Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Just wanted to echo the masses here. Bought a Shimian 27", as recommended by many in this thread. It's loving incredible. It's so crisp and clear! I have a 27" iMac at work, it looks exactly the same.

I did find one stuck pixel but I can only see it on a full black background, might try and mess around to see if I can get rid.

BusinessWallet fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Crossposting from the Mac Hardware thread since you guys are cooler.

I just got an Apple Cinema Display with a mini-display port cable.

How do I plug it in to my GTX 680 with full sized display port, HDMI or DVI

These are the connectors on my GTX 680:

DVI Output : Yes x 1 (DVI-I), Yes x 1 (DVI-D)
HDMI Output : Yes x 1
Display Port : Yes x 1 (Regular DP)

The apple display is Mini-DisplayPort. I'd like to run at the full resolution, 2560-by-1440.

What connectors do I need to buy to do this?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

What connectors do I need to buy to do this?

DisplayPort to minidisplayport. Should be $5.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 14, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

coffeetable posted:

DisplayPort to minidisplayport. Should be $5.

Whoops, had a wrong model # before.

But yeah, you should be able to track down a mini DP female to DP female and use a cable, or a connector that changes mini DP female to DP male, and plug it straight in.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 14, 2012

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I just ordered this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N3DTKY/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Will post a trip report on Wednesday hopefully.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 27" korean IPS.

I am looking at this one, but not 100% sure if it comes with the right power adapter. The title says "FREE Voltage", so uhhh I think maybe that means US power adapter? The image towards the bottom also appears to be a US-style plug, but it is a very small pic and I'm not sure how accurate all the pics are on these ebay posts. Anyone know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...ht_15763wt_1163

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

peepsalot posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 27" korean IPS.

I am looking at this one, but not 100% sure if it comes with the right power adapter. The title says "FREE Voltage", so uhhh I think maybe that means US power adapter? The image towards the bottom also appears to be a US-style plug, but it is a very small pic and I'm not sure how accurate all the pics are on these ebay posts. Anyone know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...ht_15763wt_1163
The AC adapter typically handles 110-230V, but you'll have to supply your own US 3-prong power cable, the same type that you use for your power supply.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So I got my Dell UltraSharp U3011 and my second GTX670 today. I installed both, and I have two questions.

1. The UltraSharp doesn't seem to work using just the DisplayPort. I know this doesn't really matter because I have two DVI-D cables (other one for my 22 inch Syncmaster) but it's odd.

2. The second GTX670 is hooked up properly and the SLI bridge is connected to both cards, but nothing comes up saying I'm using SLI and I don't know what utility I need to run to get it working. This is my first time using SLI.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

I didn't even know these went below $300. Why would you ever buy any other monitor?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

NOTinuyasha posted:

I didn't even know these went below $300. Why would you ever buy any other monitor?

no controls whatsoever for calibration other than brightness/power. :( if not for that I'd definitely take the gamble.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Martello posted:

So I got my Dell UltraSharp U3011 and my second GTX670 today. I installed both, and I have two questions.

1. The UltraSharp doesn't seem to work using just the DisplayPort. I know this doesn't really matter because I have two DVI-D cables (other one for my 22 inch Syncmaster) but it's odd.

2. The second GTX670 is hooked up properly and the SLI bridge is connected to both cards, but nothing comes up saying I'm using SLI and I don't know what utility I need to run to get it working. This is my first time using SLI.

2) Nvidia Control Panel --> 3D Settings --> Set SLI and PhysX configuration, then set the SLI configuration to "Maximize 3D performance."

If that's already the setting, it's already SLI-enabled.

1) How so "doesn't seem to work"? It should work, and there's no obvious reason why it wouldn't be.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
How would my GTX460 handle a catleap (27") + a 24" secondary for general use, plus gaming (though prob. at reduced resolution)?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
If you reduce the gaming resolution, then it'll be indistinguishable from a monitor running the reduced resolution, in terms of performance.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Factory Factory posted:

2) Nvidia Control Panel --> 3D Settings --> Set SLI and PhysX configuration, then set the SLI configuration to "Maximize 3D performance."

If that's already the setting, it's already SLI-enabled.

1) How so "doesn't seem to work"? It should work, and there's no obvious reason why it wouldn't be.

1) I don't know, it's plugged into the top graphics card and into the back of the monitor, but when I select DisplayPort as the input with the monitor's hardware menu it says it's not plugged into anything.

2) Nothing about SLI shows up in the Nvidia Control Panel, only PhysiX.

Photo of the cards installed:

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

Martello posted:

1) I don't know, it's plugged into the top graphics card and into the back of the monitor, but when I select DisplayPort as the input with the monitor's hardware menu it says it's not plugged into anything.

2) Nothing about SLI shows up in the Nvidia Control Panel, only PhysiX.

Have you:
-Tried both cards individually in the first PCIE 16x slot to make sure the new one works?
-Tried starting up the pc with just the second card in the second PCIE 16x slot to make sure it was seated correctly/the slot is working?
-Tried a fresh install of the drivers (complete uninstall and reinstall)?
-Tried using the SLI bridge on the other set of connectors?

Other than all of those maybe check and see if you need to enable SLI in the BIOS.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Yeah, so I'm a total retard and the bottom card wasn't seated properly. I pulled both out to check them and realized my mistake.

Somehow my DisplayPort now works also. Problem solved, thanks to everyone who tried to help my dumb rear end.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
I got my 30" Korean monitor set up last night. Picture is awesome. Zero dead pixels. At first I thought it might have arrived dead, but then I realized I had reused the DVI cable from my last monitor and I guess the cable wasn't dual-link. Once I used the cable that came with it it displayed properly. I currently have it hooked to a 9500GT and I'm surprised how well the card is handling it. I don't really game much, but it handled IL-2:Sturmovik at 2560x1600 with no stuttering. A++++ would paypal some random Korean guy $660 again.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

How common is support for DVI to Component?

I know everywhere that sells the cable says "check your video card for compatibility" but I don't have a monitor to boot the PC with to check. FWIW, It's an nvidia actual card, and not onboard.

bonj
Jul 15, 2001

298298 posted:

Holy crap. I got the Catleap in today and it works perfectly, great color especially with the color profile I downloaded, but I had no idea how terrible it would be going back from 55" to 27". It's just not doable for me.

Bad news is I already sold my TV and stand and bought a $500 leaning desk along with the monitor. Now I get to return the desk and eat a 15% restocking fee, try to sell the monitor in SA Mart, and buy another television and stand.

Any suggestions for televisions in the 55+ range that work well for gaming? My old one was a Sharp Aquos which worked great as long as I stayed around 1400x1050, anything past that and it would have insane input lag.

I bought a Sharp LC52E77U just for gaming. It has less than one frame of input lag at 1080p, but it's only 52". They do make a 60" version, though, which I believe has the same input lag.

You can find more good recommendations here: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/sub-1-frame-hdtv-monitor-input-lag-database.145141/ but none of them are 55"+.

How much are you going to sell your Catleap for?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I'm not sure if anybody will have the answer to this but it's worth a try.

I got Maxivista demo working with my old Advent 4211 (MSI Wind), connected to another monitor to make a total of 3 screens on two systems. The trouble is it's pretty limited in that the third screen is only as good as the hardware on that machine (integrated GFX). It hates Firefox and completely stops FSX from working.

Does Displayport emulate your good GFX card, and would it be much slower than 'integrated GFX over ethernet'?

Maxivista is still cool as hell considering it's running from x64 Windows 7 to x32 Windows XP.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Daimo posted:

Does Displayport emulate your good GFX card, and would it be much slower than 'integrated GFX over ethernet'?

I don't understand this. DisplayPort is a connector, like HDMI.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bonj posted:

I bought a Sharp LC52E77U just for gaming. It has less than one frame of input lag at 1080p, but it's only 52". They do make a 60" version, though, which I believe has the same input lag.

You can find more good recommendations here: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/sub-1-frame-hdtv-monitor-input-lag-database.145141/ but none of them are 55"+.

How much are you going to sell your Catleap for?

Whoa, this is the same exact model I have (got it back) but there's insane input lag on anywhere near 1920x1080. I'm using a DVI-to-HDMI cable, is it possible that could be the cause?

Also it says it's 120mhz but I only have 60 in the monitor settings.

I sold the Catleap in SA Mart for $300 shipped

298298 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 15, 2012

bonj
Jul 15, 2001

298298 posted:

Whoa, this is the same exact model I have (got it back) but there's insane input lag on anywhere near 1920x1080. I'm using a DVI-to-HDMI cable, is it possible that could be the cause?

Also it says it's 120mhz but I only have 60 in the monitor settings.

I sold the Catleap in SA Mart for $300 shipped

Nah, I use a DVI to HDMI cable too, thought I don't use it for computer gaming. Over regular HDMI I notice no lag on my PS3. But DVI and HDMI are the same interface, just different connectors, so there's no reason for the cable to introduce lag.

Do you have the TV in game mode while using it with your PC? Also make sure active contrast is on. I realize this is extra postprocessing but for some reason on this TV it's been proven to reduce input lag for whatever reason.

Edit: Just realized, the PS3 is outputting at 720p. My mistake. Though I would imagine running at 1080p would bypass the scaler and thus reduce input lag, but as the active contrast thing proves, this TV is sorta weird.

bonj fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 15, 2012

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

toplitzin posted:

How common is support for DVI to Component?

I know everywhere that sells the cable says "check your video card for compatibility" but I don't have a monitor to boot the PC with to check. FWIW, It's an nvidia actual card, and not onboard.
I'd guess very rare these days. NVIDIA hasn't had analog TV out in the last four or five years. I think AMD dropped it around the same time.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bonj posted:

Nah, I use a DVI to HDMI cable too, thought I don't use it for computer gaming. Over regular HDMI I notice no lag on my PS3. But DVI and HDMI are the same interface, just different connectors, so there's no reason for the cable to introduce lag.

Do you have the TV in game mode while using it with your PC? Also make sure active contrast is on. I realize this is extra postprocessing but for some reason on this TV it's been proven to reduce input lag for whatever reason.

Edit: Just realized, the PS3 is outputting at 720p. My mistake. Though I would imagine running at 1080p would bypass the scaler and thus reduce input lag, but as the active contrast thing proves, this TV is sorta weird.

I thought the Game Mode was just recalibrated color settings and never used it ;/ It's fixed the input lag problem completely it seems. 2+ years of having this TV without using it. gently caress my life.

Have you had any luck getting yours past 60mhz refresh rate? I'm thinking about updating firmware to see if that works.

bonj
Jul 15, 2001

298298 posted:

I thought the Game Mode was just recalibrated color settings and never used it ;/ It's fixed the input lag problem completely it seems. 2+ years of having this TV without using it. gently caress my life.

Have you had any luck getting yours past 60mhz refresh rate? I'm thinking about updating firmware to see if that works.

Haha, yeah game mode turns off most post processing. Glad I could help!

Most TVs that claim 120hz are actually just adding synthesized in-between frames and don't actually run at a true 120hz, and I think that is the case with the model we have -- it can't really be pushed beyond 60hz. I don't understand it fully, but I'm sure someone else could explain.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bonj posted:

Haha, yeah game mode turns off most post processing. Glad I could help!

Most TVs that claim 120hz are actually just adding synthesized in-between frames and don't actually run at a true 120hz, and I think that is the case with the model we have -- it can't really be pushed beyond 60hz. I don't understand it fully, but I'm sure someone else could explain.

Thanks for all the help. Probably still going to update the firmware since it specifically says the newer firmware helps with even more input lag.

Last question, did you use any specific color calibration settings?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

bonj posted:

It's not so much that it can't actually run at 120hz, that it can't take input at more than 60hz. I think it was a limitation of HDMI at the time, although I'm not sure on that.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
What's the deal with these "Korean 30-inchers" and "catleaps?" I can't find a whole lot of info on Google.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Martello posted:

What's the deal with these "Korean 30-inchers" and "catleaps?" I can't find a whole lot of info on Google.
The OP talks about Korean monitors in detail.

bonj
Jul 15, 2001

298298 posted:

Thanks for all the help. Probably still going to update the firmware since it specifically says the newer firmware helps with even more input lag.

Last question, did you use any specific color calibration settings?

I use this one for watching TV and movies: http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtvreviews/sharp-lc52e77u-calibration.html

I didn't know about the firmware reducing lag more -- I'll have to look into updating the firmware too, then :)

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Josh Lyman posted:

The OP talks about Korean monitors in detail.

Sorry, should have read the OP better. They sound pretty awful to me. I'm quite fine with spending the extra 400-500 bones for an awesome warranty and the security of buying a quality product.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Martello posted:

Sorry, should have read the OP better. They sound pretty awful to me. I'm quite fine with spending the extra 400-500 bones for an awesome warranty and the security of buying a quality product.
It's not that they're awful. They're the bare bones version of the 27" 2560x1440 monitor. You don't get a OSD, you don't get a nice stand, and you don't get a warranty. What you do get is a fantastic panel for $300 or so, and for those of us that don't have the budget for a $750 monitor, some of us are willing to take the risk.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Oh, they're only 300? I guess that makes more sense. I thought I saw someone say 600. The UltraSharp 30-inch I bought on Amazon was 1100. I'm thinking of getting a second one in a few months, putting 'em side-by-side, and then mounting my old 22-inch on the wall above them for ultimate ridiculous movie-hacker decor.

Note: Not a hacker.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Martello posted:

Oh, they're only 300? I guess that makes more sense. I thought I saw someone say 600. The UltraSharp 30-inch I bought on Amazon was 1100. I'm thinking of getting a second one in a few months, putting 'em side-by-side, and then mounting my old 22-inch on the wall above them for ultimate ridiculous movie-hacker decor.

Note: Not a hacker.
Oh, if you're talking about the 30" models, yeah, they're not $300, but I don't think anyone in this thread has bought a 30" yet.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I think this guy is the only one who's posted a trip report about a Korean 30" so far.

Bolkovr posted:

I got my 30" Korean monitor set up last night. Picture is awesome. Zero dead pixels. At first I thought it might have arrived dead, but then I realized I had reused the DVI cable from my last monitor and I guess the cable wasn't dual-link. Once I used the cable that came with it it displayed properly. I currently have it hooked to a 9500GT and I'm surprised how well the card is handling it. I don't really game much, but it handled IL-2:Sturmovik at 2560x1600 with no stuttering. A++++ would paypal some random Korean guy $660 again.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For what it's worth the 30" Korean monitors aren't anywhere near 500-600 the last time I looked, they were up over $800 which in that range it'd be better to go with a Dell sale or HP.

There used to be some that were in the mid 500 to 600 range but they've all went up from what I can find.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I have a corean 30 inch. Good poo poo. 1 dead pixel though but for $680 and insanely fast "free" shipping I'll live.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

movax posted:

[*]Errata 1: Last I looked, SLI'ing nVIDIA cards limits you to one display. Not sure about CrossFire. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is quoted from the OP. Unless I'm reading it wrong, this is not the case. I have my 2x GTX 670 in SLI and I'm running a 22-inch and 30-inch display no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Captain Cool posted:

I'd guess very rare these days. NVIDIA hasn't had analog TV out in the last four or five years. I think AMD dropped it around the same time.

Fail :(