Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Find something a bit bigger and make a mat for the poster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Ok so I don't know if I should make a thread in some kind of computer section or gadgets section, or whatever. I don't tend to ask technical questions but..I do a fair amount of video editing and imovie glitches out on me far more than it should. Like...you know how you can delete unused footage from an event library, so let's just say you put in a whole movie and only used 4 minutes, you can delete the other hour and still have the 4 minutes? IN theory that's what it does, but if I do that, it often fucks up the footage I used - either by deleting it, or deleting the sound, or corrupting the sound. Anyway. So I tend to only delete unused footage after I'm very very sure I'm finished with the project and I've exported the project.

I noticed one of my projects was greyed out, like this, meaning I couldn't edit it.

Notice how "edit" is all weird and grey, and I can't click on it when the project is selected? I attempted to play the project by clicking space, but now all the files seem to have glitched - because there's no sound on many of the clips and it won't even play the project at all, instead, skipping to the next one. And this was BEFORE I deleted unused footage from other projects. I assumed the glitch was because imovie had run out of memory, because of lack of hardware space, so I freed up a few dozen more gigs. But after deleting unused footage - still greyed out. After restarting computer - that project is still hosed. I have no idea what I did - just that suddenly, that project is hosed. I'm rather annoyed. Help?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Cute as heck posted:

I'm really hoping for ~$100 or less, it's just an eBoy poster I'm looking to get framed. It sucks seeing all the A0 frames on .uk or .au sites and they're only like £25 or £35 =[

What makes you think it's going to be over $100? Check out Michael's or Artco or whatever arts and crafts places you have nearby, I bet it will be cheaper than you expect.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What made Angry Birds so popular? There have been many other flash games that played in a similar fashion. Personally this one felt more of the same. But that's more opinion than anything, i'm just curious as to why this game in particular got so popular when there were many more similar ones like it. My guess is that the game-type wasn't well known to people, and the guys behind Angry Birds were the first to try advertising it? The game seems crazy popular now seeing as there's Angry Birds toys, binders, school supplies and so on.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 8, 2012

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Released at the right time, free, professional, hype. Also this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If anyone knew that they would have made the next hit game by now. It was a once-in-a-generation confluence of a receptive market, a platform looking for a killer app, an appealing style, universally understood game mechanics, the right kind of exposure and promotion at the right time, a knack for riding the iTunes store metrics, and countless other factors.

No one really understands gaming (or any industry) well enough to predict what the next big thing will be with any real certainty. There are just an awful lot of people trying; handful of them get really, really lucky and the rest are forgotten or never discovered.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 8, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samopsa posted:

Released at the right time, free, professional, hype. Also this.

Angry Birds was not free until they released the Android version, the iPhone version originally cost 99 cents when it was released in 2009, free version wasn't available til sometime in late 2010.

Also it feels weird to realize that Angry Birds has been around for 3 years.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
Does anyone know if the Grand Theft Auto Double Pack: GTA III/Vice City that was put out for the original Xbox several years ago will play on the Xbox 360?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If it's on this list it will work, and I see that it is.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Another couple of amateur clothes repair questions, firstly, I have some jeans with a button fly, and one of those buttons has popped off. It's one of those ones where there is a sort of peg fixed to the jeans and a button that clips onto it so it sits loose. I can put it back on but it pops off again really easily, can I fix it or have it fixed somewhere?

Second, and as a followup to my earlier question about fixing shoes, I have some Vans shoes where the cotton at the back of the shoe interior has worn away from the back of my heel rubbing on it. Can I and should I do anything about it? I just got the Shoe Goo recommended, should I add an ablative layer of it there, is this something I want rubbing against my foot?

raven4267
May 7, 2009
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone knew what this plant is called? There were a few of them around my property when I bought it, and they are really nice plants. They seem to be extremely drought resistant, and very hardy. I would like to purchase a few more of them.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

raven4267 posted:

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone knew what this plant is called? There were a few of them around my property when I bought it, and they are really nice plants. They seem to be extremely drought resistant, and very hardy. I would like to purchase a few more of them.

If you can't get an answer here, take a little cutting to a nursery. Someone there will probably be able to identify it. Even the garden department at Lowe's has probably got at least one person that could do this.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Did SA stop selling swag? I can't find the store anymore aside from forums features.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is it this?

http://www.zazzle.com/somethingawful

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Small questions for Americans, when I watch American talk shows like Jon Stewart, Colbert, Chelsea Lately etc, I notice they are broken up into 4 sections:
Section 1 - Ad break - Section 2 - Ad break - Section 3 - Ad break - 5 second bit where the host says good bye and the credits roll.

Do people actually watch the last bit? Why does it exist? In all of the shows I mentioned and I'm sure other ones it offers no factual or entertainment value. Is this some weird American tradition where you can't change the channel until the host as said goodnight to you? It really annoys me.

I'm guessing its just an excuse to cram more ads in but the real question is do you actually stick around the watch the last bit and if so, why?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Small questions for Americans, when I watch American talk shows like Jon Stewart, Colbert, Chelsea Lately etc, I notice they are broken up into 4 sections:
Section 1 - Ad break - Section 2 - Ad break - Section 3 - Ad break - 5 second bit where the host says good bye and the credits roll.

Do people actually watch the last bit? Why does it exist? In all of the shows I mentioned and I'm sure other ones it offers no factual or entertainment value. Is this some weird American tradition where you can't change the channel until the host as said goodnight to you? It really annoys me.

I'm guessing its just an excuse to cram more ads in but the real question is do you actually stick around the watch the last bit and if so, why?
Some show hosts take the time to pass the torch on to the next show's host (Jay Leno introduces Jimmy Fallon this way), as well as thank the current night's guests for coming to the show and announce the next night's guests.

Real answer: I don't stick around - I change channels or turn off the TV.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 9, 2012

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

raven4267 posted:

Looks like Sedum "Autumn Joy" or "Autumn Fire". Very nice plants.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I believe I read somewhere that that 5 second bit actually increases retention of viewers. Instead of ending the show and cutting to commercial, they have a commercial break, then end the show and go directly to the opening of the next show, and that keeps more people watching.

My question: I remember hearing somewhere that some major tech business lets their employees have an hour each day to work on independent projects and that this is key to their success. I think it might have been Intel or Apple but I can't remember with 100% certainty who it was, so who was it?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Manslaughter posted:

My question: I remember hearing somewhere that some major tech business lets their employees have an hour each day to work on independent projects and that this is key to their success. I think it might have been Intel or Apple but I can't remember with 100% certainty who it was, so who was it?
Google, I'm pretty sure.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Manslaughter posted:

Google has "20% time" (which works out to 2h/day), which may be what you are thinking of - 20% of your time at Google should be spent working on anything you want, as long as it's in some way constructive (ie, spending it learning new languages or working on open-source projects is fine, spending it playing Descent is at least a violation of the spirit of the rule). That may be what you're thinking of.

They're not the only big tech company to have a policy like this, though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

On the SA front page there are two sections, front page articles and current content. If I don't get around to checking the site for a while it's pretty easy to find any front page articles I've missed since they're all archived chronologically, but is there some way to see what's appeared in "current content" recently without checking the archives for every section in the site directory? There are some things that show up there sporadically (like WTF D&D or Fashion SWAT) that I like to read when I see them, but I don't always notice they've been posted until they scroll off.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Its also so people will watch that last section of Ads.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'm going through old newspapers at work and some of the ones I come across seem to be on bluish-green paper. Is there a reason for this? I've seen it in a couple issues from 1967 and 1979, is it a weird decay thing or a special kind of ink? I know at least the ones from the '70s are standard circulation papers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Xenoborg posted:

Its also so people will watch that last section of Ads.

They also like to segue directly from one show into another without ads in between.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I got a rebate from acuvue in the form of one of those preloaded citibank $50 debit card things. Is there any way at all to get the money off the loving thing and into my debit account? Their FAQ doesn't say anything.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

An observer posted:

I got a rebate from acuvue in the form of one of those preloaded citibank $50 debit card things. Is there any way at all to get the money off the loving thing and into my debit account? Their FAQ doesn't say anything.

A bank teller might be able to help you there. Going to a branch is more useful than doing this by phone or online.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

An observer posted:

Look in the card terms of service for a section on "Cash Advances". Your bank should be able to advance the cash off the card and then deposit that into your account without issue. I've not known banks to charge for this service, but your card just might, so double check.

If you ask them to pull of $50 and it tries to take a $5 fee out as well, the card will get rejected and then you'll have to wait 24 hours to try again with your bank (that's been a consistent rule w/ banks from what I've seen)

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

stubblyhead posted:

What makes you think it's going to be over $100? Check out Michael's or Artco or whatever arts and crafts places you have nearby, I bet it will be cheaper than you expect.

Uhh yeah Michael's just quoted me $300. With a 60% off discount.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ok this is going to sound dumb since I'm the person people usually ask computer questions of, but:
How do I ensure that a new window opens on one monitor consistently? I've got two monitors (Windows 7) and this keeps coming up:
1. Click email in Thunderbird in right monitor
2. Double click PDF attachment, click OK to open (still in right monitor)
3. PDF Opens in left monitor
4. Cursing as I drag new Acrobat over to the right monitor

It seems to happen about half the time. I thought I fixed it once using the Windows Key + Arrow Key trick but that isn't working now.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I booked a flight on American Airlines a few months ago and recently got an email about a schedule change. This schedule change would push back my arrival at my destination back about 3 and a half hours.

I've been having second thoughts about this trip, especially since the day I get back, classes start and I don't want to miss that because of a potential delay. Can I use the schedule change as a reason to cancel my booking without any fees?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Cute as heck posted:

Uhh yeah Michael's just quoted me $300. With a 60% off discount.

Yeah actually I was going to say DON'T go to Michaels because their prices are a loving joke. They're not a real framing store, their frames are cheap garbage, and yet they charge ridiculous prices for them. Check out local framing shops. Not poster shops in the mall or art supply stores. The prices for this of thing are honestly all over the map depending on where you go, but you shouldn't have much trouble finding something in your budget if you try a few places.

Conversely, if you want to go a slightly easier route, there's a shop on Amazon that does custom sizes for pretty cheap. No guarantees on what the quality is without seeing it in person, though, and return shipping is expensive. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_home-garden?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Craig%20Frames%20Inc.&node=1055398

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

An observer posted:

Pay yourself via Paypal?

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

gooby on rails posted:

They also like to segue directly from one show into another without ads in between.

I guess that make sense, pretty sure theres another ad break before the next show here so it seems extra stupid.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

I guess that make sense, pretty sure theres another ad break before the next show here so it seems extra stupid.

Not always. Shows on E! have that commercial and then 90 seconds more show, but then they go straight into the following show. NBC operates the same way; usually I've seen Community slide smoothly into 30 Rock or whatever. IIRC, CBS goes the route of squeezing another ad out of it.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Melicious posted:

Yeah actually I was going to say DON'T go to Michaels because their prices are a loving joke. They're not a real framing store, their frames are cheap garbage, and yet they charge ridiculous prices for them. Check out local framing shops. Not poster shops in the mall or art supply stores. The prices for this of thing are honestly all over the map depending on where you go, but you shouldn't have much trouble finding something in your budget if you try a few places.

Conversely, if you want to go a slightly easier route, there's a shop on Amazon that does custom sizes for pretty cheap. No guarantees on what the quality is without seeing it in person, though, and return shipping is expensive. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_home-garden?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Craig%20Frames%20Inc.&node=1055398

Yeah, I'm gonna try and find a local place that does framing, but if that fails I'll try out that Amazon dude, thanks! =]

Poknok
Mar 14, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Imgur currently doesn't work for me so this'll have to do. I found three packs of bubblegum from 1969, US Adams brand. I can still smell the artificial aroma through the packaging, but I doubt that 43 year old bubblegum is still edible. I didn't open them.

Is this stuff sellable, I mean, is there anyone out there who would collect and buy this poo poo? I would kinda hate to throw this stuff away, they look so nice.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Ok this is going to sound dumb since I'm the person people usually ask computer questions of, but:
How do I ensure that a new window opens on one monitor consistently? I've got two monitors (Windows 7) and this keeps coming up:
1. Click email in Thunderbird in right monitor
2. Double click PDF attachment, click OK to open (still in right monitor)
3. PDF Opens in left monitor
4. Cursing as I drag new Acrobat over to the right monitor

It seems to happen about half the time. I thought I fixed it once using the Windows Key + Arrow Key trick but that isn't working now.

For me it seems that things almost always open in the monitor they were last closed on. One noticeable exception to this is Acrobat always opens on my side monitor regardless of where it was closed.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Poknok posted:

Imgur currently doesn't work for me so this'll have to do. I found three packs of bubblegum from 1969, US Adams brand. I can still smell the artificial aroma through the packaging, but I doubt that 43 year old bubblegum is still edible. I didn't open them.

Is this stuff sellable, I mean, is there anyone out there who would collect and buy this poo poo? I would kinda hate to throw this stuff away, they look so nice.

Searching ebay for "adams chewing gum" brings up a lot of stuff so you may be able to sell it.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
What's the study called and anyone have a link to a good layman's explanation of how language works in our brain, not for purposes of communicating with another but just that language allowing us to think complex concepts?

I need to change the oil in my truck today, could I do this or even know the need to do it without language? Could I even drive? We weren't born with cars and trucks so there's no instinct to take care of them like there is and instinct to eat, gently caress and take care of the kids which were created by loving. Without language I would have no concept of what 4000 miles is, but could I pull out my dipstick and see that it was black and needed changed? How would I even know to do that? Blow a bunch of engines until I realize that when the oil turns black put more in?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Wagonburner posted:

What's the study called and anyone have a link to a good layman's explanation of how language works in our brain, not for purposes of communicating with another but just that language allowing us to think complex concepts?

I need to change the oil in my truck today, could I do this or even know the need to do it without language? Could I even drive? We weren't born with cars and trucks so there's no instinct to take care of them like there is and instinct to eat, gently caress and take care of the kids which were created by loving. Without language I would have no concept of what 4000 miles is, but could I pull out my dipstick and see that it was black and needed changed? How would I even know to do that? Blow a bunch of engines until I realize that when the oil turns black put more in?

Check out Wikipedia's article on language deprivation experiments (which interestingly redirects from 'forbidden experiment') to see the effects this has had:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_deprivation_experiments