Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm playing through 2 since I can't afford 3D and I totally forgot what a loving drag the intro is. Who thought it was a good idea to make you play boring mini games and hang out for the first 3 hours of a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

DrManiac posted:

I'm playing through 2 since I can't afford 3D and I totally forgot what a loving drag the intro is. Who thought it was a good idea to make you play boring mini games and hang out for the first 3 hours of a game?

Even skipping all the cutscenes, I only got the prologue part down to ~1hr. It's pretty ridiculously long.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DrManiac posted:

I kinda like it, although I agree it is kinda long. You get thrown into an unfamiliar place with an unfamiliar character and are like "wtf?" And then weird poo poo starts happening to him and he is saying "wtf?" right along with you. But the end of it is kinda sad.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I kinda like it, although I agree it is kinda long. You get thrown into an unfamiliar place with an unfamiliar character and are like "wtf?" And then weird poo poo starts happening to him and he is saying "wtf?" right along with you. But the end of it is kinda sad.

And it only took like another 4 games before any of the intro made sense!

Shiran
Feb 20, 2003

I beat Dream Drop Distance today and I loved it. Country of the Musketeers is my favorite world, its dialog was cute and I always love fights with Pete. My only real problem with this game is that I don't like the pet leveling system, I hope melding commands is brought back in KH3. And gently caress Spellican.

Was anyone else disappointed with Aqua's quick scene in the secret movie? I was hoping for information about her Realm of Darkness adventure in the supposed Birth by Sleep Volume 2 but Aqua doesn't say or do anything. Aqua just stands around quietly for a couple seconds and that's it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

And it only took like another 4 games before any of the intro made sense!

They explain it in the same game. What part do you not get?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They explain it in the same game. What part do you not get?

The majority of Roxas' backstory, which is inherently Sora's backstory as well as Ven's, is explained gradually over each game that has come out since.

MadiTC
May 31, 2011
At what point do I start getting materials for things like the bear and elephant and other things that aren't the dumb cat dog? I'm really getting annoyed having all these materials and nothing new to make them with.

Also when do more Flick Rush tournaments open up? I've been stuck with the tutorial and the first cup for a while now.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

MadiTC posted:

Also when do more Flick Rush tournaments open up? I've been stuck with the tutorial and the first cup for a while now.

I believe the next cup unlocks after you beat The Grid.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The majority of Roxas' backstory, which is inherently Sora's backstory as well as Ven's, is explained gradually over each game that has come out since.

They explain his basic backstory in the game, which is enough to understand the prologue.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
You're just getting told the origin story now :)

Something that blew my mind, is that the FMV intro to KH2 is just a summary of the KH1 ending, and Chains of Memories.

One of the best video game intros in recent memory too.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I beat the game tonight and I just want something to be clear:
So the seven lights: they're Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Aqua, Ventus and Lea, correct? Lea's there instead of Terra, who's stuck on the losing team (darkness) what with having been possessed and all.

Also, I know a lot of people are sick of worlds like Agrabah and Olympus Colisseum, but I think it'd be neat if we saw some of these worlds being used in creative ways in KH3, for example Xehanort crashes Halloween Town into Wonderland to draw Alice out or something, and you end up exploring this mish-mash of the two with Jack Skellington at your side, or the Black Pearl takes a wrong turn and ends up sailing the seas above Atlantica; the sort of crossover stuff that you wouldn't see anywhere else. For me the coolest part of KH1 was Beast's appearance in Hollow Bastion and having him help you take down Maleficent, and I'd like to see more of that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't want another KH2 Atlantica but I would love it if every Disney world had a musical minigame using an actual song from their movies. Also please please please put random bystanders in the worlds

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I beat the game tonight and I just want something to be clear:
So the seven lights: they're Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Aqua, Ventus and Lea, correct? Lea's there instead of Terra, who's stuck on the losing team (darkness) what with having been possessed and all.

The seventh light is not Lea, it's either Roxas (as hinted by the opening video) or Kairi (as hinted by the secret ending).

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Also, I know a lot of people are sick of worlds like Agrabah and Olympus Colisseum, but I think it'd be neat if we saw some of these worlds being used in creative ways in KH3, for example Xehanort crashes Halloween Town into Wonderland to draw Alice out or something, and you end up exploring this mish-mash of the two with Jack Skellington at your side, or the Black Pearl takes a wrong turn and ends up sailing the seas above Atlantica; the sort of crossover stuff that you wouldn't see anywhere else. For me the coolest part of KH1 was Beast's appearance in Hollow Bastion and having him help you take down Maleficent, and I'd like to see more of that.

From what I remember, Disney is pretty adamant about not crossing the worlds over into one another other than the FF characters visiting and the core Disney guys(Mickey and gang) hanging out there too. That's why we've never had Beast as a permanent party member, for example. Or seen Jafar and Ursula do some big magic teamup shenanigans.

The original worlds(like Hollow Bastion) are an exception to this I imagine.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I finally beat BBS. It's a good game but I hate how one of its worlds is basically non-world (Disney Town) and another starts out bad and gets worse each time you come back to it (Deep Space). The Disneytown minigames kinda sucked and the command board would have been just as bad if not for it's effects on the real game.

Second Chance and One More Time being practically essential for non KH savants was also pretty lame.

On my Aqua playthrough I got the rare combination raging storm while trying to make triple firaga, and that's basically an I-win button for every non-boss encounter in the game.

MadiTC
May 31, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I finally beat BBS. It's a good game but I hate how one of its worlds is basically non-world (Disney Town) and another starts out bad and gets worse each time you come back to it (Deep Space). The Disneytown minigames kinda sucked and the command board would have been just as bad if not for it's effects on the real game.

Second Chance and One More Time being practically essential for non KH savants was also pretty lame.

On my Aqua playthrough I got the rare combination raging storm while trying to make triple firaga, and that's basically an I-win button for every non-boss encounter in the game.

Sir/Madam you are a crazy individual. I would KILL for the command board in 3D, and the command melding from BBS. All this dream eater poo poo annoys the crap out of me, especially after learning I can't keep some abilities unless I have their dream eater equipped.

This new game is just making me miss BBS, and is making me long for Aqua. I miss Aqua. :(

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MadiTC posted:

Sir/Madam you are a crazy individual. I would KILL for the command board in 3D, and the command melding from BBS. All this dream eater poo poo annoys the crap out of me, especially after learning I can't keep some abilities unless I have their dream eater equipped.

This new game is just making me miss BBS, and is making me long for Aqua. I miss Aqua. :(

In my opinion, the only worthwhile thing about the command board was that it leveled up your commands. The actual game was boring as hell. If there was some menu option that put the game to sleep for 30 minutes then leveled up all of your commands that would have been preferable.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

From what I remember, Disney is pretty adamant about not crossing the worlds over into one another other than the FF characters visiting and the core Disney guys(Mickey and gang) hanging out there too. That's why we've never had Beast as a permanent party member, for example. Or seen Jafar and Ursula do some big magic teamup shenanigans.

The original worlds(like Hollow Bastion) are an exception to this I imagine.

So as far as cross overs go Disney is like, the worst company to work with?

Square should scrap KH and make a looney toons/ dragon quest cross over series :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DrManiac posted:

I dunno. I mean the fact that Disney even let them do this game in the first place, and eventually let them use Mickey as much as they have (that's the most shocking really), I think they are pretty easy to work with. They do seem to be a bit strict about some stuff, but the villains have crossovers. In the first game you had all the villains in one room in a few parts of the game talking to each other. And Maleficent is everywhere. In fact the other big crossover I can think of with Disney (Who Framed Roger Rabbit) Warner Bros. was actually the ones who had the more strict demands about their characters. Specifically Bugs had to have the exact same screentime and same amount of lines as Mickey.

Also can I just say that I do not understand why the big main Disney villain is Maleficent. Sleeping Beauty was not that great, how did she become like the leader of the villains? Cause it's not just the Kingdom Hearts series that this happens. On the other hand Pete being brought in everywhere is awesome, cause Pete is awesome and Jim Cummings is awesome.

Having such free reign with Mickey is really surprising. The first game he was only seen at the very end. Since then he has appeared everywhere. It's great that Disney is allowing it, because Mickey has been nothing but a glorified mascot for way too long. He's a great character Disney, you need to use him more :unsmith:. Related, I wonder if they'll have Oswald in the next Kingdom Hearts, now that Disney has the rights to use him again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Also can I just say that I do not understand why the big main Disney villain is Maleficent. Sleeping Beauty was not that great, how did she become like the leader of the villains? Cause it's not just the Kingdom Hearts series that this happens. On the other hand Pete being brought in everywhere is awesome, cause Pete is awesome and Jim Cummings is awesome.

I bet it's partially that shes one of the cooler looking Disney villains. Also, with a lot of Disney villains it would just seem weird to have them being some big, string pulling, magical force of darkness. It seems natural with Maleficant but could you imagine it being Gaston, Captain Hook or the Evil Stepmother? Jafar might have worked but he still seems a little too comical.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

DrManiac posted:

Square should scrap KH and make a looney toons/ dragon quest cross over series :v:

Final Fantasy/Hanna-Barbara :colbert:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Anyone have any good dream eater suggestions for Flick Rush? Besides Zolephant, who owns. But I need other people who have powerful lockdown moves, as well.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The other Disney Villains can be in charge when they turn into a giant goddamn dragon for their final battle. Even Jafar only had the chops to turn himself into a snake.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

YggiDee posted:

The other Disney Villains can be in charge when they turn into a giant goddamn dragon for their final battle.

A giant dragon...using all the powers of hell. :devil:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh thank goodness, Zero Graviza (found it in a chest in Riku's side of Fantasia) is pretty much Magnega. The animation tricks you into thinking you're stationary when using it but you can jump around and whack enemies just like the good old days.

On a related note, Symphony of Sorcery is the best level; can I just stay here forever

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is someone here hating on Maleficent? She's pretty much the only Disney villain who had the chops to be downright scary.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Is someone here hating on Maleficent? She's pretty much the only Disney villain who had the chops to be downright scary.

I'm not necessarily hating on Maleficent per say. I just think it's odd because Sleeping Beauty is just ok in my opinion and not really that memorable. Not that I have any other good suggestion for which other villain could use, and I agree her look/turning into a dragon makes sense. It just still feels like an odd choice.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Pureauthor posted:

The Horned King. :smug:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The best part of Sleeping Beauty is how it is the story of three magic grandma fairies against a hell-witch and the girl and the prince are basically there to pad screen time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

The best part of Sleeping Beauty is how it is the story of three magic grandma fairies against a hell-witch and the girl and the prince are basically there to pad screen time.

Those stupid fairies.

"Oh we have to not use any magic, so we can make sure Aurora isn't found!" *the fairies have a magic fight* :mad:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Wait, so, Maleficent and the queen from Snow White aren't the same character? :raise:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

VaultAggie posted:

The Horned King. :smug:

You could label that guy "Generic Lich 17B" and you wouldn't be able to tell if he were from a Disney movie or a high end Deviantart page. Maleficant is pretty distinctive looking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fun fact: Maleficent isn't a witch or a queen. She's an evil fairy!

(3DS even references this, weirdly enough) Xehanort talks about how he got "that fairy" to do poo poo for him.

Sleeping Beauty is just a story about fairy infighting. :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Sleeping Beauty is just a story about fairy infighting. :colbert:

Doesn't it all start because Maleficent wasn't invited to a party, so she decides to kill someone?

Anyway she was probably chosen as the main Disney villain for these games because she looks the most videogame-y.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chernabog is the worst boss fight in the game. One of my most anticipated bosses and he's just nothing but a wasted potential gimmick fight. Thank you, Nomura.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Chernabog is the worst boss fight in the game. One of my most anticipated bosses and he's just nothing but a wasted potential gimmick fight. Thank you, Nomura.

You already fought him in Kingdom Hearts 1. I assume that is why they gimmicked it up here.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Meowjesty posted:

Wait, so, Maleficent and the queen from Snow White aren't the same character? :raise:
The Evil Queen is a different character, yes. "TAKE A BITE!!"

EDIT: I loving hate dying in a Portal and having to do the whole loving room again. They should just let you retry the loving portal

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 11, 2012

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Anyway she was probably chosen as the main Disney villain for these games because she looks the most videogame-y.

You don't say?