Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have a wsm and a 3lb salmon fillet. Virtual Weber says its hard to get the wsm low enough. Should I just go at 250 for an hour or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Ron Jeremy posted:

I have a wsm and a 3lb salmon fillet. Virtual Weber says its hard to get the wsm low enough. Should I just go at 250 for an hour or two?

Bring it up to temp real slow, start shutting off vents within 50F of your target temperature, and maybe layout your coals in the charcoal basket with a can in the middle, so that they burn in a big ring around the wsm. That'll help keep temps under control.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Siochain posted:

Doesn't even look like they carry Masterbuilt products anymore :/ heh

Okay, one last question before I bite the bullet:
Which is going to work best in -30 degree celcius weather? I like to BBQ in the cold, and if I can smoke something while its freezing a yaks tits off, even better.
no clue but beware of the rust. I imagine you'll have a heck of a time getting the temp up too. Are you in Canada or something?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
They also make smoker blankets to keep the heat in if you can't get the temp quite high enough. However, I think that with enough active charcoal and some sort of windbreak, it wouldn't be a problem at all. Just be prepared to use more charcoal than usual.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Holy poo poo I have a brand new WSM and it's cooking these ribs at almost 275. How do I get this temp down? I've got the vents almost closed.

edit: Well I closed almost all of em and now it went down to 200. This will take a little practice

coronaball fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 3, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

coronaball posted:

Holy poo poo I have a brand new WSM and it's cooking these ribs at almost 275. How do I get this temp down? I've got the vents almost closed.

edit: Well I closed almost all of em and now it went down to 200. This will take a little practice

The thing to do is to catch the temperatures on the way up. You want to start backing the vents down at 175 if you're looking to hit 225. It's really hard to bring the temperature back down after you've hit 300, and the thing will tend to start making lovely thick white smoke if you try to lower temps like that too quickly. It does take a bit of practice, but doing it this way really helps.

Also, how are you doing your coals? Do you light them all and put them all into the basket, as the WSM instructions state, or are you using what's called the "minion method," where you have a basket of unlit coals and you put about 10 lit coals on top of it, letting the coals light and burn down over several hours? The minion method is good for getting lower temps at the start.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
As you cook more you'll notice the WSM will be easier to keep at temp. All the grease and gunk will build up at rims and make a natural air seal.

But yeah, you have to catch the temp on the way up. Once it's too hot it's really hard to reduce the temp. Was your water pan full? Once you know how to keep your WSM at temp the water pan is less important but it's a great help at first.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 4, 2012

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Mach420 posted:

The thing to do is to catch the temperatures on the way up. You want to start backing the vents down at 175 if you're looking to hit 225. It's really hard to bring the temperature back down after you've hit 300, and the thing will tend to start making lovely thick white smoke if you try to lower temps like that too quickly. It does take a bit of practice, but doing it this way really helps.

Also, how are you doing your coals? Do you light them all and put them all into the basket, as the WSM instructions state, or are you using what's called the "minion method," where you have a basket of unlit coals and you put about 10 lit coals on top of it, letting the coals light and burn down over several hours? The minion method is good for getting lower temps at the start.

I did kind of a halfass minion method: I filled a chimney full of briquets and lit it, then went inside and looked the VWB forums and found out what the minion method was. I let the coals get about halfway lit then dumped them, thinking the unlit briquets on the top of the chimney would go underneath the hot ones at the bottom of the chimney. It sorta turned out like that.

Anyway its been at 220 for about an hour now with all vents open, so I'm pretty happy. Next time I think I'll do a proper minion method and make sure I have a consistent temp before I put the food on.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

MasterControl posted:

no clue but beware of the rust. I imagine you'll have a heck of a time getting the temp up too. Are you in Canada or something?

Hell yeah. Frozen north for life hahah.
Yeah, hadn't though of rust.
I'll have to do some more searching.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Mach420 posted:

They also make smoker blankets to keep the heat in if you can't get the temp quite high enough. However, I think that with enough active charcoal and some sort of windbreak, it wouldn't be a problem at all. Just be prepared to use more charcoal than usual.
you also can use a welding blanket or a hot water heater blanket.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

GigaFool posted:

I'm a staunch proponent of soaking cured fish in plain ice water for at least 60 minutes prior to air-drying + smoking. My belief is that it's always easier to add salt than to take it out, and my cold-smoked fish always comes out perfect when I do this.

I've used the same method many times in the past with great results, but my parents bought me an honest to goodness dehydrator so I thought I could at least try it. I live in a place that's practically a desert in terms of humidity, so I just use cooking racks and a box fan usually.

If I keep using this dehydrator, I will definitely try that, thanks for the advice.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
How long do beef ribs usually take to smoke? Do they behave the same as pork ribs?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Hey anyone here made jerky in their smokers, I'm mostly interested in doing it with a weber bullet smoker here.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Siochain posted:

Hell yeah. Frozen north for life hahah.
Yeah, hadn't though of rust.
I'll have to do some more searching.

I might be wrong with the rust, I just associate cold with ice and water. I say it because I've used two cheap smokers in the winter and they rusted over. Maybe it's just me or maybe just wrap it up like other are saying and try to keep it from a lot of wind? You canadian's are an industrious lot so I imagine there are some great workarounds. :canada:

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Brisket attempt no. 3 is on the smoker right now. I slathered it in olive oil, seasoned with coarse ground pepper and sea salt, injected it with a mix of soy sauce, apple juice, and some garlic powder.

Once the temp stabilizes I'm gonna get some sleep. I'll get up in a few hours and check on it.

My last 2 briskets have been tender, but dry. Around when are you guys wrapping your briskets?

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
Foil it once it breaks plateau, around 170F or so.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

fps_bill posted:

Brisket attempt no. 3 is on the smoker right now. I slathered it in olive oil, seasoned with coarse ground pepper and sea salt, injected it with a mix of soy sauce, apple juice, and some garlic powder.

Once the temp stabilizes I'm gonna get some sleep. I'll get up in a few hours and check on it.

My last 2 briskets have been tender, but dry. Around when are you guys wrapping your briskets?
wonder if the salt in the soy has anything to do with it being dry? Are you saving the juice from the wrap? I find that helps keep it moist after cutting for mine.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

fps_bill posted:

I usually smoke brisket @ 225f for 4 hours, then foil and transfer to the oven and bake @ 225f for another 6 or 7+ hours. Then for the last hour, I uncover and let the bark harden. After about 3 or 4 hours the meat becomes saturated with smoke and doesn't really absorb it anymore.

I've been using a 13 x 9 baking pan with an elevated cookie rack. I set the brisket on the rack and it gives me about 1/2 an inch of room for beer and the juices that leave the meat from cooking. I then cover the whole thing with foil. It's like a mini sweat box for the meat. This method produces tender and juicy meat for me every time.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Man speaks the truth. From what I remember reading about it, it's even worse than that because brisket doesn't just stop absorbing the smoke, it stops absorbing the good parts of the smoke and continues absorbing the unpleasant, ashy flavors.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Sorry for not updating. I kind of forgot i posted actually. This third one turned out not too too bad. When I woke up the first time it was about 165 so I wrapped it and went back to sleep. Woke up the 2nd time and it was 180ish so I pulled it off and threw it in the oven since the WSM was sitting around 200 and I didnt feel like loving with it anymore. I will say that it was juicier than my last 2 attempts, but I'm wishing I would have used my usual go to rub but seeing as how it had a run in with some apple pie spice I wasn't sure how it would work on beef.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
For the first time ever, I invested in a grill that wasn't a cheap semi-disposable sub-$20 college special from Wally World. I managed to find a Weber 22.5" One-touch Silver on mega-clearance for just over $50 new.

Then I did a bad, bad thing. Before even cracking the box, I ordered myself a Smokenator thereby spending more than I did on the grill for what appears to be a glorified piece of bent sheet metal.

...and so it begins.

I've got your standard grilling accessories, but am wondering what else I should pick up to make my first smoking experience as idiot-proof as possible. Perhaps a thermometer and a Jaccard?

What cut should I give my first go? Pork shoulder? Mostly looking to build some confidence early, and then branch out from there.

I can't wait to begin experimenting with different rub recipes, as I'm fortunate to be just up the street from a Penzey's.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Are there any suggestions for a temp controller for a WSM that can be seen over the internet or has alerts/wifi?

I've seen the CyberQ and it can send alerts, but I'm trying to find something that I could watch from work while it's smoking at home, so I don't have to wait until the weekend for a brisket or a shoulder or something.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

LTBS posted:

Are there any suggestions for a temp controller for a WSM that can be seen over the internet or has alerts/wifi?

I've seen the CyberQ and it can send alerts, but I'm trying to find something that I could watch from work while it's smoking at home, so I don't have to wait until the weekend for a brisket or a shoulder or something.

Have you considered making a HeaterMeter?

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Tenderloin posted:

I've got your standard grilling accessories, but am wondering what else I should pick up to make my first smoking experience as idiot-proof as possible. Perhaps a thermometer and a Jaccard?

For your first smoking experience I suggest buying a boston butt/pork shoulder. They are the hardest to mess up. Smoke it for about 4 hours @ 225, then wrap in foil and smoke/bake for another 8 hours. It's pretty much fool proof. Also, If you're lookin, it ain't cookin.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Just threw on 3 racks of sams club babby back ribs. Should turn out pretty awesome. Didn't have much paprika though so I had to go with a brown sugar based rub. Its my first time really doing a sweet rub. I'm doing 3 hours in the smoker @ 225 - 250 and then probably another hour or two in the oven using my technique posted earlier. I'll post picks of the finished product when it's done.

(click for huge)

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 1, 2012

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I got a new grill after moving and decided to go with a barrel shaped grill rather than a Weber. The Weber I previously used had an attachment that kept the charcoal off to one side, with a tray on top for water.

The barrel one that I got doesn't have anything like that, but I read that it is easy enough to get a tray for water, and put the charcoal the water tray, with the meat off to one side.

Does that seem like a solid plan, or are there better ways to do it without a formal smoker type add-on?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

So I got a new grill after moving and decided to go with a barrel shaped grill rather than a Weber. The Weber I previously used had an attachment that kept the charcoal off to one side, with a tray on top for water.

The barrel one that I got doesn't have anything like that, but I read that it is easy enough to get a tray for water, and put the charcoal the water tray, with the meat off to one side.

Does that seem like a solid plan, or are there better ways to do it without a formal smoker type add-on?

Naw, thatll be fine. Barrel as in horizontal barrel, not a stack smoker, yes?

|.MEAT..................................|
|.....................Water.............|
|..........................Charcoal.....|

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tenderloin posted:

For the first time ever, I invested in a grill that wasn't a cheap semi-disposable sub-$20 college special from Wally World. I managed to find a Weber 22.5" One-touch Silver on mega-clearance for just over $50 new.

Then I did a bad, bad thing. Before even cracking the box, I ordered myself a Smokenator thereby spending more than I did on the grill for what appears to be a glorified piece of bent sheet metal.

...and so it begins.

What cut should I give my first go? Pork shoulder? Mostly looking to build some confidence early, and then branch out from there.

I can't wait to begin experimenting with different rub recipes, as I'm fortunate to be just up the street from a Penzey's.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Yeah that's what I used before. It isn't bad but its a pain having to lift the entire grill just to replace charcoal, and good luck replacing wood chunks. But for that price even with the smokinator it sounds like you got a good deal.

And to the digital Jesus, yeah its horizontal. Appreciate your input. Just got it put together this morning. Going to start with some chicken his evening.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Did a pork shoulder yesterday, it came out really lovely. Weird because I did the same thing I always do with one change. Brined for 24 hours, rested. Smoked for 4 hours, and then finished in foil in the oven until 190. Normally I leave it on the smoker for the duration, but it was raining and I wanted to see if the oven made a difference. It ended up really tough and didn't pull well at all.

The only thing I can think of, besides the oven, is that since it was so small (4lbs) it ended up cooking really fast, 8 hours total instead of the usual 11 or so. Maybe the quicker time made the connective tissue not break down as much?

Flavor was right and it still made good sandwiches, but not nearly as delicious as normal.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 4, 2012

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
At 190 it may not have been done. Having to go to 195 or even 200 is not uncommon.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
All of the <4lb butts that I've ever cooked have come out pretty bad compared to the big ones.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

190 is really low for a butt of any size. I've yet to have one come out properly below 200.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

I followed this method to a T on a 5.5 lb pork butt last weekend it it turned out amazing. 10.5 hours on the WSM and then 45 minutes of rest in a 170 degree oven. Pork butt had been my nemesis back when I had my lovely electric Brinkmann, but this pulled apart perfectly and had great flavor

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

Unfortunately I neglected to take any pics of that. I did take some lovely cell phone pics of the STL ribs I made a few weeks back. These also turned out great.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Astronaut Jones posted:

Have you considered making a HeaterMeter?
drat right, HeaterMeter for Life!

The hardware for merging a HeaterMeter with a RaspberryPi with a wifi dongle is done, just working on a case prototype now. The new Pi version has everything mounted on the PCB so it's easier to build, and doesn't require extra hardware to flash. Just write an SD card, pop it in and it programs the microcontroller automatically. Smaller, cheaper, and a lot easier.

The alarm code is in but the notifications to email/SMS/twitter/etc aren't done yet. I may sound like I'm selling this project but actually I'm just the sole developer of it and like people to use it because it is badass.
New HeaterMeter Raspberry Pi thread

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Oooh.. nice work!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

coronaball posted:

I wouldnt sperg too much about a 275 temp. I think (but I could be wrong about this) that more and more pros are cooking closer to this mark rather than lower. I've certainly never had an issue bumping up to about 275-300 to try and speed up a cook. Although to be fair with ribs I can understand your trepidation. A bigger, fattier cut is going to be a little more forgiving. I've done it with ribs too but I watched it pretty closely.

EDIT: Yeah I should look at post dates a little more closely but my advice still stands.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

CapnBry posted:

drat right, HeaterMeter for Life!

Indeed, I love mine.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

I wouldnt sperg too much about a 275 temp. I think (but I could be wrong about this) that more and more pros are cooking closer to this mark rather than lower. I've certainly never had an issue bumping up to about 275-300 to try and speed up a cook. Although to be fair with ribs I can understand your trepidation. A bigger, fattier cut is going to be a little more forgiving. I've done it with ribs too but I watched it pretty closely.

EDIT: Yeah I should look at post dates a little more closely but my advice still stands.

Also I read on the WSM forums that the dial thermometer that comes installed in the lid of the WSM actually reads 12 degrees warmer than the actual temperature on the grill really is. So 275 is probably nothing to freak out about and 250 certainly isn't.

I hadn't planned on making anything this weekend, but then the grocery store put beef ribs on sale for 99 cents a lb so I guess I'm eating beef ribs and watching football.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

coronaball posted:

Also I read on the WSM forums that the dial thermometer that comes installed in the lid of the WSM actually reads 12 degrees warmer than the actual temperature on the grill really is. So 275 is probably nothing to freak out about and 250 certainly isn't.

I hadn't planned on making anything this weekend, but then the grocery store put beef ribs on sale for 99 cents a lb so I guess I'm eating beef ribs and watching football.

Pulled pork this weekend for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I've got 16 racks of ribs in the freezer and I'm on a diet so I've not smoked once this summer. I need the freezer space so I think I'm going to smoke them anyways and sell them to friends.