Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
I sat in an empty gold lobby for 15 minutes waiting until I just said gently caress it and went ahead with no consumables used or anything. Got Cerberus on Vancouver and made it to wave 7 without anyone joining.

Waited some more, started another game. Of all the luck, I got Geth White. Was filled up by wave 3. :( Needless to say, my new friends didn't stick around when they got back to the lobby and saw the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

I sat in an empty gold lobby for 15 minutes waiting until I just said gently caress it and went ahead with no consumables used or anything. Got Cerberus on Vancouver and made it to wave 7 without anyone joining.

Waited some more, started another game. Of all the luck, I got Geth White. Was filled up by wave 3. :( Needless to say, my new friends didn't stick around when they got back to the lobby and saw the settings.

I actually ran an unknown Gold game with pubbies earlier today. We got through the second objective round when the servers disconnected me.

:negative:

I haven't booted up the game since.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gangringo posted:

Believe me, they are not. I get maybe one gear piece out of every three SPs/PSPs I buy.

Well piss, the things just won't stop showing up for me. While it is nice to get something that technically could be worth using at some distant point in the future, I'm still getting most of them for the first time so they're just pointless 3% stat differences. The only ones I have that make a noticeable impact is Thermal Clip Storage III and Multicapacitor IV, and those are silvers.

Compared to the weapons and characters I want, getting a gear basically feels like a dud Rare item in a PSP.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 26, 2012

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

VJeff posted:

So I picked the N7 Destroyer out of a PSP yesterday night after promoting my Soldier and the EXP boost puts it at level 8. My plan was to use what points I have to max out Devastator Mode, drop my Claymore X (from the same pack :whatup:) and my Typhoon IV on him and walk into Silver with my best "COME AT ME BRO" face on. Good plan y/n?

That'll work, you could also just use a cyclonic mod to make up the missing fitness and go for the gold though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hm, tried a match as the Destroyer and something occurred to me - is reload canceling not a viable option for him on the Xbox? Disengaging Devastator Mode to reload cancel when it has a really long cooldown due to your weaponry strikes me as a bad idea.

Unless there's a way to reload cancel on the Xbox besides hitting Y that I'm unaware of.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

VJeff posted:

Hm, tried a match as the Destroyer and something occurred to me - is reload canceling not a viable option for him on the Xbox? Disengaging Devastator Mode to reload cancel when it has a really long cooldown due to your weaponry strikes me as a bad idea.

Unless there's a way to reload cancel on the Xbox besides hitting Y that I'm unaware of.

If you're out of cover and not near cover you can tap A, since he won't roll it will reload cancel. If you're in cover you can tap B for the same effect, unless you're close to an edge, then he will pop out and do a stupid melee. It doesn't take too long to get the hang of it though, you can reload cancel like a pro either way.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

VJeff posted:

Is Medigel the Y button? I'm on PC and rebinded the Medigel to mouse, and I use that for reload cancelling. Has no side effects unless you happen to die at the same time as your cancel.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Medigel is down on the D-pad and isn't reliable enough to reload cancel, at least not for me, especially not with the Xbox's lovely D-pad. The devastator isn't bad though, like the other non-dodging classes it's probably the easiest to reload cancel on the 360. The game controls like complete garbage on the console though really and I completely regret not getting it on the PC. If there's another ME multiplayer I won't make that mistake again... but I digress

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Synonamess Botch posted:

Medigel is down on the D-pad and isn't reliable enough to reload cancel, at least not for me, especially not with the Xbox's lovely D-pad. The devastator isn't bad though, like the other non-dodging classes it's probably the easiest to reload cancel on the 360. The game controls like complete garbage on the console though really and I completely regret not getting it on the PC. If there's another ME multiplayer I won't make that mistake again... but I digress

I was kinda pigeonholed into the 360 version because, y'know,that's where my Shepherd was and :lol: like I'm gonna loving bother with Origin, but yeah, it really controls terrible on consoles. Maybe EA will pull its head out of its rear end and release Mass Effect 4: Shepard's Electric Boogaloo on Steam.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

VJeff posted:

I usually do it the way Synonamess Botch mentioned. I've never even heard of someone using the Y button to reload cancel. Don't you usually have a skill bound to that button?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Synonamess Botch posted:

The controls are absolute bollocks on PC too. I assume it's this way on consoles as well, but a single button is used for sprinting, taking cover, leaving cover, dodging, vaulting cover, rolling between pieces of cover, reviving, and activating, and most likely several other things I'm forgetting. It's one of the only games I can think of where a majority of the time I get downed, it feels like it's because the controls hosed up in some way. (Usually different every time--Tried to revive and instead took cover in a nonsensical position, took cover instead of sprinting past it, teleported through cover instead of using it, etc)

It's quite ridiculous since there is a key for shifting 90 degrees in cover, and could totally be a button for any of the other functions my overworked Left Shift key has to do. I'm glad BF3 forced me to use Origin since that was pretty much the only thing keeping me from getting this awesome game and importing my Shepards but goddamn the controls are bad. As in, the worst controls of any game I can recall playing in the last two years at least.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
gently caress the RNG, I just spent 500k credits on PSP's and even disabled the first 2 DLC's and I still can't get a Paladin or a Pistol ULM

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The game has this new funny bit where it occasionally freezes (usually right near the end of a money round) and then without disconnecting anyone just makes me into the host and starts the round over.

I don't like to be the host, I like to quietly leave when I'm done after coming in last.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

subroc posted:

I usually do it the way Synonamess Botch mentioned. I've never even heard of someone using the Y button to reload cancel. Don't you usually have a skill bound to that button?
I use Y all the time, but I'm a power spammer. If I'm shooting, I'm on a cool down, so whatever the power is, it just cancels and casts nothing.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The controls are absolute bollocks on PC too. I assume it's this way on consoles as well, but a single button is used for sprinting, taking cover, leaving cover, dodging, vaulting cover, rolling between pieces of cover, reviving, and activating, and most likely several other things I'm forgetting.

That's the A button on 360. I'm starting to get really good at this loving game and I always wind up stopping dead mid-sprint to dry hump some stray piece of cover at least once a match. I feel like a total newb every time it happens.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RRRRRRRRRAAGGGHHHAAAHAAA!

RRRHHHHAAA-

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
You heavy melee'd the game so hard it fell off the internet.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lagomorphic posted:

That's the A button on 360. I'm starting to get really good at this loving game and I always wind up stopping dead mid-sprint to dry hump some stray piece of cover at least once a match. I feel like a total newb every time it happens.

I mentioned I was taking a break for a couple weeks up until this operation hit. First game back, Firebase Ghost. A banshee shows up, I'm trying to run out of one of the buildings. I go into cover in the piece of wall between the two doorways. Banshees gets me.

First game back. :shepface:

subroc posted:

Yeah, it's usually a skill like Marksman, Adrenaline Rush, Tactical Cloak, or MAYBE Bloodlust and it's never really a problem with those, because you're either gonna hit the cooldown, which is fine, or you'll just activate the ability and it's not ever really a bad thing to turn on Adrenaline Rush or Tactical Cloak right as you've reloaded your weapon. Devastator Mode is the odd man out here because that cooldown is gonna be absolute murder if you're playing the Destroyer right. Although I guess that could be a problem with the Vorcha Soldier too if you don't give a poo poo about using Flamer.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 26, 2012

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

LogicNinja posted:

See, whenever I peek out of cover to PD dudes 2-3 times I get shot to death. Maybe that's because I have Fitness 3?
Don't be in cover in the first place. Just ABC to restore the shield gate. Here's a FRAPS I cut demonstrating how you can stagger-tank Cerberus, on that Giant hack where Phantoms spawn literally figuratively up your rear end. (FRAPS also captured my shoutcast station :slick:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XexjmLnZUI

The Eagle is basically just for show.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Huh, a MQE with unlimited arc grenades in my last game before the servers died. Haven't seen that one before.

Also, I'm remembering why I never promote. Trying to level Vanguard when every host is on the other side of the world :unsmigghh:

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 26, 2012

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
I have not been able to connect all weekend. I keep getting that "lost my connection" message after I click Multiplayer on the main screen. It has the loading screen up for seriously 5 minutes and then kicks me back to the main selection screen.

Is anyone else having this problem? I even tried removing and restarting and reverifying everything, and no help there.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Elotana posted:

Don't be in cover in the first place. Just ABC to restore the shield gate. Here's a FRAPS I cut demonstrating how you can stagger-tank Cerberus, on that Giant hack where Phantoms spawn literally figuratively up your rear end. (FRAPS also captured my shoutcast station :slick:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XexjmLnZUI

The Eagle is basically just for show.

That's all well and good but if I tried that I'd desync really fast.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 26, 2012

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Always Be Hosting

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Elotana posted:

Always Be Hosting

I tried hosting a Gold game with my Novaguard. Nobody showed up after five minutes, so I went "gently caress it, people will join if it's in progress".

Nobody came in, and I got sick of wasting medi-gel on Wave 2 and let myself die.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Have you guys with matchmaking and disconnect issues tried forwarding ports 3659 and 6000 if you're behind a router? I sometimes get friends who can't join unless I redirect these and then they can. My Gold lobbies rarely take longer than a minute to fill up, and I can count on one hand the times I've been disconnected mid-match.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
I promoted everything for this thing. I haven't promoted since like April. Is it normal to just straight kick a guy out of silver for being level 1? It's Silver.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Do accuracy bonuses auto-correct your aim? For giggles I threw a scope on a widow and all of a sudden me, bad sniper that normally kills things with body shots, is hitting things in the head fairly regularly. Can I just take the headshot vi, hunter mode, scope and just close my eyes and kill things?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Rape Jake. posted:

I promoted everything for this thing. I haven't promoted since like April. Is it normal to just straight kick a guy out of silver for being level 1? It's Silver.

Pubbies are a funny lot. I've played silver games with some very low levels. If you play a Bronze you'll immediately bump up to level 6 or so and then people should leave you alone.

Or save your credits for the end of the weekend, promote everyone and then buy your PSPs. You get a character card and you're immediately level 8. I got a human soldier and a N7 Destroyer in the same pack, so a bronze and a silver game with my Krogan soldier and I'm back at level 16.

On a related question, how would you guys stat up an N7 Destroyer and Demolisher?

I still don't have the go to gun for them, the Cerberus Harrier, but I've got everything else (all uncommons at X) and a Typhoon V.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Thundercloud posted:

Pubbies are a funny lot. I've played silver games with some very low levels. If you play a Bronze you'll immediately bump up to level 6 or so and then people should leave you alone.

Or save your credits for the end of the weekend, promote everyone and then buy your PSPs. You get a character card and you're immediately level 8. I got a human soldier and a N7 Destroyer in the same pack, so a bronze and a silver game with my Krogan soldier and I'm back at level 16.

On a related question, how would you guys stat up an N7 Destroyer and Demolisher?

I still don't have the go to gun for them, the Cerberus Harrier, but I've got everything else (all uncommons at X) and a Typhoon V.

Destroyer: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#16PALLR@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

Demolisher: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#25MNMEF@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

A few of those points are discretionary, but that's what works for me.

Btw, I've heard Typhoon is the go to gun for Destroyer, you could probably throw it on the Demolisher too, neither of these classes need worry about cooldowns.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, Typhoon works fantastically on Destroyer. I don't have a Harrier, but it doesn't feel like I'm missing out.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
If you don't put the Typhoon on the Destroyer you're just silly. Go do it now before I slap you with a syrupy waffle.

Rape Jake. posted:

Last night I played a Gold game as a level 5 Justicar. I didn't do much really, because it was hard to synchronize with the other biotic in the group (a Slayer), and obviously I didn't have warp bubble yet, but we made full extraction anyway! I guess what I'm trying to say here is that pubbies are about as variable as the human race itself. Anything you can imagine can happen, and probably also a fair bit you can't.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Rape Jake. posted:

Destroyer: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#16PALLR@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

Demolisher: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#25MNMEF@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

A few of those points are discretionary, but that's what works for me.

Btw, I've heard Typhoon is the go to gun for Destroyer, you could probably throw it on the Demolisher too, neither of these classes need worry about cooldowns.

Skipping out on the rate of fire for devastator mode 5 seems kind of silly when there is gear you could use to have more bullets if you really need them.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

That gear only increases the number of spare bullets you have, not bullets per clip.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
On the other hand we had a level 1 Sentinel among the two pubbies in the three games we just had and they insisted on wandering off on their own, making it a bit pointless having them along. A decent player can solo Bronze but I'm not good enough to solo silver, particularly when every mission was capping objectives and the Sentinel just went off on their own and didn't contribute.

At one point I got left trying to solo wave 10 silver with objective capping and got banshee grabbed.

On the other hand I'm too nice to kick someone for being a noob because I was one once and I'm still not exactly the ME3 multiplayer diva that some people here are.

Typhoon is awesome on the Destroyer.

I'm on 6/0/5/6/6 at the moment on level 19. Is the missile launcher definitely not worth taking?

Also the RNG is throwing out a lot of character cards today? Possibly set that way because of all the promoting.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
E:
^^^^
I actually never tried the Missile Launcher because the description and the stats for it looked bad, but I see pubbies using it all the time. I checked it out in the class calculator. The missile itself is similar to concussive shot, only with less damage and force, a slower recharge rate, you don't decide when it fires, and it reduces your shields. When a power is a worse version of conc shot, yeah, it pretty well sucks. Max multi-frags instead, they're great.

Elotana posted:

Don't be in cover in the first place. Just ABC to restore the shield gate. Here's a FRAPS I cut demonstrating how you can stagger-tank Cerberus, on that Giant hack where Phantoms spawn literally figuratively up your rear end.

Yeah, I played Dagger/Cerb/Gold with some Slayer who had N7 1200 or something, with my Batarian Soldier. The other two people on the team were terrible; by round 6 or so they were spending most of their time on the ground bleeding, and rezzing them only gave them the opportunity to die where we couldn't get to them safely. Consequently I just stuck to the slayer and backed him while he killed the world with the exact tactics from your video. Since we were functionally a two-man squad with nobody else drawing aggro, I got sync-killed by phantoms from behind a couple times. I think it was pretty late in rounds 8 and 9. He finished up solo, ending on an Atlas both times, which was kind of impressive to watch. Between the stagger from charge, the stagger from PD, and tricking it into trying to melee him while he teleported away, neither Atlas got off more than a couple shots.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 26, 2012

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Thundercloud posted:

Also the RNG is throwing out a lot of character cards today? Possibly set that way because of all the promoting.

Feels that way, I got another Fury, another Justicar and another Battlemaster. Sure would be nice to see what those ex-cereberus classes were all about during the last DLC.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Thundercloud posted:

I'm on 6/0/5/6/6 at the moment on level 19. Is the missile launcher definitely not worth taking?

It sucks, skip it.

Missile launcher is terrible, I specced it to 6 to try it out and it's pretty awful. It autofires so you have to practice with it and adapt your play around it for it to be useful, for your trouble you can consistently do crappy damage with a stagger while taking a 50%/35% penalty to your shields. The stagger can be nice but it's not worth the cost. There's some potential there but it's going to need a major buff before it's worth even considering.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Rape Jake. posted:

Every Gold lobby was FBW Geth and no one would stay in my non-FBW Geth lobby, so I figured, gently caress it, let's do Silver just to play something. Sal Inf + Indra and it totally wrecks poo poo on Gold, so Silver is a no brainer.

I got kicked from the first lobby. Votes were slow to come in, so I asked, "Any reason for the kick votes?"

"Salarian Infiltrator is took weak for Silver."

Think I kinda dodged a bullet by getting kicked out of that one.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Rick posted:

Do accuracy bonuses auto-correct your aim? For giggles I threw a scope on a widow and all of a sudden me, bad sniper that normally kills things with body shots, is hitting things in the head fairly regularly. Can I just take the headshot vi, hunter mode, scope and just close my eyes and kill things?

Consoles have aim "assist" for any zoomable weapons when you scope in, including ones with native scopes. I say assist sarcastically because it'll just as often re-align you to a swarmer as when you want to hit the marauder who's lighting you up. Last i checked it didn't actually put your reticle on a hitbox, just close to one, but it's been forever since I used snipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Hyperactive posted:

Every Gold lobby was FBW Geth and no one would stay in my non-FBW Geth lobby, so I figured, gently caress it, let's do Silver just to play something. Sal Inf + Indra and it totally wrecks poo poo on Gold, so Silver is a no brainer.

I got kicked from the first lobby. Votes were slow to come in, so I asked, "Any reason for the kick votes?"

"Salarian Infiltrator is took weak for Silver."

Think I kinda dodged a bullet by getting kicked out of that one.

:stare: Even on Platinum I'd welcome a SalInf that knew what he was doing. Energy Drain can keep you from going down at bad times since there's always plenty of Hunters and Phantoms and Banshees to pull from, and Prox mine in the clumps of big guys that develop is priceless. If you've ever seen a properly played GethInf on Platinum you probably know what I mean.

• Locked thread