Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

All that means is that you were unaware of how incredible some of the remaining videos are. :colbert:

Haha, well to be fair with the rate of which TVNihon was translating them I didn't exactly set the bar too high. Towards the end of Hokuto's efforts I was just grateful to see some new translations at a rate faster than one episode per year. When Clover and zari-gani started I just figured their stuff was added bonuses until they burnt out.

It wasn't until last year when I figured you guys were just going to translate literally everything. :v:

Edit: VVV I think this is the second time I forgot about ShinYaguchi. :doh:

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
To be fair, all I did was post some corrections for ShinYaguchi's material. He did all of the heavy translating work until the current translators stepped up.

On the note of corrections, in Battletoads part 1, I noticed that the team wrote the city name 市川 as "Ishikawa" in the subs when I'm fairly certain it's supposed to be "Ichikawa". No biggie, just putting it out there.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money
I wish I had a giant version of :woop: to post.

I really want to throw in a huge thanks for the translations. Arino's horrible playing and antics have kept me so entertained and I can't say thanks enough. :3:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hokuto posted:

To be fair, all I did was post some corrections for ShinYaguchi's material. He did all of the heavy translating work until the current translators stepped up.

On the note of corrections, in Battletoads part 1, I noticed that the team wrote the city name 市川 as "Ishikawa" in the subs when I'm fairly certain it's supposed to be "Ichikawa". No biggie, just putting it out there.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw that in zari-gani's translation. But I double checked it and the name of the city is actually Ishikawa. Go figure.

Whoops, you're right. I got paranoid that I introduced an error and went back to double check. The name actually is Ichikawa.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 26, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Id like to think that Project CX takes place inside Kibe's apartment. And everything they show off is from his own collcetion. And they didnt tell him they were coming over to film a segment so he has all that stuff out on display normally.

He was so psyched to be able to nerd-showoff.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Doc Hawkins posted:

In all seriousness, "kaeru" -> "toad back" is a brilliant translation.

Thank you, I had to think a lot before coming up with a close equivalent.

serialrobinson posted:

Kibe: Joyball.
Arino: Never heard of it.
Kibe: What!? You don't know the Joyball?

Kibe's reaction made me laugh. "Never heard of the Joyball?! :psyboom:"

Hokuto posted:

Just one of many typos I caught in this episode only after the fact, which is always soul-crushing.

By the way I saw someone on Twitter complaining about how I translated "Mesiaya." Let me explain:

The Japanese reads Mesaiya but the confusing stylized logo says MASAYA (which should then be simply Masaya in Japanese)...though it could also be MASIYA? MASAIYA? But judging from the Japanese they were most likely going for the world "Messiah." That's actually what I translated it as until I saw the logo.

I checked online to see what other people used, and found this:

some website posted:

Other Info: Due to the terribly confusing name, "Masaya" is also known as Mesaiya (Katakana spelling), and Masiya. There are other things the company is called, but those are the ones I feel make the most sense. I will follow the Katakana spelling for now, though you can use any of the previous names.

So I decided to follow this person's lead and use "Mesaiya" because it's the least ambiguous and whether it's Mesaiya or Messiah, the pronunciation is the same. I know not everyone will agree with this decision (oh god please don't let this turn into a giant thread derail) but it's only mentioned twice so I figured it wouldn't take away from the enjoyment of this awesome challenge.

ETA: Turns out their website URL says "Masaya" but I'm still confused by how the romaji doesn't match the pronunciation. Alas. I should've just used both versions. :smith: Japanese companies do sometimes completely mess up official romaji though. For example, the manga Kurono Kuruseedo was officially "Chrno Crusade" until it was fixed to "Chrono Crusade" when released in English.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 26, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tiny event spoilers:

Arino played Captain Tsubasa for the audience.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

At the event they announced a new special that will air in October on BS SkyPerfecTV: "Game Center CX in Asia." The location is TBA. They mentioned everything from Malaysia to Mongolia as possibilities (jokingly).

Also announced: the release of Discotek's DVD, and new merchandise to be sold at Tokyo Game Show this year.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Thank you, SAGCCX, for translating the Battletoads episodes for us. I've never played much of Battletoads outside of the first level, but seeing the rest of the game makes me glad that I never saw the rest of it since it looks insanely difficult unless you know how to warp through the levels.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

At the event they announced a new special that will air in October on BS SkyPerfecTV: "Game Center CX in Asia." The location is TBA. They mentioned everything from Malaysia to Mongolia as possibilities (jokingly).

My money is on Thailand. China and India are big enough destinations that it wouldn't be "GCCX in Asia" if he went there.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen Arino enjoy a game that much before, his face was practically glowing the entire time. These episodes are definitely some of my favorite, right up there with the Bomberman DVD episode.

Thanks SAGCCX team, you are amazing.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Did the Tamage in Battletoads part 1 spoil one of the remaining untranslated episodes? :( Oh well.

I wonder why Takahashi Cardigan didn't tell Arino he could attack Giblet on the Rat Race stage to send him flying, usually causing him to hit a wall and turn around... maybe out of the fear that Arino would then try too hard to attack him, miss, and just end up wasting more time.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Shock Trooper posted:

Did the Tamage in Battletoads part 1 spoil one of the remaining untranslated episodes? :( Oh well.

I wonder why Takahashi Cardigan didn't tell Arino he could attack Giblet on the Rat Race stage to send him flying, usually causing him to hit a wall and turn around... maybe out of the fear that Arino would then try too hard to attack him, miss, and just end up wasting more time.

It seems like the ADs are a lot more hands-off nowadays. Must take a lot of patience to watch Arino spend an hour replaying the whole game when you know you can do it in 15 minutes with warps.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Drakkel posted:

It seems like the ADs are a lot more hands-off nowadays. Must take a lot of patience to watch Arino spend an hour replaying the whole game when you know you can do it in 15 minutes with warps.

Yeah, but did you see how happy he looked while doing that? I wouldn't have the heart to take it away from him. And on a related note...

What the hell indeed, Arino, what the hell.

stealth edit: when did "Ray-phasing broadcast" give way to "Gamecenter CX" in the intro? It just doesn't feel right.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shock Trooper posted:

It's not one of the great episodes anyway. :v:

Actually there's nothing really wrong with that episode; it just a perfect example of an average episode. Average play of an average game with and average trip and an average segment.

(I almost added that this summed up "a lot" of the remaining season ten episodes. Then I realized that there's three episodes left. So I might as well say that Dig Dug II is along the same lines.)

FireCar posted:

stealth edit: when did "Ray-phasing broadcast" give way to "Gamecenter CX" in the intro? It just doesn't feel right.

Episode 128. Technically they changed it again in 129 but the voice said "Game Center CX" in 128 as well; it was just processed differently.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 26, 2012

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

ProfessorLoomis posted:

What a great episode. This part absolutely slaughtered me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGa43HjAJGE&t=3099s

Hey hey hey hey! That was cute. We really need a little "Best of Arino" video.

"It's an S-Car...lator!"
"I'm gonna throw a Ritzy party!"

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
The only other time I recall Arino having so much fun was with super mario 64. Battletoads for me is easily in the top 3 episodes ever. Thank you to you all. Zari Gani, those illustrations are pure gold, you are awesome!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Those episodes had everything, extremely glad you guys rushed to get this one subbed. Battletoads is easily top 3 for me now. I love the back and forth between Arino and Kan during the live broadcast announcement.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It's not one of the great episodes anyway. :v:

Actually there's nothing really wrong with that episode; it just a perfect example of an average episode. Average play of an average game with and average trip and an average segment.

Much like the Phoenix challenge (up until translation) I've been incapable of watching the Super Gussun Oyoyo episode without falling asleep. I'm lukewarm about Dig Dug II as well. Nagoyan wants to translate those episodes which is why I haven't touched them yet, in case anyone is wondering about those. Because I've done so many, I don't want to take away any episodes he wants to do.

More news: DVD Box 9 will have F-Zero, Battletoads and Strider Hiryuu.

I was amused by this comment by a Japanese fan: "Retro Game Master has 14 episodes for only 60 dollars. Ours [the Japanese DVDs] are just too expensive..."
With 800 minutes of content for $60, we really are getting a much sweeter deal than Japan will ever get.

R.O.B. looks... really kind of useless and unnecessary.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 26, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I was amused by this comment by a Japanese fan: "Retro Game Master has 14 episodes for only 60 dollars. Ours [the Japanese DVDs] are just too expensive..."
With 800 minutes of content for $60, we really are getting a much sweeter deal than Japan will ever get.
The same can be said for anime releases here. While Japan gets about 2-3 episodes per DVD/Blu-ray we usually get 12 episodes (which I think is called a "cour" by industry people) per set. Not really surprising Japan is envious of the Discotek release, but they get some pretty fancy boxes for their DVDs of GCCX.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Zeether posted:

The same can be said for anime releases here. While Japan gets about 2-3 episodes per DVD/Blu-ray we usually get 12 episodes (which I think is called a "cour" by industry people) per set. Not really surprising Japan is envious of the Discotek release, but they get some pretty fancy boxes for their DVDs of GCCX.

They also get pretty cool swag that comes in the pretty boxes too.

I remember when I was buying Trigun as it was coming out, one DVD at a time (from Amazon). 3-4 episodes on each disc, and like $20-25 each. And that was in the late 90's/early 2000's. I haven't bought anime in a while, so I looked on Amazon for the latest Bleach set. 12 episodes for $35 ($50 retail, but Amazon prices tend to be nicer). I also remember my brother paying out the butt for Star Trek TNG boxed seasons when they came out. When did this pricing change happen? I guess we do have it pretty good now, but I wonder what caused the market to adjust like this. I remember reading something about how weird CD prices are/were in Japan because of rentals, but I didn't know if that applied to DVD's.

And just to compare it to something else I remember, here is another purchase from the early 2000's.
Band of Brothers set - 10 episodes plus extras - $90 orginally ($40ish now)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

FireCar posted:

I also remember my brother paying out the butt for Star Trek TNG boxed seasons when they came out. When did this pricing change happen?

It's just how technology goes. Years ago, back when VHS still existed, people were more willing to pay more money for the newer fancier format. After VHS finally went away, DVD was no longer the new hotness so people didnt wanna spend the money. Im sure the low manufacturing costs helped out.

I got the Tenchi Muyo OVA box set one christmas, early days of DVDs. 13 episodes. Turned out to be around 100 dollars :stare:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Much like the Phoenix challenge (up until translation) I've been incapable of watching the Super Gussun Oyoyo episode without falling asleep. I'm lukewarm about Dig Dug II as well. Nagoyan wants to translate those episodes which is why I haven't touched them yet, in case anyone is wondering about those. Because I've done so many, I don't want to take away any episodes he wants to do.

I just saw the Gussun raw because the arcade game looked interesting and I cracked up every time something got shoved. :v:

Kaitouace
Sep 9, 2011
The Battletoads episodes were great. As someone who owns the (of course more difficult) U.S. version and beat myself to death trying to beat it only to fail even with a Game Genie it was crazy seeing Arino enjoying himself so much with it. Can't recall a single game where he seemed so crazy happy about playing and failing at a game.

And as an aside, it was great seeing Arino figure out in the Project CX segment what most kids with R.O.B. figured out. R.O.B. sucked at playing the game and it was much better with a friend in R.O.B.'s place pressing the buttons for you.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I never heard before of R.O.B. being particularly fragile.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*
Poor guy.

"I think I'm doin' pretty well for a toad."

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

elf help book posted:

I never heard before of R.O.B. being particularly fragile.

30 year old toy with complex moving parts that has most likely spent the last ~29 years in the box.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

"loach play" had me cracking up for some reason.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
so far the very start with something like "He really is a toad, great jumping ability!" and afore-youtubed "hey hey hey hey!" had me dyin. The second part because I used to do that all the time.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

zari-gani posted:

R.O.B. looks... really kind of useless and unnecessary.

My favorite part was when Arino decided to just push the things down himself and it was way faster than waiting for ROB to do it. It really is a ridiculously slow and cumbersome method of accomplishing what you could easily do by just hitting the buttons on the second controller yourself.

That said, wasn't ROB one of the big reasons that the NES succeeded in the US? Because it allowed Nintendo to market it as a robot toy that just happened to come with a game, since they were in the wake of the '83 crash and people weren't buying video games.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I've heard that it was one of the reasons that stores stocked their products by allowing them to position the NES as a toy and not a video game system.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Drakkel posted:

That said, wasn't ROB one of the big reasons that the NES succeeded in the US? Because it allowed Nintendo to market it as a robot toy that just happened to come with a game, since they were in the wake of the '83 crash and people weren't buying video games.
Wikipedia seems to think so, and I agree. I was eight when R.O.B. hit the market here in the States. I remember the marketing (via commercials, in-store displays, and Nintendo Power) being pretty pervasive, and they did the best they could to make that robot look awesome. Yet I never knew anybody who had one. I imagine the playground was rife not only with rumors of jumping over flagpoles, but also of R.O.B. being a major letdown. Thank goodness Nintendo had more going for it than that lousy thing!

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

I've also heard that the boring gray box design of the NES was intentional, so that it'd fit in with all the other giant boxy 1980's electronics on peoples entertainment stands. That way they wouldn't be embarrassed to have a video game machine in the living room.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Drakkel posted:

I've also heard that the boring gray box design of the NES was intentional, so that it'd fit in with all the other giant boxy 1980's electronics on peoples entertainment stands. That way they wouldn't be embarrassed to have a video game machine in the living room.

They were going with a VCR-feel to it, since the top-loading Atari was the poster child for video game systems (and was associated with the crash). Calling the NES games Paks instead of cartridges, calling it the Nintendo Entertainment System instead of using game or console or whatever in the name, calling the light gun a Zapper and making it look all 80's futuristic. All of that was the work of the only marketing person that NOA hired in the beginning, all of it was her idea (can't remember her name off hand). I think I remember reading all of that in a book called "Power-Up: How Japanese video games gave the industry a second life" or the like. It was a drat good read too.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I sometimes wonder how things would have gone if they had run with the "It's not a video game console, it's a computer!" direction of their first prototype, the Advanced Video System.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
80's Nintendo was pretty cool when I was a boy. While it makes sense as to why they don't do some of the things they did then, now, like a live action Mario Brother's Show, but as a kid I ate that poo poo up -- literally if you include those NES half cereal boxes. As I grew up, so did Nintendo, and they eventually stopped doing the Saturday morning cartoon shows, pulling the reins back on Mario products & placements over time.

It worked drat well from a marketing point of view to aim it at children.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Mayor McCheese posted:

80's Nintendo was pretty cool when I was a boy. While it makes sense as to why they don't do some of the things they did then, now, like a live action Mario Brother's Show, but as a kid I ate that poo poo up -- literally if you include those NES half cereal boxes. As I grew up, so did Nintendo, and they eventually stopped doing the Saturday morning cartoon shows, pulling the reins back on Mario products & placements over time.

It worked drat well from a marketing point of view to aim it at children.

They still have their Saturday morning cartoon and billion licensed products, it's just that Pokemon is their flagship child-targeted franchise now.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Oh drat you're right. I always neglect Pokemon because I was a bit older when it came out. When I hear or read Nintendo my mind wanders to Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong. drat kids and your Pokey-mons :argh:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So, in the latest episode translated, when they're talking to Arino about his 40th birthday live broadcast, there's a white sticker on the window that I've never noticed before. The white triangle, looks like a warning of some sort? What is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Pretty sure they mentioned that it's some sort of fire escape in a previous episode.