Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So, I was able to pick up Tropico 2: Pirate Cove from a clearance sale at a store. Anything you think I should know, apart from 'Enjoy Being a Pirate'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maphis
Apr 22, 2012
I'm about to play Knights of the Old Republic for the first time, I've read the handful of tips on the wiki but I'm wondering if there are any must-have mods or graphical tweaks that would make the experience better. I've already installed the Widescreen patch and the HUD fix. Anything else?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Maphis posted:

I'm about to play Knights of the Old Republic for the first time, I've read the handful of tips on the wiki but I'm wondering if there are any must-have mods or graphical tweaks that would make the experience better. I've already installed the Widescreen patch and the HUD fix. Anything else?

I'm not sure what's out lately, but one thing I will say is don't bother getting anything that adds new areas. They were all just really terrible. One was terrible and also impossible to leave, screwing me out of a 3/4 of the way through game thanks to not having a spare save.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It wouldn't be this one, would it? Excluding some typically-bad voice acting, I found it to be one of the most competent mods ever produced for the game.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
I wouldn't mind some tips for Company of Heroes and/or Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts please. Neither are on the Wiki.

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
I thought I read someone discussing a mod for Fallout: New Vegas which would delay the DLC so that you don't receive it all at once, and that it's parsed out the way it was supposed to be done. Does anyone have a link to that?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Foodahn posted:

I wouldn't mind some tips for Company of Heroes and/or Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts please. Neither are on the Wiki.

Some general tips:

If you've never played the warhammer RTS, this is similar in that the main way of obtaining resources is by territory capture, not by worker units gathering supplies. What this means is that you always want to be aggressively expanding on multiple fronts at all times. My favorite army to play as was the german motorized infantry from the expansion and that teaches you really fast that speed and multiple fronts are needed.

Tying into that is unit veterancy and retreating. Try to not lose squads, veteran units make a big, big difference and are very important. It's better to retreat and lose a point temporarily than lose the whole unit. When you retreat, units run to the nearest place that heals them, in the beginning likely your HQ. Don't forget to send them back out once they're healed. You also typically don't need a second unit producing building of the same tier (there are 4 tiers that each create different types of troops/armor) until late into the game if it lasts that long.

Different units have different effective ranges. The german motorized army has riflemen that are good from a distance, you'll want to kite your enemies with them. Comparatively, the brits have tommy guns which are more effective at close range, and will wreck said riflemen easily from close range.

Finally, always remember the importance of supression against the enemy, and cover for your units. It's important to suppress infantry all the way into the late game as units with a bazooka can wreck your much more expensive, hard earned tanks.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Herobotic posted:

I thought I read someone discussing a mod for Fallout: New Vegas which would delay the DLC so that you don't receive it all at once, and that it's parsed out the way it was supposed to be done. Does anyone have a link to that?

I think it's called delay DLC.

E: it is!

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.

Eulisker posted:

I think it's called delay DLC.

E: it is!

Thank you very much! Now, to finally start this game. It's been way too long since I sat down and played Fallout.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Maphis posted:

Some people will tell you not to level up until you become a Jedi but this is unnecessary and Jedi have terrible skill progression. Plus you'll be loaded in experience anyway so you might miss out on 1 or 2 abilities, max.

By the end of the game you either want kill droid (if you're good) or drain life. The final boss has a cheap way of healing himself that can prolong the fight. Both of these powers are pretty good anyway.

The Speed tree is probably the best force power no matter who you are. It's basically a massive defense boost and you get extra attacks with no penalty. Even consulars, the equivalent of wizards in Star Wars, become whirlwinds of death.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 4, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

Some people will tell you not to level up until you become a Jedi but this is unnecessary and Jedi have terrible skill progression. Plus you'll be loaded in experience anyway so you might miss out on 1 or 2 abilities, max. If you want to unlock a good character's backstory and upgrades (and you want to do this) you need a high repair and I don't think any of the Jedi have repair as a base skill.

By the end of the game you either want kill droid (if you're good) or drain life. The final boss has a cheap way of healing himself that can prolong the fight. Both of these powers are pretty good anyway.

The Speed tree is probably the best force power no matter who you are. It's basically a massive defense boost and you get extra attacks with no penalty. Even consulars, the equivalent of wizards in Star Wars, become whirlwinds of death.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

OxMan posted:

Some general tips:

Thank you.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Anything for Mana Khemia 2?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cross-Section posted:

It wouldn't be this one, would it? Excluding some typically-bad voice acting, I found it to be one of the most competent mods ever produced for the game.

Sorry, I don't remember. This was quite some time ago. The new areas I played in were very boring and amateurish, universally. I wish I could remember more about them, but they were too unmemorable.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 4, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Here's a tough one for you:

What should I know if I'm gonna play Perihelion for the first time?

Yes, the old one.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm getting Alan Wake from Gamefly, any tips?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

OldTennisCourt posted:

You can aim without using up your flashlight battery by just gently holding down the button (I'm assuming you're on a console).

You usually lose all your flares/flashbangs/weapons in between levels, so don't worry too much about conserving.

Poke around and explore to find equipment stashes and manuscript pages. There's a decent amount of foreshadowing and story hints scattered about.

Barry loving Wheeler is the best character.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

OldTennisCourt posted:

- In case the game doesn't make it perfectly clear, you hold the flashlight on an enemy until the little circle of light disappears and there's a small flash, and then the enemy is vulnerable to attack

- Enemies do not drop ammo, so be careful with ammo early on. There are areas where enemies spawn infinitely, so don't waste ammo if it looks like they're not relenting.

- The game will tempt you with exploration in the wide open forests you explore, but be careful, there's lots of extra environment with nothing of value in it.

- The manuscript pages often contain plot points that haven't happened yet (but will soon), so read them later if you want to avoid spoilers.

- :black101: CHILDREN OF THE ELDER GODS :black101:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

OldTennisCourt posted:

What the others said. Also, the game is pretty hard in the beginning but gets easier as the game suddenly turns generous with weapons and ammo. I also recommend that you take breaks between chapters to avoid tedium.

EDIT: After you've beaten the game there are two extra chapters in the Chapter Select menu.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

1stGear posted:

You can aim without using up your flashlight battery by just gently holding down the button (I'm assuming you're on a console).

Holy poo poo I can't believe I played through the whole game without knowing this.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Whoops wrong thread

kazil fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 6, 2012

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Is there any reason to do all of the side missions (assassination, courier, etc.) in assassins creed 2, or is it just for money? Because money isn't really e issue.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Eulisker posted:

Is there any reason to do all of the side missions (assassination, courier, etc.) in assassins creed 2, or is it just for money? Because money isn't really e issue.

I think there's an achievement for doing a certain number of side-missions, but other than that... there's no reason to do them. I just did the ones that looked fun.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
I always wanted to get into the Silent Hunter series, but I dont know which game to buy: Silent Hunter 4 or 5? Which is better, less buggy etc?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Foodahn posted:

Having just played through Company of Heroes:

-The game is very specific on what does what. For example: one good sniper will wreck an entrenched .88 or mortar team. Keep him camouflaged and you can wreak havoc.

-The game is not like other RTS in that you usually can't build just a bunch of one unit and have them steam roll an opponent. Even if you roll out with all of the biggest baddest tanks, a few AT guns and Bazooka/Panzerschrek infantry will tear it apart.

-Use units as they are meant to be used. Infantry need to flank positions, tanks need to suppress infantry, and AT guns/Machine guns need to be set at choke points with intersecting fields of fire

-Veterancy means quite a bit. It can be the difference between being wiped out and getting that last AT shot off.

-Engineers are crucial. If you find yourself in a tough spot, use them to mine areas and build tank traps. They can swing a battle!

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Foodahn posted:

Snipers are really effective, but keep them in cover or in a building and try not to get them killed like fodder.

Keep your squads full and upgraded.

If you happen across some field arty, grab them, and take them with you to take out enemy bunkers, or MG crews.

You don't need to rush on most missions, take your time. CoH is one of the best RTS's ever, enjoy it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Anyone playing the PC version of Borderlands don't use Flawless Widescreen to fix the FOV. It was causing my game to save incorrectly and crash once about every five minutes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Attention Horse posted:

I always wanted to get into the Silent Hunter series, but I dont know which game to buy: Silent Hunter 4 or 5? Which is better, less buggy etc?

I think 3 is almost universally considered to be the best, actually. Part of it is because 3 is about the U-Boat campaign, which has a more natural video game progression (starts off easy, becomes gradually more impossible as the war turns hopeless for Germany, making it more of a "survive as long as you can and take as many of them as you can with you" campaign), whereas 4 is about the American campaign in the Pacific, which actually becomes easier as time progresses, as the Japanese start losing more and more. Gameplay-wise, 4 really doesn't improve much on 3's formula, so there's kind of no reason to play it if you're choosing between playing one of the two for the first time.

5 is also about the German campaign, but I believe is generally considered to be the worst of the three recent games. I haven't played it so I'm honestly not completely sure why. I think it's buggy? I really don't know, all I know is that everyone kind of agrees that Silent Hunter 3 is the best one, which works well, because it's fairly cheap by now and as the most popular one, has mods that change the experience if you'd like that.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Any help for Pathologic? The wiki just suggests prioritizing the daily objective and the only other online thing I've found is an extremely specific guide that looked very, very spoilery. I've made it to the beginning of day 3 as The Bachelor. What the hell is an Adherent? Why is a different one at the top of my list every day? Some of them complain of infection but seem unsure and it's making me nervous. My infection bar is ever so slowly creeping up too. I'd love to know if the side quests are important too, some of them require a huge amount of effort in terms of how punishing the survival mechanics are.

Any tips about maintaining supplies, trading and gaming the extremely harsh economy for even the slightest advantage would be super appreciated!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Silent Hunter 5 is sort of like 3 except you instead of having a wide selection of u-boats and upgrades for them and such..you have 1 u-boat and it's variants. 5 looks better, but 3 has way more features and is a much better sandbox especially with mods. So basically get 5 if you want a good looking sub game, get 3 if you want a feature rich sandbox realistic sub simulator. 4 is pretty good, it looks and controls better than 3 but people prefer the setting of 3 over the pacific campaign I think. Not that you're necessarily limited to Europe in 3, you can go all the way up to the US Atlantic Coast with some of the longer range subs I think.

Tips in general(Mostly for 3)

-Travelling at high seas can be rather boring, and it's tempting to crank up the time compressor up to max. Don't. While there are certain speeds recommended, the extreme speeds tend to weird the spawning and such out and you'll be unable to react to threats or targets appropriately.

-Being in a submarine does not mean you have to stay submerged all the time, keep surfaced unless there are threats or targets near by. You'll go much faster and be much more alert for targets.

-Do not try to be a hero and take on military ships. While they are admittedly impressive kills they are actually rather low in tonnage, and they will chew your sub up and spit it back out in a heartbeat.

-Don't try to rambo it. There might be a convoy of a hundred large merchants sitting helpless, but if you see even one destroyer you pop off your front torpedoes at the most tempting targets and then hightail it out of there.

-If you do have a Destroyer on your tail play it cool, dive deep and go slow. Turn on silent rigging and try not to make any sounds. Hopefully the Destroyer will drop some depth charges close, but not on you, decide that you aren't there and continue on elsewhere. Even a single depth charge can be fatal, as they weaken your structural integrity which can make deeper waters deadly to you.

-Planes. Especially a problem if you're heading around the Isles, when you spot a plane it's better to just submerge and let them past. Even if you have a flak gun, planes are hard to hit and can do major damage to you with just one hit. And as time passes they only get more deadly.

-Get all your fun times out of the way at the beginning of the game, because death is inevitable. You are a German U-Boat, no matter how good a captain you are there's no way for you to significantly alter the outcome of the war. As the years go by you'll find that your enemies because more advanced and better equipped, and while you'll get your hands on some rather nasty u-boats yourself..the enemy is always more numerous and becomes increasingly more competent and able to deal with you no matter how well you hide.

-Most of the people who play the game swear by turning all the realism options on and manually plotting their torpedo courses and such. I recommend you take a look at them, see what you think is cool and enable those. Don't be afraid to let the computer handle some stuff for you, the game has a rather steep learning curve and can be rather based on luck sometimes. Your first few games will likely be spent fighting the menus and controls until you run aground and die.

-Rather predictably the English Channel is crawling with mines and planes and is a veritable death-trap. Try to avoid it by going around the top of Scotland unless you have orders stating otherwise.

-Your sub is a fragile egg. Do not be afraid to let your prey go if you suspect that things might not go well, there'll be plenty of chances to blow up merchants later.

-Try not to save mid-patrol, it tends to cause bugs and mess everything up.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 8, 2012

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
Some unsolicited tips from games I've recently replayed:

Silent Storm:
It's more fun to play through the game with one character rather than a full squad. Or if that's too hard on your first time through, play with only two or three characters.

The Axis campaign is a little bit harder than the Allied one, especially if you're soloing it.

Don't let enemies with heavy machine guns get anywhere near your characters. If you can't kill them in one turn when they're close, you're dead.

Enemies have no way of getting through doors rigged with explosives. Use this to your advantage if you're surrounded and need to run inside a building for cover.

Take advantage of the destructable environments. Hear an enemy above you? Shoot them through the floor with a machine gun. Several enemies on the other side of a door? Blow them away with a heavy grenade. Don't want to enter a building through the front door? Fire a rocket at a wall to make your own entrance. It's useful AND fun.

If you hate the idea of mechs (Panzerkleins) and energy weapons in your WW2 game, there's a mod called NoPKs to remove them.

Dark Cloud 2:
The only missable things to watch out for are photography related. Most, if not all, bosses have a scoop (Usually a picture of them performing a specific attack) that you can only get in the one battle with the boss. Talk to Donny in the entrance of the Underground Channel and he'll give you a list of all the scoops you can get at that point in the game.

The game gives you hints for some inventions, but for the most part you'll need a guide to figure out how to make the best stuff.

You can use the Ridepod to effortlessly beat bosses for most of the game.

At first Max's gun and Monica's armband will be useless, but late in the game they get much stronger, so it's worth it to level them up.

Don't waste synth points on increasing a weapon's durability. You should be able to max it out on all your weapons just by leveling them up.

The boxes and rocks and stuff on the floors of the dungeons sometimes drop items when you break them. They're a good source of repair powders, and the only way to find free Ridepod fuel.

Some of the chests with HP increasing items in the chapter 3 future area are glitched and can disappear. I suggest using the Starlight Temple map on GameFAQs to see which ones are glitched before you go there for the first time.

A few dungeon floors have second exits leading to alternate paths blocked off by a glowing yellow thing, you can't get through them until late in the game when the story requires it.

Don't worry if you completely suck at Spheda once you learn how to play. The dungeon you learn it in is the hardest one for Spheda, in my opinion. The next chapter's dungeon is easier, and chapter 7's dungeon is by far the easiest for Spheda.

All of the extra stuff like fishing, Spheda, monster transformation is completely optional after you learn it.

All medals do is allow you to trade them for items from Mayor Need (Once you recruit him), so collecting them doesn't matter much unless you want to do everything in the game.

In the extra chapter, after beating the main story, you can't go back to the chapter 7 dungeon or any of the future locations. So before fighting the final boss, make sure you get all of the HP/defense items in the future and if you want to get all of the medals, all of the medals in the chapter 7 dungeon.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

neetz posted:

What the hell is an Adherent?
You're in the town to do something, right? More specifically, you're a representative of a certain philosophy. In order for that ideology to triumph and get the "good" ending, you want to keep all your supporters/Adherents alive and well.

For the most part, just completing the daily quest successfully should do it, but you want to stock several full cures for fuckups / unexpected events.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I've started playing Albion again and it seems to be the kind of game that let's you easily miss important/vital items, so any tips on how to avoid making the game near unwinable would be nice. I've just started out and just landed on the planet. I did pick up the Rifle with 18 cannisters.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I've never played any Assassin's Creed games but recently got my hands on a 360 and have a hankering to get into it. If I'm just looking to pick up a fun game casually, am I best off getting whatever the latest installment is or do I need to start with the first game?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

nemoulette posted:

I've never played any Assassin's Creed games but recently got my hands on a 360 and have a hankering to get into it. If I'm just looking to pick up a fun game casually, am I best off getting whatever the latest installment is or do I need to start with the first game?

Neither in fact, I would say get AC2. If you want to play any more from there you just go to Brotherhood and then Revelations. Maybe read up on AC1 if you feel confused(it'll probably be fine) but I don't recommend actually playing it. The sequels to AC2 assume you have played AC2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
AC1 has a good game inside it, struggling to get out. AC2 is that game.

AC1 does have a utterly enthralling Let's Play, because the player talks about the history of the region while doing the repetitive stuff.

If you do decide to play it, try and suppress any completionist urges you have. The main assassinations are cool, but outside of that it's the same half-dozen quests or minigames over and over and over and over. And then there's the mind-numbingly pointless collection crap.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Thanks dudes!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up world of warcraft+ all expansions, some sort of deal they had.

Despite this being the most popular MMO of all time, I know jack poo poo about it, any good newbie tips? Already have a friend to play with at least and he's gonna introduce me to his guild.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Bought Mr. Moskeeto today, any advice before I start that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Alteisen posted:

Picked up world of warcraft+ all expansions, some sort of deal they had.

Despite this being the most popular MMO of all time, I know jack poo poo about it, any good newbie tips? Already have a friend to play with at least and he's gonna introduce me to his guild.

There's a fairly active subforum with a stickied thread for new player advice. Mainly, though:

* As soon as you get to the milestone levels (20/40/60 etc) get a mount and upgrade its speed. Feel free to poke your friend for a gold loan; the prices are a lot less comparitively expensive at max level.
* Pick up gathering professions like Herbalism and Mining while levelling - it's basically free money for picking up things while you're questing. Just make sure to keep it levelled so you can get the stuff in the areas while you're in them.
* Grab all the side professions, too, but don't fret too much about levelling them unless you're interested. Definitely don't worry about Archaeology until you have a flying mount.
* There's going to be a major patch and expansion soon that'll change a lot of things, including the basic talent system, so don't feel too blindsided by it. I'd say wait to get really into it until the systems patch lands (they're in the final stages of it right now) so you don't have to relearn things immediately.

Regarding classes: They're all fun and viable in their own ways. I'd avoid Rogues unless you're really interested in PVP, and cloth classes like Priests, Mages, and Warlocks are a bit flimsy if you plan to try to solo old content when you're at high level. You can always make alts, though, so don't feel incredibly locked in on your first choice.