Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

fookolt posted:

With a single GTX670, you'll still be playing at 1920x1200 for anything really stressful :v:

Still, I'm a huge believer in 2560*1xx0 27-30" displays.

You don't really need to turn AA on, which is quite rough on the gpu. I have a 7950 and intend to just use a Korean monitor without AA for most games. Though I also don't play bf3 or any GPS where frame rate matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Why would you not want to play any video game at the max settings with 16x Anti-Aliasing? :colbert:

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Would this monitor,ASUS VS247H-P, be good enough for my SA, news and blog reading? I also play Diablo 3 but have no plans to watch any movies on it. I assume it's OK since my 5 year old Dell monitors seem to be OK.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I'm leaning really hard towards taking the plunge on a 27" Korean panel to replace the glossy-finish HP that's currently driving me mad.

Currently what I'm after is:
-Matte-finish
-Able to be VESA mounted (suggestions for an arm that can take a panel this size?)
-Hdmi or displayport would be nice, but not a hundred dollar premium nice
-Minimal frills besides the aforementioned port preference

With those things in mind would I be best suited looking for any particular one? The Auria on Microcenter is a tad expensive and I'm not clear if it's glossy finished or not but otherwise it looks like about what the doctor ordered. Is there anything I'm missing from the eBay offerings that might be better?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

azzenco posted:

Would this monitor,ASUS VS247H-P, be good enough for my SA, news and blog reading? I also play Diablo 3 but have no plans to watch any movies on it. I assume it's OK since my 5 year old Dell monitors seem to be OK.

In a similar vein, this Asus LED IPS is the same price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236288

Is it rear end?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Martello posted:

Why would you not want to play any video game at the max settings with 16x Anti-Aliasing? :colbert:

Because until this year I didn't have a computer that could do that anyway at any (playable) resolution, and on a screen with pixels that small, how the poo poo would you notice?

e:

the yeti posted:

I'm leaning really hard towards taking the plunge on a 27" Korean panel to replace the glossy-finish HP that's currently driving me mad.

Currently what I'm after is:
-Matte-finish
-Able to be VESA mounted (suggestions for an arm that can take a panel this size?)
-Hdmi or displayport would be nice, but not a hundred dollar premium nice
-Minimal frills besides the aforementioned port preference

Pretty sure all Korean models are glossy (with tempered glass being more glossy than others).

They are all vesa mountable, or the ebay ads will say if they are/aren't. QNIX, Matrix Neo, look like the easiest to swap stands (theirs go into the VESA holes already).

HDMI/DP, you'll need the Nexius, Auria, or one of the multi input ones on fleabay. And they're still the hundred dollar premium.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 7, 2012

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Just pulled the the trigger on one of those Corean 30 inchers for ~$680. My 4 year old Samsung 1900x1200 just decided to begin dying a slow death a few days ago. Then again it has survived a move across the country, and 2 more subsequent moves. Rest in peace, old friend; may you find that eternal backlight in the sky.

I'm not too optimistic about dead pixels considering the price but from what I've gathered from other forums people can and do get flawless panels. Yes, it is a sizable premium over those 27 inchers but hey, when you're hellbent for 16:10, nothing else will do.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Seamonster posted:

Just pulled the the trigger on one of those Corean 30 inchers for ~$680. My 4 year old Samsung 1900x1200 just decided to begin dying a slow death a few days ago. Then again it has survived a move across the country, and 2 more subsequent moves. Rest in peace, old friend; may you find that eternal backlight in the sky.

I'm not too optimistic about dead pixels considering the price but from what I've gathered from other forums people can and do get flawless panels. Yes, it is a sizable premium over those 27 inchers but hey, when you're hellbent for 16:10, nothing else will do.

Also, the pixels are so drat tiny that you would have to really squint at your beautiful, gigantic display to find a dead pixel.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

fookolt posted:

Also, the pixels are so drat tiny that you would have to really squint at your beautiful, gigantic display to find a dead pixel.
A 30" monitor at 2560x1600 is about 100 DPI so the pixels are the same size as ones on a 22" at 1920x1080. I'm sure it would be easy enough to find them.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

A 30" monitor at 2560x1600 is about 100 DPI so the pixels are the same size as ones on a 22" at 1920x1080. I'm sure it would be easy enough to find them.

Oh, I stand corrected. Still, it took me about 3 years to find a dead pixel on my 30" :shobon:

In other news, one of the Korean 27's just came in. No dead pixels for $318 and free expedited shipping? Amazing.

Here's the page if anyone's interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140808076771

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

fookolt posted:

Oh, I stand corrected. Still, it took me about 3 years to find a dead pixel on my 30" :shobon:

In other news, one of the Korean 27's just came in. No dead pixels for $318 and free expedited shipping? Amazing.

That's what I'm looking at getting as well. Perhaps 2, and make the hd4000 power one.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Tedronai66 posted:

That's what I'm looking at getting as well. Perhaps 2, and make the hd4000 power one.

Maybe it's my motherboard, but my external GPU (Radeon HD5450 I think) wouldn't work simultaneously with my onboard.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

fookolt posted:

Maybe it's my motherboard, but my external GPU (Radeon HD5450 I think) wouldn't work simultaneously with my onboard.

I'm using mine simultaneously right now at home: 1920x1200 on gpu (7950), 1680x1050 on hd4000. Though I think the hd4000 will only do 2560x1xx0 over displayport.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Tedronai66 posted:

I'm using mine simultaneously right now at home: 1920x1200 on gpu (7950), 1680x1050 on hd4000. Though I think the hd4000 will only do 2560x1xx0 over displayport.

Huh, that's interesting. I tried enabling it in BIOS, but it just wouldn't work. Maybe I'll try again.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

fookolt posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I tried enabling it in BIOS, but it just wouldn't work. Maybe I'll try again.

After enabling it in bios, did you download and install the Intel display drivers? When I was getting up my triple monitors setup, that's something I forgot to do.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

unpronounceable posted:

After enabling it in bios, did you download and install the Intel display drivers? When I was getting up my triple monitors setup, that's something I forgot to do.

I already had the drivers installed (I put a card in after already using the integrated chipset).

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Will two GTX 670s be enough to run a pair of 30 inch UltraSharps?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Martello posted:

Will two GTX 670s be enough to run a pair of 30 inch UltraSharps?

One GTX670 can run two 30" 2560x1600 displays.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Didn't you tell me I needed more than a single GTX 670? You said:

fookolt posted:

With a single GTX670, you'll still be playing at 1920x1200 for anything really stressful :v:

:confused:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Finding capacitors for my flickering monitor is a bit more difficult that I originally thought.
Up in my area of Canada, it seems the prevalent monitors being sold are Samsung, Asus, Benq, and LG.
I've been told that Samsung uses lesser quality parts/screens, so I'm on the fence with them. Does anyone here have good/bad experience with Samsung?

I currently have a 22 inch 1680X1050 monitor with a 6780 Vid card.
I'm thinking up jumping up to 27 inch, but think I'd need to upgrade the vid card as well. I mostly use the PC for gaming.
With a 27 inch monitor at 1080p, is it pretty safe to say I'll need a better vid card if I still want to play games at high to ultra?

Here's the monitor I'm looking at:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX38429

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 7, 2012

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

I am looking at some warrantied monitors on ebay. They come with 60 days from dell, with ~$30 for 2 years from squaretrade. Has anyone used this squaretrade before, and are they good about owning up to issues?

Is it a bad idea to buy 2 refub monitors that only have a 60 day warranty?

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 8, 2012

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Was gonna buy 2 U2412M's but now considering buying just one of those korean 27's. Who is the best ebay seller to buy from for the catleap? I see dreamseller is only selling the white ones, ick.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
You might find the 27 not much bigger than the U2412M's, since the dells are 16:10 and the koreans are 16:9 - the 3 inches are almost exclusively horizontal space, which may not be useful screen estate depending on your application, especially vs a dual monitor setup.

Here's a visual comparison: http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-16x10-vs-27-inch-16x9

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Martello posted:

Didn't you tell me I needed more than a single GTX 670? You said:

:confused:

Oh! For simply running two 30 inch 2560x1600 displays, you can use one card.

But to play a lot of the really photorealistic games on one of them at 2560x1600, you need SLI/CrossFire.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BusinessWallet posted:

Was gonna buy 2 U2412M's but now considering buying just one of those korean 27's. Who is the best ebay seller to buy from for the catleap? I see dreamseller is only selling the white ones, ick.

He's still selling the non-white ones (white looks a lot better to me though), but I can't say I'd recommend buying from him. He's still yet to ship mine that I ordered on the 28th but keeps sending me ebay messages saying "korean vacation extended so sorry we'll refund $5 if you accept", so far he's done it twice and given me $10 back. I chose dream-seller because he had the reputation of wrapping the boxes in bubble wrap built for a tank, but this is getting ridiculous.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

fookolt posted:

drat, how's the OSD on it? Mentions that it has one unlike some of the cheaper ones... I'm almost leaping at that, just got my tax return.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Addict posted:

I am looking at some warrantied monitors on ebay. They come with 60 days from dell, with ~$30 for 2 years from squaretrade. Has anyone used this squaretrade before, and are they good about owning up to issues?

Is it a bad idea to buy 2 refub monitors that only have a 60 day warranty?

I've used squaretrade before for my old DLP television and it was the worst warranty experience imaginable. Google them and you'll see a ton of horror stories. Mostly what they do is try to reduce the warranty claims by any means necessary, hanging up on you even if you're speaking civil, deny they received faxed documentation, etc. If you keep on them long enough eventually they'll just cancel the warranty and refund you the cost of it, which doesn't really help you at all as now you're stuck with a broken electronic that you might not have even bought had you of known it wasn't going to have a warranty.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

fookolt posted:

But to play a lot of the really photorealistic games on one of them at 2560x1600, you need SLI/CrossFire.

Oh, ok, got it. So because I do play a lot of current-gen games, I definitely need to get that second 670. Cool.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

drat, how's the OSD on it? Mentions that it has one unlike some of the cheaper ones... I'm almost leaping at that, just got my tax return.
The panel itself looks identical to my PCBank, in which case the "controls" adjust brightness, volume, and nothing else.

It has less tilt than my PCBank (double-hinge stand design) but it has swivel, which I'm kind of really jealous of. :colbert:

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

Finding capacitors for my flickering monitor is a bit more difficult that I originally thought.

Did you check eBay? There are several sellers that will sell repair kits or capacitor kits cheaply and ship worldwide.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Dell released new 27 inch Ultrasharp model.. Apparently it uses AH-IPS panels. Hopefully AnandTech will review this soon.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

The panel itself looks identical to my PCBank, in which case the "controls" adjust brightness, volume, and nothing else.

It has less tilt than my PCBank (double-hinge stand design) but it has swivel, which I'm kind of really jealous of. :colbert:

Oh well, no worse than the others then at least on that front - thought it might be a nice bonus though.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

fookolt posted:

My friend plays a shitload of games at 2560x1440 with one 680, most at max (except AA, which is usually off/2x, and not really needed). 670 isn't that far behind. I'd say try it first and decide.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

298298 posted:

He's still selling the non-white ones (white looks a lot better to me though), but I can't say I'd recommend buying from him. He's still yet to ship mine that I ordered on the 28th but keeps sending me ebay messages saying "korean vacation extended so sorry we'll refund $5 if you accept", so far he's done it twice and given me $10 back. I chose dream-seller because he had the reputation of wrapping the boxes in bubble wrap built for a tank, but this is getting ridiculous.

Troubling. I ordered a monitor from dream-seller on the 27th and after one "literally the entire nation of Korea goes on vacation" email, I've heard nothing since. Other reviews on the internet say they never get tracking info and the monitor just arrives one day, so I'm trying to stay optimistic. No recent negative feedback on eBay though so that's good.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
You can always contact them as well inquiring about status.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Tedronai66 posted:

My friend plays a shitload of games at 2560x1440 with one 680, most at max (except AA, which is usually off/2x, and not really needed). 670 isn't that far behind. I'd say try it first and decide.

I swear to god, if one more person tells me I don't need to turn all the sliders ALL THE WAY UP...:argh:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Also, AA not really needed? 2x MSAA barely makes a dent on the quality, I always strive for 4x MSAA when possible (which is most of the time).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

serebralassazin posted:

Dell released new 27 inch Ultrasharp model.. Apparently it uses AH-IPS panels. Hopefully AnandTech will review this soon.

hmmm, really really curious to hear about this. I'm in the market and wanting something that I can at least do some basic calibration to for photo editing and gaming.

Are there any good write-ups on the AH-IPS technology in general and how it improves on IPS?

Can't wait to read a review and see these on sale... have to decide between this and a pair of 24" displays I'm thinking.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Also, AA not really needed? 2x MSAA barely makes a dent on the quality, I always strive for 4x MSAA when possible (which is most of the time).

At > 100dpi, my blind rear end has a hard time telling a goddamn difference.

And for the sliders, I'm used to not turning them all the way up, though I do now :v: (and probably until I get a Korean panel this fall)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

VodeAndreas posted:

I...don't think it has one? The two buttons to the left of the "v" and "^" buttons don't do poo poo. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

fookolt fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 25, 2014