Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aubergine Despot
Jan 1, 2009

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm also looking for a remote for my desktop PC, mainly to control the volume from my bed. I don't mind getting a cheap wireless keyboard if it has controls for it but a wireless mouse won't work since I'll be too far away for accurate control

It might be out of your desired price range, but I'm quite fond of my Logitech K400. It's got dedicated volume buttons, and it's a good size -- not too awkward and bulky, but comfortable to type on for HTPC purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm looking for a printer with AirPrint to use with an iPad 2. It's for my mom, who will not be using it frequently, so it should be as cheap as possible and does not need any features other than the ability to print from an iPad 2 without a computer being involved.She will be printing almost entirely black and white documents so it doesn't need photo printing capabilities or great color reproduction. Thanks!

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

dantheman650 posted:

I'm looking for a printer with AirPrint to use with an iPad 2. It's for my mom, who will not be using it frequently, so it should be as cheap as possible and does not need any features other than the ability to print from an iPad 2 without a computer being involved.She will be printing almost entirely black and white documents so it doesn't need photo printing capabilities or great color reproduction. Thanks!

I just found a Canon Pixma on SlickDeals for under $60 at Amazon. I know you said you weren't interested in photo printing but this has it in case your mom ever wants to print out pictures from a phone or camera. It also has a separate black ink cartridge so it won't use up the colors if she's printing black and white most of the time and it's an all-in-one so she can use it for scanning (if she hooks it up to a computer) or copying if she so desires.

Fake Edit: comes with AirPrint.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I just found a Canon Pixma on SlickDeals for under $60 at Amazon. I know you said you weren't interested in photo printing but this has it in case your mom ever wants to print out pictures from a phone or camera. It also has a separate black ink cartridge so it won't use up the colors if she's printing black and white most of the time and it's an all-in-one so she can use it for scanning (if she hooks it up to a computer) or copying if she so desires.

Fake Edit: comes with AirPrint.

This looks great! I ordered it, thanks a lot.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

I think it's the ear force xl1

Thanks for this. Anyone else have any good ideas for an xbox headset where I can filter the entire game sounds (including voice chat) through 'em?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Aubergine Despot posted:

It might be out of your desired price range, but I'm quite fond of my Logitech K400. It's got dedicated volume buttons, and it's a good size -- not too awkward and bulky, but comfortable to type on for HTPC purposes.

I'd looked at this and thought about getting it so decided to buy it based on your recommendation. Thanks

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Recommendations for portable speakers that connect to a smartphone or iPod, etc. via a normal 3.5mm jack? Either brick-shaped or ball or whatever.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Can anyone recommend a pair of headphones that wrap behind your head?

I'm currently using earbuds at the gym, and they fall out pretty consistently when either running or lifting, which is really annoying.

I used to have a couple pairs of the previous version of these, but one pair the left channel died about 2 months in, and the other ones lasted longer but the wire leading to the headphone jack had some horrible construction and just wore down.

I would get a pair of the ones I just posted, but a lot of people complain that the volume control hits them in the face because its so close to the earbuds, so that's no good.

I haven't really been able to find a set with good reviews yet. Just looking for something that's 1. around the head and 2. sweat resistant. I don't even care about the audio quality so much as long as I can hear something, all I listen to is podcasts.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
When you say earbuds, do you mean like the standard plastic ipod, sits in your ear style or the silicone tipped, goes inside your ear canal style? I wear the silicone type and I've never had them fall out at the gym or when running. I have a pair of JBL and a pair of Ultimate Ears and neither have issues with falling out. They have different sized tips to fit various sized ears. It takes some trial and error to see which work best for you. As I found out, you may also have two different sized ear canals.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

rockcity posted:

When you say earbuds, do you mean like the standard plastic ipod, sits in your ear style or the silicone tipped, goes inside your ear canal style? I wear the silicone type and I've never had them fall out at the gym or when running. I have a pair of JBL and a pair of Ultimate Ears and neither have issues with falling out. They have different sized tips to fit various sized ears. It takes some trial and error to see which work best for you. As I found out, you may also have two different sized ear canals.

I think the two different sized ear canals is definitely possible. I've just never had any that fit. I currently have these. They came with like 3 different tips and none of them stay in, even when I'm mowing the lawn or something. Extremely annoying.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
These are pretty good, comes with three different sized olives as well as flanges. They also wrap around over your ear so they stay in place.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038W0K2U/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Dudebro posted:

Recommendations for portable speakers that connect to a smartphone or iPod, etc. via a normal 3.5mm jack? Either brick-shaped or ball or whatever.

I have the Big Jambox and it rules, it does bluetooth or uses a 3.5mm jack. If you need something smaller/not as loud, the regular Jambox doesn't cost as much.

They're both pretty expensive though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

overdesigned posted:

I have the Big Jambox and it rules, it does bluetooth or uses a 3.5mm jack. If you need something smaller/not as loud, the regular Jambox doesn't cost as much.

They're both pretty expensive though.

Seconding the jambox. I have a friend who is an engineer for them and he brought the small one and big one on a trip we took to Lake Tahoe and they were awesome and the bluetooth connectivity is excellent. As noted, they're pretty pricey though.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
A good number of Amazon reviews of the Jambox are 1-3 stars although the majority of them are 4-5 stars, but it's a little worrying. I was going to jump on it earlier, but I'm currently pausing.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I have a Logitech Boombox that I love. Sound quality is good on battery power, great when plugged in to the wall (20W when plugged in, only 6W when on battery). Battery life has been good, I've used it for a few hours at a time with no problems (I think it's rated at 6 hours). It's a bit pricey at $120, but I bought it with birthday money and I bet I've used it almost every day since I bought it. Bluetooth works good and the 3.5mm input is fine as well.

Highly recommended!

ickna
May 19, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

I have a Logitech Boombox that I love. Sound quality is good on battery power, great when plugged in to the wall (20W when plugged in, only 6W when on battery). Battery life has been good, I've used it for a few hours at a time with no problems (I think it's rated at 6 hours). It's a bit pricey at $120, but I bought it with birthday money and I bet I've used it almost every day since I bought it. Bluetooth works good and the 3.5mm input is fine as well.

Highly recommended!

Seconding this, I recommended it earlier in this thread too.

The.Big.Dirty.Emu
May 2, 2009

PirateDentist posted:

I have some of their more budget Worx ones I wear daily. They're pretty good, but you have to maintain them. The leather is a lot thicker than cheap stuff, and without oiling them it will crack and split. I mink oil mine (they have non-mink stuff too if that matters to you) every three to four weeks.

My first pair didn't get all that well maintained and it cracked and got a hole. They replaced them for free, but after that I'm sure to oil often. 6 months on now and they're just fine. Waaay better shape than my cheap pair at the same time in.

Cheers, I'll bear that in mind. I guess they come with some sort of care instructions?

Geoj posted:

Are you planning on wearing these for work or as dress/casual dress shoes? If I'm looking up the right model these are from the Heritage line, and while you could wear them as heavy duty work boots they're not really intended for that.

I've been wearing a pair of 9011 Beckmans (aka "Gentleman Travelers") as my work shoe since February - I work as a field technician so while I'm indoors I'm on my feet most of the day. After the brutal wear-in phase they've become quite comfortable. The craftsmanship on them are top notch, maybe not up to "fine Italian leather shoe" standards but definitely better than whatever Chinese-made boot you'd buy in your average retail/shoe store. If the lofty pricetag doesn't scare you off go for it.

Yeah, this are just for casual wear. I'm ideally looking for a nice pair I can have for a good couple of years, and these seem to fit the ticket.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Can someone recommend a good small vacuum/hoover that's good for a desk (mine gets phenomenally dusty and I have absolutely no idea why) but also powerful enough to get crap like bobbly bits from socks and crap left from shoes out of a carpet?

Also I live in the UK, but please don't ignore me ):

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The.Big.Dirty.Emu posted:

Cheers, I'll bear that in mind. I guess they come with some sort of care instructions?

If you have a Red Wing retail store near you they'll oil/polish your boots for free. Otherwise, buy the supplies online and follow their care instructions: http://www.redwingheritage.com/care

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I want to recommend MSR brand outdoors gear for people's (high-end) outdoor needs. I have their Fury tent, their Miniworks water filter, a stove model that they actually don't make anymore, etc.

Why am I shilling for these dudes like they just sucked my dick?

I've had that Fury tent for like 8 years now. It gets occasional-but-annual usage. A couple years back I broke the tent poles putting it up in a rainstorm while drunk. They replaced 'em, free, 8 years after the purchase date. (I've been making do with the included pole patch kit since the breakage because I'm lazy.) They also replaced the rain fly, the waterproofing thereof was becoming sticky and old, even though that's not a warranty-able item. Also they shipped the replacement stuff for free.

Their customer service basically rules. And the gear itself is solid as hell. They've redesigned the tent so that it goes up with clips, not sleeves, so drunk-me wouldn't be able to break the poles on the new Fury 2.0 model.

Anyway, good gear.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Anyone have opinions on portable bluetooth speakers? I was looking at the Creative d100, but ideally I'd like something a bit more portable. Looking to spend less than $100.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

internet inc posted:

In short, what do you use to take notes in class and why?

This is from the last page, but as a medical student in the UK, my productivity skyrocketed when I bout a Lenovo Thinkpad X-series Tablet

It's an expensive solution, but it really is better than either a tablet PC or a laptop. I use OneNote, and I can type, draw, handwrite, and record lectures all in the same program and all at the same time. Like all of lenovo's stuff it's businesslike, rugged, and well-designed. You can essentially eliminate paper with the added bonus of always being able to note-take in whatever is the most appropriate format at the time. And always having your entire semesters/years worth of notes with you, well-organised and easily searchable. Can't recommend them highly enough, especially for people who struggle keeping massive piles of paper organised.

Oh, and writing on a tablet is pretty much the same speed as writing on paper, with added tricks like an infinite page, the ability to move/delete/resize stuff, import stuff from wherever to scribble on, and an infinite number of pens/highlighters to choose from.

Man I love tablets.

jabby has a new favorite as of 11:46 on Aug 25, 2012

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What are those gel insoles that people are always recommending over Dr. Scholl's?

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Can I get a recommendation on computer speakers? I'm not looking for anything too fancy, but I'd like to not notice any poor audio quality.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What are those gel insoles that people are always recommending over Dr. Scholl's?
Super feet.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Superfeet aren't gel though, they're rigid. Which is much better for your foot anyway.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Phthisis posted:

Can I get a recommendation on computer speakers? I'm not looking for anything too fancy, but I'd like to not notice any poor audio quality.

Budget?

Edit: If in the $100 or so range, you should be looking into monitors.

Etrips has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Aug 25, 2012

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

An observer posted:

Superfeet aren't gel though, they're rigid. Which is much better for your foot anyway.
I ignored the gel bit because Superfeet are indeed the insoles everyone recommends.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yeah, Superfeet seems to be the ones. Thanks! Not sure if the blue or black would be the better fit for me though.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Phthisis posted:

I have these but they're $200. The vast majority of reviews are 5 stars. The control is really convenient and has a headphone jack. When I first got these, I forgot how great computer speakers can be because I was stuck using headphones for the longest time.

If you search Amazon for 2.1 computer speakers then compare by reviews, I'm sure you can find something good for cheaper. I just really like these speakers and having a giant subwoofer feels cool.

NorskHotDog
Oct 23, 2010
Now that school has started I thought I'd drop in and remind everyone that if you are not using your laptop to take notes in class, or you are using Microsoft word to take notes in class, START USING MICROSOFT ONENOTE!!

Seriously, it is the most under utilized of the office suite and it is SO useful for students. Do you have an open-note test? There's a search bar which will search all of the notes that you have taken for all of your classes from all of your past semesters as well as the current.

Is there a website with some info you want to grab? Copy/paste it and OneNote will even be kind enough to put a link on there to remind you were you got it from.

Stop using a word processing program to process your notes! Use a note processing program!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I need a small mp3 player for running. The ipod shuffle is an ideal size, especially being light enough to just clip it on any piece of clothing. However, having to deal with itunes to get songs on the device is annoying as hell.

So ideally:
-small
-light
-drag and drop file transfer
-Memory doesn't have to be too big; I think I have like less than 6 GB of music on my computer at the moment.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

I need a small mp3 player for running. The ipod shuffle is an ideal size, especially being light enough to just clip it on any piece of clothing. However, having to deal with itunes to get songs on the device is annoying as hell.

So ideally:
-small
-light
-Memory doesn't have to be too big; I think I have like less than 6 GB of music on my computer at the moment.
Get a Sansa Clip. It should be exactly what you're looking for.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

Away all Goats posted:

So ideally:
-small
-light

I've always recommended the sansa clip+.

Specifically this one:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1346383394&sr=8-5&keywords=sansa+clip%2B

You put music on by drag and drop, has a solid clip which is large enough to stay on pretty good where ever you like it, I put mine on my waistband. There is an updated version which you'll see on that amazon link but I've never used it or seen the need to upgrade. Its a very simple straightforward mp3 player. It does have an xd card slot should you feel you require more space.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That looks perfect, thanks!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Just an fyi but any iPod can have music transferred on/off of it via Winamp.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I need help! I really want to buy an upright exercise bike, but I have come up short after days of researching different models. I'm willing to spend up to 350$, and all I really want is something that is reliable and has basic resistance control.

Basically every model I look up has reviews of people complaining of either pedals that break, resistance controls that give out, or mystery sounds that are unbearably loud. I refuse to believe I have to spend 700$ on a commercial bike to get something that won't break down after a few months.

Any advice would be appreciated!

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Do you have a regular bike already? Have you considered a resistance trainer that you can use with a regular bike? Good ones come in at around or under $300.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

One Swell Foop posted:

Do you have a regular bike already? Have you considered a resistance trainer that you can use with a regular bike? Good ones come in at around or under $300.

Nope, I don't have a bike. I live in a really hilly area, otherwise I would just buy a bike and ride it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Speaking of bikes, there's this guy I know who loves to bike. He travels a lot and has quirky but inoffensive interests, like 1950s-era comedies, nootropics, camping, and obscure regional alcohols. He and his family are well-off, but he likes to live simply (and is currently in an apartment). He's into music, too, but he already has an excellent music player and stereo system. Can anyone think of a reasonably expensive gift for a guy like that which communicates "Happy birthday!" with a discernible undertone of "I will absolutely sleep with you if you're interested"?

• Locked thread