Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

That was my count, and is the combination that makes the most sense. Which means it's probably completely incorrect :v:

What's going to happen is this:

They mentioned 7 of Light, 13 of Darkness and then mentioned a Keyblade (or blades?) of Heart. The 7 Lights are going to be Riku, Kairi, Lea, Terra, Aqua, Ven and Mickey and then Sora is going to have the Keyblade of Heart to justify why he is the protagonist despite being entirely inept and everyone having to save his rear end constantly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

They mentioned 7 of Light, 13 of Darkness and then mentioned a Keyblade (or blades?) of Heart. The 7 Lights are going to be Riku, Kairi, Lea, Terra, Aqua, Ven and Mickey and then Sora is going to have the Keyblade of Heart to justify why he is the protagonist despite being entirely inept and everyone having to save his rear end constantly.

Let's be fair now. Every single protagonist character in this series has hosed up and has been in need of saving at one point or another.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

Kairi is probably the Keyblade of Heart, I mean she has a heart of pure light and all!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Keyblade of Heart is going to be... MALEFICENT! Shocking twiist!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Macaluso posted:

The Keyblade of Heart is going to be... MALEFICENT! Shocking twiist!

And then she takes off her mask and then we get the long awaited debut of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

But seriously who can really say? All I've learned is that discussing KH's story will leave you confused, scared, and in need of a straitjacket.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's bizarre to me how they decide who succeeds in these Mark of Mastery tests. Terra doesn't get to be a master because he has darkness inside of him, but his test was just smashing floating orbs and Riku gets to be one because he helped his friend from being taken control of, but Sora really didn't get a chance to be in that scenario so it's kind of not fair to him that he doesn't get it? I don't know, I can't imagine trying to figure how they design these tests.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's bizarre to me how they decide who succeeds in these Mark of Mastery tests. Terra doesn't get to be a master because he has darkness inside of him, but his test was just smashing floating orbs and Riku gets to be one because he helped his friend from being taken control of, but Sora really didn't get a chance to be in that scenario so it's kind of not fair to him that he doesn't get it? I don't know, I can't imagine trying to figure how they design these tests.

I'm pretty sure the latter two are because Yen Cid is a dick. Seriously, he knows the circumstances of what happened and he still is like "Nope, sorry kid. Because you didn't save someone you've failed."

Granted, I haven't even played DDD yet, but I am trying to decide if it's finally worth grabbing a 3DS for.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ShadeofDante posted:

I'm pretty sure the latter two are because Yen Cid is a dick. Seriously, he knows the circumstances of what happened and he still is like "Nope, sorry kid. Because you didn't save someone you've failed."

Granted, I haven't even played DDD yet, but I am trying to decide if it's finally worth grabbing a 3DS for.

First of all, yes it is worth it.

Second, it seems like only one person can pass the exam. Also, with regards to Terra and Aqua, I was under the impression that what they did was the final exam, and all their training was kind of like what Sora and Riku did... Well, what Yen Sid thought they were doing, at least.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

First of all, yes it is worth it.

Second, it seems like only one person can pass the exam. Also, with regards to Terra and Aqua, I was under the impression that what they did was the final exam, and all their training was kind of like what Sora and Riku did... Well, what Yen Sid thought they were doing, at least.

Didn't Yen Sid mention from the start that either both, neither or only one of them could pass?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The whole thing regarding keyblades and the tests are absolutely retarded anyway.

So someone was a big evil rear end in a top hat, you defeat his nobody and heartless, now THE REAL big evil rear end in a top hat is back, so what stops him from doing the same poo poo again? Aren't you technically killing someone then?

So what if Sora failed the test, he's saved a gazillion worlds twice while Riku was DARKNESS DARKNESS.

Putting way to much thought into this but convoluted mess of the story combined with the overall stupidity of how everything is built is just aggravating sometimes.

heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm beating the super special secret 6 star boss portals with Sora but not getting any drops from it, and the portals are still there on the map when I return to normal gameplay. What gives?
No man not the boss secret portals you get post-game, you just want the regular special portals (wow that sounds dumb no matter how I write it...) that're a couple waves of agonizing combinations of Dream Eaters. Which ones pop up on a Drop are randomized, what they drop is also randomized, and I've noticed that if you're in post-game (assuming you are if you're seeing boss secret portals) then portals that you've defeated already can stop appearing. I'm not sure if that means you just need to beat a couple new ones or actually clear all of Special Portals(not Secret) on every world. At least that's what I had to do to get them to reshuffle correctly again. Admittedly annoying. Especially because the Grid hated Riku for like 20 Drops on my file. At least you get a Keyblade that looks like the Soul Calibur or something.

Also my two cents on the test: I think the way Eraqus and Yen Sid run the test is basically "you pass if you prove you have a complete handle on your own darkness." Aqua never had a problem in this aspect, but Terra hesitated at the last second, so she passed and he failed. As for Sora and Riku, Sora got dragged down into darkness--but it was still technically HIS darkness because Xehanort hadn't possessed him yet--by Xehanort so he failed. Riku, at some point during the test OR while he was bailing Sora's rear end out, proved that he was now completely resistant to darkness-related bullshit. I would say they're kind of being jerks about it, but in a sensible way: no current or former Keyblade Master wants to be the guy who passes the next Xehanort-level psycho. I mean geezus I think Eraqus is an idiot, but how dumb was HIS Master?

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
The Mark of Mastery is an arbitrary qualification exam designed to limit the amount of keyblade masters and enhance the current masters' prestiges. It's a keyblade cartel

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JesusSinfulHands posted:

The Mark of Mastery is an arbitrary qualification exam designed to limit the amount of keyblade masters and enhance the current masters' prestiges. It's a keyblade cartel

All the keyblades are owned by one company who only releases a small amount per year to keep them rare

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I love how despite the fact that I've read the Google Doc, summaries for the other games, and have thoroughly read this thread, I still don't know half of what the gently caress you guys are talking about.
KH3D is my first KH game. I suppose the other games are as pretentious and nonsensical as this, right?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Calaveron posted:

I love how despite the fact that I've read the Google Doc, summaries for the other games, and have thoroughly read this thread, I still don't know half of what the gently caress you guys are talking about.
KH3D is my first KH game. I suppose the other games are as pretentious and nonsensical as this, right?

I don't know about pretentious, but the entire plot is totally bizarre and Nomura is nuts. The first game is fairly normal, though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don't know about pretentious, but the entire plot is totally bizarre and Nomura is nuts. The first game is fairly normal, though.

All I can wonder while playing KH3D is if Christopher Lee hated playing a character in these games more than he (probably) hated playing Count Dooku.

heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer

Calaveron posted:

All I can wonder while playing KH3D is if Christopher Lee hated playing a character in these games more than he (probably) hated playing Count Dooku.

Uh, I could be totally wrong, but after having to watch the ending credits for 3D three times to get the secret movie, I'm pretty sure he's not in this game. Ansem the Wise is done by Corey Burton. He was actually replaced a couple games ago wasn't he?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

heroiccreampuff posted:

Uh, I could be totally wrong, but after having to watch the ending credits for 3D three times to get the secret movie, I'm pretty sure he's not in this game. Ansem the Wise is done by Corey Burton. He was actually replaced a couple games ago wasn't he?

I was actually talking about Yen Sid but a cursory glance indicates he never even played the character, despite the fact both sound pretty similar.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Corey Burton's been doing replacement duty for Christopher Lee and he's sounded less and less like him with every game he's voicing his characters in. Seriously, there's so much discrepancy between their voices.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It seems weird that Christopher Lee was able to reprise Ansem in 358/2 Days but not the more-important plotwise BBS and DDD. Maybe it was an actor scheduling issue. Or maybe they blew the budget on glitter for those last two games.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I hadn't checked anything for 3D yet and was wondering how Sora sounds now that Haley Joel Osment is 24. Watched a trailer and found out the answer is hilarious, especially so because of the more youthful looks in 3D. He better have like a mustache our some five o'clock shadow in 3 or I'm not gonna take him seriously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

effervescible posted:

It seems weird that Christopher Lee was able to reprise Ansem in 358/2 Days but not the more-important plotwise BBS and DDD. Maybe it was an actor scheduling issue. Or maybe they blew the budget on glitter for those last two games.

Christopher Lee is old. He is really, really, really old and his health isn't the greatest. To my understanding he's been turning down pretty much any acting role which can't actually come to him. He's playing Saruman again in The Hobbit only because Peter Jackson specifically went out of his way to accommodate him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 14, 2012

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
No Christopher Lee has to live forever :smith: That's the rule.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

effervescible posted:

No Christopher Lee has to live forever :smith: That's the rule.

Fool! Your disregard for proper grammar and punctuation has doomed Christopher Lee :argh:
(when he dies will they uncover his files from when he was a super secret government agent?)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

Christopher Lee is old. He is really, really, really old and his health isn't the greatest. To my understanding he's been during down pretty much any acting role which can't actually come to him. He's playing Saruman again in The Hobbit only because Peter Jackson specifically went out of his way to accommodate him.

Being reminded of how old and frail Christopher Lee is is always a :smith: moment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Being reminded of how old and frail Christopher Lee is is always a :smith: moment.

Tell me about it. :smith:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Honestly, it seems kind of lame that Terra is forced to be on the side of the bad guys for the final showdown . I Man, sure he hosed up, but he didn't really do anything worse then Riku did, and he clearly tried to make up for it, so it feels a lot like a middle finger to a guy who didn't do anything wrong on purpose.

Also I just beat 3D, and honestly felt the game was a step down from both 2 and Birth By Sleep. It seemed like the game wanted you to grind a whole lot more, the characters didn't feel as fluid, and no matter how much you grind the bosses were more 'dodge until they stop and let you whack on them for a bit' then usual, where you could sometimes cancel out a boss's attacks. Several times I would just get stunlocked by a normal enemy I couldn't see and die, because Once More and Second Chance are so hard to find.

Also gently caress the Drop Mechanic that is a horrendous idea. And I would like real party members next game instead of Pokemon.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm cool with non numbered games having silly gimmicks. Makes them worthwhile instead of being a neutered game in comparison.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Flare_knight posted:

Honestly, it seems kind of lame that Terra is forced to be on the side of the bad guys for the final showdown . I Man, sure he hosed up, but he didn't really do anything worse then Riku did, and he clearly tried to make up for it, so it feels a lot like a middle finger to a guy who didn't do anything wrong on purpose.

I think part of Terra's character is that he got hosed over literally every time he tried to do something right.

He tries to help his friends? He's helping Maleficent collect their hearts.
He's trying to save the Master he thinks understands him? He creates a very powerful enemy in Braig that will come to plague keyblade wielders.
He tries help Ven? He kills the man who treated him like a son and welcomes more DARKNESS into his heart.
He tries to right everything wrong he did? He gets his body stolen by an old man and becomes the major villain of the series against his will.

Really, Terra's life sort of sucks no matter what he does and seeing it come full circle is just fitting and the only consistent thing this series has really done. Although he is a lot cooler by another name, Lingering Will.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Holy poo poo, the Keyblade you get from beating all the secret portals is amazing. I only got Sora's, is Riku's the same?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I only played a little bit of Kingdom Hearts but didn't beat it, and I skimmed that Powerpoint document and still had no loving clue what was going on 90% of the time. If I had to watch one more cutscene with Sora or Riku blathering on about Darkness and Light and unbreakable friendships and cutscenes where one character suddenly becomes another I was going to omit my lower intestines out.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Also, I made my first Star rank critter, an Aura Lion. Time to gently caress over the Flick Rush folks. Flick Rush owns, actually.

Also, has anyone managed to actually make a Skelterwild? Or a Ryu Dragon? The constituent parts for them never seem to drop, ever. And I don't think you can buy them either. I can't even imagine how much grinding I'd have to do to make a Star-rank

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

gonna c/p this from GameFAQs for you:

quote:

If you can't find the material in either of the two lists above (referring to materials dropped by Dream EAters, or bought in the shop) then it will be found in a Special Portal. Each World has it's own list of unique materials that can only be found via Special Portals, so that will at least narrow down the search. However, the reward from completing it is still random, luckily they can only drop Fantasy Materials, so that narrows down it's drop list considerably.

Twilight(sic) Town
-Malleable Fantasy
-Charming Fantasy

La Cite Des Cloches
-Malleable Fantasy

Pranksters Paradise
-Prikly Fantasy

The Grid
-Malleable Fantasy

Country of the Muskateers
-Prikly Fantasy

Symphiny of Scorcery
-Epic Fantasy

The World that Never Was
-Wild Fantasy
-Brilliant Fantasy

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 14, 2012

heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Holy poo poo, the Keyblade you get from beating all the secret portals is amazing. I only got Sora's, is Riku's the same?
End of Pain? Yep it's the same for both. I don't really get the freaky-eyed-butterfly keychain on it though. Seriously anybody got an idea on what that's supposed to be about?

Also--Twilight Town? Bobman I think the guide you c/ped has an error there.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
They probably mean Traverse Town.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the best way to grind Spirits for all the Abilities this game has? I have a few Dream Eaters I like and use, but I don't like ditching them for a couple newbie retards that I have to constantly play Water Barrels with to even be able to survive half as well. Please tell me there's an easy or non-retarded way of doing it.

And how can I get them to boost my stats more? I feel like I'm way underpowered even though I've ground a good lot of levels already yet still get my rear end kicked by those t-rex enemies.

What's the main draw of Flick Rush? To get medals and a bunch of materials, or...?

Also this game is hard as gently caress. I'm on what I presume is the final world and Sora's bosses are a loving pain to beat. I got Xehanort down to a bar of health left and he managed to stunlock me from full health to dead. :mad:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

What's the best way to grind Spirits for all the Abilities this game has? I have a few Dream Eaters I like and use, but I don't like ditching them for a couple newbie retards that I have to constantly play Water Barrels with to even be able to survive half as well. Please tell me there's an easy or non-retarded way of doing it.

And how can I get them to boost my stats more? I feel like I'm way underpowered even though I've ground a good lot of levels already yet still get my rear end kicked by those t-rex enemies.

What's the main draw of Flick Rush? To get medals and a bunch of materials, or...?

Also this game is hard as gently caress. I'm on what I presume is the final world and Sora's bosses are a loving pain to beat. I got Xehanort down to a bar of health left and he managed to stunlock me from full health to dead. :mad:

Water Barrels are about it, sadly. It's faster than anything else I found.

Flick Rush is an incredibly easy way to earn money and rare items. The Slot Edge move that you can buy costs 150 medals and sells for 600 munny. Buy a couple and sell them and you'll be swimming in cash for whatever you need.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Christopher Lee is old. He is really, really, really old and his health isn't the greatest. To my understanding he's been turning down pretty much any acting role which can't actually come to him. He's playing Saruman again in The Hobbit only because Peter Jackson specifically went out of his way to accommodate him.

The fact that he's a huge Tolkein fan probably also helps. I doubt he feels as strongly about Nomura.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

heroiccreampuff posted:

End of Pain? Yep it's the same for both. I don't really get the freaky-eyed-butterfly keychain on it though. Seriously anybody got an idea on what that's supposed to be about?

Also--Twilight Town? Bobman I think the guide you c/ped has an error there.

uhh you must get a different one for beating all the Special Portals, too? The one I'm talking about is Unbound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Pollyanna posted:

I trained my 4 year old to enjoy Water Barrels. I'm going to hell.