Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
so my homie kydd dropped his new album a month ago and it just recently got a write up in mishka. yall should check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Anderron Shi posted:

I love how Cam-focused this thread always is. He dropped anything new in the past month?

He's on the new Busta Rhymes album v:shobon:v

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Slaughterhouse leaked. It's bad.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

doctor thodt posted:

Slaughterhouse leaked. It's bad.

Agreeing with this post

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Yeah it's pretty bad. I kinda like that song with Busta though.

The beats are the worst part of the album. Its disgustingly overproduced.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

youngallah posted:

so my homie kydd dropped his new album a month ago and it just recently got a write up in mishka. yall should check it out

this is dope, big ups to this dude

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

youngallah posted:

whoa wtf this is tight i bought the LP for :5bux:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Big Sean is releasing a mixtape September 5, the day after Cruel Summer comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bctk-2UA_7w&hd=1

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

This is the best Wayne verse in a while
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg5wp5x3ZiA

edit: It's old, but I didn't notice it till Bangladesh put it on his facebook today.

NeuroticErotica fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 23, 2012

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
"I take strong exception to the words 'I don't like New York,'" responding to Wayne's recent revelation about his feelings for the city. The Senator, who described himself as "angry," "taken aback," and "shocked" at Wayne's words, held a news conference in Father Duffy Square to demand an apology, according to the New York Times.
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.20886/title.new-york-senator-demands-apology-from-lil-wayne-for-i-dont-like-new-york-comment

What a joke

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Anyone hip to this guy? I've been listening to him a lot in the past 2-3 months. This album is key, his other ones aren't as good, imo. But he's a Jewish white dude from NYC who can rip it.

Get this album, I recommend track number 7, "Excuse You".

Coal
Jan 15, 2008
I overcompensate for my tiny penis by stealing games worth less than a cheeseburger on a phone worth 400 cheeseburgers.

Anderron Shi posted:

But he's a Jewish white dude from NYC who can rip it.

So basically... he's a Beastie Boy?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Coal posted:

So basically... he's a Beastie Boy?

Negative, ghostrider. He's on some next-level poo poo.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Next level *poo poo*

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Anderron Shi posted:

Anyone hip to this guy? I've been listening to him a lot in the past 2-3 months. This album is key, his other ones aren't as good, imo. But he's a Jewish white dude from NYC who can rip it.

Get this album, I recommend track number 7, "Excuse You".

His first EP "It's Very Stimulating" was far better (mainly because it had Prince Paul production). But I don't know if you'll find many dudes like him now, because anyone who would've sounded like him either became a joke nerdcore artist or became a frat-rapper who takes themselves much too seriously.

They don't even pretend to rap anymore but I'd seriously recommend WHY? out of Anticon for something with a similar tone (alopecia and elephant eyelash, specifically).

You may also like donglover but that dude takes himself way too loving seriously and his albums suffer a lot for it (also he's pretty much a Wayne ripoff in terms of style).

Of course you may not have actually wanted recommendations for similar stuff which is cool too but I know there's at least 5 people here who would know about Barman and I'm probably the one who likes him the most of them.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

alansmithee posted:

His first EP "It's Very Stimulating" was far better (mainly because it had Prince Paul production). But I don't know if you'll find many dudes like him now, because anyone who would've sounded like him either became a joke nerdcore artist or became a frat-rapper who takes themselves much too seriously.

They don't even pretend to rap anymore but I'd seriously recommend WHY? out of Anticon for something with a similar tone (alopecia and elephant eyelash, specifically).

You may also like donglover but that dude takes himself way too loving seriously and his albums suffer a lot for it (also he's pretty much a Wayne ripoff in terms of style).

Of course you may not have actually wanted recommendations for similar stuff which is cool too but I know there's at least 5 people here who would know about Barman and I'm probably the one who likes him the most of them.

That's why I like Barman, he doesn't take himself serious. He seems to ride the lines of genres, going from nerdcore to borderline sexcore, on some Kool Keith poo poo at times. Like the track(s?) with Princess Superstar for example. He has some good poo poo going on in a lot of his tracks.

Yeah, my buddy who introduced me to Paul's music has mentioned Anticon more than a handful of times, I just never got a chance to check it out.

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug
I'm not a big DJ Khaled fan but "They Ready" with J Cole, BIG KRIT, and Kendrick Lamar is hot fire.

http://soundcloud.com/the_motiv/dj-khaled-they-ready-ifwt

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Anderron Shi posted:

But he's a Jewish white dude from NYC who can rip it.

I don't mean this as an insult to your taste or anything but do you think white rappers get a bit of a pass because they're white? I don't necessarily mean that guy I listened to a couple songs and he's alright, but most are pretty lovely.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

I don't mean this as an insult to your taste or anything but do you think white rappers get a bit of a pass because they're white? I don't necessarily mean that guy I listened to a couple songs and he's alright, but most are pretty lovely.

Dude, that post makes no sense. I mean, yeah, you've been a member of SA longer than I, but I can't let that one slide.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Robert Analog posted:

I would argue that this is actually the complete opposite. I think there are far more famous, lovely black rappers than white rappers. If you aren't doing something REALLY right when you're a white rapper, your career never had a chance. You either need next level beats, next level flow (Shady and Yela), or next level marketing (Mac Miller). Otherwise you're hosed.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

phractured posted:

I would argue that this is actually the complete opposite. I think there are far more famous, lovely black rappers than white rappers. If you aren't doing something REALLY right when you're a white rapper, your career never had a chance. You either need next level beats, next level flow (Shady and Yela), or next level marketing (Mac Miller). Otherwise you're hosed.

If Yela wasn't white and from the south he wouldn't be anything. Dude's not horrible, but he's way more hyped than he should be. Hell, Roach Gigz is better than him easily, but doesn't get near the attention. What I'm saying is, his flows are hardly next level.

Also there's probably way more known lovely black rappers than white rappers by just raw numbers, but I'd say by ratio there's more white rappers that suck when you take into account how few there are relatively.

Anderron Shi posted:

That's why I like Barman, he doesn't take himself serious. He seems to ride the lines of genres, going from nerdcore to borderline sexcore, on some Kool Keith poo poo at times. Like the track(s?) with Princess Superstar for example. He has some good poo poo going on in a lot of his tracks.

Yeah, my buddy who introduced me to Paul's music has mentioned Anticon more than a handful of times, I just never got a chance to check it out.

Yeah there are a couple things on Anticon that are similar maybe but those dudes take themselves super-serious (or at least they used to when I listened to stuff the label put out frequently). Serengeti's album "Noodle Arm Whimsy" might be somthing else you'd like-he's on Anticon now but also makes super-serious music that isn't really good now (noodle arm wasn't on anticon).

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Anderron Shi posted:

Dude, that post makes no sense. I mean, yeah, you've been a member of SA longer than I, but I can't let that one slide.

Regdate doesn't matter I'm not a great poster regardless, I'm just saying you pointed out he's white and Jewish, does that make him more impressive because of that? Anyway Alan said it better with...

alansmithee posted:

Also there's probably way more known lovely black rappers than white rappers by just raw numbers, but I'd say by ratio there's more white rappers that suck when you take into account how few there are relatively.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

I'm just saying you pointed out he's white and Jewish, does that make him more impressive because of that?

I was simply explaining his background, racial though it may be.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Haven't been in here in a while; was hoping to find a cool song link or a new artist, nice embarrassing racial conversation though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

Redkist posted:

Haven't been in here in a while; was hoping to find a cool song link or a new artist, nice embarrassing racial conversation though.

snyprmag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q4bYvgyLb0

Gunplay is loving crazy (or good at acting like it) and is still the most interesting thing out of MMG.
The song starts at 1:50 if you don't want to see all of his antics.
Fair amount of drug use in the video if you are somewhere that might get you in trouble.

There you go.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

alansmithee posted:

If Yela wasn't white and from the south he wouldn't be anything. Dude's not horrible, but he's way more hyped than he should be. Hell, Roach Gigz is better than him easily, but doesn't get near the attention. What I'm saying is, his flows are hardly next level.

Yeah but my point is if the rapper is white and lovely, they won't even become a big name because they are white. Meanwhile, if a rapper is black and lovely, they have a chance of becoming famous based on a ton of white people treating them like borderline-minstrels. If you are white and absolutely suck you aren't going to get any exposure unless you're doing something really right. Take Riff Raff as the perfect example.

As for Yelawolf, he clearly has skill, and I do believe his flow is next level. He's not doing ABAB, AA,BB, or anything that I could even type out as a pattern of letter. The way he spits (for the most part, and I say this because, like many rappers these days, the sheer volume his work makes for quite a few lovely tracks) is unlike any other rapper in the game today. His verses are tactful and original and often times tell a story (a skill that 70% of rappers these days no longer have). You can say what you want about how his race and region made him big, but I don't think being white has been a positive thing for someone's rap career in ages. White people even don't like white rappers for the most part.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Dope swastika tattoo, speaking of which.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Since I know this miserable topic of white rappers is going to get stretched out and since we're on the tangent of Yelawolf, I thought I'd post this song which features three (3!) white rappers from the South who fall into that whole canon of guys with interesting flows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHmhZiRk3SU
"Far From a Bitch" Yelawolf ft. Rittz, Struggle & Big HUD

I could really care less if someone is getting attention because of things like race or some gimmick, so long as the guys have talent. Rittz is one of the most incredible rappers out right now and he happens to look like a giant awkward redheaded weirdo and it doesn't matter to me one bit his skin color (so long as that orange hair just POPS)

epitasis posted:

Dope swastika tattoo, speaking of which.

http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/07/26/gunplay-justifies-swastika-tattoo-nazi-references/ posted:

Maybach Music Group rapper Gunplay is opening up about the swastika tattoo on the back of his neck. When asked about the controversial ink, he told Pigeons and Planes, "Yeah, it痴 just my symbol of genocide to the bulls---. Mass murdering the bullsh--. Too much bullsh-- out here. I came to Nazi that sh--. I came to Hitler that motherf----r."

He didn't mince any words, continuing: "Put all the fake motherf----s in the gas chamber and gas your f--- rear end. That痴 what I知 here to do. So n---s better walk light around a n---a. I知a show n----. I can talk but I知a show n----s. All that fake sh--, I知a call that sh-- out and I知a stomp that poo poo out. I got a mission. Just playing the game for the meantime."

Diodeous fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 23, 2012

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

This is dumb.

We all know Krispy Kreme is the best rapper of all time.

2012 to infinity.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

bunch of good music videos coming out this week (all with white people!)

Whole lot of Texas (and so many wire spokes!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5UV2G2L1tE

Killer Mike posing like a bunch of paintings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNsAfGDkUtk

And this new Aesop Rock video reminds me of Runaway, the movie not the song, and I always thought the piano part at the end of this was similar to Blame Game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=478qwzcJtlM

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Diodeous posted:

features three (3!) white rappers from the South who fall into that whole canon of guys with interesting flows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q4bYvgyLb0
"Far From a Bitch" Yelawolf ft. Rittz, Struggle & Big HUD

Wrong link?

Edit: That Gunplay dude isn't all that bad tho.

A Concrete Divider fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 23, 2012

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Redkist posted:

Hey dude, appreciate your contribution! Sorry if we're discussing stuff and not working as your personal new music blog, we'll make sure and step up the efforts! In the meantime, have you thought of checking out 2dopeboys.com??? They might have what you're looking for!

phractured posted:

Yeah but my point is if the rapper is white and lovely, they won't even become a big name because they are white. Meanwhile, if a rapper is black and lovely, they have a chance of becoming famous based on a ton of white people treating them like borderline-minstrels. If you are white and absolutely suck you aren't going to get any exposure unless you're doing something really right. Take Riff Raff as the perfect example.

As for Yelawolf, he clearly has skill, and I do believe his flow is next level. He's not doing ABAB, AA,BB, or anything that I could even type out as a pattern of letter. The way he spits (for the most part, and I say this because, like many rappers these days, the sheer volume his work makes for quite a few lovely tracks) is unlike any other rapper in the game today. His verses are tactful and original and often times tell a story (a skill that 70% of rappers these days no longer have). You can say what you want about how his race and region made him big, but I don't think being white has been a positive thing for someone's rap career in ages. White people even don't like white rappers for the most part.

I think you're underrating the "lovely white dude" demographic. You mentioned two yourself (Mac Miller and Riff Raff) who are def getting a big boost by being white, but there's a bunch. And that's also ignoring all the cutesy-white-girl "thug" rappers who've started popping up. There's definitely a minstrel-like vibe to how a lot of black dudes get "listened to" by certain elements, but there's also a lot of white people who just love buying music by dudes who look like them. Hell, even Eminem (who was legit ridiculously good) had a lot of shine from being white.

As for Yelawolf, I won't go into it much but imo his whole "flow" is roughly just hillbilly stacatto. Like, he's not that much better than dudes like Crucial Conflict or w/e. Not saying he's bad at all (although I've never really been much into him) but I don't see anything that new or amazing, either. Although this is really tangential to the main debate and more a taste thing.

Also Gunplay always shouting out "Don ADOLF Logan" and stuff in his songs and mentions his swastika tat in his stuff, so it's not anything he really runs from. That quote is wild though, and really how can you not like anyone with that attitude? I'm almost wondering if stuff like that though isn't why MMG isn't promoting him more. Like, he's had "features" on both the self-made albums but wasn't actually included in the MMG group shots and stuff like that. Not that they don't put his stuff up and he's obviously on the label, but they could give him the Wale push or something (although maybe when his actual album comes out he'll get it?).

Still think it was funny in the pitchfork review they said they the reason he's kept away is because they're "afraid what he might do to a gentle soul like Stalley".

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Hey dude, appreciate your contribution! Sorry if we're discussing stuff and not working as your personal new music blog, we'll make sure and step up the efforts! In the meantime, have you thought of checking out 2dopeboys.com??? They might have what you're looking for!

Haha, way to represent.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Best Barman track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-TwhJCTkHQ

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

alansmithee posted:

I think you're underrating the "lovely white dude" demographic. You mentioned two yourself (Mac Miller and Riff Raff) who are def getting a big boost by being white, but there's a bunch. And that's also ignoring all the cutesy-white-girl "thug" rappers who've started popping up. There's definitely a minstrel-like vibe to how a lot of black dudes get "listened to" by certain elements, but there's also a lot of white people who just love buying music by dudes who look like them. Hell, even Eminem (who was legit ridiculously good) had a lot of shine from being white.

As for Yelawolf, I won't go into it much but imo his whole "flow" is roughly just hillbilly stacatto. Like, he's not that much better than dudes like Crucial Conflict or w/e. Not saying he's bad at all (although I've never really been much into him) but I don't see anything that new or amazing, either. Although this is really tangential to the main debate and more a taste thing.

Also Gunplay always shouting out "Don ADOLF Logan" and stuff in his songs and mentions his swastika tat in his stuff, so it's not anything he really runs from. That quote is wild though, and really how can you not like anyone with that attitude? I'm almost wondering if stuff like that though isn't why MMG isn't promoting him more. Like, he's had "features" on both the self-made albums but wasn't actually included in the MMG group shots and stuff like that. Not that they don't put his stuff up and he's obviously on the label, but they could give him the Wale push or something (although maybe when his actual album comes out he'll get it?).

Still think it was funny in the pitchfork review they said they the reason he's kept away is because they're "afraid what he might do to a gentle soul like Stalley".

I'm not even going to touch on white girl rappers because, unless they are doing electric music, they suck for the most part. I really don't think Mac Miller being white is what made him so popular either. Mac Miller climbed the ladder by hopping on the Wiz train to make weed and party rap. The content is the same poo poo at Wiz's stuff and one of them is black and the other is white. I think it's just a really dumb argument to say that being white is advantageous for becoming a successful rapper because if you look at the scoreboard, black rappers win out all day long. If a white guy was making Trap music all day everyone would just laugh at his honkey rear end, and even if he did manage to sell enough records from his early stuff, by the time that white guy has money, his fan base is just going to see him as another rich white dude. Meanwhile, black rappers, some who are making a lucrative living thanks to big labels, can forever rap about selling drugs and guns in the present tense well after they have been out of the drug game for years.
If you're a black rapper, there is a still good chance you can get signed spewing the same old flows and same old rhymes (or lack their of; I'm looking at you Chief Keef). If you're a white rapper, being white is going to set you back because everyone already expects you to suck. I just really think it's preposterous to believe that being white is an advantage when over half the time everyone just thinks a new white rapper is going to be some Backpacker emo bullshit.
That's my final argument because we obviously won't see eye to eye and it's the internet so who cares.

In other news, Top Dawg Ent has just been pouring out great tracks. Ab-Soul released a track called "Nibiru." This track has been on constant replay for me. Kendrick Lamar has also been getting around, finding himself featured on tracks with Young Jeezy and DJ Khaled. Also Jay Rock (not to be confused with J Rocc of Stone's Throw) released a track called Yola. and ScHoolboy Q released a track called "Party." All quality tracks.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Holy gently caress Doom rips it there.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm not a big rap fan, but lately I've discovered Jurassic 5 and fell completely in love over them. I mean, holy gently caress, they are so good. I especially enjoy how musicky - for lack of a better word - their songs are.

Also, Chali 2na has the sexiest voice. :allears:

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery

snyprmag posted:

Whole lot of Texas (and so many wire spokes!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5UV2G2L1tE

Elbows on a drat bicycle. huh.

Speaking of Houston, there was a conference on Screw at the UH Libraries, who have his personal archives. Videos went up, but I didn't post when they went up.

Vid starring my man Matt Sonzala, a panel about the legacy of Screw with Bun B, Ron C, Paul Wall, and Chingo Bling:
http://youtu.be/I8h8cNVby8c

There are more videos on the early history, the SUC, and slab culture that you can find in the channel. This is real poo poo with dudes like Steve Fournier and old school Houston like Wicked Crickett. Crazy day. I got to meet Mama C and HAWKs widow.

The Rising Suun fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 24, 2012

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm not a big rap fan, but lately I've discovered Jurassic 5 and fell completely in love over them. I mean, holy gently caress, they are so good. I especially enjoy how musicky - for lack of a better word - their songs are.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

alansmithee posted:

unless you dive into the world of international rappers, and we can use Canada as a simple starting point, then you'd see there's actually tons of white rappers.

Lichtenstein posted:

lol. i hope you realize they broke up years ago. "musicky" isn't a word. "melodic" is, though. you'd probably like the Quannum - Spectrum album then.
http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Quannum/dp/B00000JMIV
It reminds me of that 1999 era when I thought Jurassic 5 was entertaining.

Also, I'll have to check that Houston SUC history video out. Matt is dope. Weren't Fat Pat and HAWK brothers?

on a somewhat unrelated note, if you watch the Ice-T film "Art Of Rap", they do a R.I.P. section in the credits shouting out all dead rappers, and they name "Big Hawk" and "H.A.W.K." as two different rappers.

cardedagain fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 24, 2012

• Locked thread