Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt Stabbin
Jul 16, 2003

I ride zee boat and take it in zee poopah!
I've been listening to tons of collapse under the empire lately and I just find it getting better and better. This is one of the reasons that I've been listening to post-rock since a friend of mine introduced me to eits a long time ago. The more you listen the better it gets and you always find new interesting things in a song. I always go; hmm this bit wasn't here yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

SgtScruffy posted:

Also I should give a plug for the local band. They make really pretty post rock and they've got a new album so show them love :)

http://theorchid.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-vast-endless-sea
Only about halfway through this but it's incredible, thanks for the recommendation.

To contribute, I've really been digging Finland's Baulta lately. "Black Lodge/White Lodge" and "This Girl Floating Above Us" are personal faves: http://baulta.bandcamp.com/

Phasoms
Jan 27, 2004

<GLOMP>
Bad post-rock isn't nearly as offensive as bad music from other genres. There are a lot of bad post-rock bands, but they're all so unmemorable that I can't pick out any as being particularly awful.

I think my least favorite/most disappointing post-rock album is This Will Destroy You's latest, Tunnel Blanket. It's just bland droning that goes nowhere and it feels like the album has no structure. I really loved their earlier stuff, too.

Also I think the Samuel L. Jackson 5 suck, but I think it's in part because their band name is so monkey cheese.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I really like Tunnel Blanket, especially Glass Realms and Reprise, but I am a fan of some drone/noise. I don't know if I've encountered any bad post rock bands yet but my least favourite is probably Explosions In The Sky or 65daysofstatic (do they even count?).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Could it be that, in order to get anywhere as a post rock band, you have to have at least a certain amount of musical talent, and gel quite well with each other, so of the bands that get any kind of exposure at all, the worst you can say about them is that they're boring, or completely derivative. I'm sure there are shitloads of really, really terrible EITS rip-offs out there, but I can't say I've ever seen any actual bad post rock bands.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, Tunnel Blanket blows. I'm a big fan of ambient music and I even make ambient music myself, but the first time I listened to Tunnel Blanket, my initial reaction was "What the hell is this poo poo?", and as the album went on, I kept getting more and more bored with it. I've only listened to it all the way through that one time because it was just so dull that I figure why put myself through that again? Young Mountain and the self-titled have a few dull moments here and there, but nothing as bad as what was on Tunnel Blanket and the good parts on those vastly outweigh the mediocre.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Phasoms posted:

I think my least favorite/most disappointing post-rock album is This Will Destroy You's latest, Tunnel Blanket. It's just bland droning that goes nowhere and it feels like the album has no structure. I really loved their earlier stuff, too.

As long as we're doing unpopular opinions, I loving loved Tunnel Blanket but cannot get into their earlier stuff. Maybe I need to listen to it some more but it just sounds... like post-rock. Like, "oh yeah, that's some post-rock."

Bit of a specific one: I really, really like Plains of the Purple Buffalo, but the more I listen to it the more I hate the drums. They sound great, but so much of the album is just the same phrase repeated over and over and loving over and it really drones on once it catches your attention. Bass crash crash bassSNARE crash crash bassbass bassbass bassSNARE crash crash. Or some minor variation of that. I started playing it from the second half onwards just because it annoyed me so much and there's more variety towards the end.

Henry Fungletrumpet fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 24, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

As long as we're doing unpopular opinions, I loving loved Tunnel Blanket but cannot get into their earlier stuff. Maybe I need to listen to it some more but it just sounds... like post-rock. Like, "oh yeah, that's some post-rock."

Bit of a specific one: I really, really like Plains of the Purple Buffalo, but the more I listen to it the more I hate the drums. They sound great, but so much of the album is just the same phrase repeated over and over and loving over and it really drones on once it catches your attention. Bass crash crash bassSNARE crash crash bassbass bassbass bassSNARE crash crash. Or some minor variation of that. I started playing it from the second half onwards just because it annoyed me so much and there's more variety towards the end.

god damnit this post is going to be in my mind next time I listen to it :argh:

Also, I find Young Mountain to be a bit of "safe post-rock". It has some really good stuff (I especially love The World Is Our ___) but on the whole it seems like one of those previously mentioned "try to sound like EitS" things but a little better than most. Their self-titled is incredible though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

david puddy posted:

Also, I find Young Mountain to be a bit of "safe post-rock". It has some really good stuff (I especially love The World Is Our ___) but on the whole it seems like one of those previously mentioned "try to sound like EitS" things but a little better than most.

It even sounds better than a lot of actual EitS stuff :v:

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

As far as the more 'stereotypical' style of post rock goes, TWDY's earlier stuff is probably a more skillfully executed example of it than most, I think.

I love the poo poo out of Tunnel Blanket too, though.

Also, Henry's post reminded me why I couldn't get into Plains of the Purple Buffalo even though I really wanted to.

VVVVVV I'm really curious to see what they're going to come up with next, that's for sure.

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 26, 2012

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

I think TWDY's only now started to make interesting music...

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
I really hated Tunnel Blanket the first time I heard it. I'd already booked tickets to see them but after hearing that album I never even bothered to go. It's grown on me since, especially the first and last tracks, but I think some of their earlier songs like Burial on the Presidio Banks and the Mighty Rio Grande (two of my favourite ever songs) are fairly droney/ambient while still being interesting.

Crawfoot
Oct 21, 2010

Black and Blue
This is Your Captain Speaking have made some pretty blandish Post-Rock, although I do love their band name.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
TWDY never really clicked for me at first - I liked Young Mountain, but if I reached for it on the shelf, I'd see The Earth Is Not.. and grab that instead.

Then I watched this hipsterish video on Vimeo and it all clicked.
https://vimeo.com/23114063

Also, for all the Tunnel Blanket hate, Little Smoke is a kickass track.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

The only TWDY material that hasn't clicked with me yet is Moving On The Edges Of Things. It wasn't bad but I haven't exactly been compelled to give it another spin. I might do that now, see if it is any better.

e: Holy christ I am a moron, I was playing it at the wrong speed so it was just about the droniest thing I've ever heard, it sounds better played at the *proper* speed, but I still don't like it half as much as their other material.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 28, 2012

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Did anyone in here mention downy yet? They're pretty experimental, maybe a bit on the shoegazey side of things, but they should be a decent fit here. I keep coming back to these guys every month or two since I found them and they consistently impress me, they manage to be flexible while having a pretty distinct sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlohe2-MGlg - One of their more straightforward tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBJL30-YTHw - A softer one that builds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMG0SroLr6M - One from their 3rd album which is just loving weird and moody and dissonant in the best way.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
That was pretty intense, especially that last song which tickled my love of dissonance.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Their albums are all titled "Mudai" (which I think means untitled), numbered 1 through 5, 5 being a live album with no new tracks. Unfortunately it seems like most of them are out of print, and the used prices are pretty extortionate, so you may have to resort to unscrupulous methods to find them.

Here's another one off 3rd, this one's really serene yet unsettling somehow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT81oA1tCyg

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Anyone heard of Bossk? Don't know if they're strictly post-rock (post-metal?), but it's close enough for me. I must have seen them a dozen times, they used to play near me all the time and their shows were always pretty intense. Split up a few years ago but apparently they're back together now and are recording their first proper album (after 2 EPs, a live DVD and a split).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTt6uIZ9lWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYEigaLcCOs

massey ferguson
Mar 11, 2012

Phasoms posted:

Bad post-rock isn't nearly as offensive as bad music from other genres. There are a lot of bad post-rock bands, but they're all so unmemorable that I can't pick out any as being particularly awful.

I really disagree with that, post-rock is the same as any other genre, there's good and bad you just have to filter the poo poo out, to say post rock is immune to that is ridiculous. Some of the worst music I've heard is by post rock bands with a sense of self importance and a dd-6.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

massey ferguson posted:

I really disagree with that, post-rock is the same as any other genre, there's good and bad you just have to filter the poo poo out, to say post rock is immune to that is ridiculous. Some of the worst music I've heard is by post rock bands with a sense of self importance and a dd-6.

Could you find an example of really bad post rock? The main thing I'm looking for with this question and line of discussion is examples of when post rock fails completely.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I honestly can't think of anything that is out and out bad. There were some sections on Gifts from Enola's latest album that were pretty bad, in my opinion. A lot of people really hate Pelican's drummer (like to the point where they refuse to listen to it) although he doesn't bother me.

massey ferguson
Mar 11, 2012

I don't take note of bad songs I listen to so there's definitely worse than this out there, but I have the destroyalldreamers album Wish I Was All Flames and the bass playing on it is pretty bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DXTo_AtIPU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
All this talk of Tunnel Blanket: They were my entry point to TWDY and I didn't really like it other than Killed the Lord, Left for the New World, which I think is amazing. I definitely preferred Young Mountain once I'd heard that.

Also I've finally heard YONL's Nord, and it is amazing. I picked up the 2 disc reissue. I haven't ripped the 2nd disc yet, but I can't overstate how good the actual album is. The reissue is really nicely presented as well. Definitely worth the money.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

You gotta be nuts if you don't think Black Dunes is amazing

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles is an eleven or twelve piece band that started in 2008 from what I hear and they've released two albums. They're very much in the long songs school of post rock and the builds are amazingly slow. They remind me of Godspeed if Godspeed decided one day that all of their songs moved far too quickly and abruptly. They also combine the If These Trees Could Talk theory of more guitars=more better and the Godspeed system of using lots of things that aren't guitars, consisting of 5 guitars, bass, drums, violin, cello, piano, bells and a harp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaz-4MfHtOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cswnn_bUo

Oh and it's all available FREE!

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 3, 2012

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So does anyone like the new Circa Survive album here or am I in the wrong thread..?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

an skeleton posted:

So does anyone like the new Circa Survive album here or am I in the wrong thread..?

That's post-hardcore :)

But thank you for letting me know that their new album is out! I listened to the first single they released from it a few weeks ago and really liked it. I'm gonna have a listen to the whole album ASAP.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
So what about the new Swans album, The Seer? I think you can categorize them as post-rock, as well as many other genres too.
I have been listening to it a few days now and it is really good. I was kind of prepared that it would be too exhausting, Swans tend to do that to you, mentally and physically, but it is somewhat "easier" and clearer than some of their other stuff.
Of course there is stuff like the 30-minute title-track and two other ~20 minute songs but it flows nicely as a whole. Plus it features Karen O on "Song for a warrior" and it is beautiful.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

For My Parents arrived this afternoon, but I haven't really had a proper chance to listen to it yet, friend was over and we were studying so I just had it on in the background. I'm on my first proper listen now and it is as good as I expected but I think Dream Odyssey is still my favourite track from it at this point. The white vinyl is gorgeous, it's a shame the corners of the sleeve came a bit dinged up.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles is an eleven or twelve piece band that started in 2008 from what I hear and they've released two albums. They're very much in the long songs school of post rock and the builds are amazingly slow. They remind me of Godspeed if Godspeed decided one day that all of their songs moved far too quickly and abruptly. They also combine the If These Trees Could Talk theory of more guitars=more better and the Godspeed system of using lots of things that aren't guitars, consisting of 5 guitars, bass, drums, violin, cello, piano, bells and a harp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaz-4MfHtOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cswnn_bUo

Oh and it's all available FREE!

This is absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
The Sirens Sound would be a lot more useful if it wasn't so loving poorly designed.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy
Re: Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles

I've been listening to the Brick City Ghosts album all morning and it is simply mesmerizing. The album is strangely reminiscent of early Silver Mt. Zion.

If you're looking for a new classically-styled (if that's possible?) postrock experience then I can't recommend this album enough.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Apparently there's a new Sleeping People album, Notruf. Totally out of the blue, too, I only found it because it was linked on a page for the new Mono album.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Just discovered an old 2007 EP from ASIWYFA that probably has some of their best tracks on it. I wish I would have known this before I saw them live, they probably would have gotten a kick out of somebody requesting this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StT8vAegrgc

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I'm getting massive déjà vu from this. Could one of you help me out here? I swear this passage is almost identical in sound to something else I've heard.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Reminds me a lot of something off Grails' Burning Off Impurities.

At least the beginning part. The rest of it is very GYBE-y.

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 5, 2012

massey ferguson
Mar 11, 2012

Speaking of GYBE-y, any opinions on the Swans album? I'm pretty impressed. Definitely one of the best post rock albums I've heard in a long time.

As for the new Mono I have to say I haven't really been able to enjoy any of their albums from You Are There. I read a criticism saying they sound too much like they are trying to soundtrack a Disney movie at times and I somewhat agree with that. I realise post rock is a genre where it is hard to try and be innovative but Mono really need to ditch the orchestras IMO

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
I'm halfway through my first listen of the new Mono and it's basically the Die Hard 2 of Hymn To The Immortal Wind I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Indonesian post-rock? Yes please.