Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.

DrVenkman posted:

Actually, if you listen to every reference that character makes then you'll notice they're roughly a decade earlier than everyone else.

There's also a throwaway line later about how she can dance up a storm to c+c music factory, which is what she does when we first meet her.

Clapton also says in the beginning she is an old soul trapped in a hot young girl's body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

weekly font posted:

Walking Dead had a really good debut episode and then went nowhere and is borderline unwatchable now. I wonder what the jump the shark moment is going to be that gets your average viewer to give up.

I made it to the end of the first season and then couldn't make myself care enough to watch season two. I never hated it as much as some of you guys do, but it was just... it was a blank spot in my Sunday evenings & generally occurred in the background of dinner. Did it get outright bad/offensive later on, or was it always bad and I was never engaged enough to notice?

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
Is "Dying Breed" worth a watch?

I seem to be on an Ozploitation kick when it comes to films lately, and it's on my Netflix list.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Man, do I love Monster Squad.

What a hard movie to market though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

weekly font posted:

Walking Dead had a really good debut episode and then went nowhere and is borderline unwatchable now. I wonder what the jump the shark moment is going to be that gets your average viewer to give up.

Rick's kid getting shot right when he sees the deer at the start of S2? Or maybe even before that.

I don't know, I thought most of S1 was pretty good v:shobon:v

Though I agree, the quality did decline after the pilot.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Sheitan was a crazy trip. Vincent Cassel's wild eyed toothy grin is hilarious and disturbing at the same time.

Speaking of the French new wave, has there been anything else recently, or is there anything coming up, in this sub-genre or whatever it is? It seems like there was a fairly small time period where there were the movies you mentioned, plus at least a few other interesting little horror throwbacks/mashups like Frontiers. Has the trend run its course, or are we just not hearing about them anymore? I know the director of Inside did one last year called Livid, but the general consensus seemed to be it wasn't anything special.

Livid is apparently less horror film and more fairy tale from hell. I saw some nice reviews for it and will probably give it a go eventually.

Sadly, I do think the trend may be done for. All of the directors have moved onto other projects and styles (The Divide, Tall Man, whatever the hell Aja is doing) and while that bums me out, I guess it's a good thing too. I'd rather see a style go out with something like Martyrs than being milked for all it's worth. It was a helluva good run for those of us who like things a bit nastier. Check out Calvaire too, if you haven't. Very much in that style.

E the Shaggy posted:

I don't necessarily agree with this just because kids loving LOVE monsters. Hey guys look, MONSTERS. Now give us your money. Then again, maybe you are right because that lovely film bombed like hell. A shame.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm going to repeat the praise for The Crazies remake. It was much better than I expected.

And if every episode of The Walking Dead were as good as its season premieres and finales, I probably wouldn't dislike the show as much as I do.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Walking Dead is awful, and a hell of a lot of problems stemmed from the fact that Frank Darabont didn't know what he was doing. He tried writing every episode himself, then fired the writing staff. Then he had to hire new staff and got a writer from 'The Shield' to help him out since he didn't know how to run a writers room.

There was this idea, particularly after the first episode, that Darabont nailed it and that this was going to be just a great show. But it turns pretty bad right after that with the only reason people think the first season is better than the first is because it's half the length.

It gets pretty stagnant fairly quickly, and everyone has completely on-the-nose conversations about who they are and how they feel. Then Season two gets worse by just putting the brakes on everything, at least Season 1 had some momentum. Why people are so excited for the third season I have no idea. It's going to be the same poo poo but in a Prison.

Still, I don't know what I was expecting since Kirkman's comics are loving awful as well.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 14, 2012

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
It rode that tail end of the zombie craze, which I will never understand.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Danger posted:

It rode that tail end of the zombie craze, which I will never understand.

There's still plenty of people that love it, and more power to them. I wish I could see past its failings and enjoy it because occasionally it gets something right. I think the last episode of Season 2 was a step in the right direction. And if it follows some aspects of Kirkman's comics then some great things might happen.

But all that bullshit, like the governor, micchone, the constant rapings, the loving misery of the thing. That just needs to be jettisoned.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Glamorama26 posted:

I don't necessarily agree with this just because kids loving LOVE monsters. Hey guys look, MONSTERS. Now give us your money. Then again, maybe you are right because that lovely film bombed like hell. A shame.

I was only 5 or 6 when this came out in the theatres and there was no way my parents would have taken me to see this, despite it being something I really wanted to see. This was one of the first movies I ever rented though, and I probably rented it 4 or 5 times. When I was old enough to start buying my own movies, the VHS of this was long out of print, so this movie was my white whale for years. I did finally track it down once it was released on DVD.

As for The Walking Dead, my big problem with the show is that it moves way too slowly. Less seems to happen in entire seasons of this show than an average episode of Breaking Bad.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The Walking Dead's second season is INSANELY slow. The "Search for Sophia" should have been a subplot that took one episode, let alone the 8 episodes it actually did.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Well, at least I'm not the only one who didn't like The Walking Dead. I marathoned the first season in spring 2011. I'd heard good things about it so I watched the first episode and it seemed like it was going to be good!

Nope. It's practically a goddamned soap opera full of unlikable characters mostly standing around talking, and then when zombies finally show up, the action sequences are ridiculous, especially for a show trying to portray a "realistic" zombie apocalypse scenario.

I'm not sure how I made it through the whole season, but I never even considered catching season 2.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rewatched Candyman. poo poo, that's an awesome movie. I love how it's almost totally ambiguous whether any of it is even happening or if Helen and then the dude's girlfriend are just loons. It could go both ways and be totally plausible.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

hypersleep posted:

Well, at least I'm not the only one who didn't like The Walking Dead. I marathoned the first season in spring 2011. I'd heard good things about it so I watched the first episode and it seemed like it was going to be good!

Nope. It's practically a goddamned soap opera full of unlikable characters mostly standing around talking, and then when zombies finally show up, the action sequences are ridiculous, especially for a show trying to portray a "realistic" zombie apocalypse scenario.

I'm not sure how I made it through the whole season, but I never even considered catching season 2.

Lori is such an insanely bad character that has personality changes between episodes.

"Rick, you should kill Shane!"
"RICK! WHY DID YOU KILL SHANE? DON'T TOUCH ME!"

Also, Candyman was the scariest movie to me when I was a kid. The deaths were just so horrific and painful looking.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hypersleep posted:

It had a awesome pilot but everything fell apart after that despite the good setup.

Season 2 is even worth due to the glacier like plot and even more suspension of belief ridiculous.

Holdenmagroyn
Mar 17, 2007
40 too long???

CopywrightMMXI posted:

...Less seems to happen in entire seasons of this show than an average episode of Breaking Bad.

True, but you're talking apples and oranges here and I'm still going to watch season three.

Holdenmagroyn
Mar 17, 2007
40 too long???

E the Shaggy posted:

Lori is such an insanely bad character that has personality changes between episodes.

Yes...and I will tune in to season three if but for no other reason that somebody may put a bullet through the oval office's skull.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So REC3 wasn't as bad as I'd heard but there was one thing that kind of annoyed the poo poo out of me.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Late to the party but this thread made me watch Detention and it loving owned. Also contemporary Hanson surprisingly owns as well.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Rhyno posted:

So REC3 wasn't as bad as I'd heard but there was one thing that kind of annoyed the poo poo out of me.

REC 3 was *SO* bad. I just got done watching it and holy poo poo was it bad. Everything that made 1 and 2 good they abandoned in this one. The whole 'found footage camera' thing? NOPE. Over-the-top violence and gore, nothing at all to really do with 1 or 2 except a few shallow things they put in to try to vaguely connect them, a dumb-rear end ending and plot. I liked 2 a lot, because of the whole crazy premise they had in it. 3 felt like it could have just been it's own separate zombie movie.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Also contemporary Hanson surprisingly owns as well.

Detention was good, but I'm surprised at the love for the Hanson scene on here. I thought it was just about as terrible as the 'ABC' music video in the middle of Clerks II.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just finished up V/H/S and man, I went into with high hopes and it delivered for the first two stories and then just really ran out of steam and turned mediocre. There were some interesting parts in the later acts, but as a whole they sucked. Wouldn't really recommend it.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

If you're in the UK, Film4 is starting its 13-night Frightfest season tonight with Last Exoricsm and Antichrist.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am planning a horror movie night with some friends and would like some recommendations. I'd prefer supernatural/haunting kinda stuff, but anything that is really loving creepy will do.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Morshu posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am planning a horror movie night with some friends and would like some recommendations. I'd prefer supernatural/haunting kinda stuff, but anything that is really loving creepy will do.

The Changeling

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Morshu posted:

REC 1 & 2, Paranormal Activity 1-3, and The Last Exorcism are all pretty great recent supernatural horror movies. My favorite horror of the past year has been Kill List. It is extremely unsettling.

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

Slasherfan posted:

The Changeling

I've heard good things about this movie, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere. I checked netflix awhile ago and all the rental places in my town have closed down. :(

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Session 9 was pretty creepy

edit: and it's on Netflix instant

Buzkashi fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 15, 2012

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Morshu posted:

Audition. Also on Netflix instant.

Also, The Thing, if for some dumb reason your friends haven't seen it. I mean the real, 1982 one. Not the Ramona Flowers version.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Buzkashi posted:

Session 9 was pretty creepy

edit: and it's on Netflix instant

Session 9 was really a masterpiece of atmosphere, though the plot itself was a wee bit trite, at least to me. I still wholeheartedly recommend it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As I was mentioning earlier, Candyman is really goddamn brilliant and creepy. I love it.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.

Slasherfan posted:

The Changeling

Agreement with a small point of clarification: this Changeling. Caught it on HDNET or one of those channels and really dug it.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

E the Shaggy posted:

My boyfriend has a Monster Squad shirt and the most unexpected people will go nuts over it.

Saw V/H/S and loved most of it, Ti West's was great but the first story with the succubus, the Skype story, and also the overarching story with the dead guy in the seat who randomly disappears to go kill people were my favorite parts.

Also broke down and watched The Devil Inside and was surprised that it wasn't earth-shatteringly awful. The plot was paper-thin but there were plenty of good, creepy exorcism scenes, and using a contortionist to stand in as one of the possessed women was awesome. The woman being kept in the basement was another fun segment. It certainly isn't a good movie but I thought it was pretty fun to watch!

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

Man-Thing posted:

Audition. Also on Netflix instant.

Also, The Thing, if for some dumb reason your friends haven't seen it. I mean the real, 1982 one. Not the Ramona Flowers version.

gently caress you, guy. Don't listen to him, the new one is brilliant. Do a double feature of that and Apollo 18.

I put The Last Exorcism on for just such a night, and the following hour was spent arguing over the ending.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

hypersleep posted:

To be fair, that's pretty much what the comics are like. Kirkman is more focused on developing his annoying (and badly drawn) characters than the actual nuts and bolts of the zombie apocalypse. Understandable I guess, you can only kill so many zombies and keep things fresh.

I finally saw Grave Encounters and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I usually detest the "found footage" genre, and Grave Encounters was on the whole a pastiche of tropes from the horror genre, so I didn't expect much.

And in some ways my low expectations were rewarded Satanic Rituals! Human faces that morph into demon faces! And the operating table shot at the end was ripped almost entirely from the House on Haunted Hill remake, but some of the ideas they borrowed combined in really spooky ways.

I liked the slow build-up. I liked the House of Leaves never ending hallways and corridors, and the perpetual night. All in all it was good atmospheric horror that could have been great if they had ditched some of the more predictable cliches.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 15, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aorist posted:

I put The Last Exorcism on for just such a night, and the following hour was spent arguing over the ending.

That sure sounds like a fun time. Excuse me a moment, *dives into traffic*

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

That sure sounds like a fun time. Excuse me a moment, *dives into traffic*

Someone got legitimately angry, it was actually pretty funny.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aorist posted:

I can imagine. People get insanely heated over that ending and I don't get it (for the record, I like the ending; no, I don't want to argue with anyone about it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Aorist posted:

To be a fly on the wall.