Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Diplomaticus posted:

When would this be?

would it not make sense to aim for a DC sorta thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Homie S posted:

would it not make sense to aim for a DC sorta thing?

No it makes more sense for everybody to visit me in Amsterdam.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
Overheard on the line today:

"Why do you want to go to America, sir?"
"I just want to dance!"

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Zoots posted:

"I just want to dance!"

He gets it. Visa that man.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Vilerat posted:

He gets it. Visa that man.

Seriously. That's like the [country X] version of Footloose right there. :slick:

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

Zoots posted:

"I just want to dance!"

This is awesome. It'd be amusing to see a list of some of the best and craziest responses to that question.

My security clearance investigation has just started, I have my interview next week. My medical clearance might be a problem. I just got back from having my test results filled in on the form. BP 118/62. Kidney and liver functions top notch, blood sugar excellent. Cholesterol HDL 58 LDL 101. A bunch of other numbers that show I'm doing good with my eating and exercise and all that crap. Pretty drat good for a fat chick. In excellent health except...the drat anemia. I've always had it but as I've gotten older it has gotten worse. Since my husband and I started eating mostly vegetarian it's gotten worse despite eating mostly iron rich veggies. The over the counter vitamins I've been taking have not helped apparently. It certainly explains some of the dizziness/lightheadedness I've had and the severe fatigue. It's really really bad, we had to discuss having a blood transfusion.

I am concerned it would look bad on my application to have the transfusion so my other option is a more aggressive treatment with prescription iron pills taken with vitamin C pills which help iron absorption, continued focus on fitting in as much iron rich foods as possible. I go back in a month to see if the iron worked. If not I'm afraid I will not pass the medical clearance and if it is still at such a low level they may end up doing a transfusion. I hate needles. Not happy.

Gonna go buy some steak tonight. It's medicinal.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Miscreant Fromage posted:

This is awesome. It'd be amusing to see a list of some of the best and craziest responses to that question.

My security clearance investigation has just started, I have my interview next week. My medical clearance might be a problem. I just got back from having my test results filled in on the form. BP 118/62. Kidney and liver functions top notch, blood sugar excellent. Cholesterol HDL 58 LDL 101. A bunch of other numbers that show I'm doing good with my eating and exercise and all that crap. Pretty drat good for a fat chick. In excellent health except...the drat anemia. I've always had it but as I've gotten older it has gotten worse. Since my husband and I started eating mostly vegetarian it's gotten worse despite eating mostly iron rich veggies. The over the counter vitamins I've been taking have not helped apparently. It certainly explains some of the dizziness/lightheadedness I've had and the severe fatigue. It's really really bad, we had to discuss having a blood transfusion.

I am concerned it would look bad on my application to have the transfusion so my other option is a more aggressive treatment with prescription iron pills taken with vitamin C pills which help iron absorption, continued focus on fitting in as much iron rich foods as possible. I go back in a month to see if the iron worked. If not I'm afraid I will not pass the medical clearance and if it is still at such a low level they may end up doing a transfusion. I hate needles. Not happy.

Gonna go buy some steak tonight. It's medicinal.
Get healthy. At my first directed assignment, I had food poisoning about every 2 weeks. One week was pretty bad and I dropped around 15 pounds.

If you have underlying health issues, this can really be a problem when overseas. Medevacs cost the USG a lot of money, are stressful on you/family and impact overall readiness of the Mission.

They happen as people just get sick, even more so when living overseas in the 3rd/developing world. My advice is do what you need to do to try and get healthy.

Good luck, and enjoy the medicinal red meat.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

The folks in Riyadh would have even funnier stuff - usually from the support staff for royals.

"What do you do for the prince?"
"I make the coffee."
"Just the coffee?"
"I am the coffee person."

Didn't know that was a full time gig.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zoots posted:

The folks in Riyadh would have even funnier stuff - usually from the support staff for royals.

"What do you do for the prince?"
"I make the coffee."
"Just the coffee?"
"I am the coffee person."

Didn't know that was a full time gig.

Oh god yes. I met people whose job titles were wallet-carrier, dancing midget (part of a troupe), midget tosser, 24/7 videographer, and a professional basketball team - all of whom worked for one high-ranking prince.

I interviewed a team of herd managers from the Arabian Peninsula's largest dairy company, who wanted to go to a conference in Oklahoma on new techniques in artificial insemination. That was a fun discussion. I also interviewed a Saudi olympic athlete (apparently at least one Saudi does work), an Arab rapper with several sponsorship deals and several more drug-related ineligibilities, 4 members of Osama bin Laden's extended family (there are hundreds of them), and one guy who described himself as a professional erector.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug
I just got informal offers for an internship from Quito and Madrid :spain: for Spring. Needless to say I'm pretty stoked. Both are unpaid, but Quito provides housing. I've got some grants and savings that I can cover it with, but otherwise I have an hard time choosing. Do you guys know anything about the posts?

Xtronoc fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 10, 2012

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

the_chavi posted:

Oh god yes. I met people whose job titles were wallet-carrier, dancing midget (part of a troupe), midget tosser, 24/7 videographer, and a professional basketball team - all of whom worked for one high-ranking prince.

I interviewed a team of herd managers from the Arabian Peninsula's largest dairy company, who wanted to go to a conference in Oklahoma on new techniques in artificial insemination. That was a fun discussion. I also interviewed a Saudi olympic athlete (apparently at least one Saudi does work), an Arab rapper with several sponsorship deals and several more drug-related ineligibilities, 4 members of Osama bin Laden's extended family (there are hundreds of them), and one guy who described himself as a professional erector.

Well maybe if my anemia disqualifies me I can find a career in midget tossing. This is fascinating stuff. Makes me want to go consular even more.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Business of Ferrets posted:

Seriously. That's like the [country X] version of Footloose right there. :slick:

Seriously. Ask him to sing Phil Collins.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Well maybe if my anemia disqualifies me I can find a career in midget tossing. This is fascinating stuff. Makes me want to go consular even more.

tbqh i don't think you'd be DQ'ed from medical. At worst maybe have a class 2 instead of class 1 med - basically, just be restricted from serving in certain areas. I haven't heard of anyone getting dinged for suitability because they had a class 2.

But yeah, try to get as healthy as you can. The people at MED are fairly open minded, very easy to talk to, and have probably seen/reviewed a proverbial 'lot of poo poo.'

ATI Jesus
Aug 14, 2003
I can walk on water with my ATI graphics card installed!

slightly Off Topic, but most iron-rich veggies also contain a ton of phytates which prevent iron absorbtion. Beans, for example have a ton of phytates which will steal iron from the other foods that it is cooked with. Cofee and tea also inhibit iron absorbtion. Liver is probably the most nutrient dense single food. Most meat also contains compounds that increase your ability to absorb iron.

Also, cook with cast iron. An added bonus is a good cast iron skillet beats the hell out of teflon and you can use forks on it. I have a couple old Griswold skillets from the 1930's I picked up at an antique market for a total of 30 bucks.

quote:

My previous HRO served his consular tour in Minsk. My favorite story was "I want to go to the U.S.A. to build my time machine." Said crazy person then gave the plans to him, and he gave them to the RSO cause you never know. Then he denied him. Now there is some crazy person in Belarus probably telling all his friends "Those loving Americans stole my time machine!"

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

Skandiaavity posted:

tbqh i don't think you'd be DQ'ed from medical. At worst maybe have a class 2 instead of class 1 med - basically, just be restricted from serving in certain areas. I haven't heard of anyone getting dinged for suitability because they had a class 2.

But yeah, try to get as healthy as you can. The people at MED are fairly open minded, very easy to talk to, and have probably seen/reviewed a proverbial 'lot of poo poo.'

I thought a class 1 was a requirement to get on the register, it just stops mattering once they actually hire you?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Saho posted:

I thought a class 1 was a requirement to get on the register, it just stops mattering once they actually hire you?

When I came in, that used to be the case, now I don't know.

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

TCD posted:

When I came in, that used to be the case, now I don't know.

You have to be available for worldwide placement to get on the register, it's still a requirement.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Xtronoc posted:

I just got informal offers for an internship from Quito and Madrid :spain: for Spring. Needless to say I'm pretty stoked. Both are unpaid, but Quito provides housing. I've got some grants and savings that I can cover it with, but otherwise I have an hard time choosing. Do you guys know anything about the posts?

I have read bad things about Quito, but you'd save a crapload of money with housing.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

I have read bad things about Quito, but you'd save a crapload of money with housing.

Yeah, having housing provided is pretty awesome. I think most posts put out volunteer emails to house people as well.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

You have to be available for worldwide placement to get on the register, it's still a requirement.

Ah, okay. But Like everything (except one thing), there is a waiver:

DOS posted:

"On request, the Director General of the Foreign Service, or designee, may consider granting a waiver of the worldwide availability requirement for a candidate who is unable to qualify for a worldwide medical clearance."

Going to add two notes, though:

1) You can only request a waiver if you know the process. Only your HR/Registrar person would know said process. I think the procedure is they will advise you that your candidacy will be terminated, and then you have to specifically reply/ask them on how the process of a waiver works. And then do whatever they say, basically.

2) Also know that the granting of waivers is pretty uncommon if not rare. Personally speaking, If you score well enough and have some kind of plan that would eventually result in a Class 1 clearance, I'd imagine it's possible to get you one.

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

Xtronoc posted:

Depending on what you're trying to do and where you've lived in the past it might be pretty handy to have lived in a developing nation for a while.

Also, doesn't Ecuador just sound cooler than Spain?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Holy poo poo I finally made it to the register.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
:toot: Congratulations! what number / cone?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
CON, but I don't know my number yet.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
I've finally done it. I mastered Biltong.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
So its beef jerky cured with vinegar? No thanks.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I actually do have a question. What do generalists do when they are posted in DC? Work alongside GS employees? I'm mostly interested in Consular, since that's my cone. I feel like I have a decent handle on the overseas work, but when it comes to US posts, I have no idea.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

I've finally done it. I mastered Biltong.

Can't say I was a fan of it.

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

Tyro posted:

I actually do have a question. What do generalists do when they are posted in DC? Work alongside GS employees? I'm mostly interested in Consular, since that's my cone. I feel like I have a decent handle on the overseas work, but when it comes to US posts, I have no idea.

There are a ton of things people do in DC from people on the Sec. State line that basically travel everywhere with her to people who work on various types of inspections and audits to instructors.

One of the things I was surprised about was the variety of work people do, especially in dc. I'm in training now and feel like everyday is a bit of a job fair...

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Yeah, a boring life this ain't.* Regardless of field.

* depends on the post

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
I would also like to add, don't have a spouse who is an rear end or high maintenance. Whether they work as an EFM or are staying, how they treat others who work at/for the Embassy (such as Facilities and Housing) will get around and it won't be appreciated :). Be realistic and discuss if your family will be able to live in a 3rd world country, where there is no standard of code on building, where there are limited supplies, where social life could be restricted etc.

In our first post I have seen many families not ready for the reality of living in a 3rd world country. It is not only hard on yourself as the directed spouse but on those at the embassy that also have to work with them.

Also be grateful that your housing is free and understand that housing boards do the best they can to place you, it all just depends on timing of your arrival and what is available.

That is just my two cents as an EFM.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Closet Nerd posted:

I would also like to add, don't have a spouse who is an rear end or high maintenance. Whether they work as an EFM or are staying, how they treat others who work at/for the Embassy (such as Facilities and Housing) will get around and it won't be appreciated :). Be realistic and discuss if your family will be able to live in a 3rd world country, where there is no standard of code on building, where there are limited supplies, where social life could be restricted etc.

In our first post I have seen many families not ready for the reality of living in a 3rd world country. It is not only hard on yourself as the directed spouse but on those at the embassy that also have to work with them.

Also be grateful that your housing is free and understand that housing boards do the best they can to place you, it all just depends on timing of your arrival and what is available.

That is just my two cents as an EFM.

Very good points! I've seen too many people join because this is their Dream Job without actually considering the family/spouse ramifications. Sounds like you're married to a GSO or someone in FM. ;-)

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

I just submitted my application for the test and I was somewhat surprised there's no information about locations.Sorry if this question has already been covered a hundred times, but can any embassy/consulate serve as a testing site? I'm floating between countries in eastern Europe at the moment and I'm not sure where I'm going to be exactly--will I need to give them a definite location and be assigned a definite place to take the test, or can I just pop in wherever? The first seems more plausible than the second, but I'm hoping it won't be a problem!

mute
Jul 17, 2004

What timing. Broke up with the to-be fiance (who was the whole reason I put myself on do-not-call) 10 days after I was called for/turned down the September class.

On the plus side, this makes things much less complicated when I (hopefully) get called in 2013.

mute fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 15, 2012

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

the_chavi posted:

Sounds like you're married to a GSO or someone in FM. ;-)

Or to me :).

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Smerdyakov posted:

Sorry if this question has already been covered a hundred times, but can any embassy/consulate serve as a testing site? I'm floating between countries in eastern Europe at the moment and I'm not sure where I'm going to be exactly--will I need to give them a definite location and be assigned a definite place to take the test, or can I just pop in wherever?

I believe a lot of embassies/consulates offer it, but not every one. You will have to choose the one you'll take it at beforehand, no popping in the day of. You'll need to confirm the embassy/consulate, the date and the time all online.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 15, 2012

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

mute posted:

What timing. Broke up with the to-be fiance (who was the whole reason I put myself on do-not-call) 10 days after I was called for/turned down the September class.

On the plus side, this makes things much less complicated when I (hopefully) get called in 2013.

Oh drat, that sucks... at least training and your first assignment will be fun!

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Don't know if this is okay for the thread, but it seemed like a good place to ask - are there any good online Masters in Int'l Relations programs out there? Looks like a couple MPA programs which might be useful, but I don't see much IR

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
You now have until September 19th to apply for your chance to join the increasingly absurd number of Foreign Service IT goons:

http://careers.state.gov/specialist/vacancy-announcements/ims?source=govdelivery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

AKA Pseudonym posted:

You now have until September 19th to apply for your chance to join the increasingly absurd number of Foreign Service IT goons:

http://careers.state.gov/specialist/vacancy-announcements/ims?source=govdelivery

drat. Was hoping to have my cert done by the next vacancy. They seem to be every ~6 months or so tho, so it's not too bad.