Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh god, has anybody else gotten to the Basilisk line in the Leviathan DLC yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
The first 5 commendation packs I got were all eagles.

The next 7 had 4 crusaders in them.

9 out of 12 pieces of crap for my efforts. And I promoted 6 classes this weekend ugh

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Is the game unplayable buggy for anyone else today? Two disconnections out of two games (both before wave 4) and two games that flat-out refused to let me join by sticking me on the loading screen for 5+ minutes until I task manager-ed out.
Yeah, but it has been that way for about 2 weeks. Constant and frequent disconnects, I don't even need to be in a match for it to happen. I've run the UO tool for the EA support guys multiple times, no packet loss, nothing obvious that jumps out.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Since I promoted my sentinels for the event, I decided to rebuild my Turian to see if the "everything but warp" build worked alright, as I haven't used it in ages. Yup, still good. Losing warp makes you less versatile and more dependent on gear and consumables, though.

Also, I have a question about the Paladin: energy drain primes and snap freeze detonates, and the lvl 6 combo evolution of snap freeze gives +100% to tech burst damage, right? It's kind of hard to tell if anything is happening, since tech explosions don't read well through the hissing noise and fog from snap freeze. But when I'm doing that combo, it's dishing out a ton of damage, right?

E:
Whoa, according to the Mass Effect wiki

snap freeze posted:

This ability behaves unlike most tech powers in regards to tech bursts; when used as the detonating power, the tech burst will detonate from your character's proximity rather than the enemy hit.

Can we get a :dice: smiley for Bioware?

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 29, 2012

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Was fully expecting either an Eagle II or a Valiant II, seeing as I've only been getting Hurricanes and Crusaders lately.

Crusader V. This should pair nicely with my Hurricane V.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My luck streak still seems to be going. The last PSP gave me Mattock V, pistol damage mod IV, the Claymore, and the Talon. The one right before it gave me Quarian Engineer which I've been wanting to use for a while, since my only other engineer is Salarian which doesn't look particularly interesting. Props to it for massively humiliating me by actually fooling me with the decoy once though. Also, after a round with another Salarian Engineer was over I still heard the decoy's footsteps periodically thumping around in the lobby, which went on for several minutes until the next game. It was truly disturbing, like there's some sort of horrible puppet that's haunting me so it can constantly jump in front of my aim.

Unrelated: I really hate how when enemies dodge, the chance for a projectile power to affect them is literally 0%, because it's less of them moving quickly to possibly avoid it and more the game just saying "this is arbitrarily calculated as a miss, try again fucker." I stood point blank in front of a phantom and shot Throw at it four times while it just continued to dodge repeatedly. One of them even hit it, which played the visual effect and sound, but didn't do any damage. Eventually my Dark Channel/Annihilation Field got it, but it's extremely irritating to have to rely on that when a single Throw is capable of one-shotting them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I got a Hurricane! What do I put it on first?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Unrelated: I really hate how when enemies dodge, the chance for a projectile power to affect them is literally 0%, because it's less of them moving quickly to possibly avoid it and more the game just saying "this is arbitrarily calculated as a miss, try again fucker." I stood point blank in front of a phantom and shot Throw at it four times while it just continued to dodge repeatedly. One of them even hit it, which played the visual effect and sound, but didn't do any damage. Eventually my Dark Channel/Annihilation Field got it, but it's extremely irritating to have to rely on that when a single Throw is capable of one-shotting them.

You sure she didn't have her Bullshit Bubble up at the time? Or maybe lag just making you think you hit her with it when you didn't?

Also, the decoy thing is why you always make you SalEng (and geth characters) blaze orange or something.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Weren't we guaranteed a Medigel Capacity upgrade in the Victory pack, even if we were previously maxed out at 5?

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

SalEng is an awesome class. Put one point into Decoy, grab a shotgun, and farm gold matches at level 1. Seriously, the decoy is that good.
Also, was it the QFE or Quariman?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Weren't we guaranteed a Medigel Capacity upgrade in the Victory pack, even if we were previously maxed out at 5?

Apparently not, just the cap raise.

I hope next time they try to tempt us with a Thermal Clip Pack carrying capacity upgrade, so we can boycott it somehow. And then succeed anyway because apparently the XBox people are nuts and/or numerous.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Felinoid posted:

I hope next time they try to tempt us with a Thermal Clip Pack carrying capacity upgrade.

I'd actually like this more than the medigel, because unlike medigel I have way more ammo than I can use.

I spent the night doing the Leviathan DLC. It's okay and it raises some interesting possibilities for future multiplayer DLC (Specifically it sets up an excuse/explanation for how we could have alliance controlled reaper forces..)

Also I got a Hurricane 2 which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Playing with a PD Slayer. Anyone got a good build? It's... different so far.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lagomorphic posted:

I'd actually like this more than the medigel, because unlike medigel I have way more ammo than I can use.

I spent the night doing the Leviathan DLC. It's okay and it raises some interesting possibilities for future multiplayer DLC (Specifically it sets up an excuse/explanation for how we could have alliance controlled reaper forces..)

Also I got a Hurricane 2 which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Is it worth :10bux:?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Personally, I thought so, if only barely. It has a few interesting fight scenes, some good dialog scenes. It's not as good as Lair of the Shadow Broker, but it's a pretty nicely contained experience that clocks in at around 2-3ish hours.

It exists pretty purely for its own sake. All it gives you at the end is some war assets and a throwaway line in the ending.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

VJeff posted:

Oh god, has anybody else gotten to the Basilisk line in the Leviathan DLC yet?

Laughed really, really goddamn hard at that.

Also, I want to be able to wear Husky the Husk Head as a codpiece when I'm in multiplayer.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

VJeff posted:

Personally, I thought so, if only barely. It has a few interesting fight scenes, some good dialog scenes. It's not as good as Lair of the Shadow Broker, but it's a pretty nicely contained experience that clocks in at around 2-3ish hours.

It exists pretty purely for its own sake. All it gives you at the end is some war assets and a throwaway line in the ending.

It also gets you some of the newer mods from multiplayer (omni-blade on the assault rifle, ultralight pistol materials) and a new decorative item for the captain's quarters that has to be seen to be believed.

EDIT: Also! The Dominate power becomes available for single-player. Haven't taken it for a spin yet.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Magic Love Hose posted:

It also gets you some of the newer mods from multiplayer (omni-blade on the assault rifle, ultralight pistol materials) and a new decorative item for the captain's quarters that has to be seen to be believed.

Unless it tops Dancing Kelly, I'm not interested.

That bitch could dance.

Mmmm.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Also from the DLC that could affect MP: You get Dominate as a bonus power, so my wishes for an Asari Vampire class is one step closer to becoming a thing.

The Raider needs to be in MP too.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'm joining the Valiant I club this operation. I'm trying to find something heavy-hitting and decently ranged to complement the Reegar on my Demolisher for when something is beyond grenade-n'-zap range. Is the Valiant worth it (with a piercing mod, right?)? Or should I just go back to my Black Widow I?

Valiant is absolutely worth it, especially on a Destroyer.

The difference between a Valiant and a BW is that the former is more like a designated marksman rifle; Really decent ROF for a semi auto rifle, significantly more damage per shot than any assault rifle, drat accurate. You can ignore the ammo limit of three shots per clip (four with Destroyer Mode on) because the reload is nearly instantaneous. Basically the rifle is perfect for dispatching mooks and mid-tier enemies (Marauders, Rocket Troopers, Centurions) at range. The high ROF and quick reload also make it very forgiving about missing a (head)shot or two.

The BW on the other hand is more of a "proper" sniper rifle. You'll want to go for headshots (and hit them) to maximize your damage output because the rate of fire between shots is significantly lower than with the Valiant. On the other hand, this rifle is also a pretty good boss killer.

So it comes down to what you expect from your rifle. Proper sniping and dealing lots of damage against bosses? BW.
Dispatching anything that's not a Banshee / Atlas / Geth really quickly at range? Valiant.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 29, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TacticalGranny posted:

SalEng is an awesome class. Put one point into Decoy, grab a shotgun, and farm gold matches at level 1. Seriously, the decoy is that good.
Also, was it the QFE or Quariman?

QFE. Currently I have turret damage/shields with flamethrower, incinerate specced all damage, including DOT and armor damage, and cryo blast with AOE and recharge speed since I figure I'll be using it exclusively against lots of weaker enemies and incinerate against armor.

I did see that SalEng's decoy just sit still in front of an Atlas beating on it for what seemed like a solid minute while I focused on other things, before turning around and realizing "oh hey, that thing is still there" so it definitely doesn't look like a bad skill.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I think I won the RNG lottery - my pack had a Hurricane.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Maaaaaaaan, after playing multiplayer for something like 4 months now, going back to SP for Leviathan (even with it set to insanity) was like playing on bronze.

Also I totally forgot that I can hold down shift to pause.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

jpmeyer posted:

Maaaaaaaan, after playing multiplayer for something like 4 months now, going back to SP for Leviathan (even with it set to insanity) was like playing on bronze.

Also I totally forgot that I can hold down shift to pause.

Yeah, I'm amazed at how straightforward insanity difficulty is. I'm playing as a Vanguard and a Stasis, Charge, Nova combo will kill a Phantom.

The Blood Pack SMG rules. Even moreso with rank 6 Incendiary ammo. :v:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Houdini posted:

Yeah, I'm amazed at how straightforward insanity difficulty is. I'm playing as a Vanguard and a Stasis, Charge, Nova combo will kill a Phantom.

The Blood Pack SMG rules. Even moreso with rank 6 Incendiary ammo. :v:

Playing a Novaguard on insanity is like soloing bronze. It's not even fun at that point.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Synonamess Botch posted:

Playing a Novaguard on insanity is like soloing bronze. It's not even fun at that point.

*tanks entire army of reapers plus death laser next to the game's final missile truck for five minutes straight*

*doesn't realise that it's supposed to be a desperate futile struggle and the final sequence won't trigger unless you are literally backed into the corner of the map*

you eventually get worn down because you literally do not have any opportunity to reload after a while

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Yes! Finally I have a Talon. Time to see what all the fuss is about. Who does this guy work with best? And don't say "stick it on anyone," I'm asking which class it best synchronizes with.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
This game has a single player mode? J/K.

Got an Eagle II in my pack. Still a long way from the Eagle 5-6 crowd though.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
I'm still fairly new to the game (finally getting the hand of silver matches), but I still don't get what the fuss is over stability.

I can see that many of the assault rifles need the stability weapon mod in order to be effective, but why bother with character builds and consumables based around it? If you want to get head shots that bad, why not just use a sniper rifle or scoped heavy pistol? Am I missing something?

On a different note, Phantoms are really pissing me off. They're not really a problem if I'm using a character with biotic charge, stasis, or the falcon assault rifle, but I can't seem to find other abilities or guns that work well on them. Any suggestions?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Is it worth :10bux:?

Others have covered this so I'll just say that it really does depend on how much you enjoy the single-player at this point. It's a good length and it adds in the weapon mods and the pre-order guns. It's a bit slow at first, it's nearly all talking and puzzles at first. There's two really good action segments towards the end though. Single player combat at this point is kind of an anti-climax though. It's just kind of funny when your teammates yell out "Banshee!" like a single Banshee is a big deal.

I was kind of lukewarm on it plot-wise the big reveal is mostly stuff you already know from the ending. Overall I did find it to be a worthwhile purchase so I'd say get it if the idea of an extra single-player mission appeals to you.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Yes! Finally I have a Talon. Time to see what all the fuss is about. Who does this guy work with best? And don't say "stick it on anyone," I'm asking which class it best synchronizes with.

My favorite Talon class is my Geth Infiltrator.

Other good choices:

Use it as a shotgun (Barrel/AP or Melee/AP) on a Batarian Soldier.
Use it as a sniper (Scope/AP) on any Engineer, and Turian Sentinel. Load with cryo or disruptor ammo for best results.

If you have barrage gear use it for any scoped Talon class.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Lagomorphic posted:

It's just kind of funny when your teammates yell out "Banshee!" like a single Banshee is a big deal.

This is exactly how I felt my first time through the main singleplayer. I'd already been playing the MP for weeks and after getting used to double banshees PLUS all the chaff around you, dealing with one at a time in the main game (even on insanity) is super duper not a big deal. I guess that fits in with how much of a ridiculous bad rear end Shepard is supposed to be anyway though.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Just got my Medigel Capacity Upgrade. Now I can waste 6 revives instead of 5 when I solo Gold!

Edit:

Lagomorphic posted:

My favorite Talon class is my Geth Infiltrator.
In that build, a Talon X with Tac Cloak and Hunter Mode on dishes out almost 1200 damage per shot. :wtc:

kalel fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 29, 2012

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Magic Love Hose posted:

EDIT: Also! The Dominate power becomes available for single-player. Haven't taken it for a spin yet.

Are these mods automatically loaded into multiplayer or do you have to unlock them via packs

Blompkin posted:

I'm still fairly new to the game (finally getting the hand of silver matches), but I still don't get what the fuss is over stability.

I can see that many of the assault rifles need the stability weapon mod in order to be effective, but why bother with character builds and consumables based around it? If you want to get head shots that bad, why not just use a sniper rifle or scoped heavy pistol? Am I missing something?

Because it's extremely effective to unload 20-50 bullets into a mook's head [usually 2-3 in succession] in under a second without having to zoom, aim, and adjust for recoil when dealing with a sniper rifle.

Get a Harrier or a Hurricane, and try it out. It's just so much more versatile and killy to be able to spray a pinpoint stream of bullets into someone's face, especially when advancing on a position.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 29, 2012

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Mr Dog posted:

*tanks entire army of reapers plus death laser next to the game's final missile truck for five minutes straight*

*doesn't realise that it's supposed to be a desperate futile struggle and the final sequence won't trigger unless you are literally backed into the corner of the map*

you eventually get worn down because you literally do not have any opportunity to reload after a while

My favorite part there was playing as an infiltrator with the Javelin with the piercing mod and AP ammo. I sat in that store with all of the ammo and medigels and shot enemies through three bookshelves and the wall of the building until I too realized that this was going on for way too long and something wasn't triggering.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Thundercracker posted:

Are these mods automatically loaded into multiplayer or do you have to unlock them via packs

It just puts the mods from Earth into the SP, you still have to unlock them in MP.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Blompkin posted:

On a different note, Phantoms are really pissing me off. They're not really a problem if I'm using a character with biotic charge, stasis, or the falcon assault rifle, but I can't seem to find other abilities or guns that work well on them. Any suggestions?

Phantoms get passive damage reduction when moving and even more when flipping around, have a palm mounted anti-tank gun for long range, shield-stripping melee and instakill for close range, can cloak AND are able to block powers with the Bullshit Shield (tm). So yeah, pretty much the definition of a bullshit enemy.

Saying that they are pretty much all cerberus has going for them so if you can deal with phantoms you can turn cerberus into a joke. Pretty much the best way to lock down phantoms is to stagger them. Keep them staggered and they are totally helpless allowing you or team mates to kill them easily.

I realise youre just starting out so you may not have any of this stuff unlocked yet, but this is by no means a comprehensive list and should just give you some ideas.

You want powers that stagger and/or hit instantly so they cant get that shield up. Reave and dark channel work very well. You want to strip their barrier fast so energy drain and overload are also good. The N7 fury eats them alive. Dark channel will kill them in one hit through damage over time and if they get close you can blow them the gently caress away thanks to annihilation field and steal their barrier. Batarian soldier also works well. Ballistic blades will stagger allowing you to follow with a heavy melee and if you take the explosive option at level 6 you can stagger them twice. Blade armor will do a lot of damage in a pinch if you cant avoid being meleed. A lash n smash from a cerb adept/vanguard is good too.

As for guns again you want that stagger so falcon, scorpion and maybe krysae are good. Guns which will do a ton of damage despite the innate damage reduction also work well like the harrier, claymore, piranha, reegar or geth plasma shotty especially if you use warp ammo and when equipped on an infiltrator with cloak specced for damage. I think you can one shot phantoms on silver with a claymore headshot.

E:

Gestalt Intellect posted:

QFE. Currently I have turret damage/shields with flamethrower, incinerate specced all damage, including DOT and armor damage, and cryo blast with AOE and recharge speed since I figure I'll be using it exclusively against lots of weaker enemies and incinerate against armor.

Cryo blast is also great against armor thanks to the weakening effect. Take all the bottom options in cryo blast and radius, burning damage and armor damage in incinerate. Melt things.

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 29, 2012

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
My connection issues appear to have been resolved by disabling the Windows firewall entirely. Adding exceptions was not enough.

Just played 3 successful matches with no disconnects, which has not happened in weeks. If you are seeing the lost connection error frequently and are running the built in Windows firewall (Win7), try turning it off.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I think the paladin makes the biggest joke from the phantoms. Energy drain will strip shields in no time and his melee hit always staggers them ontop of dealing tons of damage. Snap freeze can completely neuter a phantom because they will be trying to run at you at glacial speeds and don't shoot the palm blaster at close range. Not to mention if you have ice shield once they have no shields one melee hit turns them into a popsicle. Only class in the game that can cryo explosion a phantom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Crows Turn Off posted:

I think I won the RNG lottery - my pack had a Hurricane.
"You have lost your connection to the ME3 server" when I redeemed my Victory pack. Also, every character I promoted over the weekend pulled that vanishing trick they do sometimes.

Guess I lost that lottery unless the servers wake up and find my profile. Just gonna... wait a while before redeeming the Commendation Pack.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 29, 2012

• Locked thread