Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Summertime - 2001 Camaro Z28

Rest of the time - 2007 Grand Prix GT (Supercharged)

Both are fast, fun, and are the only two domestic vehicles in my entire apartment complex :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1974 RX-4, just bought it this week.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
97 E420

2004 E55

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Is it just me, or are those previous-generation Hyundai Sonata taillights?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They are. Another example of this stuff would be the Lamborgini Diablo having 300zx head lights or the McLaren F1 having VW Corrado side mirrors. It happens.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Steering and brake hydraulics are on the same pump? Who thought THAT was a good idea? I might be retarded, but I'd rather have separate systems, so a brake failure won't also take out my steering or vice versa. If I can't stop at least I want to be able to dodge...

GM uses a system called Hydroboost that uses power steering pressure for brake assist on lots of cars and trucks, particularly diesel trucks. My wife's Astro van had it for space reasons, and we never had any trouble out of it. Ford uses it, too.
In fact, I believe that Hydroboost showed up in the turbo Buick Regals back in the '80s.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Darchangel posted:

GM uses a system called Hydroboost that uses power steering pressure for brake assist on lots of cars and trucks, particularly diesel trucks. My wife's Astro van had it for space reasons, and we never had any trouble out of it. Ford uses it, too.
In fact, I believe that Hydroboost showed up in the turbo Buick Regals back in the '80s.

true, but don't you still get brake function (albeit with no power assist) if the unit goes bad, like a vacuum booster? The old bendix ABS system used on the XJs and (from what Goober Peas said, anyways, I might be misunderstanding it) the similar system used on older Audis has a nitrogen charged reservoir and an electric hydro pump plus a large amount of goofy valve crap and other stuff to make it all work with the ABS system, and if your hydro pump fails, you get what amounts to a semi random number of brake applications before the pedal simply goes to the floor and you don't stop. I know that's what happens on the Jeeps, just not sure on the Audis. It's essentially a game of automobile russian roulette and even better, the hydro pump is known for failing frequently, while apparently the "bomb" or nitro-charged reservoir on the Audis is also known for failing frequently.

The Jeep setup was put on an extended warranty after a large number of them failed, but that doesn't do you much good if it pops and sends you to a firey death. Here, have another failure prone part to replace the one that failed!

I guess I really should stop derailing and post some pics of this junk to the horrible failures thread.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

Professor Bling posted:

Now that's a keeper. :golfclap:

How's it run? And if it's not too much to ask, how much was it?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Professor Bling posted:

I need one of these in my life.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

true, but don't you still get brake function (albeit with no power assist) if the unit goes bad, like a vacuum booster? The old bendix ABS system used on the XJs and (from what Goober Peas said, anyways, I might be misunderstanding it) the similar system used on older Audis has a nitrogen charged reservoir and an electric hydro pump plus a large amount of goofy valve crap and other stuff to make it all work with the ABS system, and if your hydro pump fails, you get what amounts to a semi random number of brake applications before the pedal simply goes to the floor and you don't stop. I know that's what happens on the Jeeps, just not sure on the Audis. It's essentially a game of automobile russian roulette and even better, the hydro pump is known for failing frequently, while apparently the "bomb" or nitro-charged reservoir on the Audis is also known for failing frequently.

The Jeep setup was put on an extended warranty after a large number of them failed, but that doesn't do you much good if it pops and sends you to a firey death. Here, have another failure prone part to replace the one that failed!

I guess I really should stop derailing and post some pics of this junk to the horrible failures thread.

What fuckwit would design a brake system that flat out fails if the power-assist doesn't work? That's not only stupid, but a lawsuit waiting to happen.
And, yes, the Hydroboost act just like a vacuum-assisted system if the hydraulic pressure fails/pump dies,, whatever. Stiff, but it still brakes.

Edit - wrong images thread.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
Parked behind a giant wiener while on vacation in Newport, RI last week.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Priss In Plate posted:

Now that's a keeper. :golfclap:

How's it run? And if it's not too much to ask, how much was it?

Runs decent, has a bit of a problem with low idle after it gets warmed up, but the real issue is the surprise cooling problem (either the thermostat's borked or the rad's gone bad). Analog clock in the dash still works, though! As does the cigarette lighter. Automatic, which I don't prefer but am okay with, but original paint and interior, and only 66k on the clock :)

I dropped $4000 on it, probably wouldn't have gone so high had I known about the cooling issue but it didn't come up on the test drive, just the very hilly drive back.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

Steering and brake hydraulics are on the same pump? Who thought THAT was a good idea? I might be retarded, but I'd rather have separate systems, so a brake failure won't also take out my steering or vice versa. If I can't stop at least I want to be able to dodge...

Try driving an old Citron with hydropneumatic suspension sometime. Power steering, brakes and suspension all run on the same hydraulic system.

It wasn't until the C5 in 2001 that they went to separate braking and power steering systems.

They may have been quirky, but boy could those Citrons stop!

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 27, 2012

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!

kastein posted:

you get what amounts to a semi random number of brake applications before the pedal simply goes to the floor and you don't stop.

All cars made in North America are mandated to have a direct mechanical link between the drivers foot and the brake system in case the "assist" part fails, which amounts to a super stiff pedal.

EDIT:

Content, my 89 Supra

Zuiko-Digital fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 27, 2012

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Zuiko-Digital posted:

All cars made in North America are mandated to have a direct mechanical link between the drivers foot and the brake system in case the "assist" part fails, which amounts to a super stiff pedal.

EDIT:

Content, my 89 Supra

Holy poo poo. I've never noticed MKIIIs have such awesome dashes.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Had this car about a month now, only just getting round to posting it in here. I fell in love with the little thing when I drove one at Goodwood about three years ago, so knew it would only be a matter of time. Only two years old, great condition, full dealer warranty etc, and I love it. :)

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Hey, Whats the pod? My father just got a 500 twin-air and the only option they offer here is sat-nav for $600 bucks.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
As a proud owner of my very first car, I shall dedicate this picture.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

tobu posted:

Hey, Whats the pod? My father just got a 500 twin-air and the only option they offer here is sat-nav for $600 bucks.

Turbo pressure gauge and shift light. I think they're located on the bottom left side of the wheel in the US versions.

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

primelaw posted:

Is the car's mileage too shameful to mention?

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

Gorillian Dollars posted:

Is the car's mileage too shameful to mention?

It's not that bad. 20 City/28 Highway. I pretty much only drive on the highway to work/college anyways and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than driving the Ford Explorer I was driving everyday.

EDIT: Has about 107,000 miles on it.

primelaw fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 29, 2012

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I think the question was: how many miles are on the car?

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

primelaw posted:

That thing right there isn't just a car, that is what freedom looks like :patriot:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

VolumeOverTalent posted:

Turbo pressure gauge and shift light. I think they're located on the bottom left side of the wheel in the US versions.

Hmmm, The twin-air has a turbo on its 875 cc I2. - I wonder if it's compatible. Fiat Australia though doesn't actually appear to be awake because we cannot find anyone who wants to sell us stuff for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

primelaw posted:

Congrats man! The first car is always special.

Just don't cover it in stick-on crap from Auto Zone and you'll be fine!

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

Rhyno posted:

Or if you do, slap a "Go Fast!" sticker on the rear and proceed to drive like you are 90 years old on the left lane blocking everyone else.

EDIT: Paint it red with flames for extra imaginary horsepower!

Gorillian Dollars fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 30, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Congrats man! The first car is always special.

Bullshit, if he adds a Type-R badge or some racing stripes, that is at least 15 extra HP right there :colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

movax posted:

Bullshit, if he adds a Type-R badge or some racing stripes, that is at least 15 extra HP right there :colbert:

if it ain't a type R it ain't a tight car

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
First cars always get the best stories. :allears:

My first car I have never owned in the winter, and bought and sold 3 separate times for 3 different prices. Good luck!

Current beater.

97 Maxima. At lest its a 5 speed.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 30, 2012

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Not mine directly, but my brother just bought what appears to be a nearly rust-free 5-speed 1988 Subaru GL wagon, in Alaska no less. I'm more than a little bit jealous.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

The Third Man posted:

Not mine directly, but my brother just bought what appears to be a nearly rust-free 5-speed 1988 Subaru GL wagon, in Alaska no less. I'm more than a little bit jealous.

With NY plates?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks like NY plates at first glance, but isn't. NY plates have a dark blue or black section at the top.

NY:

AK:

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 30, 2012

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Let me know if this is too much of a photo bomb. My car is finally back from the paint shop.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

There is no such thing as too much of a pretty 80s monte carlo. Those cars had some 80's badass class.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not enough of a photo bomb.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
That car is loving awesome.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kastein posted:

Not enough of a photo bomb.
It's this. This is the problem.

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!
Here's some photos I took while I made a kijiji ad for it :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Here's some photos I took while I made a kijiji ad for it :(
That car looks so good, I hate how a lot of cars in the 90s started throwing curves everywhere. Ill take an 80s supra over a 90s anyday. Any chance we can get a link to the ad? Just curious how much youre asking for.

edit: Im sorry you might have to sell it. Ill pay you to let me drive it for 2 years instead of storing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!

Cage posted:

That car looks so good, I hate how a lot of cars in the 90s started throwing curves everywhere. Ill take an 80s supra over a 90s anyday. Any chance we can get a link to the ad? Just curious how much youre asking for.

edit: Im sorry you might have to sell it. Ill pay you to let me drive it for 2 years instead of storing it.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1989-Toyota-Supra-Turbo-Targa-Red-with-Grey-interior-W0QQAdIdZ409354655

Reason I'm asking so much is due to my attachment to it, if I can't get close to what I'm asking, then I'll just store it and deal with the problems 2 years down the road.