Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Oh yeah, I remember those G's now. It's really too bad this game wasn't more popular. It wasn't as great as other games, but it was still tons of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A crazy fantasy sport park is a pretty great setting for the final level of any of these games. They did a pretty good job overall with this game, I'd say.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Glazius posted:

A crazy fantasy sport park is a pretty great setting for the final level of any of these games. They did a pretty good job overall with this game, I'd say.

It's basically the extreme sports version of Rainbow Road; and are generally equally awesome. Although if there's an extreme sports game with the final level actually set in a psychedelic outer space area, that would be doubly awesome.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Six Of Spades posted:

It's basically the extreme sports version of Rainbow Road; and are generally equally awesome. Although if there's an extreme sports game with the final level actually set in a psychedelic outer space area, that would be doubly awesome.

Skate Heaven :haw:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
New game time. To Flare_night and itotaku: Yup, it's a biking game. Mountain biking, though.

Game 2: Let’s Play Downhill Domination

What is this game?
Downhill Domination is a mountain biking game made by Incog Entertainment, the same developers of Twisted Metal: Black. It is an extremely intense game, requiring fast reflexes and good play as you dodge all the obstacles in your path that can take you out. Along with its fast-pace racing is a basic tricks system borrowed from SSX, and a combat system that you can use to get ahead. Nothing like bullets, rockets and missiles though, just punches, sticks, water bottles, etc. It is very arcade-y and extremely unrealistic, and it’s not as punishing as it seems. Sure, if you don’t know what’s coming up, you’ll be in for some trouble, but if you remember what’s coming up, you can weave through the obstacles with more ease.

Races are divided into three types: Freeride, which are races down massive courses that often last 4-5 minutes, Mountain Cross, which are more intense, short races where every jump and turn counts, and Technical Downhill, a mix of both, with many obstacles to avoid and making a path requires split-second decision making. Naturally, with my horrible reflexes, I crash a lot.

What are you changing for this LP?
Unlike Shaun Palmer, which had only me doing commentary, now I am assisted by my friend blanktester. I play the person who explains the game to him, and he plays the person who derails us for a minute or two. Hopefully our buddy chat lends itself well to just watching the videos; the only goals here are to win the races, so I don’t need to be walking you through the game every second. Also that’s because even after playing the game for a bit, I depend on luck a lot.

There are 9 mountain ranges, but not all of them have all 3 races. At first, I’ll pick Super Career, where I go through every race in the game. Along with that, there are Specialized careers, where you can play a shorter career featuring only one of the three race types. They’re the same races I’d have already done, though, so I may not go for those. If I set up live streaming, maybe I can do those in a stream. At the moment, the LP will last 9 episodes and only show off Super Career.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how RADICAL is it?
8. It’s extremely intense, and extremely fun. However, sometimes there’s just too much poo poo to dodge. With the incredible speeds the game gives you, it really needed to open the courses up a little more. Some of the levels are good, but others are absolute pains. But for intensity, yeah, it ranks up there.

EPISODE GUIDE:

Area 1: Mount Midoule

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Huh.

I never heard of this game, I just know where that Fox logo comes from, it's the most popular body 'armor' for Motocross and Biking. You see it basically on 2 out of 3 riders.

I vaguely remember a Motocross Tony Hawk-Style game? I might be wrong though. I think I played it once. It was a track based game, but you could do tricks?

Maybe you know what I'm talking about?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I knew it was BMX, simply because I think if you are going to do a motocross game its going to be something really "special"

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

itotaku posted:

I knew it was BMX, simply because I think if you are going to do a motocross game its going to be something really "special"

Yeah, most motocross games are just racing games, even though they usually try to have generic tricks in them. I probably won't cover "Motocross GX 2002 Feat. C-List Pro Rider 5" because there's so many similar ones. There is a motocross game I'm looking at right now that I'll probably kill myself trying to beat again :suicide:

If you want to look at gameplay of all those older racing games that I probably won't do, the youtube channel GamerXZ95 has lots of videos. I'm still the only one offering up full LPs though ;)

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Wow, never heard of this one before. Also this game looks really... murky. Which may be because it's an old PS2 game, but even the colour pallet is very grey and brown. It must be pretty hard to see what's coming up properly.

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
Yeah, the graphics may not hold up anymore, but it looks fast and fun. Just how easy is it to control the bike on those huge downhill courses?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

mrbasehart posted:

Yeah, the graphics may not hold up anymore, but it looks fast and fun. Just how easy is it to control the bike on those huge downhill courses?

Controlling them is decent. At full speed, which I pretty much go at all the time aside from TD courses (because the AI goes full speed as much as they can), it's tough, but you can turn fairly well if you slow down. It's responsive enough for me to turn right around powerups while trying to get them.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I'll keep double posting as long as I keep updating. Much like SPPS, a doubleshot out of the starting gate, wherein I ask "Is Utah really this steep?"

Area 2: Red Pass

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
Ovues the LP is rad! I only ever really got extreme in SSX Tricky and THPS but these games look pretty fun actually, you're doing a good job of showing of radical parts.

Fingers crossed for more Rockhogs!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Well that was the weirdest video you've done yet. :stare:

That intro was funny and almost uncomfortable at the same time.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

ThornBrain posted:

Well that was the weirdest video you've done yet. :stare:

That intro was funny and almost uncomfortable at the same time.

I guess blanktester and I exaggerate a lot, but what part was weird? Yeah, coming off what I did for Shaun Palmer, this is different, but I honestly find this more fun for me as well as for the viewers.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ovues posted:

I guess blanktester and I exaggerate a lot, but what part was weird? Yeah, coming off what I did for Shaun Palmer, this is different, but I honestly find this more fun for me as well as for the viewers.

This one was way better than the last one when blanktester was all "Blacks are poor, lol". They can't all be winners though. I'm liking the videos with co-commentary a lot more, or maybe it's because this game is more X-TREEM!!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Hrm, it's an interesting one, and the closest comparison I can come to that I've come across is Nail'd, a game I sadly didn't review, and thus don't have. Instead, I got to review some piece of poo poo that's still in my sports games folder of Steam... lemme check and see what that was...

...Oh, wait, it was in my "Do Not Reinstall" folder, and it was MX vs ATV Reflex.

Esoteric Banana
Mar 29, 2010

I always did want to get Downhill Domination when I was younger but I never had the money for it, thanks for showing it off.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Random Number posted:

This one was way better than the last one when blanktester was all "Blacks are poor, lol". They can't all be winners though. I'm liking the videos with co-commentary a lot more, or maybe it's because this game is more X-TREEM!!

Oh, maybe they're a bit offensive? I didn't really feel like we were going over the line while recording. Then again, I know him well, and I picked him because I knew he could fill in blank spaces with something. I dunno, it's an LP, and we'll keep going and do the rest of this game with him.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 1, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This game does a pretty good job at establishing a sense of vertigo.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ovues posted:

Oh, maybe they're a bit offensive? I didn't really feel like we were going over the line while recording. Then again, I know him well, and I picked him because I knew he could fill in blank spaces with something. I dunno, it's an LP, and we'll keep going and do the rest of this game with him.

It was tasteless, but that's the only objection I really have.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Uhh yeah it's episode 3, wherein I ride on lava without getting hurt.

Area 3: Mt Konawaki

Insetik fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 3, 2012

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Voting Yes for Rap Album.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
I don't actually want to do a rap album.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Ovues posted:

I don't actually want to do a rap album.

I vote for a rap album.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

If you are taking suggestions for games - I have a playstation 1 game I remember the downhill domination reminded me of it Rushdown downhill racing on mountain bikes, snowboards and the unique one kayaks.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Shaded Spriter posted:

If you are taking suggestions for games - I have a playstation 1 game I remember the downhill domination reminded me of it Rushdown downhill racing on mountain bikes, snowboards and the unique one kayaks.

Hmm, I'll look at it. I'm currently crying because the other games I bought for this are balls-breakingly hard and are making me depressed, but after that, I'll look into it.

Also, I should probably have a bit of interactivity in here. No contests yet, and no rap lyric suggestions please (though we will need backing beats if you assholes actually want us to rap for you), but I just can't decide what the preview image should be for the next video. I mean, I just crash into so much stuff that it all works so well! Here are four potential images for the next episode; you decide and I'll make the winning pic the actual image. If I don't get three votes, I'll just make whichever one I want the actual image.

One

Two

Three

Four

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Ah man, there's too many good ones there. The polar bear(?) one does catch my eye the most, though, so I'll vote three.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

'S all about the Polar Bears man. And don't tempt me into scouring my music collection to find an extreme sports game beat for you to rap to.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
Gotta go with the polar bear. Three.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
When I said "at least three votes" I didn't want only three :qqsay:

Anyways, it's Downhill Domination time, wherein no one thought to alert the Russian army that we'd be riding through. Then I almost get run over. Thanks jerks.

Area 4: Mt Zorkovaska

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
If you don't get around to doing Freekstyle I wouldn't blame you, the game really is unforgiving. That special bar takes so much work to get up. Soundtrack was also kind of irritating.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
C for ceiling, G for ground.

Anyway, my standard for extreme sports games now includes bears and lava. Bonus points if they show up together.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Chemical Bastard posted:

If you don't get around to doing Freekstyle I wouldn't blame you, the game really is unforgiving. That special bar takes so much work to get up. Soundtrack was also kind of irritating.

But I'm this close to beating it... on rookie mode

I'll do Freekstyle. I'll burn through recording it then snap my game in half, but I'll do Freekstyle.

Didn't even know about that C vs G difference. I really thought they were spelled the same but for the M and T. I never had to write them out. I'm kinda dumb overall, as my often terrible phrasing may show. Tune in next time when I go on a homing bottle tangent. I'm not kidding. I said that.

Duckbehindcover
Oct 21, 2010

Hold A to vault

Ovues posted:

Didn't even know about that C vs G difference. I really thought they were spelled the same but for the M and T. I never had to write them out. I'm kinda dumb overall, as my often terrible phrasing may show. Tune in next time when I go on a homing bottle tangent. I'm not kidding. I said that.

Either way, stalactites hang tight from the ceiling, whereas stalagmites have an M, which looks like two stalagmites pointing up from the ground

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Productive weekend means another episode. Join us now as we take on the next area, wherein I get murdered by trees. Also can a Scottish person please come in here and tell us how to say 'Liddellroch'?

Area 5: Mt Liddellroch

So I'm now 5 episodes in to a 9 episode Super Career. While I have a week or so before I finish this, I should ask now whether I should show off more of Downhill Domination. There are "Specialized career modes" for just Freeride, Mountain Cross, and Technical Downhill tracks, as well as a "Freestyle" career that would be over the Freeride tracks again. The advantages of playing those are that you gain more money, more bikes, unlock some of the other characters, and get more Sponsor outfits. The disadvantages are that they're on the same exact tracks doing the same races I've been doing. Nothing is added, and it's not over any new tracks. I feel like for an LP, it's not worth watching me do the same stuff again, but if there's a response for more of this game (and I don't mean one or two people), I can record some of that. If not, I'll move on to Freekstyle next, which I can actually somewhat do, despite the game being too clunky for its own good. I'll want to know by August 10th or so, so there's time to talk it out. For now, just enjoy the next part of the Super Career.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 5, 2012

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I'm at work so I haven't been able to watch the video yet, but if there isn't any real new content I say just move on. It sounds like the only thing we'd get to see that we haven't already is the sponsor outfits, right? Maybe do a bonus video later showing any particularly goofy outfits, if any.

Edit: by the way, I may not have said anything before, but I'm enjoying the LP. I never played any of these games (by the time they came out I was old enough to roll my eyes at XTREEEEME games), but every time I see them these days I think they look like fun. Anyway, the point is we are watching. Keep at it. :)

Golden_Zucchini fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 5, 2012

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Golden_Zucchini posted:

I'm at work so I haven't been able to watch the video yet, but if there isn't any real new content I say just move on. It sounds like the only thing we'd get to see that we haven't already is the sponsor outfits, right? Maybe do a bonus video later showing any particularly goofy outfits, if any.

I just had an idea. The good thing about these games is that they usually have a bunch of cheat codes. This game is no exception. Maybe a video where I turn on as many as I can and just do a race. That sounds good.

E: HOOOOOOLY SHIIIIIIIT

Insetik fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 6, 2012

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Ovues posted:

I just had an idea. The good thing about these games is that they usually have a bunch of cheat codes. This game is no exception. Maybe a video where I turn on as many as I can and just do a race. That sounds good.

E: HOOOOOOLY SHIIIIIIIT

This sounds promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If it's anything similar to THPS, it ought to be insane. I'd even suggest making a cheat video for every game.

• Locked thread