with is building some big ships until some mods add stuff like hot air balloons or something to that effect. Anyway, here's my list of ideas:

quote:

Farms (Wheat, Watermelon, Animals)
    Mill/Granary
    Slaughterhouse
    Bakery
    Mine House/Cave/Site/Shaft/Pit/Quarry
    Blacksmith
    Sawmill/Lumber Mill
    Lumber Yard
    Carpenter
    Factory
    Warehouse
    Market
    Shops/Stores (Mushroom, Bread, Meat, Tailor, Fish, General, Cake, Wool,etc)
    Inn/Tavern/Pub/Restaurants
    Motel/Hotel
    Tower (Prisoner, Clock, watch/Lookout, Magician's)
    Guild Quarters
    Castle
    Barracks/Guard house
    Training Grounds
    Archery Range
    Armoury
    Jousting Arena
    Windmill
    Church/Chapel
    Port/Dock/Boat House/Port crane
    Ships
    Fishing House/Store
    Library
    Hospital
    Art Gallery
    Townhall/Courthouse
    Prison
    Bank
    Pool/Bath House
    Graveyard
    Sports Center/Field
    Construction Site/Zone
    Houses/Apartments/Mansions
    Walkways
    Museum
    Observatory
    Sewers
    Park
    Water Treatment Plant
    Well
    Memorial/Monument/Statues
    Fountain
    Flag Pole
    Railways/Subway/Monorail
    Horse Stables/Dog Stables
    College/School

If anyone else has more ideas, feel free to add, I'm always on the lookout to add more items to said list.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just crossed a 4,000 block wide ocean in an extra large biomes world. :stare:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 2, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So that's one third of a triathlon. Good start.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Does returning to the overworld make your pets teleport to you now, or has that "feature" always been there? That's going to be annoying.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Does returning to the overworld make your pets teleport to you now, or has that "feature" always been there? That's going to be annoying.

It's a bug that's been around for quite a while. Sitting pets will just randomly become active and teleport to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Ah, thanks. I guess having cats as sentries won't work out now.