Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Barudak posted:

Developers threw a hissy fit because they glitched out AV into a spot where it was unable to dekite but was outside of its aggro range so it basically just sat there for the most part. There is a legitimate way to beat it but it took a while for players to figure out what you had to do in order to drop its defenses and attacks although that strategy very well might not have actually been implemented at the time given the lack of care SE displayed for programming their game.

The weird thing about so many of SE's MMOs is they don't seem to actually play them. They're getting better at that, and a big catalyst was the blowback from Absolute Virtue and a huger one when XIV crashed and burned, but I've been playing XI a bit recently and even with all the improvements there is a stunning amount of things in that game that are just bullshit inconveniences. A decade later, still no "price history" button when you select an item to sell on the auction house, for starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

Well that seems more like a fault with the developers than the players. They didn't bug test the system enough, players found an exploitable glitch, devs flip poo poo and ban said players. I'm starting to not regret leaving FFXI as much.

No reason to regret leaving, the guy who made the poo poo version of FFXI and the poo poo version of FFXIV are the same guy and things like that are his calling card. He is a real, real crappy producer and the fact that SE allows him to continue to draw a paycheck is a terrible business decision.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Barudak posted:

No reason to regret leaving, the guy who made the poo poo version of FFXI and the poo poo version of FFXIV are the same guy and things like that are his calling card. He is a real, real crappy producer and the fact that SE allows him to continue to draw a paycheck is a terrible business decision.

He is now executive of the vending machines in the break room, thankfully.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

He is now executive of the vending machines in the break room, thankfully.

Which sounded fine until he made it so that the break room vending machines are refilled on a 14 hour cycle with random contents, most of which are garbage, and the machine itself requires a group of 6 trained men just to feed in enough money to spit out a drink.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Barudak posted:

Which sounded fine until he made it so that the break room vending machines are refilled on a 14 hour cycle with random contents, most of which are garbage, and the machine itself requires a group of 6 trained men just to feed in enough money to spit out a drink.

All of which whom possess the item in the vending machine already, of course.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah basically the guy who was the source of all the problems FFXI and FFXIV had (You can tell because the moment he stopped working on them the games got better) has retired.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Care to give a brief overview of how he made them bad and how they improved when he left? I've never played either game.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Fister Roboto posted:

Care to give a brief overview of how he made them bad and how they improved when he left? I've never played either game.

The person Dr Pepper is referring to is/was the Producer on both games, Hiromichi Tanaka. It's somewhat of a myth that he is "the source of all the problems" since the Producer is simply the person who oversee's the grand scope of the project, and simply gives approval towards decisions and designs created by the Design and Direction team. A lot of people claim that the flaws/bad design decisions/terrible gameplay aspects of both games were directly caused by Tanaka, which is really not entirely the case (Though he could be blamed for APPROVING them in most cases).

And for the brief overview it basically boils down to;

1) Tanaka is Producer on FF11 (from the start, and for a very long time, almost a decade)
2) FF11 begins to become stagnant for a long-period of time, with no transparency between Developers and the Community on upcoming changes.
3) Tanaka leaves the FF11 Team to work as Producer on the newly announced FF14
4) During his absence, FF11 sees a welcomed surge in new features, balance changes, and mini-expansions which became immensely popular and fun.
5) FF14 is released, and is a total utter and abysmal failure, both commercially and critically, for far too many reasons to list.
6) Tanaka is "respectfully removed" from the role as Producer on FF14 and is replaced by Naoki Yoshida.
7) Tanaka returns to the FF11 team as Producer once more
8) FF11's new content is "coincidentally" deemed bad by the community in comparison to the content created during Tanaka's absence. (Despite the Producer not being the one who designs the content...)

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Barudak's joke about the vending machines is basically how all of FFXI plays, and even after they've at least made it not so soulcrushingly difficult to gain levels, most of the other forms of advancement in that game (be able to ride chocobos, raise your level limit, be able to access expansion areas, unlock jobs--keep in mind there's a lot of things that aren't just given to you like most MMOs, you have to do some quest for them) require you to get a high level friend (or more) to help you do things like farm up some 5% drop rate item and find a chest that is randomly scattered somewhere, or sneak your way through an area with aggressive monsters that are twice your level.

And those are the fun things, within the game mechanics. Travel is notoriously slow, and there is a major lack of quality of life improvements. Some that have been fixed include that there used to be a lot of "level cap" content that restricts your main level so that it stays a challenge. A neat idea but until fairly recently you could only equip equipment under that level cap, and inventory space was at a premium because "PS2 limitations". Thankfully the new director mysteriously figured out how to triple inventory space effectively, and also how to master the arcane arts of "division" to push gear stats down to the level cap.

Oh and partying, oh god, back in the day if you weren't WHM, RDM, or BRD basically (or for periods of time some broken jobs that cost ridiculous amounts of gil to play, like NIN or RNG) expect to wait around for 4+ hours for a party invitation, especially if you don't have friends to tell you what to do like the guy in the article linked a couple of pages ago that gave up on the game because nobody would party with a RDM/WAR because that is a bad combination. Partying to gain levels used to be required after level 10, and was a tedious process. You had to stick around this outpost town in the middle of gently caress all nowhere that was difficult to get to at level 10 (a good 30m+ to get there if you DIDN'T get ganked by an aggressive monster on the way) and adding moogles that let you change jobs and access your inventory storage wasn't added until the last few months of that area being viable anymore. Oh and you didn't even have the option to access a "subjob" in the aforementioned terrible RDM/WAR combo for instance, until you collected 3 drops from different monsters all in different areas that a level 18 (minimum level for quest) would have to be in a full and balanced party of people the same level to even defeat (of course generally high level friends help out instead).

Later on this doesn't get easier as you go back to level more jobs. You need to be level 15 to ride chocobos from the city, after you have a license, and generally one wanted to head over to the group levelling area at level 10, 12 at the absolute latest. There's an outpost right there that one can teleport to if they do a quest when their nation controls it (Windurstians such as myself were frequently out of luck because to gain control you need "Signet" cast on you to gain points for your region when killing monsters and being not much less than 2 hours away from where one can get "Signet" and at low levels it lasts about 2 hours so that never ever happened) except you couldn't teleport there without being on a level 20+ job, you know, the level when you pack up and leave the area for the next leveling area.

Speaking of Windurst, die-hard Windurstians like me had the extra pleasure of having to ride this boat that only showed up every 30 minutes that often had things that would kill you spawn on it. You could stay safe in the hull during the ride, but BORING. I personally arrived to my destination dead on multiple occasions! Of course, getting to this boat is a long path filled with danger.

Experience earned is a function of how low a level the highest level person in the party is compared to what you killed, so any range larger than about 3 levels completely destroys experience for everyone, and there was no way to sync levels until fairly recently.

Oh so once one finally got a couple of jobs to level 20 they got the pleasure of running through some really high level areas full of things that kill you just by looking at you--so better hope if that happens you have another hour to kill to keep running, and your party didn't drop right when you hit 20 because you can lose levels when you die if you don't have enough buffer experience--to get to the big city to do a quest that requires waiting around for 4+ real life hours to be able to purchase and ride chocobos.

There used to be 4 different auction houses in each home country and in the Big City, and they weren't linked until VERY recently. Travelling between these areas is time consuming and difficult, even if you had an Airship Pass that required either forking over half a million gil or getting to a certain point in the story quests that are impossible to solo by the time you want the pass, and there were no websites like ffxiah.com to tell you if other areas even had what you needed. Many people (myself even, for a time) paid an extra $1/mo each for mules in each city to move goods around. Also still to this day, if you want to sell something and see the going rate, you have to look at your item list, decide what to sell, then navigate through an extremely obtuse and unsearchable list of categories to find the item you want to sell (and you have to wait for every item from the entire category to load before you can even look in that category, or sort by name instead of gently caress-knows-what) then select it to get a "Price History" button. This is not fixed to this day.

Items also used to not sort into stacks automatically, so if you somehow picked up on that you need to talk to the dude by the gate and get "Signet" on you to get crystals which are a thing that will help you get some starting cash, you'd fill up your 30 starting inventory slots quickly and start losing drops and not realize you have to go to the menu, go to items, then push the square button or +, and select sort periodically to stack up your crystals and put your items in a cohesive order.

While a lot of this stuff has been fixed, what with a level sync feature, a moogle in the outpost town, NPCs that store gear sets and many level caps being removed or when they're still there, simply limiting the effectiveness of your higher level equipment, allowing for more solo leveling and floating books that give you continuous kill quests with huge xp rewards that you can do in large groups (and often just afk while a few people in the group do the killing), allowing warping to outposts at the minimum level instead of maximum, some of this stuff still persists for better or for worse, such as the chocobo license.

Keep in mind of course that I'm harping on the bullshit annoyances and there ARE redeeming qualities to this game. The zone design is incredible, some of the quests and the actual loss for failure (losing items that are hard to get or expensive on a failed attempt, or experience points, or having to run back through a huge and dangerous area again) have led to some of the most exciting experiences of any game I've played--I'll always remember the summoner trial-size avatar battles and pre-nerf Promivyon Spire quests (these are from an expansion pack and require your party to go through a dangerous area level capped, and it gets harder as you get near the top, where you have to fight a difficult boss) extremely fondly just for how tense and exciting they are in a way that you just don't get from games without the potential to lose anything. In summary, Final Fantasy XI: Final Fantasy Online With Catgirls is Stockholm Syndrome: The Game.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Pasteurized Milk posted:

You could easily convince me that Hope was a girl.

I'd enjoy the irony that fanboys would suddenly find her behavior ~moe~ as gently caress even though it wouldn't be any less annoying.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Happy Blue Cow posted:

6) Tanaka is "respectfully removed" from the role as Producer on FF14 and is replaced by Naoki Yoshida.

A thing to point out is this is the same guy who was producer when FFXI became fun. He's now fixed Tanaka's MMO mistakes twice.

As for issues in FFXI it basically boils down to the game did not care about balance, GUI, competitors, proper instance size, leveling progression, quest content, or solo play, or you as a human being.

The simple example is getting your subjob. In FFXI you can change what class you are at any time with the proper items but your level isn't static, each class's levels are managed separately from each other. That said, however, you could take half as many levels as you main class in whatever other class you wanted. For example, you could be a primary white mage at 30 and have access to benefits and spells from the first 15 levels of black mage. Needless to say this was huge.

So you want to get access to this because without it, you will never find a group because you are pathetic and worthless compared to anybody with it. Well, you can't do it until level 18. Monsters can only really be safely solo'd until 10 after which point their strength skyrockets. Additionally, the game makes you use a check to determine monster strength that tells you nothing about how strong the monster is compared to you only what range of level it is from you. This means absolutely nothing as some monsters could wipe the floor with you even when they were a level or more below you. Did I mention that if they're 3 levels or lower than you you get no XP? And that healing/MP requires you to literally sit on the ground and do nothing for 30 seconds or so at low levels and several minutes at higher levels? Do you want a group? Haha, everybody else your level has already got subjob and is just grinding to build a new class so you get no invites.

So you grind and grind and grind and grind and hit 18. Well the game says, you're strong enough but you need to get specific items. It of course, doesn't bother to even mention where the hell these items can be gotten from or the fact that they can't be bought at the auction house. The first is easy enough and you probably have multiples from grinding. The second, however, requires you to go to a level 20+ zone through a cave with auto-aggroing bats which are 23. They will utterly destroy you at 18. Did I mention you lose XP when you die? Because you do, you lose a lot of it.

So you get back up to 18 and buy the items that let you avoid aggroing the bats. After carefully, carefully, carefully avoiding the other enemies (the nearest warp crystal is about a 10 minute run from here) you manage to make it to the place where the enemy you need to kill spawns. Except it doesn't spawn immediately, its a rare monster. And its item is a rare drop. And the beach is the best place to level in the area. So groups of people are out there killing them without you getting a chance to even kill one, which god forbid if you do manage to fight it, is 18 but way way tougher than you are and kills you.

Should you make it past this point, the game only has more bullshit for you.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 7, 2012

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Pollyanna posted:

The PC version had a different, less retarded translation compared to the PSX version, which I remember being alright. It did, however, have creepy open mouths on everyone. :gonk:

But yeah, this re-release is kind of strange, even if we still don't know much about it.

I can shed some light on it, not much.

The core of it is the original FFVII PC release with a slightly different directory structure. Either Square doesn't have the source code, or they looked at it and went :stonk: This means most of the original bugs are still there (like the Chocobo racing crash or super fast minigames). They've worked around this through patching everything like using modern direct3d (and presumably the minigames/chocobo racing/etc) in memory, hooray for dlls.

The translation seems to be the same, at least one of the typos (a you're instead of a your) is still there. The videos are probably based on originals they had backed up, because the original videos were absolutely awful messes of compression while the new one's look pretty good. The original background files are there, but so are the original midi files even though they're unused. I hope they're not just going to use the original background files, surely they have the originals hidden somewhere that they can pull in. Speaking of music, it uses .ogg files which are created from the original midis... yeah. Hopefully they'll get around to putting in a version of one winged angel with voices before they actually release it.

That's all I can think of. As far as I know, no one's gotten around securom and into the game itself yet if they downloaded it, so we don't really know what it's like yet.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Himuro posted:

That paragraph is magical.

The grain of truth, if put a little less creepily, is 8 actually sold pretty drat well for an FF. It's kind of notable Rinoa has never actually been that popular a subject in FF fanart done by dudes (pervy or otherwise, since not only men draw that) to be in a such a well selling game, unless you lean towards the unfortunate suspicion Rinoa/Squall art was only popular cause Rinoa could be a self-insert and that as a guy you either found her kind of hot or just boring as hell. I remember a lot more people gushing about Quistis but that may be a culture difference across the pond.

I'm actually worried about replaying FF9 because I remember Garnet as being selectively naive and sometimes overdramatic (relatively speaking) but not in a way that made her stupid, especially with how astute she seems in invading Zidane's horndoging. In short, a FF ~Princess~ but written with selfawareness; I hope this isn't nostalgia glasses :ohdear:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's not nostalgia; that's pretty much her entire character.

She is naive, but she's not stupid. IIRC, though, there are a few moments where you can choose her response to something, and make her seem either more aware, or naive. She's pretty likable as a character, hell, most of IX's cast I found pretty likable.

And her romance with Zidane isn't like Rinoa's weird romance/flirting with Squall. It probably helps that it fits in with the fairy-tale like, and very theatrical feel of IX - hell, they cover it in the overly dramatic "I want to be your Crow Canary".

As for Garnet's rear end, I do remember it causing a small derail in TWD's LP thread. :butt:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When FFXI first came out, how did anyone at all get through the game in it's early days with its soul crushing difficulty, and no high level friends to help out?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly the only thing I disliked about Garnet was her somehow not knowing what a dagger was, even though she apparently read/watched a lot of plays? You think a dagger would be a pretty common tool in plays. Backstabbing, suicide, knife to the throat, thieves and assassins.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I said come in! posted:

When FFXI first came out, how did anyone at all get through the game in it's early days with its soul crushing difficulty, and no high level friends to help out?

From what I can tell most of the things you can do with a "high level friend" you could do with a squad of copatriots and take 10x+ as long.

The game's primary competitor at the time was EverQuest, which by all accounts had the same kind of bullshit in it (I never played it myself, really) and as stated the game has its charms, which is why people put up with it at the time and put up with it even now.

What made XIV bizarre is that it was like XI at launch but in HD and with even more features missing. Like they didn't learn a goddamned thing about MMO game design in a loving decade.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

From what I can tell most of the things you can do with a "high level friend" you could do with a squad of copatriots and take 10x+ as long.

The game's primary competitor at the time was EverQuest, which by all accounts had the same kind of bullshit in it (I never played it myself, really) and as stated the game has its charms, which is why people put up with it at the time and put up with it even now.

What made XIV bizarre is that it was like XI at launch but in HD and with even more features missing. Like they didn't learn a goddamned thing about MMO game design in a loving decade.

Everquest was the game I played back then, along with Ultima Online. You are right about it having many of the samethings you mentioned in your long post about what made FFXI terrible. The big things for EQ were possibly losing levels if you died, very long travel times, and having to reclaim all of your gear after you died. You also had to group, and there was no auction house until years later, everyone got together in one spot in the gameworld and used local chat.

Ultima Online at least made it so gear wasn't really that important, it was easily replaceable if you died (when you died, anyone could loot your corpse and take everything).

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 8, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Endorph posted:

Honestly the only thing I disliked about Garnet was her somehow not knowing what a dagger was, even though she apparently read/watched a lot of plays? You think a dagger would be a pretty common tool in plays. Backstabbing, suicide, knife to the throat, thieves and assassins.

Yeah, that was a pretty stupid part.

It's even more stupid if you rename Garnet anything other than "Dagger" as well. Because it makes her look like she has a type of ADHD.

quote:

:j: I need a new name...Zidane... What is this called?"

:quagmire: "That? That's a dagger. All knives of that length are called daggers. Short swords are a bit longer. The big sword you hold with both hands is called a broadsword. And..."

:j: "Oh, okay... I understand now. So this is called a 'dagger'..."

:hist101: "Princess! It's a weapon! Please be careful."

:j: "I've decided! From now on, my name is...Turnip" :downs:

If I had to dislike anything about her, it's the section of the game where she becomes completely useless - yeah I know it's plot relevant, but the amount of times you try to make her do something, and she shakes her head with the reply "Turnip Dagger can't concentrate".

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 8, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I named her Dirk :v:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, that was a pretty stupid part.

It's even more stupid if you rename Garnet anything other than "Dagger" as well. Because it makes her look like she has a type of ADHD.

If I had to dislike anything about her, it's the section of the game where she becomes completely useless - yeah I know it's plot relevant, but the amount of times you try to make her do something, and she shakes her head with the reply "Turnip Dagger can't concentrate".

Turnip is a fine name :colbert:

I'm playing Final Fantasy VIII now and boy are there are lot of train rides!

The Sorceress's Parade at the end of disc one was actually really neat and suitably creepy. I have a lot of respect for the way they mixed the FMVs and gameplay. The actual things that were happening sure were loving retarded though!

I feel like the Junction system would have been better received if the menus weren't such a mess. And the Draw system would have been better received if battles moved faster. (Right now each battle takes several minutes because I am sperg who has to draw a sizable stock of every new spell I come across then have Selphie tap the enemy until Squall can Card it.)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TurnipFritter posted:

Turnip is a fine name :colbert:

I'm playing Final Fantasy VIII now and boy are there are lot of train rides!

The Sorceress's Parade at the end of disc one was actually really neat and suitably creepy. I have a lot of respect for the way they mixed the FMVs and gameplay. The actual things that were happening sure were loving retarded though!

Never said it wasn't :colbert:

The music is what makes it for me. It's the heavy ritualistic beats and chanting. And whatever combination of instruments that Uematsu uses to make it sound...well, "magical" and "witchy".

Shame that the rest of the game goes off the rails for the rest of the game - which is not to say that there aren't good moments here and there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
What are the payment options for FFXI these days? I've never been a fan of recurring monthly charges; is it possible to just purchase gametime or pay for more than one month at a time? I kinda wanna get back in the game, find some goons to hang out with and just explore the pretty scenery and music and quest lines.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Everquest was the game I played back then, along with Ultima Online. You are right about it having many of the samethings you mentioned in your long post about what made FFXI terrible. The big things for EQ were possibly losing levels if you died, very long travel times, and having to reclaim all of your gear after you died. You also had to group, and there was no auction house until years later, everyone got together in one spot in the gameworld and used local chat.

Ultima Online at least made it so gear wasn't really that important, it was easily replaceable if you died (when you died, anyone could loot your corpse and take everything).

Exactly, and with XI the long travel times at least are offset by incredible zone design that make you want to actually run around and explore, and just losing xp but no items and no "debt" was downright progressive at the time. And I have to say, I've tried EQ a couple times just to see what the fuss is and the graphics are eyebleedingly terrible to the point where I find it disorienting. Meanwhile, XI holds up today as being pleasant to look at at least, especially if you run it with a high background resolution and get some third party graphics packs to smooth over the fonts and UI a little.

The equipment design is something that is unrivaled in its own way even today, too. No clown suits and garish shoulder pads; high end gear is ornamental and pretty instead of garish or slutty. The Artifact Armor that is modeled after classic Final Fantasy characters is very nice looking, too.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

TurnipFritter posted:

I feel like the Junction system would have been better received if the menus weren't such a mess. And the Draw system would have been better received if battles moved faster. (Right now each battle takes several minutes because I am sperg who has to draw a sizable stock of every new spell I come across then have Selphie tap the enemy until Squall can Card it.)

Get the Item Refine and Card Refine abilities and you'll never have to draw again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boten Anna posted:

Exactly, and with XI the long travel times at least are offset by incredible zone design that make you want to actually run around and explore, and just losing xp but no items and no "debt" was downright progressive at the time. And I have to say, I've tried EQ a couple times just to see what the fuss is and the graphics are eyebleedingly terrible to the point where I find it disorienting. Meanwhile, XI holds up today as being pleasant to look at at least, especially if you run it with a high background resolution and get some third party graphics packs to smooth over the fonts and UI a little.

The equipment design is something that is unrivaled in its own way even today, too. No clown suits and garish shoulder pads; high end gear is ornamental and pretty instead of garish or slutty. The Artifact Armor that is modeled after classic Final Fantasy characters is very nice looking, too.

Couldn't agree more. FFXIV is similar in its art style with gear, but XI is still better in that area, at least right now. 2.0 is suppose to have a lot better looking gear.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

jivjov posted:

What are the payment options for FFXI these days? I've never been a fan of recurring monthly charges; is it possible to just purchase gametime or pay for more than one month at a time? I kinda wanna get back in the game, find some goons to hang out with and just explore the pretty scenery and music and quest lines.

I think it charges only in one month blocks but they're better than they used to be. You can even buy "Ultimate Game Cards" at GameStop or whatever and redeem them for Crysta to pay for your sub, as well as using SE's payment processor or a third party one (the third party one is not recommended). No more first of the month bullshitnonsense either, 30 days is 30 days.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Boten Anna posted:

I think it charges only in one month blocks but they're better than they used to be. You can even buy "Ultimate Game Cards" at GameStop or whatever and redeem them for Crysta to pay for your sub, as well as using SE's payment processor or a third party one (the third party one is not recommended). No more first of the month bullshitnonsense either, 30 days is 30 days.

Looks like the option that would be best for me would be buying a bunch of Crysta and using that to pay for my sub. I work as a part-timer, so even though most weeks I get 36-40 hours a week, there are some weeks that I don't and I can't always rely on having a decent paycheck at the right time to cover an automatic monthly billing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
You can use PayPal to purchase Crysta for as long as you want to play, and have zero recurring fees.

As to how old FFXI players did it: bootstraps. Grit. Especially if you were an unwanted job like Thief. I have no regrets. (But I was younger with a lot more free time.)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Never said it wasn't :colbert:

The music is what makes it for me. It's the heavy ritualistic beats and chanting. And whatever combination of instruments that Uematsu uses to make it sound...well, "magical" and "witchy".

Shame that the rest of the game goes off the rails for the rest of the game - which is not to say that there aren't good moments here and there.

FFVIII has some of the best music in the series IMO, but if you want ritualistic chanting, you can't go past FFX's Hymn Of The Faith.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've been curious about trying out FFXI recently, but I think I only have Silver LIVE. If that's okay, then I wonder if there's a downloadable demo for the 360 out :shobon:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

As to how old FFXI players did it: bootstraps. Grit. Especially if you were an unwanted job like Thief. I have no regrets. (But I was younger with a lot more free time.)

Hey, Thieves were wanted... for Treasure Hunter. Better not bring your low DPS into our meripo after you've lost thousands of EXP for us, though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah, I recently went back to 11 after getting a War/Nin to 50 at launch and petering out. A combination of the eased leveling speed and modern games having sane progression have made the stuff that isn't XPing seem even worse; you can still easily spend 30 minutes just running between point A and point B to do a quest that just involves carrying a thing from point A to point B. And like EQ they did a lot of content addition or changing old poo poo without taking into account how it'd affect new players, so you have stuff like level 20 missions from launch requiring you to sneak/invis through zones with level 85 monsters.

It definitely still has its charm (I agree entirely about the art), and there's something to be said for games that are a little more relaxed and lazy than WoW where you aren't jamming a key nonstop the entire time you're leveling and can just chill and listen to music and talk to people and check on the dinner you're cooking or whatever without having to be perpetually "on". But a lot of the time that just translates into the game being loving boring. It's also still the opposite of most modern games in that leveling your first character up requires an insane amount of work, stopping every 5 levels to do long and tedious quests, and the like while leveling a new job on an old established character takes like two days.

In an era where WoW is giving people free level 80 characters with flying mounts and bags just to resubscribe, this is a really tough pill to swallow. There's almost zero incentive for a new player, except this Destrier Beret thing that gives movespeed and regen/refresh, but only up to level 30 which any new player actually dedicated to leveling will achieve on their first job in a single evening. Also I couldn't actually get mine because despite accepting the reward code the game wouldn't give me the actual item due to a bug the entire duration of my free trial period. Including the last week of it, when the developers said the bug was fixed.

It was tremendously better than EQ when it came out, but it's time for it to shuffle off to the Old MMO Retirement Home.

EDIT: I've beaten every mainseries game at least once, done various stupid feats in them like grinding everyone to 99 in 6 and doing all the hunts in 12 (twice), played WoW off and on since launch and had multiple level-capped characters in endgame raid gear, etc and FFXI is simply too hardcore and too boring for me. It was when it came out (I remember literally falling asleep trying to grind Ninja through Jungle parties) and it still is now.

Baku fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 8, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cyberbob posted:

FFVIII has some of the best music in the series IMO, but if you want ritualistic chanting, you can't go past FFX's Hymn Of The Faith.

I did like the little touch of having the different types of singers for the different Aeons. And its prevelance in the various other themes of the game (I'm a sucker for leitmotifs).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Twintania is kicking my rear end. :( His MT attacks are way way way too powerful. Is there any way to fend them off?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When he starts charging up Gigaflare, he's vulnerable to instant death attacks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fister Roboto posted:

When he starts charging up Gigaflare, he's vulnerable to instant death attacks.

Coo coo, I managed to get him :) Now to hunt down some Movers...

edit: NEO EXDEAAAAATH :byodood:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 8, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

edit: NEO EXDEAAAAATH :byodood:

Do all your buffing during the Tree phase. It's not scary and all your buffs carry over into Neo.

Who gives a poo poo about Almagest when you're level 255? :drugnerd:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pollyanna posted:

I've been curious about trying out FFXI recently, but I think I only have Silver LIVE. If that's okay, then I wonder if there's a downloadable demo for the 360 out :shobon:

Nope, you need Gold, but if you have a cheapo computer that would've been considered good six years ago, you can play it at max settings with no problems at all and without paying an extra $10 a month on top of the FF11 monthly fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Victoly!

Phew. Now I can finally stop playing this drat game!

edit for strategy: Buffing during the tree phase is exactly what I did. Got Krile and Bartz up to like level 130 and doubled everyone's HP. Neo Exdeath went down pretty easy after that.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 8, 2012