Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yessssssss. Spanish Moon, October 15th. Looks like I'll be seeing them for a 3rd time! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Going to see And So I Watch You From Afar tomorrow in NYC. How sweaty should I expect to get at this show?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Well, And So I Watch You From Afar was possibly one of the most amazing shows Ive ever been too. The band, the set list, the crowd, the insanity it was all so loving perfect. The opening bands, Brontide and Zechs Marquise were phenomenal as well.

At one point the guitarists, Niall and Rory during the plucky guitar bridge/buildup in The Voiceless, got into the middle of the crowd/mosh pit and sat down and everybody huddled and sat around them as they built it up and they slowly started getting up with the pace of the music and once it kicked it from there they played the rest of the song while moshing with everybody. Then Niall gave his guitar to an audience member and shoved him up stage to just play anything during the big noisy ending while Niall tweaked his pedals. Their relationship with the crowd was just loving awesome.

Honestly seeing Brontide live put them on par with Russian Circles in the Post-Rock/Metal area for me, they absolutely killed it. Zechs Marquise had me thinking that this is what The Mars Volta should have been.

And on top of all that, I got to hang out with ASIWYFA and the other bands at a bar afterwards. They are really awesome guys and it was their first time in NYC so they were really excited to be here.

I cannot recommend seeing any band higher than I can ASIWYFA. It was just one of those magical live music experiences.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Well, And So I Watch You From Afar was possibly one of the most amazing shows Ive ever been too. The band, the set list, the crowd, the insanity it was all so loving perfect. The opening bands, Brontide and Zechs Marquise were phenomenal as well.

At one point the guitarists, Niall and Rory during the plucky guitar bridge/buildup in The Voiceless, got into the middle of the crowd/mosh pit and sat down and everybody huddled and sat around them as they built it up and they slowly started getting up with the pace of the music and once it kicked it from there they played the rest of the song while moshing with everybody. Then Niall gave his guitar to an audience member and shoved him up stage to just play anything during the big noisy ending while Niall tweaked his pedals. Their relationship with the crowd was just loving awesome.

Honestly seeing Brontide live put them on par with Russian Circles in the Post-Rock/Metal area for me, they absolutely killed it. Zechs Marquise had me thinking that this is what The Mars Volta should have been.

And on top of all that, I got to hang out with ASIWYFA and the other bands at a bar afterwards. They are really awesome guys and it was their first time in NYC so they were really excited to be here.

I cannot recommend seeing any band higher than I can ASIWYFA. It was just one of those magical live music experiences.

This is all 100% true. It's the reason that I've managed to see them 10 times. They are the best live band I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. The interaction with the crowd just puts them over the edge for me.

I saw Brontide at 2000 Trees festival and they were really good, much better that I thought they were going to be.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
New MONO album means I can rekindle my favourite tradition of not listening to the album before seeing it live. :iia:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
It just went up for pre-order on their label's site, white vinyl for the first 500 LP preorders :woop:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Just grabbed a ticket to the DC Show. The Rock n Roll Hotel holds like... 100 people, so this is gonna be awesome.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

david puddy posted:

It just went up for pre-order on their label's site, white vinyl for the first 500 LP preorders :woop:

I wonder if I got in early enough. They happened to be put up for sale just as I was looking for my show tickets, and nabbed one right away. It probably was 10 minutes after the announcement? I suppose it takes some time to percolate through social networks but they'd been announcing the preorders for a day before that.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Jan posted:

I wonder if I got in early enough. They happened to be put up for sale just as I was looking for my show tickets, and nabbed one right away. It probably was 10 minutes after the announcement? I suppose it takes some time to percolate through social networks but they'd been announcing the preorders for a day before that.

If you still haven't, the white sold out but they're offering clear and grey pressings now, 300 copies of each.

\/\/\/ I am actually kind of frustrated because I'd take clear over white any day, but the white does look nice with the sleeve I guess so v:v:v

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 31, 2012

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

david puddy posted:

If you still haven't, the white sold out but they're offering clear and grey pressings now, 300 copies of each.

That message wasn't up when I ordered, so either I got one or they don't update fast. Now I should order two more in clear and grey, gotta catch em all! :v:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Wow, Mono is really good. I pre-ordered the vinyl too.
Also just discovered they are going to play in Chicago a few blocks from where I live. Welp, that is happening.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Temporary Residence posted:

Thanks for the preorder! You will receive the limited WHITE version. We will ship on and around Aug 20th. You will receive a notification once shipped.

:woop:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I got the white version too :haw::fh:

Dream Odyssey is such a quality song, I am so excited for this album.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
They are streaming the Sigur Ros show going on right now in Brooklyn.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/157422851/sigur-r-s-live-in-concert-from-celebrate-brooklyn

Audio only.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Ohms posted:

They are streaming the Sigur Ros show going on right now in Brooklyn.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/157422851/sigur-r-s-live-in-concert-from-celebrate-brooklyn

Audio only.

Awesome, I tuned in just in time to hear the start of Vaka. Why only 1 UK date this year guys! :argh:

Edit: Saegleopur! Yes!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

david puddy posted:

I got the white version too :haw::fh:

Dream Odyssey is such a quality song, I am so excited for this album.

I didn't get a confirmation email yet :saddowns:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Went to a local post-rock band's album release party last night, and End of the Ocean was opening up for them. EOTO's new album has a deluxe edition in which it's a CD, but the last inch or so of the disc has grooves so you can play it in a record player :aaa:

Also I should give a plug for the local band. They make really pretty post rock and they've got a new album so show them love :)

http://theorchid.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-vast-endless-sea

edit2: Link to the limited edition End of the Ocean album that plays on Vinyl
http://futurerecordings.bigcartel.com/product/pre-order-the-end-of-the-ocean-in-excelsis-cd-lathe

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 1, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

Went to a local post-rock band's album release party last night, and End of the Ocean was opening up for them. EOTO's new album has a deluxe edition in which it's a CD, but the last inch or so of the disc has grooves so you can play it in a record player :aaa:

Oh man, that is some gimmick. Ordering the hell out of that :allears:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I gotta plug some Brontide. I cannot stop listening to this album.

They are like a beautiful marriage of El Ten Eleven and Russian Circles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVAuYlVhOLg

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

I gotta plug some Brontide. I cannot stop listening to this album.

They are like a beautiful marriage of El Ten Eleven and Russian Circles.

It's very Don Cab actually, good find!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
La Mar are making amazing post-rock that you should definitely be listening to. Picked it up via a rec on Twitter before going on holiday, and I think I listened to it every day whilst I was away. Really digging it.

(Apologies if they have been posted about before, but I couldn't see anything). Hope some of you dig it as well.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Whenever someone mentions Brontide I think they're talking about Barrows for some reason. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAA8DQHi-tI

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I don't know how many of you are into OG-type early-90s Louisville-centered post-rock (grimy, sad, non-twinkly post) but the scene lost one of the greats a few days ago. Jason Noble, frontman for Rachel's, Rodan, and Shipping News died at the age of 40 after a very brutal and very heartwrenching battle with synovial sarcoma. Here's the RS article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rodan-singer-jason-noble-dead-at-40-20120806

and here's Jason's blog, which documents his last few hopeful months:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jasonnoble

I think, if you're not familiar with his work, you should all listen to the Shipping News album Flies the Fields sometime soon. Sad day.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Cloudkicker's new album just dropped and it is truly awesome. No technical metal wizardry on this one, it's just really, really sharp instrumental rock with his signature rhythmic flair, but not to an indulgent degree. He didn't really win me over with Let Yourself Be Huge, but this is just downright tasteful, and it sounds so very nice. Playing the poo poo out of Making Will Mad right now, the way it builds up about halfway through is so great, almost sounds like Jakob.

http://cloudkicker.bandcamp.com/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It's really, really good. Brilliant guitar tone and really tight production.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Cloudkicker's new album just dropped and it is truly awesome. No technical metal wizardry on this one, it's just really, really sharp instrumental rock with his signature rhythmic flair, but not to an indulgent degree. He didn't really win me over with Let Yourself Be Huge, but this is just downright tasteful, and it sounds so very nice. Playing the poo poo out of Making Will Mad right now, the way it builds up about halfway through is so great, almost sounds like Jakob.

http://cloudkicker.bandcamp.com/

I loved LYBH instantly, but I really haven't gotten into this one yet, which is weird, as I really dig the "post-Beacons" sound that he said he was aiming for. So far, it sounds nice but it isn't really holding my attention. I will give it another spin after I've finished listening to Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada. I recently got tickets to see GY!BE in London in November, so I figured I should get to know material that isn't LYSF and Yanqui.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

nomapple posted:

I recently got tickets to see GY!BE in London in November, so I figured I should get to know material that isn't LYSF and Yanqui.

Get your hands on the vinyl version of F♯A♯∞ if you can, I think it's much better than the CD version (and so does the band from what I can gather).

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I'm seeing Sigur Rós tonight at the Edgefield. Jónsi put on one of the most emotionally power concerts I've ever seen, so I'm extremely excited to see the full band. Anyone else have tickets this tour?

Update: It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 10, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNmIDqH2ik

"Halls of the Summer" from Caspian's new album Waking Season.

Such a pretty track. I really can't wait for the rest of this album. I knew these guys weren't gonna let me down.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNmIDqH2ik

"Halls of the Summer" from Caspian's new album Waking Season.

Such a pretty track. I really can't wait for the rest of this album. I knew these guys weren't gonna let me down.

This track is wonderful, and pre-orders are up now! If you want the vinyl, I'd be quick, as it is limited to 300 and on clear. I can't wait to hear this album!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The new Mono album is incredible.

Here's the first track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usHC-O1BPCM

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Jesus Christ that's incredible.
One of the most beautiful pieces of post rock I've ever heard.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

They've just been announced for the Shellac ATP too, which I've been on the fence about 'cos of the move back to Camber Sands, but that might just seal the deal. Only managed to catch them once beofre, at the EITS ATP, and that was awesome despite being the first band of the weekend.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

As with most Mono tracks, this one manages to break my heart into a million pieces and sew it back together all at the same time.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
The way it builds is really beautiful

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Why are people using my avatar :reject:

Also, I didn't find Legend to be as good as Dream Odyssey. I usually prefer loud post-rock songs but for some reason it doesn't quite do it for me as much as their other work. I still think it's a top-notch song, and I am very keen for the record to arrive.

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm seeing Sigur Rós tonight at the Edgefield. Jónsi put on one of the most emotionally power concerts I've ever seen, so I'm extremely excited to see the full band. Anyone else have tickets this tour?

Update: It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Saw them in Prospect Park on July 31st.

Gotta agree. Seeing them play Vaka, Saeglopur, and Svefn-g-englar while the sun set over NYC was incredible, to say nothing of the rest of their performance.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

david puddy posted:

What do you mean?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

You know, Facebook ads can be annoying and everything, but they just saved me from missing Russian Circles in NYC tonight.

edit: holy poo poo did somebody seriously buy a bunch of avatars for people in this thread? As an 8 years member of this forum, Im happy to finally have one. Thank you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

edit: holy poo poo did somebody seriously buy a bunch of avatars for people in this thread? As an 8 years member of this forum, Im happy to finally have one. Thank you?
The crescendo is bringing tears to my eyes, omg

edit:

david puddy posted:

It's a great avatar and always seemed a great fit for this thread!

het fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 18, 2012