Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
They haven't said anything generally, but everyone that bought it is getting refunds processed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loconius
Oct 27, 2008
Awesome thread! my favorite of the final fantasy games is 12; though i bought 1 when it came out and i was sold on the franchise with 2/4 when it first came to SNES! awesome!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

:woop: Now for the other fucker.

Fire up Mute Sword and shove your Mystic Knight's preferred sword in his face.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
So... I'm playing FF13 and I think I'm reaching the point that people say it "gets good." My question is: is there anything worth spending money on except for the odd phoenix down? Is upgrading really worth it?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Camel Pimp posted:

So... I'm playing FF13 and I think I'm reaching the point that people say it "gets good." My question is: is there anything worth spending money on except for the odd phoenix down? Is upgrading really worth it?

You'll really want to upgrade your weapons somewhat, at least for three primary party members, and while they can all be upgraded to high stats some are definitely better than others. You can get away with not upgrading your accessories for the most part.

Baku fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 7, 2012

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Playing through FF XII Intl. version at the moment. I've only got the first Esper so far, but are they always this useless?

Any "you should know this before you play" hints? Kinda so-so as far as entertainment goes so far.

I can't help think that it'd be a better game if I just assume Balthier is the leading man, like he constantly suggests. Kicking myself for making him a Machinist though.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 7, 2012

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cyberbob posted:

Playing through FF XII Intl. version at the moment. I've only got the first Esper so far, but are they always this useless?

Pretty much. For some reason they went overboard trying to fix how effectively you can lean on summons in some of the older FF games by making them pretty terrible in 12 and 13.

Cyberbob posted:

I can't help think that it'd be a better game if I just assume Balthier is the leading man, like he constantly suggests. Kicking myself for making him a Machinist though.

Machinist is a fine class, it's really nice having somebody with the various item lores later and if you end up doing endgame optional content he can get Hastega and Slowga by taking Famfrit.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cyberbob posted:

They're even more useless in the vanilla version since you can't change their gambits or control them directly. The end game summons are actually pretty good but by the time you get them you've pretty much exhausted the list of things worth using them on.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Cyberbob posted:

Any "you should know this before you play" hints? Kinda so-so as far as entertainment goes so far.

Espers are situationally useful, at least in the International version where you can control them. They're all pretty much immune to all statuses, so for some enemies that like to spam status attacks Espers can just ignore them. Many of them are resistant or immune to elemental damage, and I can think of at least one place where that is REALLY useful. And since summoning doesn't drain your MP, you can just summon them, have them attack a while if you want, then use their "ultimate attack," which dismisses them but often can do good damage. Nice when you need just a bit more damage to finish off a hard mark. There are even a few places where you can summon an Esper, use a save crystal to restore your mist charges, then walk through a door into a boss fight. You can use their special attacks as a nice free opening move.

As for hints, do yourself a favor and look up how to make a Nihopalaoa in the Bazaar. Combined with a Remedy and a full set of Remedy lores, it can basically shut down most enemies, and almost feels like cheating.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nihopalaoa is really a game breaker.

In a game in which status effects are pretty useful, an item that lets you just inflict them all instantly is a bit overpowered.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Leovinus posted:

FF9 also has the most challenging superboss in the PSX series. I've only beaten him once, because he is an absolute fucker.

Have you tried the Friendly Yan posted earlier? :cheeky: I just picked up FF IX recently, having never gotten past the first disc. Enjoying it so far, but I doubt it'll displace VII in my mind.

(And I know you're referring to Ozma, watched a friend die to Satan's bouncy ball dozens of time)

EDIT: I'll go against the grain and recommend you don't use the Nihopalaoa, I never needed it to finish the game. Grab one if you're worried, I don't think it's necessary though.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Leovinus posted:

IX is definitely the best post-2D FF, if not the best game in the series. It tends towards being a little more restrictive than the other PSX games early on, but it's well-written, has an excellent cast, a good story, and a well-balanced battle system.

It also has my favourite villain in the series. That's probably a minority opinion, but whoever is your favourite antagonist, Kuja has the single best character arc out of any of them. (He's a dude, by the way. You might be confused about that early on but he's a dude).

What, by you, makes Kuja so good?

Not that I would disagree offhand, as I thought he was alright. Mind, the entire time I played I imagined his character as being delivered by David Bowie, which really just brings it all together beautifully.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Winks posted:

More FFVII PC stuff. Looks like the videos are better at least.

Old:

New:

I really more shots but this looks good.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

EDIT: I'll go against the grain and recommend you don't use the Nihopalaoa, I never needed it to finish the game. Grab one if you're worried, I don't think it's necessary though.

To hell with that. Use it at least once just to have the sheer visceral joy of seeing every goddamned status effect pop up on some poor sod. :black101:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Mazed posted:

What, by you, makes Kuja so good?

Not that I would disagree offhand, as I thought he was alright. Mind, the entire time I played I imagined his character as being delivered by David Bowie, which really just brings it all together beautifully.

Well, to put it simply, I'd say that he's the only FF villain (from the mainline series, anyway) that continues to develop as a character throughout the course of the game. All other FF villains have their motivations/character set in stone by the time you first see them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd say Golbez gets some development, though it's pretty much backloaded to the end of the game and of course isn't nearly as extensive as Kuja's. But he does have a nice arc from villain to seeking redemption and forgiveness from Cecil.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pureauthor posted:

Well, to put it simply, I'd say that he's the only FF villain (from the mainline series, anyway) that continues to develop as a character throughout the course of the game. All other FF villains have their motivations/character set in stone by the time you first see them.

Vayne also gets some development. The problem is that you hardly see him during the thin, thin plot the game has.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Does Rinoa count? :D

Edit: If you buy into the whole Rinoa = Ultimecia thing.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 7, 2012

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Have you tried the Friendly Yan posted earlier? :cheeky: I just picked up FF IX recently, having never gotten past the first disc. Enjoying it so far, but I doubt it'll displace VII in my mind.

(And I know you're referring to Ozma, watched a friend die to Satan's bouncy ball dozens of time)

Friendly Yan makes Ozma a lot more tolerable, but there are reasons why he still screws so many people over.

1. Curse inflicts Mini on everyone with a 100% success rate. Since you can't block the status, you have to cure it either using Mini or Angel's Snack, or using Remedies manually. You can also Trance to cure it, but the chances of everyone Trancing at the same time is really low, and if, say, one character Trances and three don't, you have to cure each of them manually if you're not using Angel's Snack. The upside is that some characters don't care much about Mini (Zidane, Freya, and Quina).

2. Meteor can screw you up no matter what level you are, since the damage is random. Your only means of protecting yourself from it is simply getting more HP. Shell doesn't even work.

3. Ozma has a unique speed system. While it gets turns like any other enemy, it also instantly fills its ATB gauge immediately before a character's turn, and it will attack before that character. So if you input commands for 4 characters, that's 4 attacks, and a 5th and possibly 6th one before you can heal up. The only way to avoid it is if you input commands during Ozma's attack's animations. While you can do this for some, like Doomsday or Meteor, some attack animations are so short you can barely get off 1 (like Curse).

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Loconius posted:

Awesome thread! my favorite of the final fantasy games is 12; though i bought 1 when it came out and i was sold on the franchise with 2/4 when it first came to SNES! awesome!

It'd be really cool to hear your experience with FF1 when it had just come out :)

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

Friendly Yan makes Ozma a lot more tolerable, but there are reasons why he still screws so many people over.

1. Curse inflicts Mini on everyone with a 100% success rate. Since you can't block the status, you have to cure it either using Mini or Angel's Snack, or using Remedies manually. You can also Trance to cure it, but the chances of everyone Trancing at the same time is really low, and if, say, one character Trances and three don't, you have to cure each of them manually if you're not using Angel's Snack. The upside is that some characters don't care much about Mini (Zidane, Freya, and Quina).

2. Meteor can screw you up no matter what level you are, since the damage is random. Your only means of protecting yourself from it is simply getting more HP. Shell doesn't even work.

3. Ozma has a unique speed system. While it gets turns like any other enemy, it also instantly fills its ATB gauge immediately before a character's turn, and it will attack before that character. So if you input commands for 4 characters, that's 4 attacks, and a 5th and possibly 6th one before you can heal up. The only way to avoid it is if you input commands during Ozma's attack's animations. While you can do this for some, like Doomsday or Meteor, some attack animations are so short you can barely get off 1 (like Curse).

Geez, I never realized the mechanics behind how difficult Ozma is but now it makes complete sense why I had so much trouble beating him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ozma is the best super-boss in the series, because instead of being a massive pile of HP with a few mildly threatening attacks, it will absolutely gently caress you over from the get go for all the reasons already listed. FF9 is truly the best :allears:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Has there been any word on whether this FFVII release has a new translation? This is the weirdest, least reported on re-release I've ever seen, and I'm not touching it without a new translation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wendell posted:

Has there been any word on whether this FFVII release has a new translation? This is the weirdest, least reported on re-release I've ever seen, and I'm not touching it without a new translation.

The PC version had a different, less retarded translation compared to the PSX version, which I remember being alright. It did, however, have creepy open mouths on everyone. :gonk:

But yeah, this re-release is kind of strange, even if we still don't know much about it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Ozma is the best super-boss in the series, because instead of being a massive pile of HP with a few mildly threatening attacks, it will absolutely gently caress you over from the get go for all the reasons already listed. FF9 is truly the best :allears:

I would put forward that Omega and Shinryu both have absolutely devastating attack patterns, they just both also have crippling weaknesses that let them be circumvented (Omega's susceptibility to being two-rounded with !X-Fight + Bolt3 Spellblade, Shinryu's Berserk susceptibility). Encircle is one of the most bullshit abilities in the series, IMO. (Next to Grand Cross)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ozma only has about 60k HP in a game where almost every character can do 9999 damage though.

Zidane, Quina and Freya have guaranteed attacks that can do 9999, and Vivi, Steiner, Dagger (and Eiko?) unlock very strong attacks that usually do 9999.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress that self-reviving trio. Time to go get a magic lamp. :(

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ozma only has about 60k HP in a game where almost every character can do 9999 damage though.

Zidane, Quina and Freya have guaranteed attacks that can do 9999, and Vivi, Steiner, Dagger (and Eiko?) unlock very strong attacks that usually do 9999.

Yeah, exactly. The challenge is getting an opportunity to get those attacks in.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Absolute Virtue is the best superboss, because if every tactic used with any success is declared by the devs to be cheating, it's gotta be great. :shepface:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mazed posted:

Absolute Virtue is the best superboss, because if every tactic used with any success is declared by the devs to be cheating, it's gotta be great. :shepface:

I never understood this mentality. Why have a boss that's not supposed to be beaten? And why punish people who figure out how to beat the boss? Like, we're the methods used to beat AV actually cheating or did some developer just have a hissy fit?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think I pretty much finished Final Fantasy V. Beat the game (actually defeated Omega and Shinryu before getting to Exdeath), got through the sealed temple and beat all the secret bosses in there. I usually don't do a ton of the extra post-game, but I just really liked playing FFV. I enjoyed the combat and the job system was a lot of fun to play around with.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ApplesandOranges posted:

As I was informed after reloading like twenty times and beating Ozma, completing the Friendly Monster sidequest will make Ozma vulnerable to Dark-element (meaning its Doomsday will do 9999 to itself as well) rather than absorbent to it. You probably want to reload until it opens with Doomsday anyway so you have enough time to input your entire first round, meaning that barring any weird Curagas, Ozma will be a delicious one hit away from victory (two if you open with an offensive Reflect to prevent said Curagas).

Still, I dunno how folks can do that level one challenge against Ozma. That poo poo must be poo poo, I can't imagine attempting that fight without Auto-Reflect and Auto-Life.

quote:

gently caress Meteor that poo poo will wipe your party instantly and because of Ozma's stats, it either has a 99.5% success rate (((level 99/2) + max Spirit (50))%) or is just straight-up a variant version with a hard 100% success rate.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 7, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kyrosiris posted:

I would put forward that Omega and Shinryu both have absolutely devastating attack patterns, they just both also have crippling weaknesses that let them be circumvented (Omega's susceptibility to being two-rounded with !X-Fight + Bolt3 Spellblade, Shinryu's Berserk susceptibility). Encircle is one of the most bullshit abilities in the series, IMO. (Next to Grand Cross)

Omega also has a a crippling weakness to Stop. Use Romeo's Ballad and you can easily disable him.

But then there's Neo Shinryu in the sealed Temple. That boss is nasty and has no trick to circumvent him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Still, I dunno how folks can do that level one challenge against Ozma. That poo poo must be poo poo, I can't imagine attempting that fight without Auto-Reflect and Auto-Life.

There's a pretty good guide for it on gamefaqs. Low level isn't really an issue because most attacks (like meteor) would kill you anyway, and others can be easily mitigated or avoided. One attack, Flare Star, is actually level based so it does less damage. And you can obviously do 9999 damage with three characters anyway, and speed isn't an issue due to Ozma's gimmick.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Cyberbob posted:

Since you're playing IZJS, they do get better. Belias is the weakest one, and gives the worst licenses, because he's the first. Six of the elemental espers are weak (minus holy and dark), but almost all of the rest are good.

Dr Pepper posted:

Omega also has a a crippling weakness to Stop. Use Romeo's Ballad and you can easily disable him.

But then there's Neo Shinryu in the sealed Temple. That boss is nasty and has no trick to circumvent him.

If you can kill Omega Mk II, which has the same weakness to Stop, he drops the Force Shield, which nullifies all 8 elements. In the first 2/3 of the fight, Neo Shinryu uses all 8 elements, so this is pretty much the perfect item for him.

Since I had Black Mage and Dragoon on my Fiesta playthrough, I used the setup of Dragon Lance, Force Shield, any helmet, Bone Mail, and Running Shoes. In the first part, very little could hurt my Dragoon, but when it happened I could cast Death on myself to heal. After taking 40000 damage Neo Shinryu switches to an all-physical pattern, but I had two advantages there. First, the Dragon Lance always did 9999, so I got as far past that trigger as possible before activating it. Second, in the first half I purposely let everyone else get zombified, so haha Neo Shinryu I ripped off your dummy targets gimmick.

Neo Shinryu's death cast of Gigaflare was shockingly weak and did only ~1500 damage.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Leovinus posted:

IX is definitely the best post-2D FF, if not the best game in the series. It tends towards being a little more restrictive than the other PSX games early on, but it's well-written, has an excellent cast, a good story, and a well-balanced battle system.

It also has my favourite villain in the series. That's probably a minority opinion, but whoever is your favourite antagonist, Kuja has the single best character arc out of any of them. (He's a dude, by the way. You might be confused about that early on but he's a dude).

FF9 also has the most challenging superboss in the PSX series. I've only beaten him once, because he is an absolute fucker.
If it's a minority opinion, it shouldn't be. Kuja is an incredible villain.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man it sucks that I can only equip like three of the holy weapons near the endgame. :smith:

I can't use Excalibur or Masamune. I wanted to use them, dammit. How come MK can't equip them!?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

I never understood this mentality. Why have a boss that's not supposed to be beaten? And why punish people who figure out how to beat the boss? Like, we're the methods used to beat AV actually cheating or did some developer just have a hissy fit?

Developers threw a hissy fit because they glitched out AV into a spot where it was unable to dekite but was outside of its aggro range so it basically just sat there for the most part. There is a legitimate way to beat it but it took a while for players to figure out what you had to do in order to drop its defenses and attacks although that strategy very well might not have actually been implemented at the time given the lack of care SE displayed for programming their game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Man it sucks that I can only equip like three of the holy weapons near the endgame. :smith:

I can't use Excalibur or Masamune. I wanted to use them, dammit. How come MK can't equip them!?

They don't need to since they can already equip the best weapon in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Barudak posted:

Developers threw a hissy fit because they glitched out AV into a spot where it was unable to dekite but was outside of its aggro range so it basically just sat there for the most part. There is a legitimate way to beat it but it took a while for players to figure out what you had to do in order to drop its defenses and attacks.

Well that seems more like a fault with the developers than the players. They didn't bug test the system enough, players found an exploitable glitch, devs flip poo poo and ban said players. I'm starting to not regret leaving FFXI as much.