Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What I didn't like about the ending was that they practically beat you over the head with traitors being tortured in the worst ways possible for as long as possible during The Initiation, and then nothing really came of that. Unless Mr. Tong's bit was supposed to fulfill that. But that was barely anything! You got a power drill in the leg once and like one of your fingers snapped off, right? Which is bad, but hardly as bad as what they were saying would happen if you were found to be a traitor to Sun On Yee during The Initiation.

There was likely plenty more nastiness in store. Wei escaping kind of ruins that.

Ariza posted:

What are the best cars in each class for racing? I bought a Drifter GT and it doesn't do real well in its class when I try to race it.

Near as I can tell, there really isn't much difference between vehicles within a class, at least not enough to make or break a race. Class B races are just a bitch and a half because you are expected to do some tricky handling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Ariza posted:

What are the best cars in each class for racing? I bought a Drifter GT and it doesn't do real well in its class when I try to race it.

I had the same issue, the drifter's acceleration is sort of bad. Use the Executive, it's way easier.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I had the most issues with the races using the default bike you start with. That thing turns like loving poo poo, if you try and drift it goes the opposite way.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I still don't think I ahve the drifting down in the game. Hitting the e-brake pretty much makes me do a complete 180 in the direction I'm turning the wheel. I've managed most of the races, though, with only, like, 4 cars and 3 bikes. Maybe I got lucky or something, but someone earlier said he couldn't race well in the drifter while I did fine, so I have no idea.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Speaking of the escape from the interrogation, I was a little confused about what was going on. The one guard says, "I'll check on our guest!" and walks into the room to have a smoke while I'm cutting my chains with a saw, then I have free run of those two rooms while both guys completely ignore me and my bloody footprints until I figure out that I can stealth-kill them. Was it a dream? Did my game bug out? Were both guards blind? :iiam:

SpacePig posted:

I still don't think I ahve the drifting down in the game. Hitting the e-brake pretty much makes me do a complete 180 in the direction I'm turning the wheel.
Just tap the E-brake button. Holding it down for any length of time will just bring you to a screeching halt.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Are there any scooter races? Sometimes I just wanna tear up the road in a Vespa :sigh:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Just tap the E-brake button. Holding it down for any length of time will just bring you to a screeching halt.

Also it does help to experiment with pressing the gas and the e-brake at the same time. It does help in some cases.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I tried that, because that's usually the way it works, but I'd just keep sliding in the same direction without making the turn... :(

GoldenNugget posted:

Also it does help to experiment with pressing the gas and the e-brake at the same time. It does help in some cases.

See, this is what I normally did until I gave up. Maybe I'll try the opposite next time.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Ariza posted:

I did pretty well with the Terre GT on Class B races. The Velocita (not sure on the spelling, but the most expensive car) and the most expensive bike were what I used for the Class A races.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Speaking of the escape from the interrogation, I was a little confused about what was going on. The one guard says, "I'll check on our guest!" and walks into the room to have a smoke while I'm cutting my chains with a saw, then I have free run of those two rooms while both guys completely ignore me and my bloody footprints until I figure out that I can stealth-kill them. Was it a dream? Did my game bug out? Were both guards blind? :iiam:

Oh, that's definitely a bug. I choked out the first guy with a light cord and drowned the second one in his own piss before unloading gunfire on a room full of thugs.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

Oh, that's definitely a bug. I choked out the first guy with a light cord and drowned the second one in his own piss before unloading gunfire on a room full of thugs.

How did you get a gun at that point? You have to beat up the room of thugs then get outside onto the roof before the guys with the guns show up.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Yeah, after the first two (cord and toilet) you're stumbling around until you get to the next room and make a miraculous recovery to let you beat up the 5 guys in there.

Then it's business as usual. I guess they just really wanted to show off how good their stumbling physics were or something.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

MrBling posted:

Yeah, after the first two (cord and toilet) you're stumbling around until you get to the next room and make a miraculous recovery to let you beat up the 5 guys in there.

Then it's business as usual. I guess they just really wanted to show off how good their stumbling physics were or something.

I loved the entire escape bit, just because I assumed Wei was hosed up from the torturing, and was hoping for the whole section to be like the first bit where he's just stumbling around bleeding out. I thought for a minute you might get a huge sun on yee convoy come in to help you, since when you actually think about it you barely fight alongside any of the gang throughout the game, apart for one or two missions.

Still, the way they took it, while a little jarring, still was cool because Sun on Yee motherfucker, i'll break every bone in your body.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kind of interesting at the end how Auntie Jiang and Wei parallel Uncle Po and Pendrew, since Po used Pendrew to eliminate all his enemies in the triad and leave him as Dragon Head, and now it's the same thing with Jiang and Wei.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ximum posted:

There was likely plenty more nastiness in store. Wei escaping kind of ruins that.

Near as I can tell, there really isn't much difference between vehicles within a class, at least not enough to make or break a race. Class B races are just a bitch and a half because you are expected to do some tricky handling.

There are huge differences in cars within each class. The Terre GT is the fastest B-Class car, and will trounce the AI competitors handily, vs the Drifter which blows and is usually the first B-Class people get.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm having an annoying problem every time I load up Sleeping Dogs. After about 3 minutes of playing a Windows pop-up shifts me to windowed mode. The pop-up asks if I want to change the Windows Color Scheme to Basic. I always tell it no and not to bother me again, then I have to restart the game to get back into fullscreen mode. I'm fine for the rest of the day, but after shutting down my computer/coming back to play another day, it will happen again. I've tried to figure out how to get rid of the pop-up coming up every day the first time I load the game, or for the game at least to ignore it and not shift to windowed mode but haven't had any luck. Can anybody offer any help?

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I'm having an annoying problem every time I load up Sleeping Dogs. After about 3 minutes of playing a Windows pop-up shifts me to windowed mode. The pop-up asks if I want to change the Windows Color Scheme to Basic. I always tell it no and not to bother me again, then I have to restart the game to get back into fullscreen mode. I'm fine for the rest of the day, but after shutting down my computer/coming back to play another day, it will happen again. I've tried to figure out how to get rid of the pop-up coming up every day the first time I load the game, or for the game at least to ignore it and not shift to windowed mode but haven't had any luck. Can anybody offer any help?

Try pressing alt + enter.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Yeah, I did mean the environmental kills, but I still felt like a ghost in that scene.

SpacePig posted:

I tried that, because that's usually the way it works, but I'd just keep sliding in the same direction without making the turn... :(
The way I do it is to hold the direction I want to turn, then tap the E-brake, which is usually enough to spin in that direction. Or turn that way and slam into a wall.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I would have been much more satisfied with the final battle if Wei Shen had started hulking up since he had already shrugged off a shotgun blast. He could have started shaking his head and stomping around, the entire time doing the stupid triangle quicktime when Lee tries to punch him and he counters each one.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 29, 2012

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

SpacePig posted:

See, this is what I normally did until I gave up. Maybe I'll try the opposite next time.

My technique is to let off the gas, start turning, then press brake and then a slight moment after press accelerator, and let off the gas once I'm done turning. Try it this way, the brake will start spinning you and then the gas will start pushing you in the direction you want to go. Let off gas when you're aligned right.

Is there any way to get a fish in the open world? I need the cheevo. Also, one thing I would change about this is to add some more melee weapons. Gimme a sword, guys. I know its kinda goofy but maybe grabbing a sword in the temple and fighting a dozen guys would have been a cool moment.

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 29, 2012

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Fonzarelli posted:

My technique is to let off the gas, start turning, then press brake and then a slight moment after press accelerator, and let off the gas once I'm done turning. Try it this way, the brake will start spinning you and then the gas will start pushing you in the direction you want to go. Let off gas when you're aligned right.

Is there any way to get a fish in the open world? I need the cheevo. Also, one thing I would change about this is to add some more melee weapons. Gimme a sword, guys. I know its kinda goofy but maybe grabbing a sword in the temple and fighting a dozen guys would have been a cool moment.

Errr, maybe try going back into club bam-bam and smashing a random guest into the fishtanks?

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
You could always replay one of the missions. Either the Club Bam Bam one or the fish market/dock one where you chase Dog Eyes.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If you're feeling ballsy, it's technically possible to do it in the last mission.

Hinora
Mar 1, 2009
Oh SuperGreatFriend :allears:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jerusalem posted:

Can anybody offer any help?

You're running out of memory and vista/win7 is trying to shed its Aero effects to regain a few MB. Change your desktop theme to Windows classic before starting the game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

There a list floating around on where to get the different firearms? I never encountered a silver .50 pistol, or a .45 pistol without the flashlight attachment.

I want my valueless achievement points :argh:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

No it won't, the trick is to keep your throttle down as you drift. the Ebrake doesn't really function like an E-brake, but like a driftu button in an old arcadey racer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nuts and Gum posted:

You're running out of memory and vista/win7 is trying to shed its Aero effects to regain a few MB. Change your desktop theme to Windows classic before starting the game.

The game/windows runs absolutely fine if I tell it to ignore it though, and I don't want to (and shouldn't have to) change my desktop theme to play a game.

I should have thought of the Alt + Enter thing immediately though, I feel stupid for forgetting that. I'll try it next time this comes up.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Pork Bun Guy on Facebook. It got a cheap smile from me.

https://www.facebook.com/PorkBunGuy

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jerusalem posted:

The game/windows runs absolutely fine if I tell it to ignore it though, and I don't want to (and shouldn't have to) change my desktop theme to play a game.

I should have thought of the Alt + Enter thing immediately though, I feel stupid for forgetting that. I'll try it next time this comes up.

I get the same thing. Apparently 16gb ram is just not enough to keep aero running alongside Sleeping Dogs? Except that everything runs fine.

I think Win7 is just stupid.

Also, Alt+Enter works fine.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Got to play this for a couple of hours yesterday and, after struggling with the controls and camera a bit, started to enjoy it and eventually put it on my wishlist.

I'm not sure how I feel about the vehicle design and driving physics, as neither seemed very impressive, but the melee fighting and the general look and feel of the game seems to make up for it. From what I saw, it seemed that Sleeping Dogs has been influenced by the Yakuza series more than by any other game.

As my laptop is barely above the minimum specs, does anyone know if the game looks significantly worse on a PS3 than on a mid-range gaming PC?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Here's a video you should watch. Squeenix gave a bunch of cash to a dude and told him to make a short live action Sleeping Dogs film. It's ... well honestly it's pretty loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WgWMgGrZDY

It's a little slow at the start, but once it kicks off holy shitballs. Some amazing fight choreography in there, and coming from an amateur setup my mind is blown.

There's also this little Shenmue mashup thing which is also worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDdgKAf6f6U

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Parkingtigers posted:

Here's a video you should watch. Squeenix gave a bunch of cash to a dude and told him to make a short live action Sleeping Dogs film. It's ... well honestly it's pretty loving amazing.

It's a little slow at the start, but once it kicks off holy shitballs. Some amazing fight choreography in there, and coming from an amateur setup my mind is blown.
:stare: That actually was pretty badass, drat.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Parkingtigers posted:

ahaha oh holy poo poo that's good.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Parkingtigers posted:

:suspense:

That was really loving cool, I was not expecting fight scenes that good. Cool stuff.

Snake Charmer
Aug 8, 2004

I am in awe; that "amateur" could be choreographing for the Bourne series.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Capn Beeb posted:

There a list floating around on where to get the different firearms? I never encountered a silver .50 pistol, or a .45 pistol without the flashlight attachment.

I want my valueless achievement points :argh:

Both of those can be found in the same mission where:

The mission where Ponytail shows up at the club and starts poo poo, and you have to shoot your way through the club then chase him down.

The silver .50 is on one of the two guys upstairs in the club right at the start immediately after you deal with the triad with the hostage, held by one of the two men behind him. The one on the left.

The .45 with no tac light can be found on a guy on the ground floor of the club immediately after, to the left of the round main floor bar from where you will be facing after picking up the silver .50, if you look down off the balcony at the assholes shooting up at you.

I just had to find them last night myself.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

PC port sucks with KB/Mouse. Its super obnoxious to drive to the point I just gave up.

And gently caress gamepads.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BitBasher posted:

Both of those can be found in the same mission where:

The mission where Ponytail shows up at the club and starts poo poo, and you have to shoot your way through the club then chase him down.

The silver .50 is on one of the two guys upstairs in the club right at the start immediately after you deal with the triad with the hostage, held by one of the two men behind him. The one on the left.

The .45 with no tac light can be found on a guy on the ground floor of the club immediately after, to the left of the round main floor bar from where you will be facing after picking up the silver .50, if you look down off the balcony at the assholes shooting up at you.

I just had to find them last night myself.

What? Just beat up a cop and disarm him. Instant no taclight 45 within the first 20 min of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Sylink posted:

PC port sucks with KB/Mouse. Its super obnoxious to drive to the point I just gave up.

And gently caress gamepads.

What, no? The trick to driving on the pc is to just leave the mouse alone unless you have to aim a gun.

• Locked thread