Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
I'm seeing Mighty Mighty Bosstones in DC tonight with my wife and some friends. It's my first time seeing them live, it's going to be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
http://bombthemusicindustry.tumblr.com/post/28910528585/here-come-the-waterworks

If you haven't seen BTMI, better do it now.

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

I am so, so bummed about this. BTMI! is my favorite band, and I can't even make it to one of their final shows because I live in Boston.

I can only hope they decide to do a final show in Boston like they said they might in the post.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Ska bands understandably hate Florida :negative:

There's the odd ska band, but most tours don't come here. (Or at least in my neck of the woods).

Dodecalypse fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 7, 2012

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Thank god. They better go through with it.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

FateoMcSkippy posted:

boo this man

boooooooooo

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I hope the Bruins poo poo the bed this year.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

No NY show :smith:

But I guess if ASOB played shows I have to have some hope right?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Goddammit Jeff stop making awesome music right before you take a hiatus.'

On the bright side, all the "this is our last time" towns are on the west coast, which makes it seem like they're just going to dial it way back and keep it simple for a while. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Yeah, it seems like they'll still be playing and putting out stuff, but probably playing locally if at all for the foreseeable future.

Edit: <--Hah! Where did this come from?

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 7, 2012

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The Nineties.

Seriously though it's the Skalocaust and the mods will kill us all.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

FateoMcSkippy posted:

you should probably get out imho

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

This is sad. Really sad. These guys are so far and away my favorite band that nothing even comes close. Praying they'll still make records and play occasional local shows.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

:smith: One of my favorite memories from one of the Ska Weekend trips was when Jeff jumped off the stage and started playing in the middle of the pit. The microphone was basically taken away by the crowd and passed around and Jeff just kept on playing like it didn't even matter.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

lessthankyle posted:

Edit: <--Hah! Where did this come from?

The next like 5 posts or so after http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2472443&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=312#post406308407

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

Backno posted:

:smith: One of my favorite memories from one of the Ska Weekend trips was when Jeff jumped off the stage and started playing in the middle of the pit. The microphone was basically taken away by the crowd and passed around and Jeff just kept on playing like it didn't even matter.

The news today took me down memory lane too. I remember seeing Bomb when it was just Jeff and his ipod, and maybe another guy. I think they were opening for the Bouncing Souls. I didn't even know who Bomb was then. I was there to see the Souls.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
BTMI is playing The Fest this year so hopefully they'll play an Athens show beforehand like they normally do.

For anybody near Atlanta the Mass Ska Raid is coming up in a couple weeks, and there's some really good bands on it this year. The Last Slice and the Soul Radics are both really kickass two-toneish bands. Chilled Monkey Brains and Joystick are both really good ska punk/core. There's a ton of good bands but those are definitely the ones I'm looking forward to the most.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm not really that sad to see BTMI! go. Great music but I'm not a huge DIY-er.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I'm not really that sad to see BTMI! go. Great music but I'm not a huge DIY-er.

It's not like they were ever snobby about DIY, they just did their thing and got by.

BTMI! and ASOB have both been my favourite bands as long as I've known about them, really sucks to see them go.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I'd probably be more upset if Vacation wasn't so loving good.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I was kinda pissed that my friends dragged me to the beach instead of going to the Philly show, now I'm shocked that I may have missed Philly's last BtMI show. I'm assuming they'll do at least a couple of more northeast dates, and I'll manage to make it to those. But they've always managed to amaze me at how much they'll change their sound from album to album and still be so awesome.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

dnz posted:

It's not like they were ever snobby about DIY, they just did their thing and got by.

BTMI! and ASOB have both been my favourite bands as long as I've known about them, really sucks to see them go.

Its not so much snobby as I'm not the biggest fan of iPod shows or "hey half our poo poo's broken so i'm gonna play drums on this barrel and use a few cymbals duct taped to two by fours.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like central Ohio still has a ska band, and they'll be playing a festival soon.

Has anyone seen Ska Skank Redemption live?

http://www.wix.com/m63102/skaskankredemption

F/E: Please don't take away my CYOA shame tag.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Its not so much snobby as I'm not the biggest fan of iPod shows or "hey half our poo poo's broken so i'm gonna play drums on this barrel and use a few cymbals duct taped to two by fours.

They don't do that as much anymore though? Part of the transition with Scrambles was BtMI actually having a band that wasn't just Jeff plus whoever, but a steady lineup of dudes who practiced and poo poo.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

4 Bosstones shows in 5 days. Over 1000 miles put on the car. Entirely too much spent on merch. Is it Throwdown yet?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
At my first BTMI show they were playing this real DIY type practice space, not even a real venue. I went up to Jeff while they were setting up and asked if they could play King of Minneapolis Parts 3 & 4.

You don't usually get to go up to the Bosstones or Reel Big Fish and ask them to play your favorite song.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Bosstones are all over the place outside the venue before the doors open. They're just hard to notice when not all in plaid suits.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
38 new replies in the ska thread. Maybe Streetlight put something out.
NOPE
EVEN BETTER

jetgrindeggy posted:

At my first BTMI show they were playing this real DIY type practice space, not even a real venue. I went up to Jeff while they were setting up and asked if they could play King of Minneapolis Parts 3 & 4.

You don't usually get to go up to the Bosstones or Reel Big Fish and ask them to play your favorite song.
Nice choice. I couldn't even think of a song I'd have preferred over any other. Maybe this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrZQmp4pXwo

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What the gently caress, the new RBF album came out and no one said anything?

http://www.amazon.com/Candy-Coated-Fury-Explicit/dp/B008LOXT32/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344519495&sr=301-1

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I think it was leaked a month ago or something.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah but you'd think a new official release by one of the patriarchs of third-wave ska would at least garner a mention.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...

guppy posted:

Yeah but you'd think a new official release by one of the patriarchs of third-wave ska would at least garner a mention.

It got about 4-5 mentions 2 pages or so back

Edit: my brain is stupid. Apparently not that many mentions of the release date

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I just finished listening to it and I'm pretty underwhelmed. Nothing seems like it has a lot of heart behind it except one or two songs. I really enjoyed "The Promise," but it fits with a lot of their recent releases in that the songs at the end tend to be significantly better.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

lessthankyle posted:

I just finished listening to it and I'm pretty underwhelmed. Nothing seems like it has a lot of heart behind it except one or two songs. I really enjoyed "The Promise," but it fits with a lot of their recent releases in that the songs at the end tend to be significantly better.

I'm warming up to it slowly, but yeah I agree that a lot of it wasn't mind-blowing. Favorite songs imho are "I know you too well", "Punisher", and "She's not the end of the world"

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I gave up on RBF after Cheer Up, and I don't regret it at all. They still put on a hell of a live show, though, even if I don't know some of the songs.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 9, 2012

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

jetgrindeggy posted:

I gave up on RBF after Cheer Up, and I don't regret it at all. They still put on a hell of a live show, though, even if I don't know some of the songs.

Cheer Up is one hell of an album. Probably my favorite honestly. Agree that everything after that up until now has been total dog poo poo. The new album is definitely worth checking out if you haven't already, though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I actually feel bad for liking Cheer Up because I know they were pretty much forced to record it and they hated it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

lessthankyle posted:

It's not spectacular but it's better than anything from We're Not Happy onwards so hey.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dickeye posted:

It's not spectacular but it's better than anything from We're Not Happy onwards so hey.

"Oh man, it sure sucks to be in a ska band. Hey, remember when we kicked you out of our ska band that we hate?"

What a fun album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

"Oh man, it sure sucks to be in a ska band. Hey, remember when we kicked you out of our ska band that we hate?"

What a fun album.

What does this mean? Is there a story behind that album I don't know about?