Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
You are aware I was agreeing with you at that point?

e: onwards new page!

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

About when in the first episode is that time traveler guy? I just rewatched the whole thing, but I can't find him.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Ariong posted:

About when in the first episode is that time traveler guy? I just rewatched the whole thing, but I can't find him.

He doesn't seem to appear in the latest episodes.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr.Drf posted:

Can anyone tell me when this site became forums.somethingequality.hugbox?

I feel like using this kind of line to derail any debate about equality or whatever should be bannable at this point

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Travis343 posted:

I feel like using this kind of line to derail any debate about equality or whatever should be bannable at this point

I agree. And for equality, all sexism derails be the same.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Winklebottom posted:

He doesn't seem to appear in the latest episodes.

Along with the credits sequence, he appears about 17:00 minutes into episode 1, 3:40 into episode 2, and both 4:55 and 8:07 into episode 3, the second time as a photo.

What does it all add up to?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stormageddon posted:

I agree. And for equality, all sexism derails be the same.

The problem is they often aren't derails.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ariong posted:

Along with the credits sequence, he appears about 17:00 minutes into episode 1, 3:40 into episode 2, and both 4:55 and 8:07 into episode 3, the second time as a photo.

What does it all add up to?

Well it looks like he's going to be in an episode in a more prominent role later this season. It's going to be specifically about time travel. And a pig.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Well it looks like he's going to be in an episode in a more prominent role later this season. It's going to be specifically about time travel. And a pig.

My god.

The answer has been staring us in the face this whole time. We were just to dumb to see it.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

IRQ posted:

The problem is they often aren't derails.

When someone is interpreting Gruncle Stan saying that Dipper doing what he likes despite what the crowd thinks is manly as saying it's a male thing to do, yeah, it's kinda reaching, and the sexism stuff makes for some really toxic threads AND THIS SHOW DESERVES BETTER!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stormageddon posted:

When someone is interpreting Gruncle Stan saying that Dipper doing what he likes despite what the crowd thinks is manly as saying it's a male thing to do, yeah, it's kinda reaching, and the sexism stuff makes for some really toxic threads AND THIS SHOW DESERVES BETTER!

Well in here yeah. But it's a valid topic of

is there an avatar sized gif of Mabel with the pig?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ariong posted:

My god.

The answer has been staring us in the face this whole time. We were just to dumb to see it.

So what you're trying to say, is that he's some sort of Pig-Man...perhaps from a whole race of Pig-Men who are all descendant from that single pig?

Perhaps from some sort of horrible, dystopian Pig-Man future where he, and indeed all Pig-Men, have risen up against their human oppressors. He came back in time to meet the one human who showed compassion to the Pig-Men's ancestor in an effort to prove to the future Pig-Men that the human race should not be destroyed, thus violating the Great Pig-Men Council's decree?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My expectation is that the time traveler is looking for his pig, but it finds Mabel and she loves it, and he lets her keep it and returns to his own time.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Mr.Drf posted:

Confirmation bias is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs, such as gender in society. If a person, or set of people have personal issues with gender, then they will find issues to squawk about. Because they examine things from the mind set of things being guilty until proven innocent of the crime of sexism. I'm just saying that at some point the examination of gender roles in children's cartoons becomes a witch hunt.

Also, and I hate to say this, but this is a Disney show. At what point in their long history of helpless princesses, and witchy old women were you expecting an episode about "masculinity" to go any different than it did? Hell I think as far as Disney stuff goes this might of been the most progressive set of gender norms I've ever seen put forth.

Can anyone tell me when this site became forums.somethingequality.hugbox?

Both of the kids seem to have been given episodes that show them able to stand up for themselves and what they believe in under pressure. Why isn't that enough?

I try my best to rationalize sexist stuff when it comes up in a show I like, but I'm not going to kid myself.

The derails happen when people refuse to accept that there could possibly be any non-progressive messages in a show they love. I still love Gravity Falls, but I did not like the message in episode 6. Why is it so hard for you to accept that complaint that you had to type up a "Knock it off with your feminism!" essay?

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
I'm surprised no one's posted this adorable fanart by Emmy C yet.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wildeyes posted:

I try my best to rationalize sexist stuff when it comes up in a show I like, but I'm not going to kid myself.

The derails happen when people refuse to accept that there could possibly be any non-progressive messages in a show they love. I still love Gravity Falls, but I did not like the message in episode 6. Why is it so hard for you to accept that complaint that you had to type up a "Knock it off with your feminism!" essay?

Derails get even worse when you accuse people of being anti-feminist just because they think you're reading too much into something.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DivisionPost posted:

Derails get even worse when you accuse people of being anti-feminist just because they think you're reading too much into something.

Derails get the worst when they just become meta one-upmanship.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DuckPuncher posted:

I'm surprised no one's posted this adorable fanart by Emmy C yet.

I was wondering if there were ever going to be some astrological reason for Dipper to be named Dipper, since it's not exactly a standard first name (contrarily to Stan, Mabel, or Wendy; and "Soos" is a diminutive of Jesus).

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I think it's just a incredibly fitting name.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

And it's that thing that makes those threads turn to poo poo.

I have to say, this show is one of the first that I actually actively looked for fanart for. There is a certain adorable nature to the show that really lends itself well to some really cute art.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Dipper wanted to be a man, he got into some scrapes along the way, rejected the path to manhood 'society' set out for him, and was ultimately validated by his lovely father figure.

I don't really see anything too concerning there. I feel like you'd have to start unpacking tons of poo poo on gender determinism to root out what people might dislike about it. Suffice it to say, it's not unusual for boys to want to be 'men', no one was forcing Dipper into it, he ended up finding his own way, and what's more I find it so easy to imagine the story playing out the exact same way if it was Mabel who decided she wanted to be manly and tough. It's really about what you want, isn't it?

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
The end message of what defines a 'man' was basically somebody who makes their own decisions even when other people think differently. Don't see what you lot are arguing about.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tarranon posted:

I find it so easy to imagine the story playing out the exact same way if it was Mabel who decided she wanted to be manly and tough.
Requesting fanart of tough, manly Mabel. :v:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I'm pretty sure this is missing a few heads. Or maybe too many? How many heads does the multibear have?

Do you spell it with a hyphen?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Does anyone happen to know if next's Friday's episode is available early, like all the other ones were before it?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Doesn't look like it.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
I won't make any further derails about it because it seems like this show is great enough to move past silly things like this. This sort of argument pops up so much on SA now and it is always the death of the discussion because whomever is yelling at whomever digs a trench and just lobs flaming balls of bad posting at everyone else. I'm fully aware that I am the one digging this time and starting the crap flinging fest.

Travis343 posted:

All I meant was that we don't always, or EVER need to be having a debate about equality. This isn't a liberal themed Facebook group, or a internet activist collective. There is a point where outside of Debate & Discussion the constant "check your privilege" and "We are the world! we should all live and love together!", or "this show/game/book/commercial is cool and all, BUT WHAT IS IT TEACHING OUR CHILDRENS ABOUT GENDER STEREOTYPES AND SOCIETY".

I think it's a no win discussion.Why? because you can't make a character from a oppressed group without inviting endless amounts of hate. Make the character perfect? your representation of the group is unrealistic and wrong, and produces unrealistic expectation about whatever group. Try to portray any group with a realistic amount of flaws and problems? Well any flaw you put in to that character is a comment you're making on that group as a whole, so welcome to the frickin child killing, baby raping, woman beating patriarchy.

It has become impossible to discuss any facet of a character's gender without it being sexist. We've stopped allowing individual characters to have any sort of individuality. Since Grunkel Stan said something about what it means to be a man he is obviously an artistic comment on the nature of gender itself.

It was cute when it was limited to just a few threads specially reserved for specific issues. Like the "minorities in gaming" thread or the feminism thread in D&D. Now this poo poo is becoming forum cancer. This forum is supposed to be about humor and fun. It is not the place we need to be having a constant campaign for social justice.

I'm done though. If anyone really really hates anything I've said I'd be happy to reply to anything anyone has to say in a PM. As long as anyone who wants to talk remains civil I'm more than happy to talk.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm really happy you came back for a really weird 'it's political correctness gone maaaaaad' thing when the topic was over.

Anyway, next Friday's episode looks awesome, but I think we all really need closure on this whole 'wax Larry King's head is loose in the vents' thing, there's no way that's a good thing for anyone.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr.Drf posted:

I won't make any further derails about it because it seems like this show is great enough to move past silly things like this.

They really need to make the whole "Guys let's stop the derail, but first let me get the last word in" thing probatable.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr.Drf posted:

All I meant was that we don't always, or EVER need to be having a debate about equality. This isn't a liberal themed Facebook group, or a internet activist collective. There is a point where outside of Debate & Discussion the constant "check your privilege" and "We are the world! we should all live and love together!", or "this show/game/book/commercial is cool and all, BUT WHAT IS IT TEACHING OUR CHILDRENS ABOUT GENDER STEREOTYPES AND SOCIETY".

Yeah I'll agree that it isn't necessary to always need to have that debate, but "ever"? seriously? Sometimes it is a completely reasonable topic of conversation. You do realize its possible to give a poo poo about not being completely offensive while NOT being the PC-gone-mad, Tumblr social justice strawman you seem to be terrified of, right? We're talking about an episode that is specifically about a character struggling against the expectations society places on specific genders, in this case, boys and men, so why is it off the table to have a conversation about that just because of the URL of the forums?

And in any case if people are having a conversation in a thread you don't want to read, maybe just don't read it? You're not legally obligated to post in every conversation. If its really ruining the thread vote 1 and tell a mod. Otherwise just let it die which is exactly what had happened before you came back and resurrected it.

Sonictic
Sep 11, 2003

marquise bossyfangs mcsekret
Ok guys lets stop fighting and look at this silly gif I made from those character design sketches a few pages back.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Random Tumblr fanart:

Looks like this piece's author imagined Teen Alex Hirsch instead of Dipper, though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I would think teen Alex Hirsch and Dipper would essentially be one in the same, disregarding the fact that Dipper technically isn't a teen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just marathoned this show over the past couple of days and am now so disappointed that I have to wait a week like a normal person. Because oh my god, this is the best drat cartoon I've ever seen. More adorable characters have never been made, and I don't think anything can ever top Mabel's hamster ball fantasy.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

TwoPair posted:

I just marathoned this show over the past couple of days and am now so disappointed that I have to wait a week like a normal person. Because oh my god, this is the best drat cartoon I've ever seen. More adorable characters have never been made, and I don't think anything can ever top Mabel's hamster ball fantasy.

The rest of us normals have been waiting three weeks, thank you very much.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TwoPair posted:

I don't think anything can ever top Mabel's hamster ball fantasy.

Speaking of which, were the cool dudes in the cool car a reference to some old cartoon or something? They were drawn in a very different style from the rest of the show and they looked like they were out of a late 80s cartoon; but I don't recognize them.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
So in this thing they say there's going to be a secret to Dipper's name. I'm hoping that means his name is actually some crazy pompous-sounding astronomical name. I'm not sure Ursa Minor works, though.

Either that or his True Name is being kept secret.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Cat Mattress posted:

Speaking of which, were the cool dudes in the cool car a reference to some old cartoon or something? They were drawn in a very different style from the rest of the show and they looked like they were out of a late 80s cartoon; but I don't recognize them.

I think they were just generic 80's-early 90's pretty boys, the kind you'd see in mass media directed at girls during that time. They kind of remind me of the New Kids on the Block, if any of you whipper-snappers are even old enough to remember that far back. :bahgawd:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Jazu posted:

So in this thing they say there's going to be a secret to Dipper's name. I'm hoping that means his name is actually some crazy pompous-sounding astronomical name. I'm not sure Ursa Minor works, though.

Either that or his True Name is being kept secret.

Why do you think they call him Dipper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Freddy and the Weasel The Gravity Falls Gossiper did a special episode with Alex Hirsch in character as Grunkle Stan. "Come for the mystery, stay because, uh, I stole the wheels off your car and you can't leave!"

• Locked thread