Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So a minor annoyance with the Drop system. It's only happened once in (early game, but for those who are waiting to play it) La Cité des Cloches (Hunchback of Notre Dame) and I expect it to happen again later in the game. In the part wherein you have to kill 3 certain things to move on. If you drop out while doing this before finishing it (i.e. not killing the last thing) and you drop back to the original character, the status of the current event is reverted to the beginning of the event. Obviously you can stave off this by using Drop-Me-Nots, but obviously can't do it if you're in the midst of battle if you didn't have set in your panel beforehand. :effort:

A minor annoyance as I've said before, but something to look out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Macaluso posted:

If I had any hope of Treasure Planet being in it when this series started, it's gone now :smith:

Keep the faith brother. It will happen. They're running out of Disney properties to bring into the fold, right?

:negative:

(Still have a better chance of getting in than Atlantis [another Disney movie that I like that no one else does])

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Macaluso posted:

If I had any hope of Treasure Planet being in it when this series started, it's gone now :smith:

but they just released the 10th anniversary BluRay! They acknowledge it exists!

I've never seen it :shobon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So a minor annoyance with the Drop system. It's only happened once in (early game, but for those who are waiting to play it) La Cité des Cloches (Hunchback of Notre Dame) and I expect it to happen again later in the game. In the part wherein you have to kill 3 certain things to move on. If you drop out while doing this before finishing it (i.e. not killing the last thing) and you drop back to the original character, the status of the current event is reverted to the beginning of the event. Obviously you can stave off this by using Drop-Me-Nots, but obviously can't do it if you're in the midst of battle if you didn't have set in your panel beforehand. :effort:

A minor annoyance as I've said before, but something to look out for.

The Drop system is completely loving stupid. You can abuse it by just buying Drop Me Nots but still.

The way it is structured is that you're more and more likely to run out as the level progresses. Which means that without just devouring Drop-Me-Nots or whatever, the time when you're most likely to run out of time is during a boss fight, because that comes at the end of a level. Run out during a boss fight and it completely resets.

I have no idea who thought that was a good idea but they're a moron.

Is there any reason to create a Dream Eater between Default Rank and *? It doesn't really seem like it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 3, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

The Drop system is completely loving stupid. You can abuse it by just buying Drop Me Nots but still.

The way it is structured is that you're more and more likely to run out as the level progresses. Which means that without just devouring Drop-Me-Nots or whatever, the time when you're most likely to run out of time is during a boss fight, because that comes at the end of a level. Run out during a boss fight and it completely resets.

I have no idea who thought that was a good idea but they're a moron.

Is there any reason to create a Dream Eater between Default Rank and *? It doesn't really seem like it.

The drop meter makes noise as it gets close to ticking down, so if you see it is almost depleted, dick around for a bit until it empties, or just drop. Or use an item. It's really not that bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The drop meter makes noise as it gets close to ticking down, so if you see it is almost depleted, dick around for a bit until it empties, or just drop. Or use an item. It's really not that bad.

That's not the point. It's not hard to avoid, it's just a bad mechanic. The only thing it exists to do is punish you if you're in a rush/get into an unexpected boss fight/whatever and forget to pop a Drop Me Not before it starts. It has no other benefits. All I do is devour Drop-Me-Nots and switch characters when I finish a world.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

That's not the point. It's not hard to avoid, it's just a bad mechanic. The only thing it exists to do is punish you if you're in a rush/get into an unexpected boss fight/whatever and forget to pop a Drop Me Not before it starts. It has no other benefits. All I do is devour Drop-Me-Nots and switch characters when I finish a world.

No it exists to make sure you are regularly switching between characters so that their progress stays even

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

No it exists to make sure you are regularly switching between characters so that their progress stays even

Except it doesn't. It don't do that. Their progress is "I finish a world with one and then the other." Even if it did, why should my progress be switched at the game's decision instead of my own? If I want to run through Riku's story and then Sora's, I shouldn't have to be using(admittedly quite cheap) items or risk having boss fights reset on me to do so.

It's not a crippling mechanic but it's a completely bizarre one with no real thought put into it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 3, 2012

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

ImpAtom posted:

Except it doesn't. It don't do that. Their progress is "I finish a world with one and then the other." Even if it did, why should my progress be switched at the game's decision instead of my own? If I want to run through Riku's story and then Sora's, I shouldn't have to be chugging (admittedly quite cheap) items or risk having boss fights reset on me to do so.

If you're able to go through an entire world with either one of them in one drop gauge, you're either eating drop-me-not's like loving candy or you're on beginner mode.

It's supposed to keep the storylines at the same pace (and it actually does this if you're not using literally all the drop-me-nots), which I find is far better than the Chain of Memories way of playing through each seperately and forgetting half the poo poo you did in the other one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haquer posted:

If you're able to go through an entire world with either one of them in one drop gauge, you're either eating drop-me-not's like loving candy or you're on beginner mode.

I usually use 2-3 Drop-Me-Nots at most per stage and I'm playing on the hardest difficulty available so... no? Usually the only time I'm close to running out is near the boss fight, as I mentioned above. You have more than enough time, especially if you use the Drop Decreaser. My usual strategy is get through the stage -> pop a Drop Me Not before the boss -> Drop once I'm out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 3, 2012

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Regardless of how easy/difficult it is to work around, the Drop mechanic appears to be a fundamentally stupid one. What would be wrong with simply having Sora finish one world, then switching to Riku, or whenever the plot mandates instead of at arbitrary times during gameplay?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Pureauthor posted:

Regardless of how easy/difficult it is to work around, the Drop mechanic appears to be a fundamentally stupid one. What would be wrong with simply having Sora finish one world, then switching to Riku, or whenever the plot mandates instead of at arbitrary times during gameplay?

The drop system also gives a "daily" bonuses and chances to get new dream eaters as well, so it's not 100% about switching characters.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Having played the game for a while now, I've found that late-game Drop Bonuses will break the game in your favour if you know how to use them. The LV. 3 Drop Decelerator Bonus (awailable for a measly 100 DP) in particular not only gives you enough time to farm Drop Points to buy it and several other bonuses whenever I Drop, but it gives me way too much time as either Sora or Riku, so my tendency to prematurely Drop a character has increased. The rest of my unspent Drop Points convert into Munny, which in turn helps me towards buying good commands to fuse into Dream Eaters (though most of my Munny comes from selling the items that are used as ingredients in Dream Eater Melding, I get far too many of those in the post-game).

Speaking of commands, I'm partial to commands that mitigate a Dream Eater's magical weakness. Fused a Skelterwild with Mega Flare so it started out with only a 20% weakness to fire. Block-It Chocolates helped decrease it even further, down to a 2% weakness (which resulted in it having 75% Blizzard Resistance and about 30-40% Resistance to everything else, as well as HP above the norm).

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

but they just released the 10th anniversary BluRay! They acknowledge it exists!

I've never seen it :shobon:

You're not missing much. It's not a terrible movie, but it's not really memorable.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Don't listen to that guy, Treasure Planet is awesome.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Don't listen to that guy, Treasure Planet is awesome.

It's cool stylistically, but just wasn't that memorable for me. I remember the villains in particular being really weak. What's funny is that it was the dream project for a long time for the famed Disney directing duo of John Musker and Ron Clements, but Disney was hesitant to make it until those two had proved they could put out some hits. Turns out Disney might have had the right idea.

That said, it WOULD make a cool world, but the only way it would ever make it into a KH game was if it pulled a Tron and went from being a flop to a cult hit somehow.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ok I'm confused.

What's the deal with the white froggy knight I fought as Sora in Prankster's Paradise? Does this guy show up randomly? Because I fought him as Riku in Hunchback World but he ran away halfway through. And then Sora got a bonus level up, which makes me think I missed something for Riku :(

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ok I'm confused.

What's the deal with the white froggy knight I fought as Sora in Prankster's Paradise? Does this guy show up randomly? Because I fought him as Riku in Hunchback World but he ran away halfway through. And then Sora got a bonus level up, which makes me think I missed something for Riku :(

I've encountered him 3 times so far. The last one I put him to 0 health and then he blocked every single one of my attacks and ran off again, so I don't know what the gently caress :confused:

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
As it stands I don't think any of the run of early 2000's Disney box office bombs (I'm talking to you, Treasure Planet, Atlantis: The Lost Empire and The Emperor's New Groove are making it in the Kingdom Hearts series, although they are running out of worlds. I have a feeling they would rather regurgitate poo poo like Halloween Town and Agrabah or start using Pixar worlds before they go for the flops. It's a shame, all 3 of those movies would make pretty cool and aesthetically unique worlds

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
What about the Rescuers? That's one property I wouldn't mind seeing in the KH universe. But then again I guess it's hard to find a proper sounding replacement of Eva Gabor. :smith:

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Haquer posted:

I've encountered him 3 times so far. The last one I put him to 0 health and then he blocked every single one of my attacks and ran off again, so I don't know what the gently caress :confused:

That's... weird. You generally beat him in max. three times (there's just three locations he can appear in). Once you beat him for good, he drops his own recipe.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Black Feather posted:

That's... weird. You generally beat him in max. three times (there's just three locations he can appear in). Once you beat him for good, he drops his own recipe.
does the bonus level apply to both guys? Or do they each have to beat him? Or does the bonus apply to both?

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

does the bonus level apply to both guys? Or do they each have to beat him? Or does the bonus apply to both?
He can appear in three locations (La Cité and Symphony with Riku, Prankster's with Sora), his health never resets and you just have to beat him once with whoever gets him first.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Black Feather posted:

He can appear in three locations (La Cité and Symphony with Riku, Prankster's with Sora), his health never resets and you just have to beat him once with whoever gets him first.
I guess I'll kill him with Riku in my Critical run. There's some kind of ng+ right?

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I guess I'll kill him with Riku in my Critical run. There's some kind of ng+ right?

Yes, you carry over your trophies and all your Dream Eaters (they reset to level 1, though).

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We might see a Jungle Book world as that was planned for BBS but cut out fairly late. Of the older Disney films that haven't been used at all (aside from The Rescuers) I think only The Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood and The Black Cauldron stand a decent chance of getting in. We've already got Merlin so a world for him wouldn't be a stretch, Robin Hood makes sense from a combat point of view and The Black Cauldron would be a good fit for Maleficent, whom the Horned King would probably ally with. But they're not exactly the first films you think of when you say Disney Classic, so who knows.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It just kinda stinks that Disney can be a bit stingy with their characters. I mean I know why they do it, it's just rough to get the really obscure stuff into the game. Square can be blamed too for wanting the game to be more than a Disney action RPG. I just hope 3 really knocks it out of the park with giving a familiar yet new experience.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Have anyone got some basic tips on how to play BBS? I'm starting out as Terra, and I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the whole Command Deck thing, and when I should fuse commands.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

My thoughts on the Drop system. Having played all the KH's out there, I believe I prefer this system of switching characters as opposed to the past ones. BBS having been my least favorite, I felt like I played through the game 3 times and it wasn't fun doing so. Only an opinion though.
This system gives you a great bonus system with it though, if you don't like dropping, use some drop points to get the decelerator or whatever the gently caress that is. I went through a whole world as Riku without dropping once. Also keeping a drop-me-not in your deck list isn't too bad. (Oh no one spot, I can't do that.) It may seem like a big hassle, but really there is enough differences between the two (and the story) to make it worth it. I like the fuse thing with Riku, I also like not being an emo bitch. Anyways, enjoy.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Elswyyr posted:

Have anyone got some basic tips on how to play BBS? I'm starting out as Terra, and I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the whole Command Deck thing, and when I should fuse commands.

What trouble do you have with it, exactly?

You should fuse commands as soon as you can (you can always buy the components you lose through fusion back at a moogle store), with the two skills maxed out, preferably.

Some general playstyle tips on Terra - he's as slow as gently caress and not too great at magic (though magic is pretty decent in this game), his dodge is really terrible, and he can be hit during the cooldown of his dodge. His main benefit is hitting things hard. Spam shotlocks when you can, and get used to the counter hammer technique (which you aqquire early on). His Keyblade also has the longest reach and highest base attack stat.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

wtf how are you supposed to remember which spirits you have maxed out the ability grids for? I can't remember if I maxed out my toximander and it's pissing me off

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

wtf how are you supposed to remember which spirits you have maxed out the ability grids for? I can't remember if I maxed out my toximander and it's pissing me off

Press X when selecting a spirit in the Select Your Party screen and it'll show you which moves it has/hasn't learned. If they're all white you've learned everything.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

Press X when selecting a spirit in the Select Your Party screen and it'll show you which moves it has/hasn't learned. If they're all white you've learned everything.

Does it even show Hidden abilities you haven't unlocked yet?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm about an hour into the game and I'm still kinda lost as to what the gently caress these AR Card do. It said something about using one when it gave me the Link Point tutorial with the dog or whatever the gently caress it is, but it didn't seem to do anything. Can I even use them yet?

heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does it even show Hidden abilities you haven't unlocked yet?

No, the select screen menu will let you know if it's all unlocked though. If you're missing some, there will be blank spaces. In my experience each Dream Eater has two Depositions that'll unlock the last four or so abilities. Also if a Dream Eater starts on one of those personality types, it doesn't count; it'll get the grid unlock only when it goes back to that Deposition from another one.

Finally wandered into this thread since I got KH3D done with. Despite intentionally wasting two days of playtime, I only got the game Tuesday and it's over... I guess it's time to replay it on Proud Mode already! Normally I take a breather but oh well. That last boss though... Ghost Drive completely wrecked its poo poo. Riku reminds me a bit of Aqua play-wise; once you have his best (Dark) commands and Dual Links very little will stand in its way. When regular mooks aren't stunlocking you to death, anyway. :black101:

Edit: freaking typo. Also on the AR cards: hold them in a well-lit place in front of the camera in the Spirit part of the menu, you may have to fiddle a bit but eventually the camera will pick up on the card and activate it.

heroiccreampuff fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 5, 2012

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'd be really interested to see how they handled a Song of the South world, of course that's never going to happen.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

The Moon Monster posted:

I'd be really interested to see how they handled a Song of the South world, of course that's never going to happen.

Yeah well, I really want a Der Fuehrer's Face world but beggars can't be choosers.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

LemonLimeTime posted:

Yeah well, I really want a Der Fuehrer's Face world but beggars can't be choosers.

It's telling that Donald Duck dressed as a Nazi, saluting Hitler, makes more sense than the whole of Kingdom Hearts's current state of plot. :stare:
I now want to see a Der Fuehrer's Face world, if only because I'm craving the insanity of the very thought of it. And for the discussions the producers would have:

Nomura: "So after the Black Cauldron world, and defeating the Horned King, Sora, Donald and Goofy travel to Der Vaterland world."

Disney Exec: "Okay, seems interesting enough."

Nomura: "Anyway, Xehanort and the Organization have joined forces with Hitler and-"

Disney Exec: "Is it still too late to make 'Epic Mickey 3'?"

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Nomura: "Anyway, Xehanort and the Organization have joined forces with Hitler and-"

Stop it, you're making me crave a Hitler boss battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Liku posted:

I'm about an hour into the game and I'm still kinda lost as to what the gently caress these AR Card do. It said something about using one when it gave me the Link Point tutorial with the dog or whatever the gently caress it is, but it didn't seem to do anything. Can I even use them yet?

Once you can open the Spirits menu, since the camera is automatically turned on, point it at an AR card, and you get a dream eater