Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

If anyone still cares as much as I do, Spoony uploaded his Ultima 9 finale, and it is very, very well done. It clocks in at just under 47 minutes long, but he ends the series with a bang. Literally.

I think this one finally came into its own in this part, but it was killing me when he was recording himself. He looked like he A) Hadn't slept in 3 days B) Got punched in both eyes or C) Was tripping balls on nutmeg. His eyes were super red and then it seemed to drizzle down his face like makeup. I guess he was dragging his fingers down his cheek but it was so bizarre and distracting I had to come tell an online forum discussion about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I totally assumed that was just make-up, but if it isn't he should probably see a doctor or something.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

synertia posted:

I think this one finally came into its own in this part, but it was killing me when he was recording himself. He looked like he A) Hadn't slept in 3 days B) Got punched in both eyes or C) Was tripping balls on nutmeg. His eyes were super red and then it seemed to drizzle down his face like makeup. I guess he was dragging his fingers down his cheek but it was so bizarre and distracting I had to come tell an online forum discussion about it.

It was definitely makeup, and it got progressively heavier into the review, but slowly enough to actually be a really subtle and unsettling detail. He actually has an eye for fine detail, but usually just hams it up.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Dominic White posted:

It was definitely makeup, and it got progressively heavier into the review, but slowly enough to actually be a really subtle and unsettling detail. He actually has an eye for fine detail, but usually just hams it up.

Ok, it makes sense when I think about it, but it was so subtle I thought something was up with his face. Glad I never got around to playing Ultima 9, though.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

PlatinumJukebox posted:

So, say I've never played any of the games in the FPS sale, and I'm only interested in the single-player experience. Any recommendations?

If you pick up Duke 3D you might want to get http://eduke32.com/.

My computer is old and terrible and just barely able to run Far Cry 2. Is it worth bothering then?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, people were sending concerned tweets and he confirmed it was just makeup.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Myron posted:

My computer is old and terrible and just barely able to run Far Cry 2. Is it worth bothering then?

Considering the gunplay is hard enough with a steady framerate and a good portion of your fun is admiring the gorgeous scenery, I wouldn't.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think Farcry 2 is interesting enough to warrant a purchase. It doesn't appeal to everyone, but it was definitely a very unique experience for me.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

After unlocking most/all of the guns, Far Cry 2 instantly turns into the perfect shooter for people who just want to shoot a bunch of dudes for an hour or so and then get on with their day. It's a fantastic dicking around game once you unlock the second area.

My main beef with FC2 is that actually unlocking poo poo requires you to drive to a weapons hut (10 minutes of driving, 2 checkpoints), get a mission that sends you to the opposite side of the map (20 minutes, 5 checkpoints), and then drive all the way back to report success, and you can't even take multiple missions at once to do them faster.

I've generally had my fill of shooting dudes before I'm even done the mission.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

scamtank posted:

Considering the gunplay is hard enough with a steady framerate and a good portion of your fun is admiring the gorgeous scenery, I wouldn't.

What exactly makes the gunplay hard? Is it frustrating, or just challenging?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Flumpus posted:

What exactly makes the gunplay hard? Is it frustrating, or just challenging?

Just plain old challenging. The recoil is such that it doesn't really hurl you off target immediately like in Modern Warfare but it creeps up on you whenever you fire more than three rounds or so. Combine that with more instances of wounding than killing whatever you shoot in the chest and the fact that you don't get a whole lot of feedback whenever you hit things.

Also the controls feel a little floaty. That's the thing that makes it feel hard when your FPS gets choppy.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

My main beef with FC2 is that actually unlocking poo poo requires you to drive to a weapons hut (10 minutes of driving, 2 checkpoints), get a mission that sends you to the opposite side of the map (20 minutes, 5 checkpoints), and then drive all the way back to report success, and you can't even take multiple missions at once to do them faster.

I've generally had my fill of shooting dudes before I'm even done the mission.

The trick is to drive to the nearest bus station instead.

I agree with what doctorfrog said, I had fun every time I played it. The enemy encounters could have been a bit more random, though. You'd come up to a checkpoint for the 4th time and here would be the usual six guys there and about ten seconds after you'd start fighting them a jeep with two enemies would roll up behind you. And then you'd have to repair your vehicle or find a new one.

They should have switched it up with deserted checkpoints, friendly NPCs and other vehicles than jeeps patrolling the roads.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
They should have just made it so the enemy drivers don't always go at top speed when chasing you.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I agree with what doctorfrog said, I had fun every time I played it. The enemy encounters could have been a bit more random, though. You'd come up to a checkpoint for the 4th time and here would be the usual six guys there and about ten seconds after you'd start fighting them a jeep with two enemies would roll up behind you. And then you'd have to repair your vehicle or find a new one.

They should have switched it up with deserted checkpoints, friendly NPCs and other vehicles than jeeps patrolling the roads.
Far Cry 2 is the perfect example of an enjoyable if flawed game that could have been so much more with just a few tweaks: Ubisoft is an expert at wasting the potential of games they publish. Especially on PC (i.e. TCGRFS: so loving buggy, but I'll be damned if I stop playing it online).

I would recommend reading a few reviews, but I will say that I did enjoy it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Right around the third time I passed a checkpoint populated with the same six guys who were utterly surprised and furious at having me show up, I started feeling like I was some rear end in a top hat billionaire who paid a shadowy company to give me malaria and amnesia, bought exactly 50 square miles of African land, and hired a bunch of actors with guns shooting rubber bullets.

This whole game could have been brilliant if you had slowly uncovered a massive, twisted conspiracy against you started against yourself to go on the 80's action movie vacation of a lifetime. And then you go save mars

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
One thing I loved about Far Cry 2 is that it's one of the only games in which I can remember making a "bad" moral choice. Half-way through the game spoilers:

At one point you hear that the bad guys are attacking refugees holed up in a church, and also your buddy mercenaries in the Ex-Pats' bar. I chose to help the mercs. Sorry Resistance, but it's Big Boy Rules out here.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

New Release Arma 2: Combined Operations for 23.99$ (20% off promo).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

$30 price point? Is this now the most expensive game on GOG that isn't Witcher 2?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

doctorfrog posted:

$30 price point? Is this now the most expensive game on GOG that isn't Witcher 2?

Yep.

I really hate this direction they're taking. One of the great appeals the site had before was that their pricing structure was REALLY easy and everything was priced at "gently caress it, why not?" levels.

I can't remember the last game I impulse bought from them, because now I always look at the price first.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

macnbc posted:

Yep.

I really hate this direction they're taking. One of the great appeals the site had before was that their pricing structure was REALLY easy and everything was priced at "gently caress it, why not?" levels.

I can't remember the last game I impulse bought from them, because now I always look at the price first.

Aren't all the oldie games released still at the 6 and 10 dollar price points? Only the new games (indie and studio both) seem to be at new price points.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I recently finished Far Cry 2 and after a while doing the side stuff just starts to wear you down due to the efforts involved. Just do enough of that stuff to give you a head-start on unlocking weapons and after that just freshen up the gameplay by changing your weapon load-out every couple of missions and arrow your way directly to the end.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

macnbc posted:

I think they realized that they can't just release all old games because certain parties suck and won't cough up the rights. Like Lucasarts. I know that there are still plenty of games that we want, but there are plenty that we can't have because, again, certain parties suck.

I hope they can continue being successful, though. If they can scoop up the indie games that Steam rejects, like Unepic or Armageddon Empires, that might be some good as well.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

jivjov posted:

Aren't all the oldie games released still at the 6 and 10 dollar price points? Only the new games (indie and studio both) seem to be at new price points.

Dreamfall was released in 2006 and is $15. (GOG's guideline last I saw for "old" games is 5+ years.) There are newer games than that (like Still Life 2) that are less.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They thought they were going to be a niche store and have since realised that they have the potential to be a significant player on the digital distribution market. They've been very explicit that they're moving away from 'good old games' to 'gog.com' and are going to be a general store with a zero-drm policy. Which is fantastic.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

jivjov posted:

Yeah as long as the actual classic games are $5-10 I'm fine with the slightly over priced indie games.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

macnbc posted:

Yep.

I'm always confused when this comes up. $30 is the price for the game on Steam. It's also that same price on GoG because publishers (which in this case Bohemia Interactive) decide the price of the game. Unlike the classic games which I believe GoG can argue the price point to get $6/$10, new games don't have the same leeway. It's either agree with the price point or it's not on there. I don't see the problem with having new games that cost more, since you don't need to get the game and it doesn't effect how classic games are priced.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
They have both Aquanox games but not Archimedean Dynasty/Schleichfahrt? I miss that game so much but it's a complete nightmare to make it actually work even on DosBox.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

Alan Wake is that price and so are both of the Sam and Max series. Tales of Monkey Island is $34.99.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

And to be fair ArmA2: Combined Ops is $30 on Steam.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more

Alchenar posted:

They thought they were going to be a niche store and have since realised that they have the potential to be a significant player on the digital distribution market. They've been very explicit that they're moving away from 'good old games' to 'gog.com' and are going to be a general store with a zero-drm policy. Which is fantastic.

It really is. I always check GOG for any older title before Steam because the guys at CD Projekt are such PC gaming bros. Steam is weirdly beloved despite frequently selling games with two different types of DRM (itself and GFWL/Uplay/Social club etc) and having completely bullshit regional pricing.
CD Projekt are the only developer I would actually spend more for an equivalent title to support them and avoid DRM.
They also embarassed the gently caress out of everybody else with the Witcher 2. Even if it's not your cup of tea as a game, it is polished to a high shine, the production values are through the roof, the physical copy came with poo poo loads of extras (full manual, game guide, colour glossy map, making of DVD, soundtrack and more), they released a 4 or 5 hour DLC with enhancements free of charge and you get a free digital back up copy without any DRM!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hank Morgan posted:

I recently finished Far Cry 2 and after a while doing the side stuff just starts to wear you down due to the efforts involved. Just do enough of that stuff to give you a head-start on unlocking weapons and after that just freshen up the gameplay by changing your weapon load-out every couple of missions and arrow your way directly to the end.
I dunno, to me Far Cry is a drag if you make it a drag. If you look at it as a series of missions to be accomplished, everything standing between you and that goal is just irritating. I play about half an hour a night, so my experience is less about bulleting straight through a mission or being a completionist, and more of just playing around with the game mechanics and doing unnecessary challenges, like trying to navigate without the magic map or not picking up a new set of weapons for a mission. It *is* a grossly imperfect game that would have been amazing with mods, though.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I dunno, to me Far Cry is a drag if you make it a drag. If you look at it as a series of missions to be accomplished, everything standing between you and that goal is just irritating. I play about half an hour a night, so my experience is less about bulleting straight through a mission or being a completionist, and more of just playing around with the game mechanics and doing unnecessary challenges, like trying to navigate without the magic map or not picking up a new set of weapons for a mission. It *is* a grossly imperfect game that would have been amazing with mods, though.

The side missions were the most fun for me in Far Cry 2, especially the convoys for the arms dealers.

Put down mines/c4, then sit on a hill with an RPG. Blow the first and last vehicles and just lay into the fuckers, my god it was the most fun I've had in an FPS for a long long time. Also the mortar, but it was drat hard to use effectively.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

It really is. I always check GOG for any older title before Steam because the guys at CD Projekt are such PC gaming bros. Steam is weirdly beloved despite frequently selling games with two different types of DRM (itself and GFWL/Uplay/Social club etc) and having completely bullshit regional pricing.
CD Projekt are the only developer I would actually spend more for an equivalent title to support them and avoid DRM.
They also embarassed the gently caress out of everybody else with the Witcher 2. Even if it's not your cup of tea as a game, it is polished to a high shine, the production values are through the roof, the physical copy came with poo poo loads of extras (full manual, game guide, colour glossy map, making of DVD, soundtrack and more), they released a 4 or 5 hour DLC with enhancements free of charge and you get a free digital back up copy without any DRM!

I love my Steam, but I would be very happy for the market to polarise between a choice of getting my game from Steam and with all the services (and DRM) that entails, and getting it from gog.com and just having to download a simple .exe that installs my game with zero hassle.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Prawned posted:

The side missions were the most fun for me in Far Cry 2, especially the convoys for the arms dealers.

Put down mines/c4, then sit on a hill with an RPG. Blow the first and last vehicles and just lay into the fuckers, my god it was the most fun I've had in an FPS for a long long time. Also the mortar, but it was drat hard to use effectively.

No, you sit on the hill with the explosive crossbow. Rambo reenactments are the best.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum is today's release. I think this was already on Gog and now the expansion packs have been added?

Anyway, it's $8 for the next 24 hours.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/rollercoaster_tycoon_3

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum is today's release. I think this was already on Gog and now the expansion packs have been added?

Anyway, it's $8 for the next 24 hours.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/rollercoaster_tycoon_3

How is RCT3? I have fond memories f dicking around in the first game, and was delighted to find that the second was quite literally more of the same but better. How does the 3rd stack up?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Prawned posted:

Hell yeah. You quickly realize that with convoys, there's just this variety of ways to just blow poo poo up, it's just with what toys, and what movie scenario you want to reenact.

One thing I enjoyed was just taking my time getting there, and since the game was designed for brain-dead console players, the convoys literally drive in big-rear end circles on the map, there's no time limit.

Well, with the idiotic driving AI, after a while, some damned thing or another is going to get into the way of their path, like a gazelle or a zebra or something, and they'll smack into it each time they make a round, doing damage to their vehicles, which they'll ignore, they'll just keep driving. By the time I got there, the group was so slowed down and spread apart from their vehicle damage, I just sprinted up to the truck, shot the guy in the head, and drove it to a nearby checkpoint to let them blow it up. I think the next time this happens, I'm going to see if I can load it with C4 first.

Incidentally, not only is the "truck full of lovely AK's" completely empty, it also has no engine noise. I guess it's electric or something.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

jivjov posted:

How is RCT3? I have fond memories f dicking around in the first game, and was delighted to find that the second was quite literally more of the same but better. How does the 3rd stack up?

RCT1 - A great management sim, with a real sense of progression through levels. It has some flaws but all in all an overall great game.

RCT2 - More like an expansion pack for RCT1. Fixes a lot of problems, adds loads more features and even a level editor. The downside is that the levels are kind of boring and there's no feeling of progression like RCT1. You just play it rather than play through it.

RCT3 - Not really comparable. It's the ultimate theme park sandbox. With mods you can create pretty much anything you want. However the levels are pretty much a huge waste of your time and the UI has massive problems that take you a while to get used to.

So since you liked RCT2 more than RCT1 I would assume that you would like RCT3 even more since it pretty much builds on what RCT2 did better and does even worse in areas that RCT2 did poorly at.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

Hell yeah. You quickly realize that with convoys, there's just this variety of ways to just blow poo poo up, it's just with what toys, and what movie scenario you want to reenact.

The best way to do convoys was to ambush them with the silenced sniper rifle and take out only the drivers for the truck, then hide while the rest of them run around in circles and eventually leave, so you can just saunter over to the truck and drive it over a cliff somewhere. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Now served on GOG.com, Ultima IX: Ascension and Lands of Lore 3 for $5.99 a pop.

Also, 50% off anything and everything with the Ultima label.

GOG.com posted:

Ultima IX: Ascention, the memorable final installment of world's first cRPG saga.
That's...not entirely inaccurate...

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 23, 2012