Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nice. Grab a bottomless portafilter for that bad boy.

I'm still loving my Quickmill Anita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

No Wave posted:

Word. I've only brewed once but I'm going to try the American Test Kitchen recipe next (tomorrow).

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2011/08/how-to-make-cold-brew-coffee/

The dude says 1:1 by volume but honestly that seems low to me and the recipe calls for dilution afterwards anyways so I'm gonna do 1:3 by volume. That way I can just pour it right into ice.

Man, this produced some pretty weak coffee. 24 hours of steeping in room temperature and it's not that good. Definitely didn't need any dilution.

I did half a cup of grinds to one and a half cups of water. That's a 1:3 ratio, right? Or am I failing miserably at basic math?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Doh004 posted:

Man, this produced some pretty weak coffee. 24 hours of steeping in room temperature and it's not that good. Definitely didn't need any dilution.

I did half a cup of grinds to one and a half cups of water. That's a 1:3 ratio, right? Or am I failing miserably at basic math?
Yeah I realized I might have hosed that up because I'm stupid. I think 1:2 is more like it. Sorry I hosed up your coffee dog. I repent and if it's any consolation I hosed up a whole lot more of my own this way.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

No Wave posted:

Yeah I realized I might have hosed that up because I'm stupid. I think 1:2 is more like it. Sorry I hosed up your coffee dog. I repent and if it's any consolation I hosed up a whole lot more of my own this way.

Oh no, sorry if that came off as accusatory. I was more just reporting on what we had talked on earlier. Will try again tonight with a more concentrated ratio.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Doh004 posted:

Oh no, sorry if that came off as accusatory. I was more just reporting on what we had talked on earlier. Will try again tonight with a more concentrated ratio.
No I just felt bad it didn't turn out, nothing wrong with your tone. Let me know how it goes.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I glanced through this thread and didn't see anything about Coffee Fool. Does anyone have an opinion about them? I buy from them all the time and find their coffee very fresh and high-quality, but then again I might not know what I'm talking about.

I was also very pleased to see my Technivorm Moccamaster described as the Rolls-Royce of coffeemakers. For 300 bones it better be.

e: Also, does anyone have any advice on the best way to make iced coffee? It's been hot as gently caress for North Country NY lately (80+ degrees), and iced coffee is awesome. I've just making regular drip coffee in my Moccamaster and then stirring it with ice, milk, and a little maple syrup. I'm thinking maybe I should brew it stronger than usual since it's being diluted by the melting ice and the milk.

Martello fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 8, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

dema posted:

Nice. Grab a bottomless portafilter for that bad boy.

I'm still loving my Quickmill Anita.

Yeah, I really wanted an Anita but really couldn't spring for that entire amount right now so this Rocket will "have to do". I definitely will budget for a bottomless pf when I can.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

pnumoman posted:

K-cup machines blow because they add to the weakness of a drip machine (bad water temps/not enough brew time) by adding an additional problem in having too little coffee grounds and not enough space for the grounds to expand.

Reusable K-cups are fine if you like the taste of K-cups to begin with (in which case, this thread may not be for you), but if you think K-cups taste like rear end, reusable K-cups are just as bad.

I really don't like the taste the K-Cups give, despite whatever cartridge I choose (be it DD brand or Starbucks or Green Mountain) they all have a similar taste.

I'm going to give the Aeropress a shot, as it seems like the best idea for what I'm trying to achieve without packing a thermos. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!

ps. I'd love for a goon to make me coffee, it'd probably knock me on my rear end compared to what I have had in my life.

Shapiro
Jun 27, 2005

a jealous female can be tricked into anything

Martello posted:

I glanced through this thread and didn't see anything about Coffee Fool. Does anyone have an opinion about them? I buy from them all the time and find their coffee very fresh and high-quality, but then again I might not know what I'm talking about.

I was also very pleased to see my Technivorm Moccamaster described as the Rolls-Royce of coffeemakers. For 300 bones it better be.

e: Also, does anyone have any advice on the best way to make iced coffee? It's been hot as gently caress for North Country NY lately (80+ degrees), and iced coffee is awesome. I've just making regular drip coffee in my Moccamaster and then stirring it with ice, milk, and a little maple syrup. I'm thinking maybe I should brew it stronger than usual since it's being diluted by the melting ice and the milk.

Definitely make it extra strong. You could try cold brewing like a couple of guys on the last couple pages are. Personally, I like to just make some extra strong coffee (whatever method you like), then shake it in a martini shaker with some ice. It gets cold instantly, and doesn't get too watered down.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Shapiro posted:

Definitely make it extra strong. You could try cold brewing like a couple of guys on the last couple pages are. Personally, I like to just make some extra strong coffee (whatever method you like), then shake it in a martini shaker with some ice. It gets cold instantly, and doesn't get too watered down.

Thanks, the martini shaker is a great idea. I used a protein shaker recently, which I think will work just as well and especially with the quantities I'm drinking. It will help alot to not keep the ice cubes in the coffee. I pour the iced coffee into a very effective insulated travel tumbler that keeps things cold or hot pretty much all day. I'll try brewing it extra-strong tomorrow morning.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I was inspired by this thread to finally get a coffee grinder (Capresso Infinity) and some beans from a local roaster, and I am more than impressed by my first cup this morning. I usually put milk in my coffee but I found I didn't need to this morning. I am never going back to preground.

On a different note, for all the complaints that people in this thread seem to have about K-cups, I have to say they're a poo poo-ton better than what comes out of a Flavia machine. That's what my office has, so I stick to tea during the work day (and no, not the tea that comes from the Flavia).

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Florida Betty posted:

I was inspired by this thread to finally get a coffee grinder (Capresso Infinity) and some beans from a local roaster, and I am more than impressed by my first cup this morning. I usually put milk in my coffee but I found I didn't need to this morning. I am never going back to preground.

In my experience, the two biggest contributors to a good cup of coffee are freshness of the roast, and grinding right before you brew. You can have a lovely $20 coffee maker, and still have delicious coffee provided you grind your own beans and use coffee that was roasted in the last week or two.

Search around your area for tiny roasting operations. You might be surprised by how many small roasters are popping up everywhere.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Florida Betty posted:

On a different note, for all the complaints that people in this thread seem to have about K-cups, I have to say they're a poo poo-ton better than what comes out of a Flavia machine. That's what my office has, so I stick to tea during the work day (and no, not the tea that comes from the Flavia).

My previous job had two flavia machines. I cringed whenever people would walk back to their desks double fisting some "freshly" brewed flavia coffee. That coffee is so bad that I overlooked the fact that it was free and went out to go buy lovely coffee from DD or Starbucks.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

No Wave posted:

No I just felt bad it didn't turn out, nothing wrong with your tone. Let me know how it goes.

Ended up doing 2:1 coffee to water by volume. Let it sit out for 12 hours and then I put it in the fridge for another 12 hours.

Just poured some into a cup over ice with equal parts water and it tastes pretty awesome. My only complaint is that this yields a lot less coffee than you would normally get, even after diluting it. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Baratza just got more refurbs for all models including the Vario-W if anyone's looking to buy.

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!
Finally broke down and got myself a french press and a conical burr grinder. Should arrive on Monday.

Been drinking 4-6 cups of semi-decent drip coffee a day for as long as I can remember, figured it was time to put my big boy pants on.

I already have a local roaster I have been going to for my coffee anyway, so all I need now is something to heat water with that is more consistent than a stainless cooking pot.

Will a glass kettle work properly on an electric coil range?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Florida Betty posted:

I find it really hard to imagine there is a machine that makes worse automated coffee than a K-Cup. I hope to god I never have to drink coffee from this "Flavia" machine.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Sevorast posted:

Don't try this, it will break the glass.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Sevorast posted:

As pointed out, don't do this. Even something like Pyrex, which is reasonably shatter-resistant, can and will shatter on an electric range.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well I wouldn't even use Pyrex on a gas range, but what about borosilicate glass? I use a borosilicate teapot all the time on my gas range, is that still a no-no on an electric-coil range?

edit: what if you use a diffuser plate, that should make it okay, right?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 10, 2012

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!
Thanks guys, I thought that might be the case with the glass (Pyrex) kettles. They look so nice though, and the idea of using glass to heat the water and avoid any kind of metallic or plastic taste transfer is attractive to me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it this model?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yattay/6247097181/

Cause it looks like people use it on electric coil stoves all the time...?

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!

Steve Yun posted:

edit: what if you use a diffuser plate, that should make it okay, right?

Somehow I missed this part. I looked into diffuser plates and it seems like that might be the right direction to go.

Steve Yun posted:

Is it this model?

Not that exact model no, but close. Has a slightly different top (whistles) and curved pour spout. That picture made me realize I could just google it and look at the images, and it does seem pretty common for people to be using them directly on the coils. Have been reading reviews as well, and the horror stories are pretty commom so I'm still not sure which way to go.

They have it at a little shop down the road near my roaster. I'm heading there tomorrow anyway so I can snap a pic. Wasn't able to find it in with google.

May just get this https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPK-17-PerfecTemp-1-7-Liter-Stainless/dp/B003KYSLNQ since someone mentioned it a ways back in the thread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, if youre seeing horror stories it might just be better/safer to go with metal.

I just bought that Cuisinart kettle a few days ago. I like it, but in hindsight I think I would've liked finer temp control. I think the Chef's Choice Smart Kettle allows you to pick your temp.

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, if youre seeing horror stories it might just be better/safer to go with metal.

I just bought that Cuisinart kettle a few days ago. I like it, but in hindsight I think I would've liked finer temp control. I think the Chef's Choice Smart Kettle allows you to pick your temp.

Went ahead and ordered the Cuisinart right after posting last, then went out for a bit. Came back and saw your post :smithicide:

The preset selections look to have a pretty good range to them, is there a specific temp you're wishing you could hit?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If its amazon can't you cancel before it ships tmrw?

The Cuisinart does 160, 175, 185, 190, 200 and boil. I'd like to have the option to go up or down 5 degrees to experiment on what gets better results from teas.

Of course, you can always just wait half a minute for it to cool down a few degrees, no big whoop

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 11, 2012

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!
It shipped about an hour after I ordered it, Amazon has gotten really fast lately. Not sure if Prime has anything to do with it or not but I like it.

I have an instant digital thermometer anyway so I'm not really stressed.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Is it this model?

FWIW, I have one of these exact models and use it on gas all the time (for iced tea). Had an old family hand-me-down that my wife dropped, so we got another on eBay.

The glass is very strong and I can't imagine using it on coils being a bad thing.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen

Shapiro posted:

I do this with my aeropress; easy and really great

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I did the extra-strong brew and shook it with ice, and it worked perfectly. I have a really awesome Thermos tumbler that keeps the coffee ice-cold for 7 hours or so, and since I strained the ice out it doesn't get all watery.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.clivecoffee.com/product/bonavita_variable_temp_kettle.html

Speaking of variable temp kettles, I've had one of these on order for a while now. Unfortunately, the ship date has been pushed back from mid-July to mid-September. Based on a preliminary report it is a very promising product. I have a PINO digital kettle to use for Japanese tea, but I really don't like it all that much. The temperature control gets increasingly inaccurate as you use water, it has a huge dead band (temperature variation), and the spout sucks rear end for pouring. The Bonavita kettle appears to solve all these issues, so I am really looking forward to trying it whenever it actually arrives.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yeah, I have the PINO.
Not great. All the flaws you list plus slow.

Shapiro
Jun 27, 2005

a jealous female can be tricked into anything

Martello posted:

I did the extra-strong brew and shook it with ice, and it worked perfectly. I have a really awesome Thermos tumbler that keeps the coffee ice-cold for 7 hours or so, and since I strained the ice out it doesn't get all watery.

Great, glad to hear it!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Coldbrew success. It is more expensive than hot brew - a half pound of coffee made about ten cups (less by volume, but it's highly concentrated) instead of the 15-20 that a half pound normally would.

However, for iced coffee, it's unmatchably delicious. You have no desire for sugar, as there's no acid in it. I really can't recommend highly enough that you try it.

1/2 pound of coffee, twice as much water by volume, leave out for 36 to 48 hours in a warm room, covered. Strain, once through a strainer, then through a coffee filter/paper towel. Dude at the coffee store recommended coarse grind, as it's easier to strain, but it doesn't really matter.

For a super deluxe taste experience add only to ice and plenty of milk. You can water down with a lil' water too though. No need for sugar - there's no bitterness so you don't need it. I love it for iced.

I can't recommend this enough, and anyone can do it. Enjoy before the summer ends!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When you guys were talking about 3:1 water coffee ratio for cold brew, do you mean like 100 g coffee grinds --> 300 ml water or do you mean like with cups and poo poo? I always make a nice hot coffee every morning with my french press but I've been meaning to make a cold brew right after I make my coffee and leave it there over work until the next morning.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

When you guys were talking about 3:1 water coffee ratio for cold brew, do you mean like 100 g coffee grinds --> 300 ml water or do you mean like with cups and poo poo? I always make a nice hot coffee every morning with my french press but I've been meaning to make a cold brew right after I make my coffee and leave it there over work until the next morning.
3:1 was off - 2:1 by volume worked better (ie, 1 cup by volume coffee, 1 cup by volume water). It's a lot of grounds. I couldn't tell you offhand what that is by weight.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

By volume. I typically brew with 1 cup of grounds and 3 cups of water.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Not an accurate way to measure coffee grounds.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Yea I've been trying to get a good tasting cold brew using the Bodum bean press (basically a 51 ounce french press) and I just can't get anything that doesn't have a bad aftertaste. I've played around with grind settings, although not sure how much it matters, as well as grams of coffee and nothing great yet.

My last batch used a bit finer grind but still coarse enough for press and 4g/oz, so 204grams of coffee plus filling up the french press. This can't be accurate cause the grounds take up so much drat room that there's no way 51 oz of water fits in there so I obviously need to take it down a bit I think. I'm also using cheap Eight O'clock coffee cause there's no way I'm using basically a whole bag of delicious fresh roasted 15-20 dollar coffee for one batch of cold brew. My steep time has been 24 hours in the fridge.

Anyone have suggestions for actual grams of coffee? I just want something with a nice crisp taste and no bitter aftertaste. I've diluted it, used half & half and sugar (actually tastes worse this way) but I'd like to be able to also drink it plain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Unfortunately, you can't make good coffee out of bad beans.

I figured that out a while back when I was using crap to learn my new espresso machine. Switched to good stuff and the difference was night and day.