Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

The Machine posted:

So, hey, gently caress Blightown.

Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo as well. At least until I've ran through them enough that I could do it blindfolded. I feel like this is how it is with Souls games. I used to hate the Depths and Blighttown, but they're pretty alright now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

apophenium posted:

Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo as well. At least until I've ran through them enough that I could do it blindfolded. I feel like this is how it is with Souls games. I used to hate the Depths and Blighttown, but they're pretty alright now.

Blighttown is a loving joy compared to Lost Izalith and Tomb of Giants.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

Goddammitt I was farming the Depths as SL35 for some large shards and I got cursed by those loving frogs for the first time and then died on the way back to my stain. I lost 35k in souls and 3 liquid humanity. gently caress! And then it took me about 15 minutes of tense farming to get the 6k needed for a curse stone.

Lost like 45k Souls and 11 Humanity to the Capra Demon because I thought I should take the route with the Dragon :downs:. I wasn't using any of it anyway, I didn't want to SL up anymore and I can't buy large titanite shards yet, all my stuff is upgraded as far as titanite shards can go.

The hell are you supposed to do in that situation? I guess all that balder farming got me bloated with souls.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Yo, someone running DSfix: please post the Darkwraith armour set now that we can actually see the details.

Also all the armour sets.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

The Quake posted:

Lost like 45k Souls and 11 Humanity to the Capra Demon because I thought I should take the route with the Dragon :downs:. I wasn't using any of it anyway, I didn't want to SL up anymore and I can't buy large titanite shards yet, all my stuff is upgraded as far as titanite shards can go.

The hell are you supposed to do in that situation? I guess all that balder farming got me bloated with souls.

If you ever have excess souls and don't know what to spend them on, buy consumables. Black firebombs, Lightning/Fire resins, Grass, Moss Clumps, etc. You can never have too much of that stuff.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

- I choose a starting class that says "you can shoot fireballs"
- I have fireballs in my spell slot
- Game throws a huge fuckoff enemy (that you are actually supposed to escape first, but when you approach the message he spawns and it's kind of risky to read it)
- Hilt is ineffective, let me cast... oh

I come back and this explains a lot.

Welp! That's the Souls series for you. In Demon's, you're expected to be killed by the tutorial demon. In Dark, you're supposed to run away through the doorway to the side.

Don't be discouraged, now!

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Even though I've played this game before I thought Chaos Servants were a PvP guild for some reason. If I join another covenant will I turn into an egghead? Will they attack me later when I teleport there if I don't absolve through Oswald?

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
Anybody in Anor Londo that can give a SL52 a hand with O&S? I'm in front of the boss door.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

If multiplayer is working for you, 35k souls and 3 liquid humanity is about 10 minutes of assisting at Quelaag.

Not that far in Blighttown yet, but I think I'll get there tonight. And yes, the multiplayer is working for me.

The Quake posted:

Yeah, I wasn't using any of my souls or humanity, either. It was just stock piling. Next time I'll just dump all my excess into consumables. I don't want to soul level much more until I'm out of Blighttown so I can still get summoned.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
Fuuuuck managed to get someone summoned (along with Sunbro) then when the second boss had a sliver of health left, we all died. That was my last humanity. gently caress. :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Does (DLC spoilers) Sif not appear in the Chasm if you've killed him in the future already? I saw Alvina warping around but I hunted everywhere in the Chasm and never saw Sif.

Also the boss souls are used for Guardian: nothing apart from using, Artorias: giving to Ciaran or forging the Abyss Greatsword, and Manus: making the Manus Catalyst, and that's it, right?

I just have the feeling like I missed something despite defeating all the bosses and looting every area entirely (to the best of my knowledge).

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Does (DLC spoilers) Sif not appear in the Chasm if you've killed him in the future already? I saw Alvina warping around but I hunted everywhere in the Chasm and never saw Sif.

Also the boss souls are used for Guardian: nothing apart from using, Artorias: giving to Ciaran or forging the Abyss Greatsword, and Manus: making the Manus Catalyst, and that's it, right?

I just have the feeling like I missed something despite defeating all the bosses and looting every area entirely (to the best of my knowledge).

You can trade the Manus soul to snuggly for a new spell too.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Thanks to Shima Honnou and Montel Williams (vvvvv that guy)! That was lauhgably easy in comparison.

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 28, 2012

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Azraden posted:

Fuuuuck managed to get someone summoned (along with Sunbro) then when the second boss had a sliver of health left, we all died. That was my last humanity. gently caress. :(

I'm available to help whenever you get more humanity, got a sign up in front already even.

Also submarine I am montel williams.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Is there any tangible benefit to dual wielding a weapon?

I picked up two Balder Side Swords yesterday while farming up enough souls to buy the medallion from Andrei. I just finished some tests while wielding the two swords (repeatedly killing the Hallowed enemies between Firelink and the Undead Burg) and I can't really tell if it's effective or not. Honestly, I'm unsure if my character is even swinging both swords. Actually, about the only thing I am sure of is that a sword makes for a fairly poor shield against the most basic enemies in the game! :v:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
You'd think after struggling with the Crystal Cave back on the PS3 version I'd remember to take it SLOW and NOT WALK ON ANYTHING THAT HAS A SLANT.

But no, apparently old habits die hard, and my character just plain old dies.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

So Blight town has become a personal limbo for me. Me and a sunbro got tossed of a ledge near the beginning. Next try discovered the wonderful skinless dog things that cooked me in my suit. Next coop try I made to the bonfire but it didn't activate which leads to my cursing as I die due to being mobbed by an army of bugs near a ladder. There's more blood stains of me in this area than any others and I'm not seeing any summon signs, saw only 2 near the snipping point for the big dudes(orcs?) which both failed to summon.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Oh man, twice now tonight I've traveled from the Blighttown shortcut to the Londo Ruins and fell into the Firelink elevator. That'll leave a fun bloodstain. Despite killing Quelaag on my second attempt and getting a black knight shield, this is not my best night.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
:edit: finally beat him, with the firebomb tricking helping a ton.

Last King fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 29, 2012

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Literally every time I've been summoned tonight (and it wasn't very often), the host has used the joy gesture. People are really struggling to get co-op going.

Finally finished the DLC. I didn't find it quite as difficult as I was lead to believe but it was a very fun three or so hours and I'm still missing a few things. Two questions: I picked up three spells and one pyromancy - that's it for the magic you can pick up, right? Can anyone tell me the Int requirement on the Manus catalyst too? Bit of a lazy question, sorry. I'm yet to find the dragon either but I know I'm missing some sort of area in the township

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

SourceElement posted:

Is there any tangible benefit to dual wielding a weapon?

I picked up two Balder Side Swords yesterday while farming up enough souls to buy the medallion from Andrei. I just finished some tests while wielding the two swords (repeatedly killing the Hallowed enemies between Firelink and the Undead Burg) and I can't really tell if it's effective or not. Honestly, I'm unsure if my character is even swinging both swords. Actually, about the only thing I am sure of is that a sword makes for a fairly poor shield against the most basic enemies in the game! :v:

I'm pretty sure that there are some weapons that are supposed to have long parry windows and so are often used in the left hand (e.g. parrying dagger). In general I think DW builds often rely on how well you can parry. Probably rough going against magic and arrows though.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Huh, I just got a Channeler's Trident off the channeler in the Depths. Guess I can check that off the list. :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Starks posted:

I'm pretty sure that there are some weapons that are supposed to have long parry windows and so are often used in the left hand (e.g. parrying dagger). In general I think DW builds often rely on how well you can parry. Probably rough going against magic and arrows though.

Welp! I suck at parrying, so back to the halberd/shield combo for me until something better comes along. Thanks!

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Quixotic1 posted:

So Blight town has become a personal limbo for me. Me and a sunbro got tossed of a ledge near the beginning. Next try discovered the wonderful skinless dog things that cooked me in my suit. Next coop try I made to the bonfire but it didn't activate which leads to my cursing as I die due to being mobbed by an army of bugs near a ladder. There's more blood stains of me in this area than any others and I'm not seeing any summon signs, saw only 2 near the snipping point for the big dudes(orcs?) which both failed to summon.

I hate those loving dogs. It's like getting mauled by a skinless beagle. They are so much smaller than their ferocity and damage output would suggest.

You don't see summon signs in blight town much. I've done it before and it's fun, but most people seem to be more averse to the idea of falling than I am. loving around as a phantom is the best time to do it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So seriously though, are you stuck on the same server for life now? I'm definitely on the same server as I was yesterday (judging from the orange messages) and it is pretty slim pickings in Anor Londo.

edit: I soloed the entrance to the castle for the first time though. I ended up luring the right archer down the path I came from, so there was a pillar between us and the left archer. I should have thought of that a long time ago.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 28, 2012

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Underwhelmed posted:

You don't see summon signs in blight town much. I've done it before and it's fun, but most people seem to be more averse to the idea of falling than I am. loving around as a phantom is the best time to do it.

The first time I did Sen's Fortress, before even going through once, I put down a summon sign for fun. I got summoned by a guy who seemed to already know what he was doing. Of course I didn't so I ended up getting owned by second group of pendulum axes. I put down another summon sign because I felt like an idiot, the same guy ended up summoning me again. I died in the same place.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

The Quake posted:

Took me 3 hours of farming yesterday and an hour and a half today to finally get it to drop. I had 2 balder shields drop and about 30+ assorted balder armor pieces.

That thing is rare? I've got 3 just on the way through the game...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Azraden posted:

Which one? If it's the bell gargoyles use pine resin, it wrecks their poo poo.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Well have fun playing the game wrong because of your spergy aversion to the correct control scheme.

This attitude is just annoying dude. I'd love to play this properly on a M&KB because it's my favorite way of playing games, simple as that. Since this is a PC release, the M&KB controls should be polished and playable.

But drat, I'm going away for five days now and I'll miss my Dark Souls. Since I got the framerate / graphics fixed I haven't played any other game. I've skipped gym for four days now, and yesterday I even dreamed about Havel one-shotting me :aaa: This game controls you

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
Hate me, on my mission to pick up the rusted iron ring and clear the asylum, I got both the dark knight shield and the sword.

It's great, I'm using a +9 zwei (soon +10, as soon as i find a few more large titanite) and the bk sword is just a tiny bit less powerful, it's gonna be a sight to behold once i get a hold of some upgrade materials for it.

I'm probably the only person that uses a kb/m successfully, it was tough at first but I'm used to it now; just have the catacombs to finish up then i'm off to londo, sl 55 or so, kinda overleveled I think but whatevs.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
^^^^ I'm using kb/m. It took a while to learn not to move the mouse when I'm locked unless I really want to switch targets, but it's otherwise just very barely useable. It could be a lot better, but the dudes who made the game clearly give zero shits about the people that play the game.

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

If multiplayer is working for you, 35k souls and 3 liquid humanity is about 10 minutes of assisting at Quelaag.

I'd like to try this, but I don't 100% understand what to do - go human, go to Quelaag's door, use the white chalk and hang around the area? Does it have more than one use or is this one of those pvp things where you get a taste and then have to play through another 50% of the game to do it again?

ThreeLeggedHyena
Jan 27, 2009

Verviticus posted:

^^^^ I'm using kb/m. It took a while to learn not to move the mouse when I'm locked unless I really want to switch targets, but it's otherwise just very barely useable. It could be a lot better, but the dudes who made the game clearly give zero shits about the people that play the game.

I'd like to try this, but I don't 100% understand what to do - go human, go to Quelaag's door, use the white chalk and hang around the area? Does it have more than one use or is this one of those pvp things where you get a taste and then have to play through another 50% of the game to do it again?

Probably better to put your mark by the bonfire in the swamp - most people tend to summon from there. The Soapstone is infinite uses, and you can put down a mark from hollow, no need to go human to go out, only to summon in.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So seriously though, are you stuck on the same server for life now? I'm definitely on the same server as I was yesterday (judging from the orange messages) and it is pretty slim pickings in Anor Londo.

No. Sometimes your server changes multiple times in one play session. Resting at a bonfire sometimes switches your server.

Edit: But that doesn't mean your orange messages will change. They are taken from a much broader spectrum of servers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stokes posted:

No. Your sometimes your server changes multiple times in one play session. Resting at a bonfire sometimes switches your server.
No, I have confirmed over and over and over again that it does not. Last night I desperately tried to change my server because the one I was on was completely lifeless. I rested at multiple bonfires, returned to the title screen, quit the game entirely, disconnected manually from GFWL, and even power cycled my router. Every time, there were the same small number of orange messages staring at me. Same as tonight.

^^^ wait, seriously? Well, so much for my experiments. I guess that means multiple servers are dead for co-op in anor londo.

edit: I had lots of success invading people's games, which means that players ARE out there, they're just all trying to solo it. Idiots.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 28, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It seems like the only way to test that would be to have another player watching for your summon sign.

Tetracell
Feb 16, 2008
My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice.

Skilleddk posted:

This attitude is just annoying dude. I'd love to play this properly on a M&KB because it's my favorite way of playing games, simple as that. Since this is a PC release, the M&KB controls should be polished and playable.

But drat, I'm going away for five days now and I'll miss my Dark Souls. Since I got the framerate / graphics fixed I haven't played any other game. I've skipped gym for four days now, and yesterday I even dreamed about Havel one-shotting me :aaa: This game controls you

You are using a machine capable of having all manner of crap plugged into it, whether they are gamepads or joysticks, steering wheels, controls for a dammed train, flight rudder pedals, throttles, etc. Lots of games are designed around one of those being available, and Dark Souls happens to be one of them. From Software / Namco have not hid their intentions of a gamepad being practically required since they announced they were porting the game if I remember right. While I understand the frustration over the controls considering other games such as Arkham City have great controls for KB/M while also most likely having been devleloped with a gamepad in mind, it's just not the case for DS. The constant complaints all over the Internet concerning the controls are far more annoying than anyone just saying to get a controller.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Hahaha I just made it all the way through Blighttown, out of the swamp up to the shortcut back to New Londo, headed back up to the bonfire only to fall down the elevator shaft because I didn't realize the elevator was at the top.

:darksouls:

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, I have confirmed over and over and over again that it does not. Last night I desperately tried to change my server because the one I was on was completely lifeless. I rested at multiple bonfires, returned to the title screen, quit the game entirely, disconnected manually from GFWL, and even power cycled my router. Every time, there were the same small number of orange messages staring at me. Same as tonight.

^^^ wait, seriously? Well, so much for my experiments. I guess that means multiple servers are dead for co-op in anor londo.

edit: I had lots of success invading people's games, which means that players ARE out there, they're just all trying to solo it. Idiots.

What level are you and where do you need a sign dropped, I can come be your bro.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Tetracell posted:

You are using a machine capable of having all manner of crap plugged into it, whether they are gamepads or joysticks, steering wheels, controls for a dammed train, flight rudder pedals, throttles, etc. Lots of games are designed around one of those being available, and Dark Souls happens to be one of them. From Software / Namco have not hid their intentions of a gamepad being practically required since they announced they were porting the game if I remember right. While I understand the frustration over the controls considering other games such as Arkham City have great controls for KB/M while also most likely having been devleloped with a gamepad in mind, it's just not the case for DS. The constant complaints all over the Internet concerning the controls are far more annoying than anyone just saying to get a controller.

Dark Souls is like a flight sim. Sure, you can do it on keyboard, but you're pretty much handicapping your own experience with the game.

New challenge run idea: SL3 sorcerer, mouse and keyboard only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I just invaded another hacker.

I kicked him off of a cliff. :smug:

• Locked thread