Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

The Gravity Falls/Deadly Premonition connection just keeps getting stronger and stronger.

I would poo poo so many bricks for a direct reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pakled posted:

The Gravity Falls/Deadly Premonition connection just keeps getting stronger and stronger.

Deadly Premonition? Really? :ughh:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Occupation posted:

Deadly Premonition? Really? :ughh:

I know it's a reference to Twin Peaks and I know Deadly Premonition is full of references to Twin Peaks, but I've never watched that show. v:v:v

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Short and sweet little interview with Alex Hirsch from The New York Times. Some very nice quotes from him there. I especially like this quote, which seems like a good rebuttal to all those "Gravity Falls is a bad influence for children/doesn't belong on Disney/is a tool of the Illuminati" nutjobs out there (also, the Ukraine):

Alex Hirsch posted:

I’ve never pitched a joke that I wouldn’t be comfortable seeing in a Pixar film. I watched the classics as a kid, and I could tell that Bugs Bunny in drag was a cartoon and a joke. It didn’t make me start dressing in drag. The answer is that we have our battles. Sometimes the restrictions help you write a better joke. Sometimes you have to push back and tell them to lighten up.

Now if we can just get people to stop posting that photoshopped image with Slenderman in it on social networking sites thinking it's real, we'll be all set.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I finally got to see the new episode, holy poo poo this is the best one.

"I'M GONNA LEGALIZE EVERYTHING!" :D

Also, literally everything with the secret president, I want him to have his own show.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
William Henry Harrison!

Indiana Represent!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So. how long til the next episode hits the On Demand internets?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Irrational Treasure was pretty great, but coming on the heels of Double Dipper I found myself missing the latter's heart. Double Dipper was pretty hilarious, but the bit at the end with Tyrone actually managed to be genuinely bittersweet. And any episode that can pull off those tonal shifts is a clear winner :colbert:

wefeelgroove
Oct 21, 2010

God bless this show.

The latest episode's ending was just gold. They give a cute but cliche "it's okay to be yourself!" lesson and then immediately glorify revenge. I love it. I also really like how Stan has moments of not being a total jerkass to the twins, or at least to Mabel. He clapped for her during the contest in the last episode and this one he pulled a fast one on Pacifica to defend her even though it opened him up to more humilation. It's almost sweet. :unsmith:

Is it next Friday yet? Episode 9 looks awesome going by the teaser. Really excited about the time traveller(?) getting an actual role in the show.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

wefeelgroove posted:

Is it next Friday yet? Episode 9 looks awesome going by the teaser. Really excited about the time traveler(?) getting an actual role in the show.

Where can I find the preview for episode 9? Also The Time Traveler's Pig is a parody of the title The Time Traveler's Wife. Love it!

wefeelgroove
Oct 21, 2010
I saw it during the commercial breaks, but I'm sure it'll be on youtube in no time.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Yup, here it is! Combined with the sneak peak from a while ago, I have high hopes for this episode.

Also, AV Club gave Irrational Treasure an A-. That's pretty cool.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Just started watching this show thanks to this thread. After watching Episode 5, I am really in love with it. There are just so many great one-liners, references and one-ofs to enjoy here. I still giggle at "Look! It's Dancy Pants Revolution, the game that tricks people into exercising!"

I also had no idea Jason Ritter was Dipper. He's one of the nicest guys in the industry and I wouldn't have waited so long to support him if I had known about it earlier. I'm really glad to see the ratings are doing well. I can see this being a really, really big hit come next year's Comic Con.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nick_326 posted:

Yup, here it is! Combined with the sneak peak from a while ago, I have high hopes for this episode.

Oh man that episode looks like it's going to be nuts.

Also it sounds like the gray suited time traveler may be voiced by Lemongrab?? It sounded that way when he shouted. So that's awesome.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I just realised I have this show on demand in Canada through Family Channel. They're a few episodes behind though.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
That was Chris Parnell as the film narrator, right?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Irrational Treasure is my new favorite episode. I can't remember the last time I saw a show with this many great lines outside of an episode of MST3K.

"Is that my third wife? Sally?!"

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

404GoonNotFound posted:

That was Chris Parnell as the film narrator, right?

Yes it was.

This show has the best VA cameos/minor roles ever. Tara Strong, Chris Parnell, Will Forte... :allears:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Command Ant posted:

Irrational Treasure is my new favorite episode. I can't remember the last time I saw a show with this many great lines outside of an episode of MST3K.

"Is that my third wife? Sally?!"

Bird. His bird wife.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Bird. His bird wife.

Hey, it's legal. Very legal.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

404GoonNotFound posted:

Bird. His bird wife.
I heard third, and third is way funnier.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Bird. His bird wife.

I'm pretty sure "third" is the word.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Command Ant posted:

I'm pretty sure "third" is the word.

We are 3 seconds away from a tired Family Guy gag. Shut it down folks.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Just saw Irrational Treasure and I loved loved loved the whole USA! and crying mulleted man scene.

And when they panned over all the townsfolk in the episode, did anyone else get the feeling that Manly Dan and the unnamed guy in shorts who's always cheering him are together? I may be seeing something that isn't there, but it seems that he's just a really great husband who's always really proud and supportive of whatever Manly Dan does.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Manly Dan and the unnamed guy in shorts who's always cheering him are together? I may be seeing something that isn't there, but it seems that he's just a really great husband who's always really proud and supportive of whatever Manly Dan does.
No because Manly Dan has children and no way in hell would there be an extra-marital thing in a Disney show. This show is really loving good, and a lot of that is because it avoids or subverts so much of basic kids show crap, but there's a line, and that's way past it.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

No because Manly Dan has children and no way in hell would there be an extra-marital thing in a Disney show. This show is really loving good, and a lot of that is because it avoids or subverts so much of basic kids show crap, but there's a line, and that's way past it.

Fair enough.

Does anyone have a gif of the crying mullet dude? It is a thing of pure beauty and it is everything I aspire to be as an American.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Fair enough.

Does anyone have a gif of the crying mullet dude? It is a thing of pure beauty and it is everything I aspire to be as an American.

Haven't managed to find it without the text :911:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just for the record I didn't mean any offense and if I came off too harsh or abrasive I'm sorry. This is a nice show with nice people and nice characters and nice things and we should all be nice to each other.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Just for the record I didn't mean any offense and if I came off too harsh or abrasive I'm sorry. This is a nice show with nice people and nice characters and nice things and we should all be nice to each other.

It would be awesome if there was a nice gay family in it but there probably isn't!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Just saw Irrational Treasure and I loved loved loved the whole USA! and crying mulleted man scene.

And when they panned over all the townsfolk in the episode, did anyone else get the feeling that Manly Dan and the unnamed guy in shorts who's always cheering him are together? I may be seeing something that isn't there, but it seems that he's just a really great husband who's always really proud and supportive of whatever Manly Dan does.

It's more of Manly Dan comes across as an Ex-ProWrestler and that dude that keeps popping up and cheering him is a diehard fan.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Devil Tesla posted:

It would be awesome if there was a nice gay family in it but there probably isn't!
Manly Dan's children don't look adopted.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Manly Dan's children don't look adopted.

Or you know, they could his children from a previous marriage. There isn't particularly anything unwholesome about that, kid's shows address divorce as a thing that happens all the time. Disney has pushed the "Families come in all shapes and sizes" idea (mostly as a marketing device, but it's progress), and I wouldn't be surprised if same sex couples started showing up in family shows more often.

But I think the "enamored fan" angle is definitely the way they're going for this.

Winklebottom posted:

Haven't managed to find it without the text :911:

God I love this gif.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

Quentin Trembley is married to that bird and I remember reading somewhere that, because of the bird's plumage, it's male. So we have seen a gay marriage.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Mystic_Squid posted:

Quentin Trembley is married to that bird and I remember reading somewhere that, because of the bird's plumage, it's male. So we have seen a gay marriage.

Yeah, this would be a male pileated woodpecker. Female is on the right:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Filthy Haiku posted:

Or you know, they could his children from a previous marriage. There isn't particularly anything unwholesome about that, kid's shows address divorce as a thing that happens all the time. Disney has pushed the "Families come in all shapes and sizes" idea (mostly as a marketing device, but it's progress), and I wouldn't be surprised if same sex couples started showing up in family shows more often.

But I think the "enamored fan" angle is definitely the way they're going for this.

God I love this gif.

It'll be enamored fan if it's ever even called attention to, but I'd legit love it if it was just totally treated it as totally normal because hey, there's loving copy machine clones and poo poo all around who cares if my dad is with crazy shorts dude.

On the topic of actual 'romances' on the show, Dipper and Wendy are awesomely done, it fits the whole younger kid with a crush on someone older thing really right to show it as both awkward and hilarious for everyone but the one with the crush.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'd rather imagine Manly Dan is still with the mother of his children, because have you seen Tyler? Him being in a romantic relationship with Dan would be a "Man of steel, other man of kleenex" thing.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd rather imagine Manly Dan is still with the mother of his children, because have you seen Tyler? Him being in a romantic relationship with Dan would be a "Man of steel, other man of kleenex" thing.

The guys's name is officially "Cute Biker Guy," as far as the storyboards go right? I thought any name other than that was born on Tumblr or somewhere else equally as retched.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Cat Mattress posted:

Dan's a bottom.

(Oh, god, is this how bronies started? Abort! ABORT!)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So people who get the episodes a week early through on demand, check for next week's episode on there! It's the best so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah, this would be a male pileated woodpecker. Female is on the right:

Gravity Falls: A Progressive Town

• Locked thread