Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

The Tinfoil Price posted:

Aha. I definitely missed the memo. Hold on while I go brush my teeth and clear my ears. I shall prepare my skull.

Vegetable Melange was just being over the top, but I'm guess he's probably judging you for suggesting a cheap fake-flavored Cognac like product for cocktails.

While plenty of bars might do that and be just fine, let's assume this thread is full of try hards who would infuse their own higher grade brandy with passionfruit then back sweeten it making a house-made schnapps.

For example, people like Mike's Hard just fine, but really it's just a crappy malt-beverage Tom Collins wannabe. Squeeze everything fresh and just a decent gin, then compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express
Hey, judgment isn't necessarily unjustified.

My only experience with bartending/mixology has been making a metric fuckton of artisan jello shots and catering to college kid events, so my experiences are more with the cheap and tacky side of liqueurs.

On a side note, I see your tag has you in college as well. What's your go to jungle juice, if you don't mind me asking?

*grabs notepad to steal recipe*

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Hey, judgment isn't necessarily unjustified.

My only experience with bartending/mixology has been making a metric fuckton of artisan jello shots and catering to college kid events, so my experiences are more with the cheap and tacky side of liqueurs.

On a side note, I see your tag has you in college as well. What's your go to jungle juice, if you don't mind me asking?

*grabs notepad to steal recipe*

I joined years ago, my go-to recipe advice for jungle juice at this point would be "make an actual punch that tastes good." There have been many a great punch in this thread that I'm still waiting to have enough people around to try. Failing that just make a pitcher of sangria, fortify with rum/brandy/congac as needed.

You could also be bawler as heck and make punch romaine.

Also "artisan jello shots" is the best phrase I've heard all week.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express
I usually just make punch and add Everclear for alcohol content.

Strawberries with homemade strawberry liqueur and a rosewater panna cotta. If that's not artisan, I'm going to go hide in my corner and weep.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

I usually just make punch and add Everclear for alcohol content.

Strawberries with homemade strawberry liqueur and a rosewater panna cotta. If that's not artisan, I'm going to go hide in my corner and weep.
your hearts in the right place but your head is adding grain alcohol to jello. Read a book, make a drink with fresh ingredients, or move to NYC because I need a Barback.

tboeske01
Apr 6, 2011

in the end the addition of charles barkley did improve the amount of dunk in the proposed replacement picture as expected, even exceeding our more modest projections easily.
I have been drinking Gin for a few years now. I have the following selection of Gins at my house Bombay, Bombay Sapphire, Tanguray, Tanguray 10, Tanguray Rangpure, New Amsterdam, and Hendricks. The house drink is Sapphire and tonic. What I am wondering is what else can be done with gin. I have other liquors at the house as well but it would take a long time to list. To name a few others I have a couple bottles of Middleton, various Johnny Walkers, Pyrat rum, Chopin, Beleveder vodkas, and a bunch of different low to mid grade mixers. I look at recipies for drinks I try them hopeing to find somehthing else but its just lacking. The only thing that has come close had to do with Hendricks and a cucumber. I have looked and asked around but no one seems to know what I am refering to. They way they interact made this delicious. I have hopeing one of you learned ladies or gentleman can help with this. Thank you for your assistance in this matter and enjoy your day.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

tboeske01 posted:

I have been drinking Gin for a few years now. I have the following selection of Gins at my house Bombay, Bombay Sapphire, Tanguray, Tanguray 10, Tanguray Rangpure, New Amsterdam, and Hendricks. The house drink is Sapphire and tonic. What I am wondering is what else can be done with gin. I have other liquors at the house as well but it would take a long time to list. To name a few others I have a couple bottles of Middleton, various Johnny Walkers, Pyrat rum, Chopin, Beleveder vodkas, and a bunch of different low to mid grade mixers. I look at recipies for drinks I try them hopeing to find somehthing else but its just lacking. The only thing that has come close had to do with Hendricks and a cucumber. I have looked and asked around but no one seems to know what I am refering to. They way they interact made this delicious. I have hopeing one of you learned ladies or gentleman can help with this. Thank you for your assistance in this matter and enjoy your day.

Make a Tom Collins, Gimlet, or Gin Ricky. Try making the same drink, but vary the gin you are using to find what you like best and experiment. Don't use junk like grocery store Tom Collins mix, make your own simple syrup, squeeze your own citrus.

You post is a bit hard to read, but if your looking for "Hendricks and cucumber" that's actually a drink suggested by the distiller and various versions of garnished/muddled cucumber gin and tonics are easily found on the web.

Jahoodie fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 12, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

tboeske01 posted:

This site, Gin and Tales, has a lot of gin cocktails.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm on cloud 9 right now. After forever and ever of not being able to get specialty liqueurs in Virginia, one of the ABCs near me started actually keeping two brands of maraschino and both varietals of Chartreuse on the shelf. Now if I could only get decent creme liqueurs in there...

...Speaking of which, the only creme de cassis available in ABC is Hiram Walker, so I'm looking at a pseudo-alternative. Chambord? Chateau de Monet? Pama? Anyone know anything about these or other dark berry liqueurs?

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm on cloud 9 right now. After forever and ever of not being able to get specialty liqueurs in Virginia, one of the ABCs near me started actually keeping two brands of maraschino and both varietals of Chartreuse on the shelf. Now if I could only get decent creme liqueurs in there...

...Speaking of which, the only creme de cassis available in ABC is Hiram Walker, so I'm looking at a pseudo-alternative. Chambord? Chateau de Monet? Pama? Anyone know anything about these or other dark berry liqueurs?

If you can get anything made by Marie Brizard or Mathilde, those are suitably close the creme de cassis and are, in my experience, pretty drat tasty. I'm not a big fan of Chambord personally. If you're really desperate for berry liqueur, I'm sure there are several infusing experts in this thread lurking about somewhere.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Jahoodie posted:

Make a Tom Collins, Gimlet, or Gin Ricky. Try making the same drink, but vary the gin you are using to find what you like best and experiment. Don't use junk like grocery store Tom Collins mix, make your own simple syrup, squeeze your own citrus.

Yeah, my first recommendation would be to upgrade your mixers from "low to mid grade" to the best stuff you can get. Bonus: it's not as expensive as the booze you're already drinking.

I stock lemons, limes, simple syrup, tonic, club soda, mint (sometimes when it looks nice), grenadine, rose's lime (for gimlets), cherries (if you want to get fancy, make your own maraschino cherries; the ones in the jar are poo poo), and some other stuff I'm sure I'm not remembering. Citrus is dirt cheap, simply syrup takes maybe 10 minutes to make, and I end up with some really sublime drinks by not using premade lovely mixers.

If push came to shove I could probably restock the entire mixers selection for less than $20. When you're drinking $40 gin, it's really worth the time.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Vegetable Melange posted:

your hearts in the right place but your head is adding grain alcohol to jello. Read a book, make a drink with fresh ingredients, or move to NYC because I need a Barback.

Could you explain why grain alcohol is a bad idea with jello? I've read the Craft of the Cocktail and The Essential Cocktail by Dale Degroff and I'm halfway through the Savoy Cocktail book at the moment.

I typically use fresh ingredients when I mix, but I've lately been making jello shots instead of mixing for the parties I host since I'd rather hit on girls than stand behind a table making drinks all night. I pretty much only make cocktails now for date nights, event gigs and dinner parties.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Could you explain why grain alcohol is a bad idea with jello? I've read the Craft of the Cocktail and The Essential Cocktail by Dale Degroff and I'm halfway through the Savoy Cocktail book at the moment.

It is a great idea, if the end result is getting blattered, which is why Jesus invented whiskey a thousand years ago.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

I typically use fresh ingredients when I mix, but I've lately been making jello shots instead of mixing for the parties I host since I'd rather hit on girls than stand behind a table making drinks all night. I pretty much only make cocktails now for date nights, event gigs and dinner parties.

Hey Kenning, have anything you'd like to say about that?

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

It is a great idea, if the end result is getting blattered, which is why Jesus invented whiskey a thousand years ago.

They're jello shots for college kids. Of course the goal is getting plastered for the cheapest amount possible. =D

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

They're jello shots for college kids. Of course the goal is getting plastered for the cheapest amount possible. =D

Then just drink well vodka and juice or something, this is the cocktail thread :smuggo:

But no really, maybe I just don't get why you'd put so much effort into something like making the fanciest jello shot ever, when you could put small effort into tweaking an already good drink. Try starting with the 12 bottle bar blog if you wanted a budget set up that can do alot of classy things; you can always mix up a pitcher or a punch if you don't want to play bartender.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I would like to volunteer that when I was at the beach this week I made the gently caress out some piña coladas and they were awesome. Got a party on Friday night, need to find a suitable punch bowl for the cocktail hour: might make a big batch of aviations or an over proof majors punch. Wray and nephew is surprisingly cheap in my hood...

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

Jahoodie posted:

Then just drink well vodka and juice or something, this is the cocktail thread :smuggo:

But no really, maybe I just don't get why you'd put so much effort into something like making the fanciest jello shot ever, when you could put small effort into tweaking an already good drink. Try starting with the 12 bottle bar blog if you wanted a budget set up that can do alot of classy things; you can always mix up a pitcher or a punch if you don't want to play bartender.

Hmm that's not a bad idea. I'll try that come freshman week in a month. The nice thing about jello shots is the whole no-setup no-cleanup aspect, but I suppose my laziness is no excuse in this thread. I will check out that blog asap, and will most likely acquire some pitchers as well.

I would like to volunteer that when I was at the beach this week I made the gently caress out some piña coladas and they were awesome. Got a party on Friday night, need to find a suitable punch bowl for the cocktail hour: might make a big batch of aviations or an over proof majors punch. Wray and nephew is surprisingly cheap in my hood...

Could you recommend a coconut cream for pina coladas? I'm not a huge fan of Coco Lopez.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Alright, my office is having a party friday afternoon and I'm in charge of making "jungle juice or punch or something, enough to get 24 people drunk". Coworkers are aged 23 to 55 with a mix of people who are beer drinkers, wine snobs, cocktail artisans, and people whose dream drink would be described as "something sweet that doesn't taste like alcohol".

Any recommendations for a punch? I know that Admiral Russell punch recipe is the first one in the arsenal, but that won't go over well here.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Alright, my office is having a party friday afternoon and I'm in charge of making "jungle juice or punch or something, enough to get 24 people drunk". Coworkers are aged 23 to 55 with a mix of people who are beer drinkers, wine snobs, cocktail artisans, and people whose dream drink would be described as "something sweet that doesn't taste like alcohol".

Any recommendations for a punch? I know that Admiral Russell punch recipe is the first one in the arsenal, but that won't go over well here.

Is there someone in one of those groups that
a. you want to gently caress
b. is in charge of your review
?
Important.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There is a gin based punch mentioned a few pages back that would probably do the trick. Should be pretty sweet, and if you get some decent gin, not taste like boozy pine sol.

Speaking of gin, I am throwing a gin cocktail party tomorrow night and wanted some recommendations for a good workhorse mixing gin.

Right now the plan is pick up some Cointreau, sweet vermouth and campari (maybe some maraschino if I can fit it into the budget). A friend said he would bring some champagne for french 75s. So we will have a huge amount of different drinks to make. Another friend is bringing the bottoms of a few different bottles of gin for some variety, but we will need more.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

?
Important.

I won't empty quote this but please, think of the important things.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

There is a gin based punch mentioned a few pages back that would probably do the trick. Should be pretty sweet, and if you get some decent gin, not taste like boozy pine sol.

Speaking of gin, I am throwing a gin cocktail party tomorrow night and wanted some recommendations for a good workhorse mixing gin.

Right now the plan is pick up some Cointreau, sweet vermouth and campari (maybe some maraschino if I can fit it into the budget). A friend said he would bring some champagne for french 75s. So we will have a huge amount of different drinks to make. Another friend is bringing the bottoms of a few different bottles of gin for some variety, but we will need more.

Gilbey's is the cheapest gin that doesn't taste completely like poo poo; it's pretty neutral-tasting, really. I haven't bought any in years, but I remember it being about $12 for a half-gallon.

Gordon's is a good step up from there. I'd get Gordon's if I was making a big punch or a shitload of mixed drinks, but I'm pretty cheap. Probably around $19 for the handle.

At the next tier up from there, I would get Beefeater; it's slightly cheaper than Tanqueray and I like it much better. I like it more than Bombay, actually. $20 a fifth. I've never bought a half-gallon, but I'd assume it's a little over $30.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
A couple asked my boyfriend and I to design the signature cocktails for her wedding. BF is doing the groom's, and they'll also have beer and wine - so I'll be doing a more fruity/girly one for the bride. Decided to make three small infusions to just experiment with (with her) - one grapefruit, one ginger, and I'm undecided on the third. Ideas for something that's in that direction without being too sweet/fruity?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

At the next tier up from there, I would get Beefeater; it's slightly cheaper than Tanqueray and I like it much better. I like it more than Bombay, actually. $20 a fifth. I've never bought a half-gallon, but I'd assume it's a little over $30.

Yeah, I was going to recommend Beefeater; I think it'll give you the most bang for your buck.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Invalid Octopus posted:

A couple asked my boyfriend and I to design the signature cocktails for her wedding. BF is doing the groom's, and they'll also have beer and wine - so I'll be doing a more fruity/girly one for the bride. Decided to make three small infusions to just experiment with (with her) - one grapefruit, one ginger, and I'm undecided on the third. Ideas for something that's in that direction without being too sweet/fruity?

French 75s!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
After buying a bottle of Hendricks I bought one of Tanqueray since it was a fair bit cheaper even after both have been reduced. I don't want to drink anything other than Hendricks again if its being bought from the supermarket. I added a whole homegrown small cucumber to my last drink and even though I added way too much hendricks (its kind of hard to tell how much is left in the bottle) it tasted great.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

icehewk posted:

French 75s!

As much as I like them, she asked me to make up a signature cocktail, so I was asking for advice on what the third flavor of vodka to mess around with should be. Ended up picking up some Asian pears!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

As much as I like them, she asked me to make up a signature cocktail, so I was asking for advice on what the third flavor of vodka to mess around with should be. Ended up picking up some Asian pears!

I was going to suggest Rhubarb.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

I was going to suggest Rhubarb.

Oooh, that's an excellent idea. Thanks!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

?
Important.

Heh. No to a., although my boss is a fan of beer and classic cocktails. He's the one who suggested the "or jungle juice" part, so I'm not worried about impressing him or him being picky.

Speaking of French 75's, would a punch bowl full of that work out well? I've made Champagne Punches before and they were great. I can't see why a vat full of French 75 wouldn't function.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

A French 75 is finished with a dash or two of absinthe on top, so that'd be your only challenge really, seeing that it'd be pretty tough to do an absinthe float on an entire bowl. I mean, you could just not bother. It's up to you really how detailed you want to get, and it kind of depends on how it's going to be served as well. If it's self serve, then it's probably not the best idea to have a bottle of absinthe lying around for people to add themselves, but if you're going to be manning the bowl all night then you could add the absinthe to each glass, and be able to garnish with a lemon twist as well.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

nrr posted:

A French 75 is finished with a dash or two of absinthe on top, so that'd be your only challenge really, seeing that it'd be pretty tough to do an absinthe float on an entire bowl. I mean, you could just not bother. It's up to you really how detailed you want to get, and it kind of depends on how it's going to be served as well. If it's self serve, then it's probably not the best idea to have a bottle of absinthe lying around for people to add themselves, but if you're going to be manning the bowl all night then you could add the absinthe to each glass, and be able to garnish with a lemon twist as well.

When you say absinthe, do you mean the real stuff, or a "substitute" like pernod?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Interesting. I had never heard of or had a French 75 with absinthe, but it looks like there are quite a few sources claiming that to be a staple of the recipe.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

When you say absinthe, do you mean the real stuff, or a "substitute" like pernod?

Yeah I use a real absinthe, but transfered into a small bottle with a tighter spout like this so I can just add a couple of small dashes to give it that little hint.

The Tinfoil Price
Jun 19, 2012

Calamari Express

nrr posted:

Yeah I use a real absinthe, but transfered into a small bottle with a tighter spout like this so I can just add a couple of small dashes to give it that little hint.

If you want a truly silly drink, make a Green Hornet.

1/2 oz absinthe, preferably lovely Czech absinthe
1/2 oz Everclear.

For a chaser, mix two ounces of smug with one ounce of wince.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

nrr posted:

That is absolutley gorgeous! Where can I find one of those for my collection?
Ok, more like 5 for my collection actually.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can anybody tell me anything about Carriage House Apple Brandy?

I "upgraded" from Captain Apple Jack BIB to Laird's, but VA ABC stocks two kinds of Laird's:

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't believe I shelled out $30 for this

I like turtles posted:

This is the stuff that is gross:

The first is obviously adulterated with vodka, and ILT insists the latter is much the same. I've been sticking with Captain since I managed to use up the Laird's.

Also, what do I do with this Heering now that I got it, and how does it compare to Luxardo Maraschino?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 18, 2012

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Can anybody tell me anything about Carriage House Apple Brandy?

I "upgraded" from Captain Apple Jack BIB to Laird's, but VA ABC stocks two kinds of Laird's:

The first is obviously adulterated with vodka, and ILT insists the latter is much the same. I've been sticking with Captain since I managed to use up the Laird's.

Also, what do I do with this Heering now that I got it, and how does it compare to Luxardo Maraschino?

The Bonded is not adulterated, only the second one.

Heering and Maraschino, while both based on cherry, are vastly different beasts. Maraschino is made from Croatian sour cherries (maraska), and Heering is a darker brandy made from Dutch cherries. One is used to sour drinks, the other to sweeten and add a hint of cherry. I wouldn't sub one for another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The Bonded is not adulterated, only the second one.
Laird's Old Apple Brandy isn't bonded; it's 80 proof. I've heard they make a bonded that's good, but we don't get it here, unfortunately.