Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Any way to figure out which maps you haven't completed on Gold for that one trophy? I think I've gotten through most of them, probably missing Reactor since it's such a poo poo map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
Valiant! At last!

After I basically stopped playing, but my Manifest doesn't have a glaring hole in it any more!

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Gordon Shumway posted:

Fingers crossed for a Hurricane...

Finally! Anybody got any advice on which mods I should use for it?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Hurricane II. :woop:

I like this thing, and it being lighter is great.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Crusader IV. My paperweight is lighter now. :geno:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Getting an Eagle is the most infuriating part of this game. Not the disconnects. Not the stolen credits.

a

mother

loving

eagle

II

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Finally got a Crusader. Is there any gimmicky class build I can do with this?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Warp ammo is good for farming platinum without using up your precious AP ammo supplies. Use warp ammo in a piranha with smart choke and a shredder.

exquisite tea posted:

Finally got a Crusader. Is there any gimmicky class build I can do with this?

I use mine on a melee based Krogan Sentinel with the bayonet and extended barrel mods.

Edit: Oh hey it's a Crusader V.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Gordon Shumway posted:

Heat sink definitely, it goes through ammo rather quickly. If you have AP/cryo/warp ammo, then EB, if not then you might want to use the piercing mod.

Alternatively, scope and stability mods. It's a mini-Harrier!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Armor piercing, extended clip, bullet reuse chance, damage, stability for non-turians/Destroyers.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Spaceman Bill posted:

Getting an Eagle is the most infuriating part of this game. Not the disconnects. Not the stolen credits.

a

mother

loving

eagle

II

Me too.

:downsgun:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Boohoo, your Eagle II got you down?

Eagle IV mother fucker.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Hyperactive posted:

Eagle IV mother fucker.

At what level do they start getting good? I've run guys with the Eagle on Bronze, but I wouldn't use it on Gold or Silver. It struck me as halfway between a pistol and a submachine gun and not really living up to either.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Valiant II and Shock Trooper Gear I. :toot:

So, they probably lied about the allied numbers, right?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Thundercloud posted:

At what level do they start getting good? I've run guys with the Eagle on Bronze, but I wouldn't use it on Gold or Silver. It struck me as halfway between a pistol and a submachine gun and not really living up to either.
I use it on a couple power heavy classes that don't really do any shooting as it weighs little and I hate semi-auto fire. Particularly on my N7Shadow since I can get a melee booster on there. Now that I have the AR Omni-blade attachment maxed, though, I may swap to the Avenger X.

It's just not a good weapon.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

What's the best build for a Batarian soldier? Last time I took one for a spin I maxed out all the melee on the fitness tree along with all the blade armor damage buffs and it seemed pretty effective. Is melee focused backed up with fist spikes and fire grenades the way to go? It worked fine of silver but I never tried it on gold.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I'd rather have an Eagle than a Crusader, at least until SMGs get a melee mod.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Zikan posted:

What's the best build for a Batarian soldier? Last time I took one for a spin I maxed out all the melee on the fitness tree along with all the blade armor damage buffs and it seemed pretty effective. Is melee focused backed up with fist spikes and fire grenades the way to go? It worked fine of silver but I never tried it on gold.
Ballistic blades, ballistic blades and ballistic blades. They're amazing: good damage, big cone, and (most importantly) stagger. Try to have a low cooldown, high melee damage and a low damage/high RoF shotgun (scimitar is my favourite). Stagger with blades, falcon punch the toughest guy, blades again and shoot anyone left standing.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Soooooooo, any news yet about anyone reaching the coveted Eagle X on BSN?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

jpmeyer posted:

Soooooooo, any news yet about anyone reaching the coveted Eagle X on BSN?

If I'd had an Eagle IX, I'd almost be hoping for an Eagle X out of this operation. It would mean that you definitely never have a chance of getting it again.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Ballistic blades, ballistic blades and ballistic blades. They're amazing: good damage, big cone, and (most importantly) stagger. Try to have a low cooldown, high melee damage and a low damage/high RoF shotgun (scimitar is my favourite). Stagger with blades, falcon punch the toughest guy, blades again and shoot anyone left standing.

I'm guessing I should get the cone, recharge and explosive for further stagger? Maxed melee fitness and blade armor specced for melee damage and durability?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Thundercloud posted:

I've got an Eagle V and it's still not very good. Better than any level of the Crusader though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I finally got a Saber. Currently trying to figure out if it's better than a Crusader or not. It's not quite as ridiculously heavy, but it seems to do less damage and the ROF is much worse. Then again, that tracer is very useful, and the noise it makes is just wonderful.

So that just leaves an Indra then. Eh, can't say I feel like I'm missing much.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Zikan posted:

I'm guessing I should get the cone, recharge and explosive for further stagger? Maxed melee fitness and blade armor specced for melee damage and durability?
This is what I use. Eviscerator because it's the lightest shotgun I've got. Shredder mod and blade attachment are mandatory. With blade armour on, you only get +0.3 seconds to your BB cooldown, so it's a good idea to keep it up at all times.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The worst kind of pubbies are the ones on Gold/Plat who refuse to use consumables. Especially on waves 8-9-10...for gently caress's sake just use a couple of missiles and help the team out! I don't understand what they are hoarding them for.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

el oso posted:

The worst kind of pubbies are the ones on Gold/Plat who refuse to use consumables. Especially on waves 8-9-10...for gently caress's sake just use a couple of missiles and help the team out! I don't understand what they are hoarding them for.

Really? 'Cause I thought they were the ones that create a W/G/G farming game as a level 13 Human Female Soldier and refuse to stay in the farming area, with everyone else scattering enough to cause a wipe on Wave 2.

Same could be said for the one that didn't immediately leave the lobby upon seeing a level 13 Human Female Soldier, too. :v:

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

My commendation pack contained an Eagle Mk I. I now have the Crusader, Valiant and Eagle... but what I want is the Hurricane.

In other news, I like running the Saber with my Turian Sentinel. The cadence of aimed fire works well with a spammy class, because you don't have to wait for clips to run out, etc. I also agree that it has the best sound of any assault rifle. It does as much or more damage as most multi-shot sniper rifles (with the exception of the Black Widow) and is lighter than the Harrier. A++ would buy again.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Hyperactive posted:

Eagle IV mother fucker.

You are a champion

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zxqv8 posted:

Hurricane II. :woop:

I like this thing, and it being lighter is great.

Hurricane V bitches.

But yeah, sorry about that Eagle IV.

This Allied pack actually wasn't too bad, looks like I wrote off the Allied pack too soon.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Crusader I. Now I have all the N7 weapons, all lvlI. That's a thing, I suppose.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Crusader IV, but I can't go play with it because Task Manager just bugged the gently caress out. Normally I'd kill any odd-behaving program immediately, but...that's what Task Manager is for. :saddowns:

el oso posted:

Any way to figure out which maps you haven't completed on Gold for that one trophy? I think I've gotten through most of them, probably missing Reactor since it's such a poo poo map.

Nope! Do all of them sequentially. It'll probably be the last one you pick. :v:

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
Going for low cooldowns on Batarian Soldier is admirable, but there's a special magic with a Claymore BS. Between the Claymore and Ballistic Blades, it feels like you're dual wielding massive shotguns. You can either use BB to stagger enemies before you aim a Claymore shot, or it can be the perfect emergency stagger for when you miss. And the BS's spare ammo passive was basically born to help you ClayMore.

Speaking of which, gently caress, every time I use the Claymore I end up trying to throw it on every class. Claymore Turian Sentinel is pretty sweet if you have someone detonating your Warps. Claymore Asari Justicar feels way too far in the shooty direction. Claymore Human Soldier is hilarious; I just played a Gold game with some pubbies where three of us were Human Soldiers with lvl3 consumables (fun crew). They both had Hurricanes, I had a Claymore. Killed Atlases in seconds.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

MrDude posted:

Going for low cooldowns on Batarian Soldier is admirable, but there's a special magic with a Claymore BS. Between the Claymore and Ballistic Blades, it feels like you're dual wielding massive shotguns. You can either use BB to stagger enemies before you aim a Claymore shot, or it can be the perfect emergency stagger for when you miss. And the BS's spare ammo passive was basically born to help you ClayMore.
What build do you use, out of interest? I love BatSol and I'm always looking for new ways to run him.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
E:
^^^^
Oh hey, good timing

Zikan posted:

Originally I played the class mostly by wearing and shoot knives, but I found I didn't like it so much. This was especially the case after they fixed ballistic blades, because when the class debuted the cone evolution at level four was glitched and gave you a 360 degree cone, meaning every enemy in range in whatever direction would get a face full of knives. Anyway, mixing it up in melee range is risky on gold, even with blade armor, against boss-types your effectiveness declines sharply. Additionally, building the class for melee requires you to spread your points out and you have to compromise--i.e. missing out on the later tiers of inferno grenade, or taking fitness through the melee evolutions and losing the survivability.

Right now I have him specced for mixing it up with guns, like so:
BatSol

Batarians have good base movement speed, so you can quickly close to your preferred engagement range and then maintain the range to stay in that pocket. They also have a lot of shields and health, so you can mix it up better than most. You want to set up 10-20 paces from the enemy and alternate ballistic blades and shotgun blasts. Building blades that way effectively lets it function as a second claymore. Hit the enemy with ballistic blades, then claymore them in the face while they're stunned. If they're still alive, blades will explode while you're reloading and stagger them again, at which point you can shoot them again. Quite often, if you fire the claymore and immediately pop blades, the animation will glitch out--your reload animation will be interrupted, but it will execute anyway at the same time as you're firing the blades. I can't get this to happen 100% of the time, but it usually works that way. Alternatively you can cast blades to reload cancel, which also works.

If you place your claymore shots well, this will tear up anybody unwise enough to get near you. Pyros you can just run straight up to, and pop blades in their face before they burn you, then off them with a claymore headshot. Phantoms will typically go into "cloak and hide" mode after a good one-two punch, at which point you can toss an inferno grenade on them and move on to something else while it kills them. Hunters are still really dangerous, because they stunlock and you can't dodge at all, but if you pay attention you can kill them very quickly. Inferno grenades are also great if you see a group of them moving cloaked, because it will do a ton of DOT and highlight them for the duration of the burn effect.

And of course, now that I mentioned inferno grenades I have to gush about how awesome they are. You'll want to bring whatever gear you have that boosts your grenade capacity. Each grenade will do over 2200 points of DOT spread across 8 seconds. This stacks with each grenade you throw, so you can toss two of them into the middle of an enemy spawn and in 8 seconds everything that isn't a boss will probably be dead (including phantoms, I think). Evolving them all the way to 6 lets you take +50% damage against armor. I have a shock trooper III gear that gives +1 grenade (sadly, that's my best capacity gear so far), so I get three, meaning that I can dump them on something armored and it will tick off 10,000 damage. The best thing about this is, it's a DOT effect so you can go do something else while its burning if you need to. Say there's an atlas, and your team is focus firing. As soon as the shields go down, you toss your grenades, and then you can go watch your teammate's backs while they and your grenades finish the job.

I can usually dominate gold with this build, even without consumables, although as always with the non-dodging characters Geth can get very ugly.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 15, 2012

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So I threw both my Eagle and my Crusader onto my Krogan Sentinel to celebrate receiving these piles of poo poowonderful gifts and an amazing bug happened.

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010
The exact same thing happened to me a few hours ago, except it also happened during a huge lag spike so I couldn't shoot anything and all I could see was my armored dude's body humping the ground as I held the storm button. :smith:

A Meatslab fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 15, 2012

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
That's the jist of my approach to them, though I go about it a bit differently. For Soldiers, I'm always a bit min-maxy with weapon damage and shield strength, since if I'm playing it it's because I really want to use some gun or another (and that entails sticking your neck out for a bit). So for Batarian Soldier, I straight-up ditch Inferno Grenades so I can max defenses a bit further with Blade Armor.

Blade Armor 6: Durability / Recharge Speed / Durability
Complements Fitness so you're almost competitive with a Krogan. Yes, BA sounds kinda cruddy on paper, but realize it also synergizes with Fitness points and BSs being beefy to begin with.

Ballistic Blades 6: Damage / Recharge Speed / Explosive Blades
Recharge Speed over Range because, well, Claymore.

Inferno Grenades 0: bloop bloop
I know you guys love them, but I want them passives.

Batarian Passive Name 6: Weapon Damage
Given.

Fitness 6: Shields
I may one day take the alternate Rank 6, to give the melee a nice boost and because +25% Claymore damage would be sweeeeeeet

Claymore w/ Smart Choke, Shredder mod

I tend to lean towards shooting, then using Ballistic Blades if necessary. Since I avoided almost everything that would have mitigated cooldown, I rely on regularly one-shotting things with the Claymore, and then Ballistic Blading when I miss (which I can't do too often, about every other Claymore shot).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
For Shadows, do you guys recommend movement speed and shield recovery or 50% sword damage after a kill for Sword Mastery?

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Schubalts posted:

For Shadows, do you guys recommend movement speed and shield recovery or 50% sword damage after a kill for Sword Mastery?

Depends on how you plan to play. I personally like to attack bosses with a shadow strike followed by a cloaked heavy melee then repeat, with the extra damage it does wonders against armor. Otherwise, movement and shield recovery is an excellent choice since it is such a delicate class.

Also, Piranha with blade. You will be unstoppable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
If you, like me, have a high-level Javelin and are wondering how to put it to use above Silver, give this guy a look: http://tinyurl.com/9sbv92f

I just carried the gently caress out of some pubbies on two unfortunate Gold combos (Jade/Reapers, Condor/Geth) in a row with it. Overload helps you take out the trash, while you can use your offensive turret like a short-term Decoy. It's especially hilarious against Banshees who have to go through their start/stop animations until they warp it twice.

• Locked thread