Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Brainamp posted:

But there is still not enough exp in the game for every aug. You can get a good majority of the upgrades, but not all.

Wrong.

But your really shouldn't try to do this.

As for my own recommendation: You should absolutely get Hacking: Capture to 5 before you bother with Stealth or Fortify. Every level of Capture already decreases the detection chance by 10%, while also making hacks faster, and you can hack high level locks for extra XP sooner.

Analyze is completely useless, but picking between Stealth or Fortify is merely a matter of taste. Getting both is overkill. In my first runthrough, I bought one level of Stealth, and never felt the need to upgrade it further. Use your worms and nukes, and put the Praxis into something else first.

I also think an extra battery is a good idea eventually, if only so the medium candy bar boxes don't get wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Okay, so I'm wrong, but if you are playing like this then something is wrong with you.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

tadashi posted:

I have a storyline question that I hope somebody will just fill me in on becuase I don't want to restart my game.

I talked Zeke down in the Sarif factory stand-off. Then I forgot to meet up with him back in Detroit before I left for the FEMA facility. When I got to Sandoval's "apartment" Zeke was waiting with the bait and hit me with an EMP. (I think my crowning achievement in single player games was hitting him with the stun gun even through all the poo poo EMPs do to you....) If I were to do his little side-mission back in Detroit at the beginning of the game, would he be more hospitable to me in Sandoval's downtown apartment?

I was a little disappointed that maintaining good relations with Zeke didn't have any payoff there. Given the situation you probably would've needed another dialogue battle though, and not only had you already had one with him, but there was one with Sandoval coming right up anyway. A diplomatic solution would've been nice, but as a gesture of continued goodwill I chose to simply punch Zeke in the face and be on my way. :)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cyne posted:

I was a little disappointed that maintaining good relations with Zeke didn't have any payoff there.

The character arc is disappointing, but as mentioned there is a Praxis kit that can only be obtained through that path, so it's not completely pointless.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
This is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kp-vQ92L-0

David Sarif's voice actor self-destructs, blaming Illuminati

Neowin.net posted:

Shellen believes the Illuminati are coming for him, and his time is limited before he dies for real. He uploaded a YouTube video showing the extent of his concern. According to him, the Illuminati are spying on him at present, and he is due to die on July 30th 2012. In other words, today. It’s hard to tell whether he is actually in character as David Sarif, and the whole thing is a big advertising ploy, or if he genuinely believes he’s going to be bumped off by a secret society.

In the past, he has mentioned the Illuminati during interviews and the like. He’s even complained that they orchestrated his fall from grace and his wife’s divorce. He sounds insane in this sense, but at the moment it’s possible it is acting, and Eidos are planning an additional Deus Ex title. According to some people, another piece of downloadable content was planned for Human Revolution, but information on this DLC was pulled again. Perhaps the company decided to work on another game, or they’re genuinely concerned for the mental health of Shellen.

All the same, Shellen’s apparent madness is concerning, if nothing else. He’s blaming something you’d never expect for spying on him. Fruit flies. Yes, really. Flies are working with the Illuminati. Makes sense, doesn’t it?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Holy crap!

But I've been meaning to ask you, Tecman, do you know how well HR sold? Because I'd love a new DE game from these guys (a little dream is the original remade in the HR engine), but it would depend on whether Square Enix thought it was profitable enough.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I wonder how many people saw that and said "Oh dear, the poor chap's gone bonkers :ohdear:"

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Fruit flies? Maybe he's just been reading Rainbows End.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

KillHour posted:

There's an air duct? :aaaaa:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - There's always an air duct

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Iacen posted:

But I've been meaning to ask you, Tecman, do you know how well HR sold? Because I'd love a new DE game from these guys (a little dream is the original remade in the HR engine), but it would depend on whether Square Enix thought it was profitable enough.
The number I can recall hovered between 2 and 3 million units *shipped* for all platforms, don't think I've seen any hard data on units sold tho. Not entirely sure about those numbers or how old they are, honestly. Just something I remember seeing at a certain point.

edit: Deus Ex: Revolution Sells 2.18 Million - Date: November 4, 2011

"Square Enix has made public their bi-annual fiscal report, and sales figures for some of their biggest titles have been revealed. The rather stunning Deus Ex: Human Revolution has posted some great numbers, totaling 2.18 million sales across all platforms. Dungeon Siege 3 also managed to peak at 820,000 units sold. The fiscal report broke down sales by market, and interestingly enough Deus Ex was able to sell 1.38 million in the EU, while only pushing 800K in the US. Dungeon Siege 3 was also most popular in Europe, selling 480K, with the US trailing at 320K and Japan rounding it out at 20K units.

While not sold in the US or the EU, the Japanese-only Dragon Quest 25th Anniversary Collection was able to sway fans of the series, hiking up an impressive 350K units sold. As for financial prospects, for the six months ended in September, Square had something of a good period, recording profits of ¥3.704 billion ($47.39 million), but decreased revenues of ¥57.516 billion ($735.26 million)."

Well then!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I wonder how many people saw that and said "Oh dear, the poor chap's gone bonkers :ohdear:"
Not the ones who know him, apparently - link.

From some comments surrounding this, he's been a bit of a Truther for a while now.

edit:

Karpaw posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - There's always an air duct
mods please change thread title to this, tia

Tecman fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 1, 2012

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - So people will be left behind, there's air ducts.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

The fact that the video's been edited a little bit (like the cut where he puts on his glasses) says to me:

1. It's all fake (unlikely)
2. He wants everyone to know about the flies and wants the highest possible production values.

Also, the top YouTube comment is priceless:

quote:

"Boss? They were fruit flies. Hardly a priority target."
"So you caught 'em a break?! Those fruit flies infiltrated my facility, Adam! I thought you were ready for this."

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Amazing.

That guy could not look closer to what I pictured him looking like from hearing his voice in the video game. Like, even down to the haircut and preferred clothing type.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, I want it to be fake because that means more Deus Ex is on the way, but I also want it to be real because it's hilarious. I wonder what it was like for him when they did the lines for late in the game.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
This has got to be some viral marketing for more Deus Ex.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
I dunno, I have seen people in person who believe this type of poo poo is honest-to-god real. :tinfoil:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Iacen posted:

There was this news floating around just after DXHR came out and was looking popular:

quote:

Japanese publisher Square Enix wants to position its Canadian studio Eidos Montreal at the very centre of its game development operations, a new report claims.
Its subsidiary Eidos Montreal could grow from about 350 staff to nearly 700 if a deal with state officials is agreed, according to local business publication La Presse Affaires.
But it is believed that Square Enix wants a CA$2 million (£1.2m) grant from local government to facilitate the rapid increase in staff. That deal is not thought to have been finalised.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

RichieWolk posted:

I dunno, I have seen people in person who believe this type of poo poo is honest-to-god real. :tinfoil:

Many of the people believing in the more extreme conspiracy theories (they have spy drones in my dust!) are suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. I'm no expert, but I have seen this sort of thing with members of my family and he's showing some fairly classic symptoms. If he's acting, he's doing a fairly decent job or the script that was written for him had some effort put into it. The chances of this being real are not zero.

That said, my bet is that this is a viral-marketing effort.

quote:

Its subsidiary Eidos Montreal could grow from about 350 staff to nearly 700 if a deal with state officials is agreed, according to local business publication La Presse Affaires.

But it is believed that Square Enix wants a CA$2 million (£1.2m) grant from local government to facilitate the rapid increase in staff. That deal is not thought to have been finalised.
Yay! Go corporate welfare. Make me more good games.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 1, 2012

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Iacen posted:

Holy crap!

The thing is that DXHR is already practically a remake of the original. I mean, yeah its technically a prequel and chronologically takes place before the events of Deus Ex, but story, characters, and locations are all very similar. Stuffy nerd, treacherous Chinese lady, pilot sidekick, shady boss, surprise AI, and people's army terrorist are all present and accounted for as you travel through decaying urban America, lawless Asian corporatocracy, and secret government facility to prevent the world falling into the hands of a massively centralized, unfeeling and unaccountable authority figure.

DXHR kind of goes through and ticks all the boxes for "proper Deus Ex sequel" so they could get all that stuff out of the way and get on with telling a new story altogether. Another Deus Ex game is practically inevitable but I think a remake is out of the question for a while at least.

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A reboot is probably what is going to happen. HR sold well so they will want a sequel but how do you squeeze in another story in the same universe? Both DX and IW had multiple endings, and yeah IW did the whole Collapse thing but there is simply no way to integrate all IW endings. They could make a game set during the Collapse but in IW it's described as a cataclysmic event and borderline postapocalyptic. The tone of that game would be very different from the decaying urban city with a cyberpunk aesthetic.

Which is why I'm certain the next game will be a reboot of some kind, or just ignore IW ever happened which is more or less the same thing.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really enjoying the game, but after playing for a while certain reflective textures will begin to glitch and have a weird rainbow moire pattern. Is this my GFX card overheating?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

xomocekc posted:

A reboot is probably what is going to happen. HR sold well so they will want a sequel but how do you squeeze in another story in the same universe? Both DX and IW had multiple endings, and yeah IW did the whole Collapse thing but there is simply no way to integrate all IW endings. They could make a game set during the Collapse but in IW it's described as a cataclysmic event and borderline postapocalyptic. The tone of that game would be very different from the decaying urban city with a cyberpunk aesthetic.

Which is why I'm certain the next game will be a reboot of some kind, or just ignore IW ever happened which is more or less the same thing.

Why not redo Invisible War? I'm serious, it had some potential (I thought its writing, when it got into philosophy, was pretty high-quality), nobody really likes it enough that they'd get annoyed by a remake, and its mechanics are extremely suitable for the ones they used in Human Revolution.

Just make sure they keep some of the fun-but-weird augs like biotox drones and bot domination, high-tech everything a bit, and add some meat to the story and it'd be... well, not good to go, but certainly I wouldn't mind it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

xomocekc posted:

There's a ton of potential games they could make. The HR-DE gap, one where you play as Anna or Gunther, or Paul, one that takes place in the rest of the world, say.

Bet
Mar 10, 2003

illegitimate bastard child

Anatharon posted:

There's a ton of potential games they could make. The HR-DE gap, one where you play as Anna or Gunther, or Paul, one that takes place in the rest of the world, say.
Seriously, a two decade gap is what they left. Leading up to Gunther or Anna would be just the start. They were veterans when DX1 started, let alone what they went through way before.

He didn't ask for a skull gun before going through a hundred scenarios where a skull gun would have been useful, knowing him. He set off with a knife if that's all you had to give. Give the guy credit!

Lots of timeline to work with. Many sequels worth of story there.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

A Gunther game could work!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You've even got the perfect tagline ready to go: "He wanted orange. The world gave him lemon-lime."

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

What sort of themes would people want them to cover in a sequel? The developers of Human Revolution seemed to be pretty clued into the idea that your game can have themes expressed through the story and through the game world itself, but I was wondering what sort of area they would move onto next.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I reckon it would be cool to test the waters of all augmentation types and make a game where the player is one of these guys - http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Men_in_Black

Now apparently the biggest benefit of the MiBs are their unwavering loyalty. Because of this MiBs would be given very important and nefarious tasks such as assassinations, false flag terror attacks against citizens and that sort of thing. The player character could start off having tasks assigned to them like that but after a while their loyalty feature is compromised in some way and then the Deus Ex could begin.

What would be even cooler is if they could set it around JC's time in the original Deus Ex. Maybe make the player character Aston Greer (who I assume was an MiB I might be wrong) who starts off completely loyal, but then is turned when morality starts to get a hold of him. Perhaps have missions that help JC which could explain some of the miraculous help he got during his time in Deus Ex.

But meh, I have complete confidence in these guys now to produce excellent Deus Ex content. Looking forward to playing their Thief game and then the next Deus Ex game after that.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

fuckpot posted:

I reckon it would be cool to test the waters of all augmentation types and make a game where the player is one of these guys - http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Men_in_Black
If they do that they could even add a gameplay mode where your goal is to cause as much damage as possible with your on-death explosion.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has there ever been a mod for the original Deus Ex that makes the weapons more fun to use? Hell, the game was made in the Unreal Engine, so we know the guns at least have the potential to be fun and cool and satisfying to fire.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

GreatGreen posted:

Has there ever been a mod for the original Deus Ex that makes the weapons more fun to use? Hell, the game was made in the Unreal Engine, so we know the guns at least have the potential to be fun and cool and satisfying to fire.

This is the real reason everyone just sticks with the pistol or the sniper rifle for their firearms. There's so little feedback despite the little fluff descriptions in the inventory making the guns sound so badass in theory.

Has anyone tried something basic like just replacing shotgun with the Unreal 1 flak cannon or something?

I'd love to play as an MiB in the Deus Ex setting. The Syndicate 2012 single player but not an embarrassment of game design, writing, railroading, audio and visual design would be really fun.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Anatharon posted:

I'd love a sequel where you played as the NSF during the collapse, but I can only assume it would be a generic FPS and you'd end up getting completely obliterated by UNATCO.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I hear tell of a secret way that you can save EVERYONE from the nerve gas in the DLC. Any chance someone wants to clue me in? I'm a pacifist and I would feel horrible if everyone died because of me.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Stump Truck posted:

you'd end up getting completely obliterated by UNATCO.

I feel we need more games where the end is inevitable doom/collapse/destruction/oblivion/etc.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

I'm really enjoying the game, but after playing for a while certain reflective textures will begin to glitch and have a weird rainbow moire pattern. Is this my GFX card overheating?

I have this same problem. I just reboot the game and it goes away. It's probably just a bug or something.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'd also love a remake of the original DE, which could include things that Warren Spector and Co had wanted to add, but lacked for time; Like showing off Page's social incompetence, or giving Paul more screen time with JC.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dice Dice Baby posted:

I feel we need more games where the end is inevitable doom/collapse/destruction/oblivion/etc.
Especially as sequel hooks. Everything goes to poo poo and all you can do before UNATCO falls like a ton of bricks on you is to get a few key people out (or get to Paul, or something). You're hosed, but you did good for your organization. As long as the password for your network is smashthestate, I don't care what they do. :v:

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Novum posted:

I hear tell of a secret way that you can save EVERYONE from the nerve gas in the DLC. Any chance someone wants to clue me in? I'm a pacifist and I would feel horrible if everyone died because of me.

I found it quite by accident exploring around, I think the wall punching aug was a great help in locating it.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Novum posted:

If I remember right, on the ground floor of the prison area and along the wall to the left of the exit there should be a vent covered by a box or something. Go through and you'll find pretty much the same gas setup from the first mission in the regular game. Shoot the tanks of green stuff and you win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If you want that one achievement for some reason, you can also chuck fire extinguishers at it.

• Locked thread