Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

PalmTreeFun posted:

I really like this game but I feel like all the stuff you have to unlock that's so much better than default makes some characters feel worthless until they get it. And I don't like beating people just because my Froggy tornado had +40 damage on it and theirs didn't.

Yeah this game seems really fun after a night of playing it but doesn't this whole thing kill the competitive aspect to a game that should be designed around balance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well, you CAN have +30 damage on the dash but that means you sacrifice either cooldown or stun for example. Taking more damage upgrades means you trade in another perk of the attack.

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Normal Adult Human posted:

Voltar can't do anything but hide behind clunk until like level 40.

What's the level 40 upgrade that changes this? I don't play much Voltar but early upgrades to drones seems to do decent damage along with a blind.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Mr.Success posted:

What's the level 40 upgrade that changes this? I don't play much Voltar but early upgrades to drones seems to do decent damage along with a blind.

I don't see anything special for level 40ish really.

28 turns heal wave into a damaging attack
33 6s cooldown on drones
41 Healbot spawns health packs after timing out
53 +4 power on heal wave, costs loving 380

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bought this game yesterday and started playing it. This game is sweet as hecckkkk.

Question are player's levels based on actual stat increases or just a marker for how much gold you've have?

Also, Am I a bad person for loving Leon?

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Bought this game yesterday and started playing it. This game is sweet as hecckkkk.

Question are player's levels based on actual stat increases or just a marker for how much gold you've have?

Also, Am I a bad person for loving Leon?

Player's levels are based only on how much gold they've gained.

I like when the Leon on my team does better than the Leon on the other team.

Mylakovich
Feb 25, 2008

Now more Modern
than ever before!
The best feeling is when you destroy the enemy drill after the enemy Leon went 18/1.

keefin and kel
Aug 27, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Polo-Rican posted:

The mostly-dormant-for-some-reason thread for the PS3 and XBOX360 versions is this way.

Awesomenauts is a new 2D sidescrolling MOBA from developer Ronimo Games with beautiful cartoon graphics. If you're a fan of DOTA but wish the game was more straight-up fun, or a fan of Smash Bros but wish there was better team play and it felt less "pointless," Awesomenauts is the game for you!

It plays just like DOTA - you have a team of heroes that pushes with a wave of NPC "creeps" towards the enemy base. You must destroy 2 towers to get the enemy base. Destroy the base to win!

It's been on PS3 and Xbox360 for around 3 months, but never really caught on big because their publisher (but not the developers) went bankrupt right before the game was finished. Because of this, there really wasn't any publicity / marketing / advertisements for the game. Plus the console audience isn't great for MOBAs.

» Get it on Steam for $10 Right Now

» Join the goon Steam group!

» Awesomenauts Wiki

• It's really fun, yet there's still potential for deep team tactics and whatnot
  • You can do split screen on your PC!! Neat!!
  • The characters are great (except for the cowboy) and have a lot of personality. Each one has a theme song that plays when you get a killing spree!
  • When you die, you play a neat minigame that can net you extra gold, so you're never just staring at a timer
  • Games generally last 10-20 minutes, so you never have those typical miserable MOBA experiences where you have to sit and watch your team slowly lose for 45 minutes
  • It is among the best-looking 2D games ever made. It's absurdly well-polished.
  • There are only 8 heroes, each of which has 1 attack and 2 skills, plus there's no item shop, so the learning curve is fast and painless
  • It's really fun

When you first play the game, it forces you to do a Really loving Stupid tutorial level that is just awful. You will be tempted to say "wow, this is garbage" and uninstall the game. The tutorial only lasts 5 minutes or so, so please just slog through it. Immediately after finishing the level, you can play normal practice games and see what the "real" game is about.

Here's a 21-minute gameplay video of a full match. This is the console version - the PC version looks a little better (much better GUI), plus the camera is a bit more zoomed out on PC (that's a good thing).

• It's really fast paced and sidescrolling, of course.
  • 3v3 only
  • Your level is determined by the amount of gold you've gotten (gold / 100).
  • No "ultimates." Each hero just has 2 skills. In my opinion, this is a good thing, I don't like the concept of an "ultimate skill" handed out at an arbitrary level, plus it punishes support heroes who generally level up slower
  • You buy all of your skills and upgrades from one shop, using gold. You don't get skills from leveling up. There are no recipes or anything, just really simple stuff (increase your hp for 135 gold, increase your walking speed for 135 gold, etc)
  • It's all peer-to-peer connections - d'oh!

So far there are 8 heroes, and Ronimo has already teased a 9th:

Lonestar is a terrific jack of all trades. He's a little OP at the moment, so expect some light nerfs in coming patches.

Jumping: Double jump, upgradeable to triple jump
Main Weapon: Pistol, can launch two homing missles if upgraded
Skill One: Lonestar throws sticks of dynamite.
Skill Two: Lonestar summons a holographic bull that pushes enemies back.

Typical strategies: Upgrading Lonestar's pistol so that it fires two homing missles is extremely effective and turns him into a huge damage dealer. His bull has several slowing upgrades, and if you invest in them all, enemies that get hit by your bull slow to an absolute crawl that lasts a long time. If you upgrade his dynamite so that you throw 3 sticks at once, you can deal 75 instant damage to enemies if you throw the dynamite while in close range.

My personal favorite, Froggy G is a fast rushing character who can stunlock enemies and deal hard damage. He's a dash-in-dash-out kind of guy.

Jumping: One high jump, can be upgraded to an Absurdly High Jump
Main Weapon: Water pistol, can be upgraded to shoot multiple bullets at once
Skill One: Froggy dashes in any direction, stunning any enemy he hits
Skill Two: Froggy spins like a tornado and deals heavy damage to all surrounding enemies

Typical strategies: If you upgrade your dash's stun duration and cooldown time, you can dash every 3 seconds and deal 1.5 seconds of stun with each dash. Since you're invulnerable while dashing, you become an absolute menace, and almost impossible to catch.

Leon is a backstabbing, often-invisible assassin-guy who deals heavy damage in close range.

Jumping: Normal single jump
Main Weapon: Blade, which can be upgraded to slow enemies
Skill One: Leon's tongue shoots out and can pull in distant enemies
Skill Two: Leon turns invisible and leaves a decoy where he last stood. He can stay invisible indefinitely, until he attacks

Typical strategies: There are a few ways to play Leon. You can rack up lots of kills with skillful use of the tongue. The most popular play style is to abuse the decoys he leaves when he goes invisible - they can be upgraded to attack and move around, so you can basically raise an army of attacking decoys.

Voltar is a healer who can also deal good damage with his drones.

Jumping: Single jump, but can then hover (think Peach in Mario 2)
Main Weapon: No main weapon, instead shoots a beam that heals allies
Skill One: Summon 1-3 drones that surround you and attack enemies with lasers
Skill Two: Drop a healing totem that heals all allies in a certain radius

Typical strategies: Voltar can actually do pretty big damage if he upgrades his drones to their maximum. However, Voltar is usually most effective when he focuses completely on healing his teammates. He can also heal creeps, so a good Voltar can push turrets with a huge wave of creeps.

Yuri is a great support / harrassment hero that can slow enemies, cover the arena with deadly mines, and slowly chip away at turrets from a safe distance.

Jumping: Can fly freely (has a jetpack) but easily knocked out of air
Main Weapon: Laser which deals more damage the longer it is activated
Skill One: Drop a mine (or several mines) on the field
Skill Two: A large bubble surrounds Yuri which can slow enemies and heal allies.

Typical strategies: Since Yuri is the only character that can fly freely and his mines can do huge damage, the most popular way to play Yuri is to stay as high as possible and drop mines everywhere. Be an rear end in a top hat!

Clunk is a heavy tank that can absorb a lot of damage and deal lots of damage in close range.

Jumping: Can fly for a short amount of time
Main Weapon: Shoots missles slowly that deal heavy damage
Skill One: Bite an enemy, which can stun it or steal life
Skill Two: Self destruct. Does huge damage in a big radius, but also deals damage to Clunk.

Typical strategies: Clunk's self-destruct is huge. The most typical way to play him is to rush into groups of enemies, bite to stun if possible, and blow yourself up. If you upgrade your self destruct so it does less damage to yourself and upgrade your maximum health, you can survive a lot of abuse.

Coco is one of the two new heroes. She's mainly a fast support hero, but can deal big damage to turrets.

Jumping: Normal single jump, goes pretty high
Main Weapon: Psychic melee damage which is continual, great against turrets
Skill One: Leave a trail of electricity behind you as you move
Skill Two: Shoot a ball of energy that you can explode at will.

Typical strategies: Coco's melee attack when upgraded can deal tremendous damage to turrets - a lot of players focus on mobility and taking down turrets quickly, leading to quick victory. If enemies try to chase her down, her electric blaze is terrific at slowing them and preventing chasing.

Derpl is a weird damage dealer who can transform into a stationary siege mode, giving him a powerful machine gun and a nuke. When he was first added to the game, he was considered pretty OP, so Ronimo nerfed him hastily. Expect lots of more changes to his skills in the future.

Jumping: Can fly for a short amount of time
Main Weapon: Shoots weak bouncing projectiles in standard mode and heavy damage bullets in siege mode
Skill One: Drop traps behind you that stun enemies for a few seconds. In siege mode, this skill slot shoots a nuke
Skill Two: Allows transformation into siege mode

Typical strategies: Drop stun traps everywhere, then when an enemy becomes trapped get into siege mode and go nuts with your machine gun and nuke.

gay

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FrickenMoron posted:

I don't see anything special for level 40ish really.

28 turns heal wave into a damaging attack
33 6s cooldown on drones
41 Healbot spawns health packs after timing out
53 +4 power on heal wave, costs loving 380
The damage upgrade suuuuucks unless it was changed - it removes the healing ability and adds a weak damage effect that's half again as slow as any other basic attack in the game... Unless they really upgraded it for PC, it's not worth it. The knockback upgrade was useful at times but not really desirable mostly.

FrickenMoron posted:

Well, you CAN have +30 damage on the dash but that means you sacrifice either cooldown or stun for example. Taking more damage upgrades means you trade in another perk of the attack.
I go for cooldown and stun duration, and then use the twister and teammates to deal the damage.

Mr.Success posted:

Do you just play on console? Only reason I ask is that you've talked about how bad Leon is, but I've read a lot of people mentioning how much better he is on PC because of things like aiming/auto attacking.

I'm not MLG Awesomenauts or anything, but Leon is clearly one of the stronger characters in the game and is completely dominating the leaderboards.
I do play on console however, I don't believe that I said Leon is "bad." I did say a few times that Leon is a character which is easy to point at and cry, while not realizing that almost everything he can do can be easily countered with a small amount of prudence and situational awareness. I also don't see how aiming and autoattacking would have anything to do with it, as his sword can only be aimed left and right, and his tongue was always good for pulling flyers out of the air or nabbing guys hiding behind turrets, etc. (if anything the aiming would make hi weaker since he only has one attack that can be aimed)

Leon is a newbie-farming machine, and he's not really an issue in most matches on console, because half of the players are experienced, and the other half are second or third prestige rank, and when I see someone complain about how worthless a character like Lonestar is, right before they bitch about Leon being overpowered in the same post... I don't really see why Leon is the problem.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 6, 2012

Chronomaster
Sep 24, 2006

coyo7e posted:

The damage upgrade suuuuucks unless it was changed - it removes the healing ability and adds a weak damage effect that's half again as slow as any other basic attack in the game... Unless they really upgraded it for PC, it's not worth it. The knockback upgrade was useful at times but not really desirable mostly.
I think they changed it. With the tiered heal maxed, the wave did 13 damage every .7 sec or something and it pierced so it seems better than most basic attacks.

quote:

I go for cooldown and stun duration, and then use the twister and teammates to deal the damage.
I'm still experimenting with his arrangement, but I'm running him kind of bursty. I know some people who swear by the splash upgrade and I'm not personally a fan of it.

Speaking of Voltar though, I'm not liking how just about any explosive damage counters his drones at half to a third of the cooldown. Lonestar's bull especially has it in for my drones, and even with the cooldown reduction he can still belt out two more of those bastards.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

I have to say the one thing that infuriates me about this game is the post match scoreboard area. In Super MNC you could actually chat with your team for a bit, and try to explain things, offer them help with strategies and playstyles etc. In this game it just bulldozes you out of the place with no real way to contact the people.

There've been a few genuinely new people I've wanted to chat with to give advice to and I've been unable to. :(

Other than that I'm absolutely addicted to playing Volt. It's incredibly satisfying to have the fully upgraded heal turret and to just be able to stand up to a confused Leon.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chronomaster posted:

I think they changed it. With the tiered heal maxed, the wave did 13 damage every .7 sec or something and it pierced so it seems better than most basic attacks.
But does it heal, as well?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 7, 2012

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Chronomaster posted:

Speaking of Voltar though, I'm not liking how just about any explosive damage counters his drones at half to a third of the cooldown. Lonestar's bull especially has it in for my drones, and even with the cooldown reduction he can still belt out two more of those bastards.

Losing the drones is annoying. I dislike how if I need to run up to a tower to put a healbot down for a push that my drones will just fly in front of the creep and agro the tower and get blown up.

Not even sure why I've been playing him, I don't even think he's that good, but I like support so gently caress me I guess. What does make him interesting is how you can switch your playstyle up to work with your team composition. Mostly just choosing between upgrading primarily your heal first (mostly if there's a derpl/clunk) or going drone straight away when you have a leon and frog running around everywhere (always).

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I love when other people pick him when I'm Froggy, because I can get really aggressive and come back to recover some health quick. He's already really good at hit and run, he's just even better when he doesn't have to worry how much health he loses in the process.

Mylakovich
Feb 25, 2008

Now more Modern
than ever before!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The AI in this game needs serious improvement, I feel like the practice rounds that I've played probably made me worse than better, even with the difficulty maxed. Lonestar doesn't use his dynamite at all, Leon doesn't do any stealth/clone stuff, and the AI never seems to pick Voltar at all.

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

That is some beautiful animation, right there.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

prom candy posted:

The AI in this game needs serious improvement, I feel like the practice rounds that I've played probably made me worse than better, even with the difficulty maxed. Lonestar doesn't use his dynamite at all, Leon doesn't do any stealth/clone stuff, and the AI never seems to pick Voltar at all.

Played a few practice rounds against bots today as Voltar, half the game they ran screaming from turrets even when I had their backs. The other half we were in the drill room with me plinking away at its health with my drones, then the bots decide to attack the remaining turret, getting them killed. They are pretty good for target practice though...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

then the bots decide to attack the remaining turret, getting them killed. They are pretty good for target practice though...

Haha, yeah I ran into the exact same thing today. The gameplay on Awesomenauts is excellent but some of the implementation details are a little lacking. There are a couple things that would take the game from good to great in my opinion.

- Proper matchmaking, similar to Dota 2. I was just in a round where a severely under-leveled Froggy G rage quit and so was replaced with an averaged out hero controlled by another player, completely negating our advantage. I'm not saying get rid of the drop in system, but there should be a mode where the expectation is that six people will play out an entire game.

- Drop the progressive unlock stuff, if your game is good you don't have to do that carrot on a stick nonsense. It's especially annoying considering that you can't practice on maps that you're liable to get dropped into if you play a real game.

- Improve the AI to at least use all their skills.

I'm not sure what kind of feedback they're getting in general but this game has the potential to eat a lot of my time if they put in proper matchmaking.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So how long would you guys say that this game will keep its community? I like it, I'm just worried it will disappear due to the pay-model.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So how long would you guys say that this game will keep its community? I like it, I'm just worried it will disappear due to the pay-model.

It's not like you have to keep paying, or there's anything else to buy. I imagine it'll die down a little and then shoot back up whenever there's a sale on the boxes.

If you're worried about the price point, find someone who has a gamersgate discount, and get one copy from a 3pack. It ends up being about 5.66 per copy that way.

Honestly I've already had more than 6bux worth of fun with the game, I'm not sure what amount of longevity you want guaranteed for that much.

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Was having a lot of fun playing as Yuri. I was taking over some games with him but then I ran into a decent froggy g and he would catch me with splash stun and then his clunk teammate used his stun + explode on me. The combo was giving me a lot of trouble, basically if I got hit by splash I wasn't going to leave the ground again and would die very fast.

Afterwards I played some froggy g myself to get some perspective and maybe figure out how to best avoid getting ganked on yuri. I'm just about to the conclusion that froggy is a counterpick to yuri, because I maxed out splash first in a couple games against yuris and there was nothing they could do pretty much. They would just fall to the ground and get destroyed. Actually, there were a lot of times I would stun an entire team and we would wipe them so froggy g is my new best bud. :frogc00l:

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Following the advice of someone on this thread, I went into a game running the laser-heavy Yuri build and drat is it fun! As luck would have it, I was matched against mine-Yuris a few times and I could just harass them non-stop. You could see the frustration on their faces when I lasered them and they tried to reach me only to realise they hadn't upgraded range yet. Got some sweet kills on a Derpl as well. Had no idea he could increase his Cat-shot frequency so much, though. That thing can be a machine gun of cats.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Couple tricks with Yuri:

In some situations you can quickly reactivate your jetpack before you fall very far

If you continuously fire your laser it'll keep you floating in place, even with the jetpack off

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
:siren: Attention Whiners: Patch 1.2 dropping this Friday, Leon being nerfed

From their Facebook page:
"Patch 1.2 for Awesomenauts PC is planned to drop this friday.This patch will include several balance changes, such as a nerf to Leon's attack. The patch will also address several leaderboard, networking and compatibility issues. A new character will be added shortly after this patch, probably in patch 1.3 or 1.4."

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

I hope they don't nerf him into the ground. My only problem with him, and maybe someone can offer some advice, is when towers are down and there is a clear path to the drill.

For every other character I can scout them on my way to pushing their base to make sure I don't get backdoored. Leon can go stealth and it's incredibly hard to punish his backdoor attempts. You can leave someone back to defend but then Leon can collapse creating a 2v3. When you do catch him, if you don't kill him in the duration of a stun he's going to restealth and regen. Not sure how to reliably end games in those situations.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
Anyone know specifics of what they're nerfing with Leon?

On the PC I haven't found him terribly OP, he's an assassin character and meant to do a lot of damage. What I hope they do instead of just nerf his damage is make his health bar even smaller. Make him easier to kill and force Leon players to play more cautiously.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I recently discovered the power of bull-Lonestar. If you take the size upgrade at level 1, you can easily get kills at the start by pushing enemies into your tower.

Mylakovich
Feb 25, 2008

Now more Modern
than ever before!

RedRupee posted:

Had no idea he could increase his Cat-shot frequency so much, though. That thing can be a machine gun of cats.

One game I never bothered to buy siege or nuke, I focused on move speed and HP. I played it safe killing creeps and jungling constantly, and running away from ganks. The cat grenades were pretty weak so the enemies were all over me with no fear.

When I had enough money I bought both damage upgrades and shot speed to max in one go. Now all of a sudden the cats are doing tons of damage and I could tell it caught the enemies off guard the first few times they died.

So there's something to be said about misleading player behavior.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I think that after this, Voltar needs some adjustment. He can cheese down turrets way too easily.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Kikka posted:

I think that after this, Voltar needs some adjustment. He can cheese down turrets way too easily.

The downside is that voltar is pretty weak himself, so if his team isn't good and sticks with him it's a lot of trouble.

Noi Albinoi
Nov 4, 2008
I find Leon easy to deal with as Clunk with the ensnare and self-destruct with slow. I can only imagine it's going to be even easier soon. :allears:

Anyone know what times goons are on the steam chat? Would love play some goon games because I am getting increasingly frustrated with the pubbies although there are some great team players out there. It just seems like such a low ratio.

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Noi Albinoi posted:

I find Leon easy to deal with as Clunk with the ensnare and self-destruct with slow. I can only imagine it's going to be even easier soon. :allears:

Anyone know what times goons are on the steam chat? Would love play some goon games because I am getting increasingly frustrated with the pubbies although there are some great team players out there. It just seems like such a low ratio.

Definitely interested in getting a team going. Still have a lot to learn as far as strategy I'm sure, but in regards to farming/killing I've been pub stomping with Froggy G so I should be of some use now.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Doing full 3v3 premades in this game seems pretty easy, so I would be up for scheduling full matches.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I want to play some goon games too. Sign me up!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kikka

Kikka fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 7, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kikka posted:

I'm not sure you're using "cheese" correctly. He's a healer. This is a push-the-creeps-across-the-map game. If you don't go kill the creeps he's supporting, he'll destroy turrets unopposed.. Just like anybody else can and would.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Echoing some sentiments in here about Leon being nerfed - I don't really mind him unless I'm playing Voltar - then I get a little frustrated. That being said, instead of nerfing his damage, the most effective nerf would be for his invisibilty to be slightly visible (kind of like the Predator running around) rather than nerfing his damage.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
Been playing this and it is quite fun. I hate the drop in/drop out system though. I can literally join in and a turret or two is already being destroyed. If they tweak how that works then this game is golden. Kind of wondering why they didn't op for a f2p game with purchasing of characters like LoL though.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

teknologik posted:

Kind of wondering why they didn't op for a f2p game with purchasing of characters like LoL though.

I've been hearing this a lot and I don't get why anyone is against spending :10bux: for a full game rather than spend small amounts along the way to get the full game bit by bit.

If it's simply to have a larger player base, I can understand that. But, $10 isn't that much to deter someone who might be vaguely interested in the game and I don't think the amount of players is suffering from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

Apple Jax posted:

I've been hearing this a lot and I don't get why anyone is against spending :10bux: for a full game rather than spend small amounts along the way to get the full game bit by bit.

If it's simply to have a larger player base, I can understand that. But, $10 isn't that much to deter someone who might be vaguely interested in the game and I don't think the amount of players is suffering from it.

It's not that, I just wonder if a f2p model would make them more money, which would result in more characters to select from.

• Locked thread