Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

DemonMage posted:

Skype uses very little. I'd imagine most use very little these days though since they should be using C2DM/GCM since forever ago.

Skype auto-signs out for me after about half an hour or so. This has persisted across devices, and I used to be able to leave it on pretty much permanently in the background, so I assume it's something server-side. Kind of frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Skype is ridiculously slow and clunky on my phone :(

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

spincube posted:

Skype auto-signs out for me after about half an hour or so. This has persisted across devices, and I used to be able to leave it on pretty much permanently in the background, so I assume it's something server-side. Kind of frustrating.

Yeah, I've had some unfortunate issues with it lately, though it's rarely that consistent. Most days it works just fine, then on rare occasion it'll sign itself out and refuse to sign back in. Only happened the last month or so though. But it's what everyone uses on desktop for me, and usually works fine on my phone, so ehh. Hopefully they get poo poo sorted but it's not too terrible usually.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I need a car maintenance app because i'm really really bad at keeping track of when i need to do maintenance on my car.

I see a couple of apps, aCar and Car Maintenance Reminder (Free and paid options each). Anyone have any suggestions as to which i should get, or if there are other apps i'm not aware of? Thanks!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Mister Fister posted:

I need a car maintenance app because i'm really really bad at keeping track of when i need to do maintenance on my car.

I see a couple of apps, aCar and Car Maintenance Reminder (Free and paid options each). Anyone have any suggestions as to which i should get, or if there are other apps i'm not aware of? Thanks!

I've been using aCar for over a year now and I like it. Granted, I use it primarily for mileage monitoring, but I do have reminders set for maintenance based on time and/or mileage, and that works pretty well. It can be a little overwhelming initially setting up those reminders, but once they're there, you're pretty much set.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Another vote for aCar.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

XIII posted:

TweetLanes is really nice, but for some reason I still prefer Boid. I use Boid 95% of the time and Lanes the other 5%, just to see how it's coming along. I finally uninstalled the official app a few days ago since I never use it anymore.

I look forward to using Boid once it gets notifications. It seems to be the nicest of all the Twitter apps. Unfortunately, without notifications, I'd never remember to check Twitter.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I look forward to using Boid once it gets notifications. It seems to be the nicest of all the Twitter apps. Unfortunately, without notifications, I'd never remember to check Twitter.

Meh, I always turn off notifications since I get them via email (well, when Twitter decides to actually send them), but I could see your point. I'm looking forward to trying Carbon...if it ever comes out.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Thanks guys, i'll check out aCar then.

Edit: Nevermind, i see what hte pro version does.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 12, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

XIII posted:

Meh, I always turn off notifications since I get them via email (well, when Twitter decides to actually send them), but I could see your point. I'm looking forward to trying Carbon...if it ever comes out.

I'm pretty confident in calling Carbon vaporware at this point.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Does the latest beta version of Nova Launcher break the Widgetsoid (or any other) notification toggles for anyone?

Galaxy Nexus, stock rooted.

Edit: xda reports that yes, it does.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 12, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Does the latest beta version of Nova Launcher break the Widgetsoid (or any other) notification toggles for anyone?

Galaxy Nexus, stock rooted.

Edit: xda reports that yes, it does.

I'm about ready to ditch Nova. Nothing huge but weird tiny issues all over the place right when you don't expect them. Launcher Pro v2.0

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm about ready to ditch Nova. Nothing huge but weird tiny issues all over the place right when you don't expect them. Launcher Pro v2.0
Really? I've never had an issue with Nova until now and it's a beta issue, not a release issue.

What do you find wrong with it? It's smooth and the touch areas are better than LP ever was.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Because of my ongoing connection issues with my StraightTalk plan, I want to try one of those "APN apps" that are supposed to set things up "properly" automatically.

Does anyone know of a good one? I'm at my wits end trying to get my new GNex to be able to use data.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Because of my ongoing connection issues with my StraightTalk plan, I want to try one of those "APN apps" that are supposed to set things up "properly" automatically.

Does anyone know of a good one? I'm at my wits end trying to get my new GNex to be able to use data.

Did you call StraightTalk and have them be sure you're set up properly?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Really? I've never had an issue with Nova until now and it's a beta issue, not a release issue.

What do you find wrong with it? It's smooth and the touch areas are better than LP ever was.

Runs fine but it's other things. Even if I have icon labels turned off it displays folder names anyway if they're docked. Most of my gestures I have to do twice before it recognizes what I'm doing and I'm still getting grief from some apps if I try to add their widgets from the drawer.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Runs fine but it's other things. Even if I have icon labels turned off it displays folder names anyway if they're docked. Most of my gestures I have to do twice before it recognizes what I'm doing and I'm still getting grief from some apps if I try to add their widgets from the drawer.
Weird. I'll admit I use none of those features so I can't comment on whether they affect me. It's been nothing but perfect for me since March when they added the swipe dock actions and the beta based on Jelly Bean is smooth as gently caress if only it didn't break Widgetsoid (or I could find a decent replacement that handles what I want properly).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Weird. I'll admit I use none of those features so I can't comment on whether they affect me. It's been nothing but perfect for me since March when they added the swipe dock actions and the beta based on Jelly Bean is smooth as gently caress if only it didn't break Widgetsoid (or I could find a decent replacement that handles what I want properly).

Take it with a grain of salt, I'm just pissy my NS is back to normal pants making GBS threads behavior. Entertaining the idea of going back to 4.0.4 and breaking OTA.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LastInLine posted:

Did you call StraightTalk and have them be sure you're set up properly?

On the phone with them now, no high hopes for "Claire" (:rolleyes:) from tech support being able to do much...especially when so far some of her advice was that "too many apps" take up memory and slow the internet down...

Edit: Yeah, that was a bust. They said everything is fine on their end, and that I "shouldn't expect any internet on less than four bars anyway" while completely ignoring the fact that I said I was in multiple areas earlier with FULL BARS and still no internet/data service.

Fan-loving-tastic. If I can't get this poo poo to work, I'm basically out at least $100, depending on how much I can re-sell my Nexus for.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 12, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Take it with a grain of salt, I'm just pissy my NS is back to normal pants making GBS threads behavior. Entertaining the idea of going back to 4.0.4 and breaking OTA.
Hers isn't anywhere near as bad as it was two weeks ago but it's still fairly shaky. Last reboot was whenever I posted about it not wanting to charge. Awful Betamax still sucks but I showed her how to Force Close it when it starts acting like poo poo and so far she hasn't complained about things being hosed up and every time I've used it it's been snappy.

Before you decide to go to 4.0.4 I'd at least try doing a fastboot flash of JRO03E instead of letting it OTA. Might not solve your problem but it's better than it was for her at least.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I haven't tried the beta but maybe Power Toggles might work.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I haven't tried the beta but maybe Power Toggles might work.
This was the one I was trying to remember when I decided I'd try other notification widgets to see if they'd work. This one does, it actually stays on top properly and while I don't think it looks as good as Widgetsoid it does do intermediate states properly.

I'm going to stick with it for a while, thanks so much! :)

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
What's a good note taking app that allows both writing/drawing with a capacitive pen, a physical keyboard, and also recording audio at the same time? I am thinking about using my nexus 7 (or buying an asus transformer) to take notes in class.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 12, 2012

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mister Fister posted:

What's a good note taking app that allows both writing/drawing with a capacitive pen, a physical keyboard, and also recording audio at the same time? I am thinking about using my nexus 7 (or buying an asus transformer) to take notes in class.

Evernote does all that but the free version has a 60MB/Month limit.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

gmq posted:

Evernote does all that but the free version has a 60MB/Month limit.

Evernote doesn't seem to allow you to draw with a capacative pen and write with a keyboard in the same note though. There seems to be a seperate file for scribbling stuff that you need to use.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Any decent WiFi media syncing apps out there? Basically I just want to have a set list of music synced up with my phone every night, but I haven't found an app that's capable of doing this. I'm sure there's plenty of apps to do it plugged into the computer, but I'm trying to avoid that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Trillian uses push and very little battery if you're looking for multiclient.
I love having Trillian running on my home computer, my work computer, my cell phone and my tablet, all synced together. It even clears away new message notifications from the gadgets when messages are read elsewhere. That's such a peeve of mine with Facebook.

And yeah, seems absolutely negligible insofar as battery life is concerned. I always have it running 24/7.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

bvoid posted:

Any decent WiFi media syncing apps out there? Basically I just want to have a set list of music synced up with my phone every night, but I haven't found an app that's capable of doing this. I'm sure there's plenty of apps to do it plugged into the computer, but I'm trying to avoid that.

It's not free, but I'm a fan of iSyncr Wifi. It also features Tasker integration; so you can automate when it syncs.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

teethgrinder posted:

I love having Trillian running on my home computer, my work computer, my cell phone and my tablet, all synced together. It even clears away new message notifications from the gadgets when messages are read elsewhere. That's such a peeve of mine with Facebook.

And yeah, seems absolutely negligible insofar as battery life is concerned. I always have it running 24/7.

I wish it got a facelift though. It's awful to look at.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is awful? :confused:

edit: oh gently caress, failed with the image size. Forgot my screen's resolution. Anyway, it looks nice to me when it's small and dense on a phone screen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The actual chat interface, specifically.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The actual chat interface, specifically.

Yeah, I agree. It's not like it's unusable or anything but in an ICS/JB world the interface looks outdated.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I wish it got a facelift though. It's awful to look at.

You're going to be waiting a while for a Holo version of Trillian with the way Cerulean Studios runs things.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there an app that disables the on screen soft buttons? I figure maybe there's an app that puts a notification in the bar that when you have it on, the soft keys are disabled. My toddler likes to play around with Skitch in my Nexus 7 and he always hits the home key.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Skeezy posted:

You're going to be waiting a while for a Holo version of Trillian with the way Cerulean Studios runs things.

Soon™

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is there an app that disables the on screen soft buttons? I figure maybe there's an app that puts a notification in the bar that when you have it on, the soft keys are disabled. My toddler likes to play around with Skitch in my Nexus 7 and he always hits the home key.

This isn't exactly possible without a framework modification. It might be possible to have an app that registers itself as a launcher and just does nothing when you hit home, but I don't know that such a thing exists.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
See, the thing is, I like "IMO" for IM, but I can't tell if it's C2DM or not. I know it was late to the party, but I don't know if it still is. It is ICS-lovely, though.

At one time, I paid for Beejive. I should see what that's like again.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 13, 2012

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

What's wrong with the official Twitter client? I used Tweetbot on iOS, but haven't really noticed anything missing in the official app. Plume just looks ugly as all hell by comparison.

Can't stop laughing at the avatar + username + those screenshots combo.

Don't be put off by the anime in the screenshots, Twicca has a very clean interface and is my favorite Twitter client so far. It launches really quickly, loads tweets fast, updates often, and has nice bonus stuff like user-muting and color-coding without feeling like a cluttered mess like Plume. Best of all, it has a very robust in-app image viewer so you don't keep getting bumped out to a Web browser.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Tunga posted:

This isn't exactly possible without a framework modification. It might be possible to have an app that registers itself as a launcher and just does nothing when you hit home, but I don't know that such a thing exists.

drat, this drives me crazy too: the home key is right below the space bar and I keep hitting the side keys by mistake when changing orientation :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Anyone know of a way to make google calendar appointments go straight to the notification bar? I don't want a pop-up reminder, or prompts to snooze, I just want them to show up in the notification bar.

• Locked thread