Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

I get the feel that I should have at least one holy weapon though for an upcoming area, any recommendations for someone with 24str?

I made a holy scythe once on PS3 and loved it. If it's for the upcoming area I think it is, it'll cut through everything in your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

das four
Aug 2, 2011

allah ackbar little brother

FrickenMoron posted:

I get the feel that I should have at least one holy weapon though for an upcoming area, any recommendations for someone with 24str?

Can't really go wrong with the Claymore.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Man serpent greatsword has good base damage and is imo the best strength weapon and it needs 24, go farm one if you've opened sen's. You could also go the easy way and buy a reinforced club from the undead merchant. Since you have such low faith divine weapons won't do a ton of damage anyway, but you'll be able to two-shot the skeletons with either.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

das four posted:

Can't really go wrong with the Claymore.

I only have the zweihander, the dragon is still guarding that one I think. Any good idea how to get without killing myself?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Someone please answer me quickly before I waste 30k souls by putting 4 points into faith. :sigh:

Astora's sword sucks and should only be used pre-drake sword. If you're going into faith it's way better to make a divine weapon.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Please afk at bonfires sitting down or else you'll get a face full of Acid Surge!

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

I only have the zweihander, the dragon is still guarding that one I think. Any good idea how to get without killing myself?

Shoot it with an arrow, quickly run out and get it when it lands on the bridge.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Anyone on at this time in the morning in the SL18 range that feels like helping me fight super Ornstein?? :shobon:

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
Invasions are coming thick and fast now, which is nice.
Sadly saw my first hacked character, a player called Fettel, when I was invaded passing through the burg, seemed to have unlimited hp. Didn't manage to knock him off the edge either, sadly.
Never saw any of that stuff on PS 3. Just hope it doesn't become an epidemic.

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
I've beaten the game on ps3, but gently caress me if sen's fortress isn't kicking my rear end on pc. Sometimes i get impatient and just naked-run through most of it, being pretty good at dodging but the swinging blades in combination with the electric snakemen are really getting to me. Every other area has been a breeze until now.

EDIT; If you ever notice the message about save files being corrupted, chances are gfwl didn't log in. Restart your game.

Goddamn Hippy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 26, 2012

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

FrickenMoron posted:

You can downgrade the occult club you pick up along the way into a holy club. I do it every playthrough and it works like a charm.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
At the final boss of the DLC, but I can't find Sif's summon sign outside the fog door. If you save him, does Sif just show up in the middle of the fight?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How do you make something Holy anyway? Suppose it'd be a good thing to start working on as I'm nearing the end of Blighttown.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

That Gobbo posted:

Please afk at bonfires sitting down or else you'll get a face full of Acid Surge!

I've been meaning to ask what's up with all of the 'up arrows' on the bottoms of peoples health/stamina bars?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Rookersh posted:

How do you make something Holy anyway? Suppose it'd be a good thing to start working on as I'm nearing the end of Blighttown.

I've been playing this game consistently since October and I still refer to upgrade chart regularly.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Quick question that'll save me from wasting 10k souls: If I started as a Cleric with the "heal" spell, can I buy the same spell again from a vendor and equip it in two slots for 10 charges instead of 5?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been playing this game consistently since October and I still refer to upgrade chart regularly.

So grind slimes then?

That doesn't sound as fun as dying repeatedly trying to kill necromancers.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Elsje posted:

After buying an XBOX-controller, I finally find myself enjoying the game. I am dying most often due to trouble handling the controller, though. It's really awkward moving the camera with a stick. Most often when I die, it is because I lost track of where I am, where my enemy is, or I fall off a ledgde. I seem to accidentally change the active item all the time too, because when I think I will be chugging an Estus Flask, often I'm using some sort of other item. I really hope they will fix the mouse + KB controls, because I don't see myself progressing very far without taking weeks to adjust to awkward controller movement.

This was exactly how I felt about using controllers to look around many years ago when FPS' first started coming onto consoles. Keep at it and it will become as second nature to you as mouselook, and you'll be surprised how quickly. For me it has to such an extent I even choose to play games like Crysis 2 and Deus Ex HR with the controller just so I'm not hunched over my keyboard getting shoulder cramp after playing for a while.

I don't know if you're an invert-Y type anyway, and this will probably sound a bit weird if you're not, but give it a shot anyway just to see how it feels. Envision your thumb is on your character's head and moving it towards the screen pushes their head down, pulling back makes them look up. YMMV, worked for me anyway.

I just got to the Blacksmith with the one legged statue thing with the big halberd in the room after him. Am I supposed to be able to beat it by now or is running past it like a huge wuss (which I did) and coming back later the thing you're "supposed" to do?

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003

FallenGod posted:

Quick question that'll save me from wasting 10k souls: If I started as a Cleric with the "heal" spell, can I buy the same spell again from a vendor and equip it in two slots for 10 charges instead of 5?

Yes

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

mcvey posted:

I've been meaning to ask what's up with all of the 'up arrows' on the bottoms of peoples health/stamina bars?

They're all various bonuses from equipment. The yellow arrow is the ring of favour and protection, the three green arrows is the grass crest shield, the blue arrow is the crown of the dark sun, and the armor arrow is the wolf ring.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Good to know. I figured it worked that way, but what with the autosaving I didn't dare check.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Rookersh posted:

So grind slimes then?

If you pump your humanity decently (and if you found a certain ring in Sen's Fortress) you should have a nice amount of item find. Go to the long watery hallway in the Depths, near the bon fire, and you can easily kill 5-6 slimes per minute. A great route for grinding is to kill those slimes, run down the steps, kill a bunch of rats for humanity, then back up the bon fire to reset it all. Put on some nice music and in an hour you'll have a pile of shards and humanity.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Rookersh posted:

So grind slimes then?

I would grind slugs, in the swamps. They drop Green much more frequently, and when they do, they drop FIVE at once

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Kiggles posted:

I would grind slugs, in the swamps. They drop Green much more frequently, and when they do, they drop FIVE at once

OOooooooh, this is huge. I never knew this! Doesn't the constant hissing from being poisoned become annoying quickly?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

AlternatePFG posted:

At the final boss of the DLC, but I can't find Sif's summon sign outside the fog door. If you save him, does Sif just show up in the middle of the fight?

It's on the ground in the boss area, you need to summon him while you fight the boss.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh my god the Sanctuary Guardian is so fast and so aggressive and so strong and he has lightning and poison and my Miracles do barely any damage and mommy I'm scared I don't wanna play with the big boys anymore I wanna take my toys and go back to Lordran where I was so much safer :gonk:

God it feels good to feel like this again.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

mcvey posted:

Status effects, basically. The green up arrows are increased stamina regen, the yellow one comes from Ring of Favor and Protection, +20% HP, Stamina, and Equip Load. The Scroll up arrow I believe is sorcery boost (Slumbering dragoncrest ring?), and the armor-up I'm unsure of.

Sketh
Jun 7, 2008
Oh god I hate this game so much. Finally just managed to beat the taurus demon at undead burg, had a scare when I died to some rats across the bridge thinking that it may have respawned. Was happy when it didn't, but ran out of estus flasks and got poisoned by those same rats. I knew the poison would kill me eventually so I did a mad dash to try and find a bonfire somewhere near, apparently running up a spire was not the best idea as I reach the top and get pasted into the ground by a black knight. That's 10,000 souls I don't see myself retrieving :negative:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I found a Black Knight sword, should I level up in strength and dex enough to use it?

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Was playing Dark Souls on PS3 when it released. Unfortunately Dark Souls is so hard it killed my Blu-Ray laser.:darksouls: Luckily for me only got as far as ringing both bells before it died.

Steam release and I begin again, and I completely forgot how much I love this game. Was running around preparing for Gaping Dragon when I got invaded. Sorry invader for not bowing, but the two petrifying frogs plus you was more than I was willing to entertain at once. Although I don't think you enjoyed that riposte nearly as much as me. :black101:

Guess I will farm Queen firespider for humanity for the spell. Man do I love this game.

Also glad I am not the only one having summoning problems. I have been successful summoned 7-10 times, but have only summoned 3 of 22 phantoms successfully.

Seer235
May 13, 2011

So a DLC question:

Is there actually a new covenant? I haven't been able to play it on the pc yet myself, but I've seen no word on any covenant details yet.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Ryuga Death posted:

I found a Black Knight sword, should I level up in strength and dex enough to use it?

Yeah, the Black Knight weapons are pretty awesome, they can easily bring you through to the end game. They aren't expensive or hard to upgrade either, although you won't be able to put your hands on the upgrade material until the halfway point of the game.

Seer235 posted:

So a DLC question:

Is there actually a new covenant? I haven't been able to play it on the pc yet myself, but I've seen no word on any covenant details yet.

I heard rumors that there was, but I haven't been able to confirm.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Is it worth it to put 4-5 points into STR to be able to wield the Winged Spear? I've already got a +5 Spear that's serving me quite well.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
I just defeated the final boss of the DLC Manas with Sif summoned to help me. That was a fun fight, but I felt like some of it's attacks (Especially the magic ones) were given little to no tells and were a bit cheap. Sif wasn't as useful as I thought he would be though.

So, where do I find this black dragon? :black101:

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I got impatient of waiting for Summon Signs so I just went in and took down Super Ornstein myself, even without Solaire since I didn't want to waste more humanity. Took me about three tries because he's such a motherfucker.

Question for the DLC: How far in are those carvings? If they're just in the first area or something then that's all I need, I want to keep this character super low level so I can Sunbro at the Parish with a +10 Fire Gargoyle Halberd and a poncho while bellowing THANK YOUU

edit: Holy poo poo you can warp to the Depths/Parish instantly now, that's loving awesome

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Is SL 33 too high to reliable sunbro for Gaping Dragon? It's either that or head to Blighttown, and I'd like to crank up my Pyromancer's Flame a bit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Artix74 posted:

Is SL 33 too high to reliable sunbro for Gaping Dragon? It's either that or head to Blighttown, and I'd like to crank up my Pyromancer's Flame a bit.
I've done it quite a few times at level 32.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Definitely.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Just got my first hacker invasion, in the first newbie area too. His name was GFWL Souls and he had infinite health. He was just cheesing with a massive hammer that did huge aoe damage. I fought him for a good 15 minutes, hitting him a ton of times since he just kept on slamming it down, but it never showed any health getting taken off :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I feel like I SLed up a bit much.

I'm SL37 right now in Blighttown, I feel "ok" about my current build, but ideally would like to start putting more points into Vit/Strength soonish. I'm currently putting all my points into +5ing all my Elite Knight stuff, as well as putting more points into my Zweihander/Crest Shield before I move further into Blighttown. I'm not seeing ANY Summon signs though, so I'm wondering if I just haven't hit the part of Blightown that people put signs down in, or if I'm overleveled for the zone.

Ideally, I'd like to end my first run at SL80ish, with 40 Vit, 30 End, and 34 Strength. I wasted a few points bringing Dex to 15, and will probably put 2 points into Attunement to unlock another spell slot.

After that, I was hoping to just pump Faith on my NG+ run, and grab Heal/Spears from Sunbros, hitting 50 Faith at around SL119/120ish.

I feel good about my build right now ( outside the Zweihander, I don't like 2handed stuff, and only like the Dex based 1handed stuff, but want to use Greatshields and have tons of Health, so seems like using Dex stuff is out of the question for me. ), but as I said, not seeing any summon signs, and seeing people saying they are taking out O&S/Anor Londo/Blighttown at 15 or so, which makes me curious as to if I did drastically overpace everything.

• Locked thread