Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I just joined a lobby with someone whose N7 was 12,772. :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I just don't get it. I usually run SalInf with a claymore and the cloak + one shot flash damage is never enough to justify him for me.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

If you have a Wraith, I find that works much better on a Salarian Infiltrator than a Claymore.
Or learn how to reload cancel the Claymore and do literally double the damage over time a Wraith can put out. To do this, take note of how your ammo count gets refilled before the animation finishes. If you use any ability at this time (on the PC, binding the medigel button to something accessible makes this easy), the animation cancels and you can immediately fire your weapon again.

Alternatively, use the Piranha for easymode. :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is Rio considered a bad map or something? I've yet to actually have a bad game on it and it looks pretty awesome, but the one time when I switched the map to Rio a random said "one of the worst maps in the game" and left, followed by another random.

Granted, it was gold and I've never tried gold on it before, but even so that seemed weird. For me London is the worst map without a doubt, and Ghost kinda sucks too.
It is a bad map if people suck. On bronze and silver everyone camps out in the middle because its all brightly lit and has great sightlines and two ammo boxes. Thing is, that place will get you shredded so fast it isn't funny on Gold. And since people are dumb, they don't ever reevaluate that and say "bad map" and call it a day. Rio is an awesome map.

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
I was going to respond to the Infiltrator subject, but then I remembered I suck at Infiltrator. It made me think about one of the perks of Infiltrators though, which is being able to reposition more reliably than most classes.

Given a team of pubbies, one player leaves the group and wanders off to fight enemies on their own. Assume a group of enemies now stands between you and the straggler.

Do you make an effort to get to their position (Cloaking, Charging, taking a longer route) and split the team into two sets of two? Or do you stick with the pack and keep a solid group of 3 going, letting the pubbie get picked off like a wildebeest with a broken leg?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
For the Fury, should I go 6/6/6/5/3 or 6/6/6/4/4? That extra power damage is tempting, but the class isn't terribly durable to begin with. On the nice side, I got my first non-missile launcher-based killstreak by running into a bunch of Cerberus troopers on Reactor and apparently simultaneously detonating all of them.

Also, after weeks of hoping to get an upgrade to my SR piercing mod, I got them in two PSPs in a row, bringing it up to level 4. My SalInf now runs a murdertrain on pyros and guardians.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Depends what kind of Infiltrator.

If you're running as a Sniper Infiltrator, then just do what a Nemesis does. Seriously. Get a decent distance between you and the nearest clump of enemies (but not so far away that there's no way anyone can rez you if you die), hide behind cover and flank the attackers. Run away in a curving path if threatened directly (well, except Nemeses can't cloak, you can). On balance you probably want Duration Cloak.

If you're playing a Shotgun Infiltrator then just tap Cloak, then Prox Mine or Energy drain before attacking. Cloak, Prox, Shoot (repeat until off cooldown), Cloak, Prox, Shoot, repeat as necessary. DPS through the roof. Prioritise either trash or stragglers, because you are not a tank (you can comfortably take out most boss enemies if you know what you're doing, but you can't do it if you're getting shot in the back). Damage Cloak will give you a big bonus, but you might still want to go for Duration Cloak, because a good invisible ambulance or cloaked cap4 runner can turn the tide of a match. I've played a games where I was scraping people off the floor nonstop, but they didn't run too far away and that let me keep them in the fight.

Obviously if you're rezzing someone then that means there's probably something dangerous nearby. Once you've revived them then book it the gently caress out of there, if your beneficiary has any sense he'll do the same.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Mr Dog posted:

Obviously if you're rezzing someone then that means there's probably something dangerous nearby. Once you've revived them then book it the gently caress out of there, if your beneficiary has any sense he'll do the same.

I've wondered some of the times on rez, on the odd occasion I get downed again before I can get to a better position, if it would've been better to stand and fight, and take some of them down. Maybe the remainder wouldn't be able to take me down before I could get away or take them down as well. Then I realize that I got killed in that position last time when there were likely fewer enemies that could hit me (as they tend to sort of flow over your position to get at your other teammates) and I was already fighting. Also that if I do get downed again I at least want it to be as far away from the enemies as possible so they have an easier time picking my rear end back up again instead of having to wade into 3 ravagers or something (which hopefully they wouldn't even do).

Moral of the story: I definitely agree that unless someone's cleared the room before getting you up, always run. If you're not sure, run directly toward your rescuer. He should know where's safe to run or whether it's safe to stand and fight, and even if he doesn't he's probably gonna need you to pick him up this time. Which leads to the buddy system.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
I was going to write a kinda smug post earlier about how I've only lost connection from the EA servers twice since I started playing in February, and what the hell are you guys talking about its fine :smug:

I cant really do that now after disconnecting five times in the space of an hour. Legit getting a bit annoyed as I've made barely any progress. Seriously what the hell.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I've only disconnected (besides when they do maintenance that I'm aware of) a few times, and I can count on one hand how many times I've crashed. I thought it was because I live in the US but now I consider myself lucky. Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself--I come back from vacation tomorrow, and I'm hoping I can still get on and game a little without any hitches.

Speaking of which, since I haven't been able to play ME3 since two weeks ago due to vacation, I can still just contact EA Customer Support online and get my Commendation Pack that way? Even if I'm on the 360?

Edit: also, my N7 rating is 660 right now. I skipped the "cool" numbers (300, 420, etc.) because I didn't care about it but now I'd like to have a "cool" number if I have to promote for another weekend op or other reason. Which "cool" multiple of 30 should I aim for? I was gonna go for a Halo-ey 1170 but I don't know if there's a three-digit number I skipped that might be fun to have.

kalel fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 27, 2012

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Paracelsus posted:

For the Fury, should I go 6/6/6/5/3 or 6/6/6/4/4? That extra power damage is tempting, but the class isn't terribly durable to begin with. On the nice side, I got my first non-missile launcher-based killstreak by running into a bunch of Cerberus troopers on Reactor and apparently simultaneously detonating all of them.

Also, after weeks of hoping to get an upgrade to my SR piercing mod, I got them in two PSPs in a row, bringing it up to level 4. My SalInf now runs a murdertrain on pyros and guardians.

I can't speak for platinum, but I'm a glass cannon proponent for the fury, so max that damage output. You are definitely on the fragile side, but if you play smart (i.e. you don't have to prime everything with AF) then you'll have a blast detonating BE after BE.

Refused
Sep 6, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

I dunno how smart it really is, but I go 6/6/6/0/6 for the Fury and like it.

I don't care much about weapon damage and weight since I'm constantly using powers; I spam the Tempest with piercing mod between powers, and it does what it needs to while keeping CD at 200%. The little power damage boost is nice, but doesn't apply to explosions, which is where most of my damage comes from. The extra fitness means I can play even more aggressively.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Refused posted:

I dunno how smart it really is, but I go 6/6/6/0/6 for the Fury and like it.

I don't care much about weapon damage and weight since I'm constantly using powers; I spam the Tempest with piercing mod between powers, and it does what it needs to while keeping CD at 200%. The little power damage boost is nice, but doesn't apply to explosions, which is where most of my damage comes from. The extra fitness means I can play even more aggressively.

I've always wanted to try that kind of build with my Drell Adept, but reset cards have been so drat rare for me. Now I've got a full bank of 3 cards and I've just promoted all of my classes so I can give it a shot on the weekend.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
They really need to offer a pack with a guaranteed ultra-rare, I've maxed out nearly everything and now all I get are the lvl4 consumables.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Still trying to get any of the four N7s I don't have.

I got one but it was another Slayer :negative:

At least while I'm trying to do that I've found out how absolutely ridiculous the Reegar is on Krogan Soldier. When I tried it on N7 Fury it seemed too gimmicky to be worth it, but now I'm just running up to absolutely any enemy on Gold short of a turret and melting it in moments. If it survives by a fraction I just headbutt it against the wall. Geth Primes, Atlases and Banshees' shields/barriers go down in one quick spray and then I carry another weapon to deal with the armor. Still trying to find a good one for that though.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The Reegar is just flat-out ridiculous. All of the guns I put in the top tier of my little list are capable of carrying almost any character build.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

This game has given me more ex-Cerberus classes than N7s lately. I want the Destroyer, drat it! And alternate colors for the Paladin!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Edit: also, my N7 rating is 660 right now. I skipped the "cool" numbers (300, 420, etc.) because I didn't care about it but now I'd like to have a "cool" number if I have to promote for another weekend op or other reason. Which "cool" multiple of 30 should I aim for? I was gonna go for a Halo-ey 1170 but I don't know if there's a three-digit number I skipped that might be fun to have.

I left mine at 720 for a long while and though it was a nice number.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Normally I only play platinum farming if the group is set up for biotic explosions, but since the pickings were slim tonight, I played as a Justicar with three Destroyers for the hell of it. I'm now a full believer in the N7 Piranha.

I do have to wonder, did my area reave really give me the 33k more points via assists than the third place guy, or were they just not very good?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Going back to the Rio talk, I love Rio specifically because it has multiple crates that give 2, 3, and I want to say one that even gives 4 grenades.

It's a miracle for my vorcha sentinel and my quariman engineer.

Edit: ^^^

Kill bonuses are pretty absurdly high if you do even a noticeable amount of damage before it dies, so you must have been either doing the vast (like ~90%+) majority of the damage or actually getting the kills to score that much higher.

Either way, you win.

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 27, 2012

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

At least while I'm trying to do that I've found out how absolutely ridiculous the Reegar is on Krogan Soldier. When I tried it on N7 Fury it seemed too gimmicky to be worth it, but now I'm just running up to absolutely any enemy on Gold short of a turret and melting it in moments. If it survives by a fraction I just headbutt it against the wall. Geth Primes, Atlases and Banshees' shields/barriers go down in one quick spray and then I carry another weapon to deal with the armor. Still trying to find a good one for that though.

The answer to armour is a piercing mod on a Reegar or a Piranha. Also warp/AP/incendiary ammo, if you have it.

There aren't any weapons that have a huge advantage against armour, just weapons that are noticeably worse. Automatic weapons without piercing mods are the obvious example, but the weaker shotguns also don't do to well. Thus to deal with armour, the most important thing is tonnes of damage. The Reegar suffers a lot against armour (the Piranha less so), but it does so much damage it still comes out ahead of most weapons.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Elotana posted:

The Reegar is just flat-out ridiculous. All of the guns I put in the top tier of my little list are capable of carrying almost any character build.

Your list made me chuckle, snort and various other nerd noises.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Put incendiary ammo 3 or 4 on the reegar and it can be that other weapon too.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grtk4vEVa9I

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 27, 2012

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Out of interest, what were they playing? Please say it was wall-to-wall human adepts.

Fury is pretty drat good, man. Not a top-tier class (we should work out a class-list) but very much up there.

Yeah I meant the slayer, whoops.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Yeah I meant the slayer, whoops.

Now I'm just being a dick, but the Slayer rules too

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Synonamess Botch posted:

Now I'm just being a dick, but the Slayer rules too

Here's my problem with the slayer: The Phase Disruptor is loving terrible, probably one of the worst abilities in the game, and the only time I really tried out the class I found that using the charge was a good recipe for just randomly dying because hey you charged into a Phantom's Sword or a Brute's Claw and you inexplicably aren't invincible aghhh gently caress this class

If that actually isn't something that happens all the time it might not be so bad though!

edit: I had the same problem randomly dying while charging with the N7 Shadow's sword charge thing (only much worse) so maybe it was just a lag issue or something though.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The Phase Disruptor is loving terrible, probably one of the worst abilities in the game,

Yup, there's your problem

(Phase Disruptor is awesome)

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Maybe it was because of the operation this weekend, but I had some of my worst luck ever with disconnects. I stopped using amps/ammo because I kept wasting so many of them and started running really low on medigel because of all the lost credits.

That said, one of the times when I desynced with the Slayer it made me invincible as I rained down phase disruptors and biotic slashes from the heavens at phantoms and atlases. It probably single-handedly saved us during a particularly fraught wave 10 hack.

Also, not sure if bug/bad luck/connection problems but there was another game with a wave 10 hack where the bar looked like it had filled up completely when a phantom sync killed my last remaining teammate and an atlas hit me with a rocket. I used my last medigel to revive and charged/kited phantoms for 10 whole seconds before finally dying without the hack concluding.

jpmeyer fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 27, 2012

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Here's my problem with the slayer: The Phase Disruptor is loving terrible, probably one of the worst abilities in the game
:cmon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XexjmLnZUI

Ugh I hate being able to stagger everything in the game 4x per second gently caress THIS poo poo

Elotana fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 27, 2012

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
I really like the slayer's heavy melee warp, but it took me several games to realize that it will drain your health if you have no barrier up. :downs:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
I seem to have a hard time hitting things with Phase Disruptor some of the time. Should I have taken the AoE evolution instead of +30% damage?

Also yeah, I've been getting murdered after charge reaches the target but before it resolves/shields refill a lot. poo poo sucks. I can top-score Silver, but don't do well on Gold. A lot of the time, something comes up from the side/behind and shoots me twice, killing me because I just used Phase Disruptor twice.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

LogicNinja posted:

I seem to have a hard time hitting things with Phase Disruptor some of the time. Should I have taken the AoE evolution instead of +30% damage?

Also yeah, I've been getting murdered after charge reaches the target but before it resolves/shields refill a lot. poo poo sucks. I can top-score Silver, but don't do well on Gold. A lot of the time, something comes up from the side/behind and shoots me twice, killing me because I just used Phase Disruptor twice.
The key is to aim at floors or walls unless you're sniping stuff from almost across the map. Also, if you're just learning Gold with it, backflip after charging more and only PD 1-2 times instead of 2-3 times until you can judge hectic situations better.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

LogicNinja posted:

I went damage simply because the splash damage is usually enough. You should be aiming toward floors and walls nearby, even though I think it is hitscan it will not lock onto enemies. Situational awareness is important but not important as Always Be Hosting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Did you take radius charge or damage/force charge for your phase disruptor party?

I'll give it a try I guess, I basically don't use my Slayer now at all.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#55RRKFE@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

The only things in that build mandatory for a Phaseguard are the bottom row of Charge and Efficient Blast. Everything else, including weapons, is a matter of taste. I've done okay skipping Slash and going full melee as long as it's not against Geth, his heavy melee will warp you through walls and around cover for all kinds of badass decapitations.

Oh, and you'll also need these to play Vanguard on Gold.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 27, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I only tell other people not to Vanguard on Gold :c00l:

Once I get my Vanguard back to 20 I'll give that a shot. Just realized I promoted for the weekend so I think it's ... 12? 14? not high enough.

also I know people love Krogan Vanguard but frankly I die more often as a Krogan tank of hp than I do as a novaguard because everything dies with the application of charge/nova whereas krogan melee only kills one thing at a time. VERY INEFFICIENT

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I've just gone three rounds without my consumables being consumed... this happen to anyone before?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Elotana posted:

:cmon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XexjmLnZUI

Ugh I hate being able to stagger everything in the game 4x per second gently caress THIS poo poo

It doesn't target, it's slow, it doesn't do much damage, and it drains your shields. Hell yeah. I'm sure it does fine if you're just speed running and crushing spawn points, but then you should just be going batarian and inferno grenading/punching everything anyway :colbert:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It doesn't target, it's slow, it doesn't do much damage, and it drains your shields. Hell yeah. I'm sure it does fine if you're just speed running and crushing spawn points, but then you should just be going batarian and inferno grenading/punching everything anyway :colbert:
That wasn't a speed run, just a vanilla pub game with a goon and two randoms. Condolences on being bad at video games I guess I'll be over here outscoring GIs :smug:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The shield drain doesn't matter so much since you can charge and refill them again. You can get a nice rhythm going by shooting your handcannon and then charging and heavy melee-ing to finish enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Elotana posted:

That wasn't a speed run, just a vanilla pub game with a goon and two randoms. Condolences on being bad at video games I guess I'll be over here outscoring GIs :smug:

I agree and my only critique of your video is that you spent a few seconds doing the objective when you should have bypassed the hack zone completely and went straight for the spawn. That mistake cost you 2000+ points easily.

• Locked thread