Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I've been waiting to play this on the PC since I saw the reviews of the console versions. I just got my key from GMG, gotta wait till midnight.

So I have few questions:
- how does the game hold up in terms of replayability?
- is there any missable content/alternate paths?
- is there a new game+?
- is this "naked guy with a club" class (I've been reading the manual) basically a DS version of the tourist from Nethack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Terminally Bored posted:

I've been waiting to play this on the PC since I saw the reviews of the console versions. I just got my key from GMG, gotta wait till midnight.

So I have few questions:
- is there a new game+?
- is this "naked guy with a club" class (I've been reading the manual) basically a DS version of the tourist from Nethack?
- no one ever finishes the game just once
- oh god yes
- oh god yes
- dunno about nethack but your starting class is not so important in the long run

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Terminally Bored posted:

So I have few questions:
- is there a new game+?

It's very replayable, with lots of different builds to try and gimmick methodds.
You will almost certainly miss a great deal on your first playthrough.
There are infinite NG+s, but they stop getting harder on NG+7
The classes only matter in the very beginning, after a few hours in it's all about how you built.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Terminally Bored posted:

So I have few questions:
- is there a new game+?

-It has a vast amount of replayability.
-There are lots of secrets and hidden stuff but nothing is permanently missable due to the nature of NG+.
-There is NG+
-Starting classes don't really matter that much in DS, but it does start with no equipment and very spread out stats so you could say that its kind of the challenge class.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Terminally Bored posted:

So I have few questions:
- is there a new game+?

In order:
1.) Fantastically. This is an incredibly replayable game because it encourages so many different playstyles, and gimmick runs are tons of fun.
2.) Only eight out of the twenty-two (twenty-six with the new content.) bosses are mandatory. You can conceivably beat the entire game without knowing two of them even exist. There's one thing and everything associated with it that's permanently missable, because it wants you to do a thing early. As for alternate paths: tons. This is built like a metroidvania-style game where while there is a linear progression, you can take a bunch of different ways to get there, all dependent on your skill level.
3.) An extremely robust NG+ system! You keep everything except keys and key items from the previous run and everything gets stronger. This keeps happening until NG+7.
4.) Pretty much.

boxinglemur
Mar 28, 2007
THIS IS MADNESS
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41330816&postcount=686

So uh, some dude just fixed the internal resolution lock.

edit: Maybe, probably not. News at 11.

boxinglemur fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 23, 2012

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

iuvian posted:

Man I was expecting it to look bad, but this is actually worse than I could have ever imagined. This might actually be the worst port since Resident Evil 4, where they forgot to include the lighting engine. Can't believe they want $40 for this poo poo.

The PS3 version is below $40, so you can just toddle off and buy that instead then.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

woop woop!

e;fb :argh:

ee: are you guys loving blind

Nebelwerfer fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 23, 2012

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

boxinglemur posted:

Yeah, really easy to tell the art wasn't designed for higher resolution, can't say it looks better.

Edit: eh, one screenshot of a side shot isn't a good basis for a judgement.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Lazy Programming posted:

Yeah, really easy to tell the art wasn't designed for higher resolution, can't say it looks better.

100% agree here. That doesn't look any better at all.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The art might not look better, but I'd imagine the actual geometry will look much nicer in native resolution than if it were stretched.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

boxinglemur posted:

Is the internal renderer really at that res? Looks like it was upscaled to me. No AA would look much more jagged, and the smoothing looks uneven as though it was on a different res.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Are people playing with :files: copies or is there some VPN fuckery going on already?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Stele007 posted:

Is the internal renderer really at that res? Looks like it was upscaled to me. No AA would look much more jagged, and the smoothing looks uneven as though it was on a different res.

That's with AA off.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

dreffen posted:

Are people playing with :files: copies or is there some VPN fuckery going on already?
Anything prior to midnight UTC is :filez:.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

gibbed posted:

Anything prior to midnight UTC is :filez:.

Thats what I was figuring but wanted to be a little hopeful that maybe it wasn't. Only chance I'm going to get is playing this at work or on a friends machine!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So like, is anyone gonna post how to change the resolution? If its done that quickly I can't imagine its very complicated.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

voltron lion force posted:

So like, is anyone gonna post how to change the resolution? If its done that quickly I can't imagine its very complicated.

I think the dude just posted to haggle the glory himself and will post detailed how-to later on. :kiddo:

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Orv
May 4, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

The guy said he'd post the instructions when it's in a release state. Whatever the hell that means in this case.

e;fb

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Nebelwerfer posted:

I think the dude just posted to haggle the glory himself and will post detailed how-to later on. :kiddo:

loving neogaf...

Belan
May 7, 2007

Meowjesty posted:

100% agree here. That doesn't look any better at all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41331991&postcount=807

Walls aren't as blurry, I'd say that counts as better.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I absolutely loved Demon's Souls and pre ordered this almost as soon as it went up. I played a faith warrior in Demon's and plan on doing something similar here. It's the perfect kind of game and setting for a paladin style character even if that's not usually your thing like me.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Also I absolutely love how people are bitching over $40, when it's actually $70 elsewhere thanks to Steam's lovingly necessary regional pricing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gazaar posted:

I absolutely loved Demon's Souls and pre ordered this almost as soon as it went up. I played a faith warrior in Demon's and plan on doing something similar here. It's the perfect kind of game and setting for a paladin style character even if that's not usually your thing like me.

Paladin might be the defacto strongest build in the game as it gives you access to both powerful ranged magics, additional albeit very slow heals, and two different blessings that increase weapon damage dramatically.

Plus you gain a golden color and worship the sun as you vanquish foes in other players dimensions.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

VarXX posted:

That's with AA off.

I think that's what he's saying. If you look at the aliasing along the edge of the character model you can see that the "pixels" look pretty huge, which wouldn't be the case if it was actually rendering at a higher resolution.

Edit- I could be wrong, though, it's honestly hard to tell from just one screenshot.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

This is a better shot, it shows how the game isn't a blurry mess of smeared poo poo anymore http://i.imgur.com/iZHN3.jpg

He hasn't posted how it done though, it might be too early to get excited.

Megalixir posted:

The PS3 version is below $40, so you can just toddle off and buy that instead then.

lol :jerkbag: do not dare insult my precious Japanese gameugu

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Nebelwerfer posted:

woop woop!

e;fb :argh:

ee: are you guys loving blind

oh my god :hawaaaafap:

If anyone says this doesn't look better I don't know what the gently caress to say to them

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I dunno if there's anything you can do to make the game look good close-up. Even if I get it on the PC I'll still be playing it on my TV from the sofa.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno if there's anything you can do to make the game look good close-up. Even if I get it on the PC I'll still be playing it on my TV from the sofa.

I like you man, we should hang out.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

jesus I can't wait to see what the mod community does with this game

by mod community I don't mean hex editor PvP shitlords

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SixtySix posted:

I'm definitely still worried about this. I don't care about PvP so much but I don't want unkillable wallhackers invading my game every single time I unhollow myself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm definitely still worried about this. I don't care about PvP so much but I don't want unkillable wallhackers invading my game every single time I unhollow myself.

When you unhollow? Oh no, I don't think the hackers will stop with that.

Hopefully they'll mostly be content to fight each other in the new Free for All PVP mode and build their own fighting game community.

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

SixtySix posted:

Hopefully they can do something about that, considering they're adding that PvP arena, but I doubt it.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

SixtySix posted:

oh my god :hawaaaafap:

If anyone says this doesn't look better I don't know what the gently caress to say to them

This looks way, way, WAY better. I thought that it will take a lot more time to fix the resolution than -5 hours.

So I'm probably buying this now.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Barudak posted:

Paladin might be the defacto strongest build in the game as it gives you access to both powerful ranged magics, additional albeit very slow heals, and two different blessings that increase weapon damage dramatically.

Plus you gain a golden color and worship the sun as you vanquish foes in other players dimensions.

That's pretty much how I pictured myself in Demon's so right up my alley.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Barudak posted:

Hopefully they'll mostly be content to fight each other in the new Free for All PVP mode and build their own fighting game community.

"The DSFGC is literally the biggest cesspool of poo poo I have ever seen in a community." - Mike Ross after 3 phantoms spammed Well What is It on his corpse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

"The DSFGC is literally the biggest cesspool of poo poo I have ever seen in a community." - Mike Ross after 3 phantoms spammed Well What is It on his corpse.

Don't act like you don't want to see Infiltration hyper mode dragon head fireball Daigo into losers bracket.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

RE: hackers ruining PvP, my hopes are:

1. Most hackers would probably have pirated this thing to begin with and the DRM would prevent them from engaging in MP

2. Hacking in a 1v1 niche game like this might get pretty boring pretty fast, leading them to move on to greener pastures

3. My "I don't give a gently caress, 420 wear silly costumes and spam emotes" attitude towards PvP will prevail

4. I can always go back to consoles when the DLC drops, I guess

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

All I see is some Lanzcos upscaling. He didn't increase the actual video buffer resolution at all.

That said, it will make the game display in larger resolutions, just that the actual resolution isn't actually increased. As was predicted.

If anyone can actually internally increase the resolution of the game and make it as sharp as one would expect on computer monitors I'd give them a massive fistbump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Hey, quick question, Steam isn't allowing the game to be pre-loaded right? Is this because of GFWL?

• Locked thread