Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shinobi for PS2 on the PSN store. I'd be more tempted except I remember how badly it kicked my rear end years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Shinobi for PS2 on the PSN store. I'd be more tempted except I remember how badly it kicked my rear end years ago.
Only play the game if you have a serious problem with floors in games. If you're the kind of player who says "why the hell is there a floor here? Why can I just stand here without falling to my death! This is all wrong!" then that is the game for you.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I for one embrace the fight against the tyranny of floors.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Is Shadow still $20? I noticed it's $20 for the collection on disc at Gamestop now, so unless they dropped the price SOC it's a ripoff on PSN.

Yeah it is, I didn't know that. That's the thing with the PSN versions of retail games - the retail is cheaper a good deal of the time. Rayman Origins is $20 which looks like a good price, or should it be cheaper?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Only play the game if you have a serious problem with floors in games. If you're the kind of player who says "why the hell is there a floor here? Why can I just stand here without falling to my death! This is all wrong!" then that is the game for you.

Yeah weren't a lot of the levels just a long continuous wallrun and if you gently caress it up you die? Sounds cool but isn't fun to play!

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Feenix posted:

I trust you a lot (I know opinions can differ) but I have never been more let down in my life than playing that Beta. Not because it's rough around the edges. I can stomach that in a beta if the core feels promising. It's just ROUGH right down to it's very soul.

Disclaimer: I haven't played in several weeks. If they've made sweeping improvements, perhaps it warrants a re-judge. :)

Please understand, I'm not making any predictions at this point at all. There's some stuff they talked about at E3 that was interesting, but please don't think me a champion for this game. I don't want my reputation for games I do honestly root for being tarnished here. I like what they are going for. I don't believe it'll be that when they hit market, but the improvements have been impressive.

I guess I want to use this post to apologize. I really, really like games. It most likely makes me the worst possible critic of them that has ever rightly earned some form of credence -- and I'm not quite there yet (though I obviously want to be). 15 years doesn't give you the pall to cast over a game, but I fear my assumption might become reality, and it's simply because I don't think CCP can yet make an FPS on this scale.

This IS NOT A SLIGHT. They can make a good game... with time. But this is an area utterly dominated by best-ofs. MAG, which I don't think is an unfair comparison, was something special, but it was a portent, and thus is an example and fair comparative tool.

I don't know what this game will become when it ships. I have seen it make unbelievable strides since I played it. It's good, in time when the NDA lifts, I hope to tell you how it's good, but it's a beast I think unprepared for these waters.

[edit] Jeezus gently caress, I just re-read that and finally understood why someone (I'm sorry, I want to remember who, but they do post and see this thread) said they thought that I spoke in a kind of sermon/preacher voice with a lot of my stuff.

I'm really sorry, guys, that I end up blathering for paragraphs on end about stuff. I... don't know how to shut of the train of thought, I guess, and that assessment is right: I do ramble or rant or bulldoze conversations and that's dumb and I'm sorry and I'll stop that.

I can't un-hook myself from loving games and raving about them, but maybe it's time I just let games speak for themselves. I dunno, I'm having a full breakdown of conscience and ability and finances and maybe this is wrong for what I do but I. LOVE. GAMES. It makes me the worst critic, but if you like something, I will sure as poo poo tell you with the happiest confidence that if you like something, I can tell you something else you might like.

I guess games critics are basically video store clerks. Some of us have just gotten lucky enough to get to write about it.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 22, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The GIG posted:

I for one embrace the fight against the tyranny of floors.
Embrace the cold darkness of the bottomless pit where the floor would otherwise be.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah weren't a lot of the levels just a long continuous wallrun and if you gently caress it up you die? Sounds cool but isn't fun to play!
Eventually there aren't really walls either, just a string of airborne enemies that you have to teleport-slash between to keep from falling.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Eventually there aren't really walls either, just a string of airborne enemies that you have to teleport-slash between to keep from falling.

Call me easily impressed but I found that really fun in Nightshade.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
SamBishop, don't you ever dare apologise for being you. You are one of this site's best posters, and the fact that you can wax lyrical and at great length about games you love (and sometimes hate) is what makes your posts worth reading. They are interesting, they have content, and you write from the heart. If any fucker has a problem with that then it's them that has the issues, not you.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Mae posted:

If anyone's willing to help me get the Squad multiplayer trophy for Killzone 3, add me on PSN: MaeusB. We could be best friends.

Funny that you bring this up because a 2x xp weekend for Killzone 3 is coming up, in celebration of Killzone mercs being announced on vita.

I'll add you, and if I get some down time on uc3 this weekend I can hop on to help. It'd be pretty cool to get a small lljk revival for the weekend going.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 22, 2012

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Well, it looks like Sony Studio Liverpool has finally been shut down :( It underwent restructuring back in 2010 which lead some of us to think they'd been closed, but they then went on to develop and release Wipeout 2048 for the Vita. However, the lead audio designer has just posted on Twitter "End of an era today for Studio Liverpool. Honoured to have been a part of it." following rumours that they had finally been shut down today.

Why couldn't Sony have closed a studio that made bad games instead :( It's also quite disappointing since I'd argue that Sony Liverpool were one of few development studios that really knew how to do wonderful things with the PS3's tricky architecture. Their PS3 launch game, Formula One Championship Edition and Wipeout HD are easily some of the most technically impressive games on the console, and I really think that besides the tragic death of the Wipeout franchise, it sucks that Sony are letting a very talented team go.

MUFFlNS fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 22, 2012

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

SamBishop posted:

I can't un-hook myself from loving games and raving about them, but maybe it's time I just let games speak for themselves.
That's silly. Don't stop being awesome. Your enthusiasm counters the cynicism that pervades this forum, and while it's not that hard to find someone willing to proselytize any given game, few do it with such articulation. Speaking of which

Gungrave Overdose hit PSN last night, and it has a character named Rocketbilly Redcadillac. If that doesn't sound awesome to you, you just might hate fun.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Fyi, for the Sound Shapes people, the top rated community levels section has a new algorithm.

And it's good.

Also, Outland is fun.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

There's been a lot of GTAV screens getting released lately, and its looking drat good. :allears:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/22/enjoy-some-more-grand-theft-auto-5-screens/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

There's been a lot of GTAV screens getting released lately, and its looking drat good. :allears:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/22/enjoy-some-more-grand-theft-auto-5-screens/

GTAV is going to be fantastic :allears:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

There is no god :cry:

quote:

Sony Liverpool was working on two PlayStation 4 launch titles, Eurogamer has been told by a reliable source.

One of these was, unsurprisingly, a WipEout game described to us as "dramatically different" than previous games in the series. Another was a Splinter Cell-style game.

A source described the WipEout game as "far along". It had been in development for between 12 and 18 months.

A separate source told Eurogamer that the other game began life as a gangster style experience before it evolved into something akin to Splinter Cell. We've also heard that it used motion capture tech similar to that used by Team Bondi for LA Noire, but it was "a bit ahead of it".

All Sony Liverpool projects were cancelled by Sony this morning.

Source

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Skeezy posted:

GTAV is going to be fantastic :allears:

After SR3, I can't see myself going back.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

zenintrude posted:

I really tried to like SR3 but I couldn't really get into it. I'm enjoying Sleeping Dogs more than I ever did SR3.

Masochism
Aug 28, 2004

Stoned, Ripped, Twisted...Good People.
For the PS+ folks, when you DL Dust 514 beta once you start the game you'll be greeted with another 2+gigs to be downloaded...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, there was oddly expensive stuff in the store this week. Why is Jojo $20? Why do they think anyone would pay that for an obscure game that wasn't that popular to begin with? Legasista also looks interesting (though it looks anime as gently caress even for a NIS game) but not really $30 interesting.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Parkingtigers posted:

SamBishop, don't you ever dare apologise for being you.

Seconded!

Sam you're the man! I just happen to be disappointed with Dust 514.

I picked it up again last night, patched it, and noted they'd made some progress but that it still fundamentally felt "hollow".

If they manage something decent it will be like the accomplishment of the decade. I hope they do.

But I doubt they'll manage to.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Turn SR3 into a fully fledged Saints Row game with far more side content, and I'll be there right with you. Until then it's Sleeping Dogs all the way.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Man, there was oddly expensive stuff in the store this week. Why is Jojo $20? Why do they think anyone would pay that for an obscure game that wasn't that popular to begin with? Legasista also looks interesting (though it looks anime as gently caress even for a NIS game) but not really $30 interesting.

Jojo's is $20 because they figured "The only people who are gonna buy this niche thing will buy it for $20"

Legasista is an HD version of the Cladun games, Cladun X2 just came out on Steam for $20.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

On the subject of Dust 514, it did feel pretty rough in the last beta event I played, but I also spent an entire match as anti-infantry co-gunner for a single tank, and it was a blast. When you're rolling with a player or two that understands that they're meant to be keeping themselves and their hardware protected for as long as possible, it really becomes something quite different from the usual shooter where nobody minds losing a vehicle three seconds after calling it in.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Definitely start with 1, then 2, then 3.

You'd basically start in the middle of the characters relationships if you skip the first one.

BlindNinja posted:

The subtitle of this thread should be, "Play the Uncharted games in sequential order."

zenintrude posted:

Sequential order is preferred... 1 has a really fun story and great environments even though the gameplay is a little bit clunky. Best to play it first before you get used to the more natural control of the sequels.

I wasn't talking about not playing them sequentially, like that other dude started playing 3 before 2 for whatever reason, I should have been more clear. My question was, is 1 even worth playing.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

eightysixed posted:

I wasn't talking about not playing them sequentially, like that other dude started playing 3 before 2 for whatever reason, I should have been more clear. My question was, is 1 even worth playing.

I thought it was implied, but I don't think you should skip 1.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If you had $50 to spend on any PS3 games in the PSN, what would you choose?

I've played Battlefield 1943 more than any other PS3 game I own. Flying those planes rules.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Would someone with Darksiders 2(who has started the game at least) add me to their friends list so I can get a trophy for sending them a gift? PSN is Cbouncer

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Sad that Studio Liverpool are gone :(

They were great developers and best of luck to them finding jobs in other companies, I did hear that Sony may put them into their other branches like Evolution (Which spun off from Studio Liverpool and Psygnoisis in the first place) but when poo poo like Wonderbook is going ahead I get confused. Why cancel far along development cycles when the team has proven to be capable enough to get games out on time?

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

MUFFlNS posted:

There is no god :cry:

Source

Oh gently caress me. Wipeout is one of the greatest series of all time and Psygnosis is resposible for a lot of my childhood memories. Fuuuuuuck.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Every time Uncharted is mentioned and someone says how good the story is (mainly with the first one), I have to stop reading and do a double take. I mean, really? What's so good about a run of the mill action movie plot? Sure, I think the dialogue is good and fun, but that doesn't make a good story.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Krad posted:

Every time Uncharted is mentioned and someone says how good the story is (mainly with the first one), I have to stop reading and do a double take. I mean, really? What's so good about a run of the mill action movie plot? Sure, I think the dialogue is good and fun, but that doesn't make a good story.

I think that's what they mean. None of the Uncharted games really have a great story but the writing and characters are phenomenal and getting to know the characters in uncharted 1 makes Uncharted 2 more satisfying.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
In fact that's exactly what they were saying. That it's a good game, not a good story.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Then why not skip 1? 2 is bounds and leaps better than the first one, and considering there's zero character development in the game, the only thing you'll miss is going "heeeey, Sully, good to see ya!" whenever he shows up. :confused:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's still a good game. It's fun to play. It sets up the universe and the characters.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Except that there is character development in 1, it's a fun game (just because 2 is better, doesn't make 1 poo poo), and enhances the story in the sequels.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Krad posted:

Then why not skip 1? 2 is bounds and leaps better than the first one, and considering there's zero character development in the game, the only thing you'll miss is going "heeeey, Sully, good to see ya!" whenever he shows up. :confused:

Just because one game is better than another doesn't mean the lesser one isn't worth playing. Uncharted 1 is like of firsts in movie franchises in that it's clunky but it sets up the characters and the setting. This makes it so in the next one they can use this character and setting to the fullest, but it also means that without the first one you you won't be getting quite as much out of it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Uncharted 1 isn't even all that clunky, it's perfectly playable and plenty of fun even this many years after release. The only way in which it's "clunky" is that Uncharted 2 has an extra layer of polish so playing them out of order makes it seem older than it is.

BlindNinja posted:

The subtitle of this thread should be, "Play the Uncharted games in sequential order."

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Temascos posted:

I did hear that Sony may put them into their other branches like Evolution (Which spun off from Studio Liverpool and Psygnoisis in the first place) but when poo poo like Wonderbook is going ahead I get confused. Why cancel far along development cycles when the team has proven to be capable enough to get games out on time?

Vis a vis a Studio Liverpool title vs Wonderbook, believe me when I say noone knows the answer to that question.

(and no, the answer is not JKR, for so many goddamn reasons)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Krad posted:

Because the appeal of the characters in 2 is rooted in already KNOWING them from 1. It's true that story isn't dependent on you seeing 1 (aside from some developments in characters...)

It's like Indiana Jones movies didn't have THAT amazing a plot. But you just fall in love with the characters. If you watch the second one cold, you're like "hey this is good stuff!" but if you watch the second one after the first one, you're like "YEAH, WHAT'S UP, INDIE! OH poo poo SHORT ROUND IS BACK TOO! YEAHHH! HEY! YEAHHH!"

It lends a familiarity that further sells the connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Feenix posted:

Because the appeal of the characters in 2 is rooted in already KNOWING them from 1. It's true that story isn't dependent on you seeing 1 (aside from some developments in characters...)

It's like Indiana Jones movies didn't have THAT amazing a plot. But you just fall in love with the characters. If you watch the second one cold, you're like "hey this is good stuff!" but if you watch the second one after the first one, you're like "YEAH, WHAT'S UP, INDIE! OH poo poo SHORT ROUND IS BACK TOO! YEAHHH! HEY! YEAHHH!"

It lends a familiarity that further sells the connection.

Temple of Doom is a prequel. :goonsay: Still, it's best if you know that Indiana Jones is a professor and archaelogist so that's why he knows all this stuff about Thuggees and Kali cults.

Similarly, the opening sequence of Uncharted 2 works better if you've already played a game as Drake, and he's not just some dude bleeding out in a train car dangling over an abyss.

• Locked thread